Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Yawgmoth posted:

If it's a big enough problem, you could try out Snakeskin Veil to protect your really important guys. Otherwise I think it's just a matter of running enough of the "when this hits, draw a card" stuff to out-value them.

Yeah if you're on the play and manage to swing with Werewolf Pack Leader and Reckless Stormseeker turn 3 you're usually off to the races

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Speaking of MTG advertising I remember back around like the M10 release every poster and piece of ad copy was like "YOU are a PLANESWALKER." and I wonder if that ever confused people about the rules and made them think stuff that targets planeswalkers can go face

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Huh, now that I'm looking at scryfall, I didn't realize that they just went with the "anything that damages target player can also damage target planeswalker" thing for several sets; I thought that was just a way to errata pre-PW cards to give more avenues of interaction. Looks like good old Hero's Downfall was the first "target creature or planeswalker" card.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Cactrot posted:

I think it was dreadbore.

You're right, that beats it, not sure what I messed up in my search.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I don't think anyone's come straight out and said Crimson Vow won't have double faced/transform cards but I also don't really get the impression it will. I hope daybound/nightbound sticks around though; it's got some legs on it.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

HootTheOwl posted:

Wouldn't daybound necessitate DFC transform cards? I'm under the idea that a daybound card is required to have a night side.

Oh yeah sorry I meant day/night in general but now that I think about it, I take back what I said lol. I think I was basing it on misreading MaRo's answer to this question, and the fact that he's said Spirits will have a new mechanic that's not Disturb. But re-reading this answer it sounds like he's saying the set WILL have DFC Werewolves, just that they may be limited in quantity due to the extra wrinkles associated with DFCs.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

MikeCrotch posted:

MTGgrindcast were wondering if there is some sort of Abrade type effect that could be maindeckable to deal with the Chariot

Crew is an activated ability so you can Pithing Needle it right?

I'm thinking about running Prismari Command maindeck in my dragons/turns deck. Hell you can even take a cat down with it. And yeah, I believe you can Needle it:

quote:

702.121a Crew is an activated ability of Vehicle cards. “Crew N” means “Tap any number of untapped creatures you control with total power N or greater: This permanent becomes an artifact creature until end of turn.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

mcmagic posted:

The turns deck without creatures is way better.

Got a list in particular you'd recommend?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

That looks really annoying, I'll check it out. Surprised I haven't seem to run into it yet

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Played a few games with it now and it's pretty fun. After never seeing the deck before now I ran into the mirror on like my third go lol. It was honestly pretty intense because a lot of your plays are pretty counter-spell resistant, between making copies of stuff and Galvanic Iteration itself having flashback.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Chamale posted:

Read Bereaved Survivor. "When another creature you control dies, transform Bereaved Survivor." By the rules, if two creatures die, there should be two triggers - one would transform Bereaved Survivor into Dauntless Avenger, and then the second would transform it back. That's clearly not how the card is meant to work, but is there any text or rule that says that's not how it works? Are we back to using intuition over rules when the card text doesn't seem to make sense?

701.28f If an activated or triggered ability of a permanent that isn’t a delayed triggered ability of that permanent tries to transform it, the permanent transforms only if it hasn’t transformed since the ability was put onto the stack. If a delayed triggered ability of a permanent tries to transform that permanent, the permanent transforms only if it hasn’t transformed since that delayed triggered ability was created. In either case, if the permanent has already transformed, the instruction to transform is ignored.

edit: apparently this was added back in Shadows Over Innistrad so Archangel Avacyn wouldn't flip back and forth a bunch of times if she got multiple death triggers

goferchan fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Sep 25, 2021

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Gramps posted:

Once it transforms there's no longer a creature called bereaved survivor in play. It's dauntless avenger so if there were two triggers on the stack the second trigger would do nothing

Don't think this is correct though. "Cardname" just means "this card" doesn't it? If the ability said "Put a +1/+1 token on Bereaved Survivor and transform it" I believe you would still get a token for every creature death but still only one flip.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

disaster pastor posted:

To be clear, Mana Drain isn't used in Legacy because it's been banned for almost 20 years.

I can absolutely understand why "Counterspell with significant upside" is very loving good, but I'm actually a little surprised it's "banned in legacy" good. Is the text just that strong, or is there some busted interaction where you're "countering" your own can't be countered spells to generate a ton of mana or something?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

fadam posted:

I've been thoroughly enjoying that UR Turns deck (although I switched my mana around to run Frostbite) and I spent the past like 20 games griping about how bad Divide by Zero was and not understanding why it was in the list over Into the Roil but not wanting to swap it out until I just now two seconds ago realized that it can also target spells lmfao.

I guess I never drafted Strixhaven so it was never really relevant but man I only now realized you can discard and draw a card when you Learn instead of pulling a lesson from your sideboard lol.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Lol

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

mcmagic posted:

Alrund's Epiphany is a dead card walking.

You saying you think it'll get a ban? I don't think it's an incredibly oppressive Time Walk card in a vacuum, but when they inevitably print more they probably need to be a little worse than Epiphany in the future. Dodging hand disruption with foretell is kind of insult to injury because there are already very few ways to interact with opponent's sorceries, and this just narrows it down to counterspells, and if you're running counterspells you might as well also play Epiphany.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

If I copy Memory Deluge with Galvanic Iteration is "X" for "the amount of mana spent to cast this spell" 0 for the copy, or is it the same as the original cast? I think the answer is the latter but I don't really understand why.

edit: also it feels a little sloppy having Magecraft ("whenever you cast or copy...") stuff mixed up in Standard with cards like Poppet Stitcher that have similar triggers but don't care about copies. Just ran into a guy on MTGA with a very cool izzet brew where he clearly was not aware of that non-interaction either :(

goferchan fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Oct 3, 2021

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Dr. Stab posted:

The reason is that rule 707.10 says that when you copy a spell or ability, you copy all choices made while casting it. Mana costs paid, values for x, modes, targets, kicker, just about anything about the original spell copies over.

Gotcha, figured there was a specific rule to it, thank you!

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Nibble posted:

Tbh I think I'd feel worse if I opened a powerful card, built a deck around it, played it in a game, then found out my opponent has a card that makes me instantly lose the game because I played my good card.

I had to look up the "banned" cards out of curiosity, and I can't decide if this wording is quaint or just janky.

"literally ALL" is so funny lol

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

MeinPanzer posted:

That reminds me of how my brother and I from 1995-2000 got totally into CCGs, starting with MTG and then the Star Wars and Pokemon CCGs. We picked up MTG pretty quickly and really enjoyed it, playing it a bunch, but when we saw that there was a SWCCG our minds were blown because it was like that, but with Star Wars characters. We naturally started collecting it, building decks, and picking up issues of Inquest and Scrye magazine to learn about what sets were upcoming.

There used to be a great thread in this subforum for assorted old TCGs and some of the designs people posted there were fascinating. Has that wound up in the archives? I used to have it bookmarked but lost it and can't figure out what to search for, but if anyone has a link handy I'd appreciate it

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Qwertycoatl posted:

Wizards have got a lot better at templating over the years too. Remember the jank of early cards?

I really really like picturing some kid getting really excited and then suddenly let down as he reads the text and realizes he doesn't get to keep his opponent's card after the game is over

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Simone Magus posted:

do players even want new mechanics all the time? Learn/Lesson was great, Dungeons were cool, but Day/Night doesn't seem to have been tested very well and it often seems to amount to essentially "at various times throughout the match, Do A Thing" which is definitely not bad but feels... blah to play

Day/Night actually will be sticking around in Crimson Vow, so there's a returning one for you. I agree that I miss that aspect of block releases, for all their other issues, and wouldn't mind them giving some new mechanics more room to breathe.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Check out their username

Lol

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Lol that's honestly a really cute concept.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Lmao is MaRo's "new mechanic that removes something we've never removed before" a mechanic that removes "words in square brackets"? Glad I didn't bet any money on that one

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Holy poo poo Ayami Kojima Castlevania-style alt arts 😍😍😍

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Magnetic North posted:

Heeey look, the Godzilla treatment. And it's not a tie in to Burger King or whatever, it's just something that is cool and thematic for fans to enjoy. How loving about that.

Yeah I wasn't nuts about the Godzilla stuff but I think this is a pretty sweet tie-in. Plus it's public domain so win-win for WotC lol

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

fadam posted:

lol absolute best name they could have picked

Card would probably be playable if it could target itself (perhaps not adding counters), not sure if it's good enough without that. 4 mana is a lot to spend on a card that needs a friend.

Yeah don't really see this doing much that Reckless Stormseeker can't do better

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Wonder if we'll see a 1-mana "If it's not day or night, it becomes day" card in this set, or if it's something they're avoiding intentionally. The current event mode in MTGA automatically starts the cycle at start of game and it's pretty interesting how much it changes things up; unless both players have a 1-drop in their starting hand it will usually stay Night for quite a few turns.

edit: It would be significantly swingy based on turn order, though -- much much more likely your opponent will be able to play a card and keep it daytime on their turn 2 than on their turn 1. I can see that being a decent reason to avoid it.

goferchan fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Oct 31, 2021

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

drat I really wish that activated ability were GB for Brawl/Commander purposes. Seems like a blast with Vorinclex and proliferate effects.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Oh that's really cool lol, I didn't even notice.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Yeah 1 for a 1/2 menace is fine but it seems like the activated ability is too expensive

Playing it turn 1 and then getting the activated ability off just one time during the game is pretty sweet value. And if you draw it late you'll probably have some fuel in the graveyard to get a couple activations out of it. I don't know if it's a bomb but it's a pretty sweet card.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Thanks all for the explanation! :)

For a card that DOES work like you're thinking of, check out something like Druagr Necromancer.

If you have one in play and exile some creatures with ice counters on them, then your Necromancer dies, you can't play the creatures from exile anymore. But if you get another Necromancer on the board you can, because all it looks for is exiled cards with ice counters on them, and doesn't care how they got there. Personally I think it's bad design to switch back and forth between methods like that in the same standard, even if it does change the card power level slightly.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Strong Sauce posted:

Edgar's Awakening 3BB

Sorcery Uncommon

Return target creature from your graveyard to the battlefield

Whenever you discard Edgar's Awakening, you may pay B. If you do, return target creature card from your graveyard to your hand.

Seems like a pretty aggressively costed madness effect? I'd at least happily draft it in a deck that had a good supply of blood tokens.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Strong Sauce posted:

Markov's Retaliation: 2R

Sorcery

Choose one or both:
· Creatures you control get +1/+0 until end of turn.
· Target vampire you control deals damage equal to it's power to another target creature.

It feels kind of quirky from a rules text perspective that this is a "choose one or both". Feels like it could have worked more smoothly as "if you control a vampire, target vampire you control deals damage equal to its power to up to one target creature"

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Nice "flavor" text :wink:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

odiv posted:

Not for long, I bet!

And not on Arena anyway.

According to this guy, a similar trick worked before.

https://twitter.com/alittlealoof/status/1455599987295932419?s=21

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Wow both arts here are loving sick. When I dipped back into the game briefly a few years ago it seemed like we were overwhelmingly getting this very homogenized CGI-enhanced card art style; sweet to see stuff like this

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

YggdrasilTM posted:

Cemetary Gatekeeper - 1R
Creature - Vampire

First strike
Whenever ~ enters the battlefield, exile a card from a graveyard.
Whenever a player plays a land or casts a spell, if it has the same type as the exiled card, ~ deals 2 damage to that player.

2/1

T1 Play With Fire into T2 this is probably pretty nasty against Izzet Turns, right? I know there have been cards with similar effects before but I haven't played with them so it's hard to evaluate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

evilweasel posted:

sealed is always better than buying packs because you're guaranteed nine packs for the price of six, but because there's no drafting your results are far more dictated by luck of the draw w/r/t your packs having bombs and enough good cards to make a two-color deck (in the colors of your bombs) than anything else

Unless you're consistently going 0 or 1 wins sealed is probably still the better deal over buying packs outright, but the math is a little more complicated than "9 packs for the price of 6" because the sealed packs don't have duplicate protection and they don't give you wildcard progress. Since MTGA only does sealed events for the first couple weeks of set release the latter isn't a huge issue, but if they offered it all the time I'd be really hesitant to play if I already had full playsets of most of my desired rares.

I do like that the preorder bundle comes with a sealed token, though -- even if it's not the best EV event it's a fun excuse to turn your brain off a little and make the best out of the pile you're given, plus it makes me nostalgic for when I was 18 years old and could go to midnight prereleases and play sealed until 2 in the morning.