Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

Abisteen posted:

I learned Magic via Arena and have never played paper. My girlfriend is interested in trying the game and I think it would be fun to play some kitchen table magic with her since she doesn't play games on PC very much.

Considering I can play standard on Arena and don't care much about deck power level for paper, what's my best bet for having a good time learning the paper game with someone? Should I just buy a bunch of basic lands and a bulk box of cards and we just build a couple of decks from that? Should I buy some packs and see what we end up with?

There's a few options I can think of:

- As you mentioned, a bulk box could be a good start, though there might not necessarily be synergy between any of the cards to build an interesting deck
- Not sure if this is still a thing (I think it is?), but Wizards gives out intro packs to LGS's to give out for free to new players who ask
- Jump Start also exists in paper; you each buy two packs, and that's your deck. Lands are included in this. These can be pricey though since there were some print issues and there were some high-value cards in there.
- With the pandemic being a thing stores should still have some stock of prerelease kits- they cost around $30-$40 and have 6 Draft packs to play Sealed. You'll also need to buy lands for this.
- If you want to take the next step and start playing with other people, Prerelease Events are a blast and most people at FNM Drafts are generally super casual and friendly to new players

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

Abisteen posted:

Thanks for the excellent recommendations everyone. I decided to go with four jumpstart packs since she said she liked the idea of opening things and not knowing anything about what she would get.

Maybe a live event at one of the local stores is in my future but I don't feel comfortable doing that just yet with how bad our local covid cases have been recently.

Cool! Worth noting that the prerelease kits will also offer that opening packs without knowing what you'll get; I think that would be a good next step after Jumpstart since you'll be able to play sealed and then start brewing decks and trading.

Jumpstart's also good to have on hand since you can break up the decks back into their individual packs afterwards and try new combinations.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Honestly I'm not even sure why people want pioneer? They let it languish in to nothing over a matter of mere months. It never got off the ground. How coul you even have an opinion of it?

For me, it's wanting to play an eternal format on digital that they can also play on paper, without having to spend $500 on mtgo

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
Please let that be the art.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

neaden posted:

I know they hate having multiple queues but just give us a non alchemy historic queue and an alchy historic one at least.

I'd be pretty happy if it were "Alchemy Historic" and "Everything Legal in Pioneer Currently in Arena"

edit: less unhappy

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Supposed Compleated Wrenn. Is it real? Who knows

Yet another leak that's so low quality that you can't even read the text

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

My goal for prerelease is to open a Bronze Tablet using Opening Ceremony and force someone to ante their phone.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
I mean it's already a solved problem.

quote:

Mox ______ (0)

Prospecting -- When Mox _____ is opened from a booster pack, you may affix one Mox Name sticker, one Mox Art sticker, and one Mox Ability sticker to it.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

Big Leg posted:

a million years ago i played jim davis in the top 8 of an scg open. before we sat down he came up to me and said something like 'i heard i'm a huge dog in this matchup. but this dog's got some bite' and then growled.

I'm imagining he carries around his laugh track and pressed it there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
Not sure how I feel about the format after two sealeds and a draft all not going my way. Seems to just be open 3 bombs > hope you draw them > win.

Maybe I just don't like the modern meta of red getting 7/7 fliers for 3 and blue getting 5/3 flying hexproof flash for 4.