Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I love some of the experimental decks appearing with the new standard. Just people throwing poo poo together and trying to make something stick. Still tons of optimized stuff but way more wacky bullshit for now.

I much prefer this chaotic and unknown form of magic rather than the one where you try to do something creative but instead get your face caved in by embercleave on turn 3. That fucker, anax, bonecrusher and torbran are gone now, thankfully, but I'm sure something will rise to claim the aggro throne soon enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Shrecknet posted:

also calling that new 2G t: G for each creature elf "Guy, a cradle"
lol

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

fadam posted:

Sure, if that’s the distinction you want to use that’s fine with me. I don’t think anyone here is going to link to the sites where you can buy them, but I do strongly encourage anyone who wants to play with old, fun cards in a paper setting with cards that don’t look like poo poo to look into them.
for reasons completely unrelated to the conversation at hand, can you enable personal messages

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Toshimo posted:

That's because "the Internet" doesn't like to take responsibility for their actions.

Making counterfeit cards (cards designed to be easily mistaken for real cards by laymen) is a lovely thing to do.

You got beef with WotC? Cool. Don't play in their tournaments. Hell, don't buy their cards. Nobody's got a gun to your head.

But when you buy or create counterfeit cards, which we've seen time and again work themselves into the ecosystem and be pawned off.on unsuspecting customers, you're just being a shithead. You aren't Robin Hood, sticking it to the man. You don't have some moral high ground. You're just doing harm to all the other people involved: the artists, the printers, the game stores, and fellow players.
is this the kind of whining that guy upthread wanted

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Good news everyone, I’ve decided to ban Epiphany
thank you, wizard of the coast.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Incidentally, ability counters haven't been seen since Ikoria. I guess it didn't work out.
and that's a shame because they're a neat gimmick.

ikoria draft in particular is really fascinating with them. that 3/6 flying or hexproof pteradon is a real bastard to get rid of and an amazing mutate target if you go for the hexproof counter.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

kalvanoo posted:

why does day 9 make so much more than every one else
He puts a shitload of effort into his community, indulges his chat member's questions and stories, the dayknights 30 day projects thing he pushes every few months is, in addition to being a cool motivator for people, an excellent way to cultivate a strong following, especially since he is so forward in making sure people make their projects known. He also runs gamedev projects, those 24/48 hour types(I forget the term) and then plays them on stream. He's also a variety streamer with with a set schedule instead of a sporadic one, not just mtg etc. Basically he's played the game super smartly, and yet even then he "only" makes that much.

neaden posted:

Day9 has been streaming since it was JustinTV and IIRC was the first or at least one of the first channels to get paid subs when they were rolling it out. I also assume he and maybe a few other of the top names are big enough deals that they get a better payout from subs like 70-30 instead of 50-50 like most people.
he's the #2 account after twitch itself, don't get much more OG than that

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Alrund's didn't see action before MID
lmao

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
now THAT'S some gambling

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Yeah that's pretty true, sadly. I know he has a few patrons on here so I invite any of you to defend your purchase, if you did get one. Please.
wait that was just for a single card? I thought it was for a bundle or sealed box and you got the exclusive card as a promo included. lmao

I back him to get cheap magic stuff, and also for the occasional tip. he gave me some solid recommendations and why, I went in hard on those, and all of them have seen significant increases in value since then.

I pick up a case of magic every couple months or so, and his occasional friday magic deals are generally good. If you regularly buy mtg stuff, his prices are solid. the theros collector box deal last year was loving nuts, and there's been some great sales since then too.

as for defending that fab nonsense, nah I ain't gonna. I don't follow his non-mtg stuff, but I also think his fab and metazoo poo poo is sketchy as hell, but whatever.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Oct 13, 2021

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The weatherlight saga was unpopular? poo poo, I thought it was rad with a bunch of cool characters you followed through all sorts of adventures and neat worlds. Mercadia was a not great set but the setting was rad, Rath was a great setting, etc.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ilmucche posted:

The children's artwork owns. That's gimmick art I can get behind
if you enjoy this sort of gimmick, there is a professional animator and artist, Thomas Romain, who lives in japan with his wife and two young sons. When his sons draw things, he takes those and draws incredibly beautiful watercolor interpretations of them. he released a book and apparently is planning on releasing a second one, I got the first one and it's wonderful.
https://twitter.com/Thomasintokyo/status/1062732245830516736

definitely worth checking out if the concept appeals to you, and his making-of videos are fascinating as well.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Gynovore posted:

Ya know, all this kinda leads me to suspect that there might possibly be a slightly higher concentration of autistic people among Magic players than among the general public.
okay?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Cactrot posted:

“Zombies you control have flying.”
I really really hope this is a corpse-a-pult or something similar, a defender thing or whatever that buffs zombies, instead of something that gives zombies wings

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Here, in the world where people regularly sew wings on to zombies?
catapulting zombies at things is way funnier than a zombie with wings imo

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Jabor posted:

Lol at playing discard spells in the Foretell meta though.
I dunno, I've been doing pretty well with my monoblack discard deck.

Go Blank really messes with people, especially the sorts who use Memory Deluge. Inscription of Ruin actually is pretty nice when kicked, you can get three discards out of it if you have an elderfang disciple or acquisitions expert in the yard.

foretell is a pain in the rear end but the deck has done pretty well against the various epiphany decks. one that I lost recently, I had them on the ropes and they god drew epiphany, epiphany, memory deluge, epiphany. was just barely enough to peck me to death, I didn't draw any of my sweepers. but man, meathook massacre is such a satisfying card to drop on turn 4 or 5 when monogreen or monowhite has filled the board with weenies.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I like the regular art way more than the gown version

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I've talked to him before, he was legit. diabetes is a gently caress

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
for a bit of lightheartedness after that, have some grousing about power creep

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Strong Sauce posted:

Radiant Grace - W
Enchantment: Creature
Creature gets +1/0 and has vigilance
When enchanted creature dies, transforms... attached to target opponent

-------

Radiant Restrictions
Enchantment: Curse
Enchant player
Creatures enchanted player controls enter the battlefield tapped.
this, this seems beastly.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm only thinking of limited/standard, not historic. there's nothing else like it in standard right now, right?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Strong Sauce posted:

Howling Piper 3G

Creature - Human Werewolf

This spell can't be countered

1G, T: You may put a creature card from your hand to the battlefield. If it is a wolf or werewolf, Untap Howling Piper. Activate only as a sorcery.

Daybound

-----
Wild Howling Wolf (Howler?)

When this creature ETB or transforms into Wild Howler, Look at the top 6 cards of your library. You can reveal one of the creature cards and put it into your hand. Put the remaining cards on the bottom of your library in a random order.

Nightbound.

----

Uhhhh seems pretty crazy?

turn 5 tarrasque let's gooooooo

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
man am I ever happy to see you, abrade

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

sit on my Facebook posted:

Don't sleep on mulch

Good advice, mulch is pointy

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
lol, I am always amused when someone who gets back into magic breaks out "an old classic deck of theirs" and then does a looney toons bug-eyes at the price tag it runs for now

someone in the tradgames discord was pestered into putting their old mtg deck into archidekt and see how it turns out
https://archidekt.com/decks/2012291#Rot_Bringer

would that all of us could be lucky enough to have not hocked our amazing goods years ago and get this revelation thrust upon us

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
drat, that's a really nice mana dork, that actually becomes a decent threat late game! neato!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
a gigantic crossbow that shoots circular sawblades, brilliant

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Holy poo poo

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh wait I misread the disturb cost, thought it said 3WW not 5WW, that's a bit less ridiculous.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Imo they need to have hexproof and uncounterable, preferably together, in at least every other set. Even now divide by zero still hits cragplate behemoth, which is a pain, but there's gotta be SOMETHING that stops counters every so often

Reprint shifting ceratops

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
planeswalkers from before being Superman-level (all-powerful, basically immortal) being turned into Spiderman-level (powerful but still basically human and not immortal) sucks

Urza and the like being multiverse godbeings that caused chaos and development across dozens of worlds was great, but now they're just lovely dime-a-dozen Avengers

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sickening posted:

Wanna watch someone get scammed for 3k?

https://clips.twitch.tv/GiftedAgileAlligatorMikeHogu-_9c7McKAzFOJAUfZ

Never EVER buy individual sealed booster packs of expensive old products as the odds its a reseal or a searched booster is incredibly high. At the very least its been searched. I don't give a poo poo how reputable the vendor is, if its out of the sealed box, its been searched.
watching past the clip and like, he clearly is doing just fine with his nearly 23,000 subs so he's not completely losing his mind over this(and I'm sure he's thinking of ways to spin it into something viral, mentions putting the clip up on youtube etc), but he's definitely going through stages of regret there, trying to come up with excuses for HOW CAN THIS BE

looking for glue, but if it was heat resealed there wouldn't be glue. weird that they even left in the commons and didn't just pull everything and fill it with garbage. and then he's cringing into himself at the very thought of asking for a refund for a bogus $3000 booster with 6 commons in it that has clearly been picked through. if his supplier is legit they should have weighed it and known it wasn't good by the lack of two entire cards

hell, I'd say even if you get a sealed box, unless the shrinkwrap is clearly aged and identical to the type of wrapping old mtg boxes had, I wouldn't trust it either.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Strong Sauce posted:

did he mention who his "supplier" is?
as far as I watched he didn't, considering there were multiple lines in chat of "let's find the guy and bash his head in" I think he's wise to keep the name under wraps at least until if/when he makes any legal decisions.

boy it sure would be hilarious if his supplier was Rudy, considering Rudy has entire video series on counterfeits and resealed boosters

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
drat I had forgotten to watch the Midnight Hunt one when it came out, it's pretty good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQi3raUki7s&hd=1

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
wait is WOTC really making limited quantity numbered magic cards lol

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Eej posted:

I mean all of them are numbered on the bottom
there's apparently a leak about ultra-limited cards being slotted in similar to masterpieces and invocations, but specifically marked with a print number on each one, like "1 of 100 limited print run" sort of thing.

look, let me tell you, TF2 did that with "craft #" for every newly-released item. and a #1, #69, etc that is literally indistinguishable from the regular crafted item unless you READ THE NAME OF THE ITEM, could go for hundreds of dollars depending on the item, despite not even being one of the hats that were on fire or whatever.

If they're really doing this and explicitly marking these limited run ones uniquely, that's gonna get really stupid on the secondary market

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
if it's only in secret lairs that's even sillier

but also that's a neat novelty. completely backwards text card, heh.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

HootTheOwl posted:

Early in arena I put a pacifism on one of those "double every turn" hydras, so while I didn't have it, my opponent had two 1000+/1000+ creatures
Yeah I definitely remember seeing the same thing play out in a theros draft and it got up to a like 250k/250k uselessly

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I love limited but not for how much they charge vs how badly you can dud out at 3 or fewer wins. What's the term for a free version with drastically reduced or nonexistent prizes? Shadow? I'd like a like 500 gold practice draft that you can get a rare or two from and don't get to keep the stuff you draft, just to have a cheap draft option tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Ok but the beer and tacos should be a mark in the LGS’s favor
yeah like my LGS I played at as a kid(RIP The Sylvan) was right next to one of my favorite pizza shops ever, being able to walk 30 feet and get a slice of chicken pizza then a soda at the mart next door was amazing

it also funded many, many booster packs for a poor kid such as me because I would do pizza + soda runs for tournaments, charging 5 bucks for a slice and a soda(when it cost me about a third of that). effort tax!