Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Well for one there's no 'golden hour' time of day which is the best time of day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

If they want to reprint reserved list cards they can just add an extra line of text to any of those cards. It's a bummer for those who want to play Vintage, but it's not like there's actual creative blockers from them reprinting em'. They could, tomorrow, print:

quote:

Badderlands, Mountain/Swamp:

T: Clap your hands.
T: Add R or B.

or

quote:

Gaea's Bosom, Legendary Land

Vigilance

T: Add G for each creature you control.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Mat Cauthon posted:

If they start printing Reserve List cards (or functional reprints with slight tweaks) that opens to the door to the conversation of why can't WOTC just reprint enough of every expensive card to bring costs down and make the game more accessible to new players, or even just shift to direct sales and custom ordering through whatever subsidiary or partner.

These doors are not only open but has been pretty much nonstop discussed since forever ago.

& it does seem like they've actually done a good job with this as of late. My mental calendar slots it as to when we got the Damnation reprint as to when a very long dry spell for competitive cards finally started seeing reprints again.

Lone Goat posted:

Goon finds One Weird Trick to get around the reserved list. Collectors hate them!

The real 'one weird trick' is to just make proxies :clint:

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Glorious.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

The image of someone struggling to shuffle PSA grade plastic plates is kind of hilarious tbf.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Dissapointed the mind flayer doesn't have Friends Forever.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Now that is what Secret Lair art should aspire to. Beautiful!

Also, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYJLXvJdWSY

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

clues draw cards, treasure adds mana, food adds life... what else is there to token? Probably a super generic 1/1 right?

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Why did no one post this when it came out? epic marketing spend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJlfmLjPgxk

Amazing.

ok so the first clip is of a kid randomly finding someone's trade binder and oooing at it.

second is a guy doing push ups while playing Arena

a infographic designer who's sad making charts and blows work off to play Arena

oh the first kid can summon fire now

a guy who uses his temporal magic to make an old lady stock a dystopian grocery with thousands of Dominara Flake cereal faster

the designer intimidates her neighbors doing loud construction instead of just getting headphones

Love this goofy stuff and legit wonder if anyone has ever picked up the game from a commercial like this.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Feels like a flavor fail that Blood costs one mana and not life. Have to imagine the original text had life payment instead and it got changed after they'd cemented the card name.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Magic Art got good again in the past few years. Felt kinda stagnant/blah for a lot of the 2010's, but man every new set has some great work in it. Special/alt cards included and aside.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

It's hilarious they didn't even bother giving him any of those abilities, so unless you have other creatures he comes down as a vanilla 3/3. idk, maybe blood will prove super powerful tho.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

AngryBooch posted:

New Lair featuring Brooklyn Art collective MSCHF?

https://twitter.com/JordanUhl/status/1456686159904579584

I'm laughing at the Plains.

MSCHF do good work, this included. Monday every two weeks they do a 'drop', so wonder if this guy jumped the gun and beat an announcement this Monday.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Same. The Jumpstart lands were a slam dunk on collectibles.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Have they hinted at all if they're selling that MSCHF Secret Lair? Feel like it would make a good xmas gift.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

w/ all the basic land Secret Lairs, wonder if we've reached the point yet where you could theoretically build an entire EDH deck out of SL cards. The mtg equivalent of ordering a gold gilded steak.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Went to buy a draft booster box of Crimson Vow and my LGS was selling it for $140. Is that actually what they're selling for now generally? Online I'm seeing it closer to a hundred.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Well what's the point if you're not buying a playset.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Going in coughing with a playset of

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

AngryBooch posted:

Yes, they don't have the new Acorn shaped foil stamp on the bottom that the new Unset will have (as the new unset is switching to black borders instead of silver)

Wait wait what, they're doing away with the silver borders? Balderdash!

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

As someone that's played w/ silver border cards in cubes and casual decks for years now, sure why not. Still, kind of a bummer as the silver border looks beautiful.

Love love this art, but the border is definitely dropping the ball for that flat retro feel.

quote:

galaxy foil (the foil looks like stars in space; we aren't showing it off today but will show it off as we get closer to Unfinity's release)

lol, is mtg finally going to embrace Pokemon style foils?

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Nov 29, 2021

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Giant Teddy Bear's now legal in legacy formats! :toot:

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

boo, the article lies!

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Also the folks from Ready Something Run, which good for them.

Target Minotaur legacy legal please.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

They're making tourney winner cards embedded with store names on them. Feels late to do so, but kind of sweet.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

The good news is it's an Alchemy card so they can just keep changing it until morale improves.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Possibly my favorite old card, if only because I totally played with this specific version of the card that omitted the 'until end of turn'. So, naturally, I'd play this and it'd grow by 3 power every turn til I could swing in with a big boy.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

It's still funny to me that YuGiOh and Pokemon both screwed themselves over early by making a major subset of cards free-to-play. Gotta get those cost systems in.

Hadn't heard of Welder, but it's especially funny that the extra 'cost' of that card is also a bonus thing that accelerates you two turns. In MTG terms this is like a 0 cost spell that reads:

"Add RR. If you do, draw three cards."

Love it.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jan 3, 2022

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Fair. And lol, at least it gives each player the option so it's clearly balanced.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

GonSmithe posted:

New leak that I didn't see posted here. Seems very very good.

This will go great in my Soulshift deck.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

What a bummer bout' Seb. Guy has an incredible art style that's been a welcome return to mtg cards looking weird, and seemed like they took notice. Hope they can split his contracts into hiring other folks with distinctive looks.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Missed opportunity having 'Banding' so high up there. Shoudla be near the bottom.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Although it's easily fixed by changing "feminism and healthcare" to "population control" which was the actual topic but naturally they couldn't admit to that so they went with bullshit instead.

Oh I recognize this rabbit hole you're hinting at. Chatted at length with some anti-vaxxers for awhile as it became apparent it was the root of their belief system. For those spared of that line of thought it goes:

"Bill Gates has talked about how overpopulation will be a problem -> therefore he wants there to be less people -> which will be done via killing people -> which will be done putting chemicals in the water, chem trails, 5G, vaccines, etc. etc."

Granted, I'm not saying Perry believes all that, but that's one road where those bread crumbs go. It's dumb, but hey, people need movie villains.

Anyhoo, anyone drafted Kamigawa yet virtually? Seems like it'd be a blast, though I'm curious how complicated it gets with all the cards with twenty subtypes.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Feb 8, 2022

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

The entitlement from that "New MTG Project" is bewildering. It's so wild to see someone blatantly say: hey I'm going to try to make a profit off a major corp's IP, and then act disappointed when said major corp slaps them down.

Heck, their site openly flaunts the idea that they'd make enough $$ off this to buy Magic from Wizards of the Coast.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Feb 15, 2022

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Strong Sauce posted:

Chun-Li, Countless Kicks

Multikicker W/U

ha ha ha

Still bummed for MTG overall, but it is fun to see fan-art cards that aren't made by eight year olds.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

His schtick of starting vids in the "oh, hello there" pose, among other things, is so dang dorky. Endearingly so.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Wait didn't cyber ninjas just come out

Lone Goat posted:

"Triomes" are in New Capenna

Also some awesome basics

And the Strangers Things cards are appearing in the SET boosters, with Innistrad theming (note the "=SLD###" in the collector numbers)

This is the perfect way to re-intergrate em', love it. I want to be friends forever with Bjorna, Nightfall Alchemist :ohdear:

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

HootTheOwl posted:

At the time of posting the professor's deck box has raised $796,015.
800k seems like a lot for a deckbox, lmao. Their goal wa sonly 50k.

900k now. Honestly, good for him, why not.

I like the banner on his landing image that says "Funded in 17 minutes!". Great great call not announcing the stretch goals to start so they can move those goal posts.

That press-release is hilarious imo. And the notion makes enough sense. "Enjoy this theme that swaps out drugs for candy, but try to keep it relatively kid friendly" is the same kind of thing you get with kids playing pirates. Or that whole musical, Bugsy Malone where a bunch of kids are mafia members who throw pie to off one another. Could have been worded better, but ah well. Amusing to read as is.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Mar 16, 2022

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

One million dollars for your deck boxes, sir. Wowee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

The stretch goals are delightful. One is he has to rock a mustache, another that he has to explain how magnets work.