Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

sit on my Facebook posted:

Edit; Sealed is the People's Format, truly egalitarian

Sealed is the closest limited gets to mimicking Capitalism. If you’re smart and skilled, you can maybe win with a lovely pool, but the odds are against you. And anyone starting with all the bombs/removal/synergy in the world can coast to victory thinking they’re the best player in the room. ( :haw: )

But every once in a while, you get the classic failson who opens the perfect pool but still scrubs out blaming everyone else for “just drawing better.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

BizarroAzrael posted:

What do people feel about the soulbond mechanic from Avacyn Restored? Think only the double strike one saw some constructed play, it's hard to think of it outside a bad format. Just seems like it's a mechanic previously seen on Innisrad that could work with the wedding theme of Crimson Vow. Maybe a different implementation beyond both bonded cards getting a keyword for the most part.

The card draw, flicker, haste, and double strike ones saw play, I thought.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Back in the day, I used to be able to squeeze some entertainment out of lovely lopsided standard formats by listening to PSully and Cedric bitch about them on SCG coverage. Ah, the era of RTR/Theros devotion decks was a thing to behold. :allears:

Now, I don't even have that.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Yawgmoth posted:

Oh man, I (partially) remember that DBZ game. It had five different colors of fighting styles and there was no cost to just running anything you wanted, but iirc you got some kind of bonus for sticking to one color? And all the orange cards were waaaaaayyyyyyyy better than anything else. A friend and I each bought a starter deck and like $10 of discount boosters at walgreens and I opened the super-mega-ultra rare Goku that was allegedly like $120. I traded it to the LGS for a box of Odyssey and saw it sit there in the case until they went out of business because the owner flat out refused to have any space for people to play at all ever and treated anyone who wanted to browse/buy anything that wasn't baseball cards like poo poo.

The DBZ game was great but had some massive flaws. The funniest one was when the Cell Saga set came out and they printed Android 18 with a static ability that let you scry 6 before entering combat. (You drew three cards before combat each turn you had the initiative.) So everyone literally had to play Android 18 if you wanted to win purely through card selection. Tack on that Orange was more-or-less DBZ’s blue with all the best generic counters, Orange 18 became The Deck. Near the end of the game’s life (right before it extended to DBGT), they gave up and just hard coded the scry 6 into the rules. :v:

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Oct 4, 2021

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Luminous Mothra card with Power Conduit is my favorite janky combo that came out of Ikoria. It’s like a better undying/persist.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

PleasantDirge posted:

Do it D&D style and give cards abilities like "The filthiest" and "chicken fucker" and I'm 100% in on the John Waters collection. We only do 3 things in Maryland: Crab cakes, football lacrosse, and filth!

FTFY

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
The Dragon Shield sealable perfect fit inners are the top of the market right now.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

mandatory lesbian posted:

Has something like "Target artifact creature is no longer an artifact" been done before?

Oko does this, technically.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

The World Inferno posted:

clues draw cards, treasure adds mana, food adds life... what else is there to token? Probably a super generic 1/1 right?

That’s just a servo. Or the colorless Kamigawa spirits.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Huxley posted:

What is the most explicitly hetero relationship in the game? I guess we have a wedding in this set, but other than that?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

meanolmrcloud posted:

In the previous set, there was a 3/4 for 5 that generated 2 2/2’s and it was maybe the best common in the best color. There was also a 3/3 for 4 that gave a 1/1 in a medium color. The latter was rarely played, because a 3/3 body was almost as useless as a 1/1. I could see this being as good as diregraf horde.

You forgot that it also nuked graves.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

lol. This is better than Memory Deluge half the time and printed at common.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Sampatrick posted:

Which is all almost irrelevant because Memory Deluge is way better in most situations

Memory Deluge is 2UU and puts the remaining cards at the bottom.
Scattered Thoughts only has one colored pip, doesn’t get worse with cost reducers, and dumps the remainders in the grave.

Unless you routinely get to a point where you’re flashing back Deluge for 7, Scattered Thoughts is the better card.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

What the gently caress is that?! :stare:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Lone Goat posted:

not excited about a 7 drop that requires me to have even more lands in hand to do anything worthwhile

This card is basically “draw until you have X nonlands in hand where X is the number of cards in hand.”
You’re guaranteed to keep the same hand size only you get to turn all your land cards into gas.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I’d love to see the population statistics of Innistrad, a plane that has gone through three apocalyptic events over 15 years on top of the already insane mortality rate of three intelligent species constantly hunting each other with a dash of zombies and psycho cannibal axe murderers added in.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Who do I have to suck off at WOTC to get an MTGA sealed event? :mad:

Sealed is just the worst format, though. :(

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

The Shortest Path posted:

Rats are monoblack. Squirrels are almost entirely green, with a small black splash for variety.

If anything rats should dip into red.

If rats were to get a secondary color, it should be green. It would make sense that the two major rodent classes overlap slightly.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

LennyBriscoCountyJr posted:

Three total RB rats. 2 from the original Ravnica block and 1 from Alara block.

Yeah, and the Rakdos ones are obviously red due to an elemental affiliation with fire and Lyzolda.

Saucer Crab posted:

Mad Ratter is a red card that spits out black rats.

And Underworld Hermit is a black card that spits out green squirrels. :shrug:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

flatluigi posted:

yeah i don't really see the huge upside of a 3/3 for 3 that conditionally drains for 1 per turn, that conditionally is a 4/4 that can drain for 2

It's the Ward - Discard. That's kind of nuts for a three drop that's already on curve + additional upside.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

The World Inferno posted:

Went to buy a draft booster box of Crimson Vow and my LGS was selling it for $140. Is that actually what they're selling for now generally? Online I'm seeing it closer to a hundred.

You can get them for $95+tax on eBay from legit sellers. It's not a very valuable set.

Edit: Unless they're selling them with the box topper, which is probably another $20 value. Soooooo...

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Nov 21, 2021

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Eej posted:

Diamond is usually meta hell, 98% Mythic and lower is gently caress around town.

This is why I don't really play much past making platinum. I know mythic is attainable by anyone with half decent skill, but I just don't have the time or patience to grind up through platinum and diamond.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I got my booster today and fully expect to spend all day tomorrow faffing about on Arena while shivering uncontrollably. :thumbsup:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I braved all four days of New York Comic Con a few weeks back and came out unscathed. But yeah. It all comes down to a personal choice.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

HootTheOwl posted:

Hullbreaker is worse than Tidespout right? Or the same teir since Tidespout can hit lands? All Hullbreacher fits where exactly. Hall of the Storm Giants is a land, so it doesn't cost a card, the various planeswalkers cost less, so I assume some sort of tron/reanimator? Double U for U tron isn't too bad, and they do run a whole lot of cheap U spells to get the triggers. I've also seen them run Tidespout so if it finds a home that seems like the best one.
Reanimator you're going to have to sell me on a reanmiator deck designed to work better with it than either of the MH2 tailor-made reanimator payoffs.

I haven’t seen a Mono-U Tron deck in the wild (either through my own play or from any Modern streamer I watch) in almost two years. :psyduck:

On a completely different note, I wonder how long it will take Modern players to realize Subtlety was designed to be The counter to the other pitch elementals and actually play it in blue control decks alongside Force of Negation.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Goa Tse-tung posted:

the real bonus and reason to buy a bundle is the box itself

Those removal insert box thingies that have been in the newer bundles for the last couple years are great. They fit my double sleeved, foiled, EDH deck perfect when no other box, professionally manufactured or otherwise, have fit it.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I’ve never liked Vial as a card, but I accept it is was a powerful turn one play. Now there are so many other plays and maindeck answers to it on top of being the worst top deck in the world that it is basically unplayable.

CoCo surpassed it as the instant speed weenie card a while ago.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

disaster pastor posted:

There are two reasons I look back fondly on RTR/Theros Standard, because I am a monster:

1) the SCG Open where I mulled to four, kept two swamps, Thoughtseize and Pack Rat, won the game, and my opponent was so salty he conceded the match and dropped.

2) the end of that Standard, where everyone was sick of both Pack Rat and Sphinx's Revelation, so, with mono-Black already splashing blue for sideboard Negates, I splashed white as well so I could play maindeck Sphinx's Rev.

Cloudfin Raptor is bae.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Strong Sauce posted:

here it is, would be interested in what people would build with this.

card above rural recruit is crushing canopy. i put all the rare/mythics on the bottom.

Your R removal is phenomenal, and the creature curve isn't bad. I would've done R/B or R/U. Your U pool is shallower but more powerful than B just off the two U rares. Your best black card is Wedding Security which works better with R than U.

I could see an argument to go U/B and splash red for the removal if you wanted to get greedy.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnVf1ZoCJSo

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

HootTheOwl posted:

The Deliriusm +2/+2 mode isn't even the part that makes it competitive. It's the free "I will never draw another bad card again" part the same way players don't get how powerful a lantern effect is in Lantern. Or how the Jace+ can end a game.

It's also why Xanathar was such a bomb in limited. It wasn't that you could play your opponent's crap. It was that you got to ensure they never drew gas ever again. So, if they didn't have an immediate answer to Xanathar, they would never get one.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

TheKingofSprings posted:

That's Fusion!!!

Wizards needs to print a card named "Polymerization" just to thumb YGO in the eye.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

MeinPanzer posted:

It's funny that when I returned to MTG after literally 20 years away from the game and learned about all the tiny variations on kicker or whatever that got their own dogshit keywords, it's cleave of all things that leads people to claim that keywords have jumped the shark.

"Everything is kicker" has been an in-joke for years, but at least the other keywords WotC has come up with have had some sort of flavor fill. "Cleave" is uniquely bad in describing the effect's function, especially coming from the Dungeons & Dragons company where "Cleave" has a very specific meaning that it evokes.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
My biggest gripe are the spellbook drafting cards. I like to be able to read a card and immediately know what it does. But spellbook cards necessarily obfuscate the effect. Having to go two menus deep to look at 16 possible effects this ETB trigger may have is obnoxious and actively harmful to gameplay in a client that ropes you after taking 5 second on a decision.

It's absurd.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Honestly, one of my favorite cards to come out of MID for Historic is Rotten Reunion. It hoses so many random value decks at instant speed. Phoenix, Cat/Oven, Darcy, Lurrus. It's free mill value, and it does so much random poo poo in zombie lists. Instant speed gatling zombie triggers, instant speed buff for Champion, instant speed tappable zombies for Cryptbreaker.

I've used one to get 4 power on the board at EOT against a control player to kill them from 8 with a single Corpse Knight. Hell, I've used it to screw an opponent's delirium after they targeted my 2/2 Champion with an Unholy Heat. :getin:

Edit: Oh. Forgot. The decay zombies trigger Undead Augur when they attack. So much value.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Dec 12, 2021

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Wait. It's "Neon" Dynasty? All this time, I thought it was "Neo" Dynasty to go with the cyberpunk theme. :psyduck:

gently caress it. Bring on the pink samurai and fuchsia ninjas.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Mystic Remora, you heathens. :colbert:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Eej posted:

You can always just Thoughtseize the Perpetually Hasted creature and they will have lost all value from playing an understatted creature to buff it.

Except most of the enablers aren’t understated. The most commonly played one is a 1/3 flying lifelinker with two relevant creature types for 1W.

Also, lol on any retort that is “can be thoughtseized,” the even dumber cousin to “dies to removal.”

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

CitizenKeen posted:

Getting strong L5R community vibes from this.

People still play L5R?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
My favorite card is Ugin, the Spirit Dragon. Though I played for a while beforehand, I didn't get competitive until Khans block, and I loved the poo poo out of that card. I have two pages in my binder dedicated to various printings of my boy, Eugene. :c00lbert: