Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Swiller of Beer
Jan 2, 2003
Cold Hearted S.O.B.
Soiled Meat
This is a 1970 AMC Hornet. This one is a base model powered by a 199 cubic inch straight six with a Borg Warner 3 speed auto. This car has zero options, manual 4 wheel drum brakes,
manual steering, no passenger side mirror. I wanted something different, and I always had a soft spot for AMC's, so here we are.

The mighty 199 straight six. Would eventually become the 4.0 Jeep engine we all know and love.

Tires courtesy of JCPenney

Custom floor pan by previous owner

That red interior!

And some exterior shots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Ground floor for the Hornay. gently caress yeah. What's the plans?

Swiller of Beer
Jan 2, 2003
Cold Hearted S.O.B.
Soiled Meat

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Ground floor for the Hornay. gently caress yeah. What's the plans?

Plan? What plan? Ok I'll try.
Step 1 is to replace the rotten floors. I have a new set here so thats not an issue.

Step 2 is safety. Making new hard lines and upgrading the front brakes to discs. Rebuilding the front suspension and replacing the front and rear springs. Adding sway bars and possibly power steering.

Step 3 is power train. This is where the fun begins and parts availability begins to bite. To do a bolt in engine/transmission combo would require a AMC 6 cylinder (258 or 4.0) and an AMC pattern A904 transmission. The engines are easy to find but the transmissions are not. Plus I really do not want to go that route. So after some thought I figured if Chrysler bought AMC, then Chrysler can power it too.

Enter the mighty Magnum 5.2 (318)

I'll have to fab up some mounts for this, the Magnum engines have different motor mounting points than a regular 318 and are pretty close to where an AMC V8 would be. I have an intake and a carb to swap out for the fuel injection.

And it'll be mated to this

This is an A904 from a Dodge Diplomat. It will bolt to my existing crossmember using the factory 72 Hornet mount and will allow me to use my stock driveshaft with just a yoke change.

And for wheels I'm going to use steelies with dog dish hubcaps which I scored off of the same car I got the transmission from.

These are a direct bolt on. Plus I get to move up to slightly easier to find 15 inch tires instead of the factory 14 inch.

Later mods will be to swap out the weak AMC15 rear axle with a shortened 8.8, unless I can locate a small car AMC20 rear.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
That's awesome, but my biased choice would have been a 4.0L and Aisin four-speed auto from a Jeep Cherokee. Someone else mentioned it in another thread, but some black carpet would make that interior nicer and would help that red interior really pop. Josh Groban likes his interiors to pop.

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004

PBCrunch posted:

That's awesome, but my biased choice
man am i full of opinions on this because i had a '67 rambler for many, many years and i always wanted to do something with the 232ci 6 cylinder that powered it because its got such a long production heritage, but im sure i know now that was just my a-adhd and not a realistic goal. i did end up doing some more realistic things to it, like 4 wheel disc brakes; fronts off a gremlin and rears a combination of nissan calipers on grand-cherokee rotors iirc. anyways i see you need a windshield and i think ive got a gasket that'll fit for you, if you need it!

hyped to see where you take this. good luck with the amc crowd too lol

Swiller of Beer
Jan 2, 2003
Cold Hearted S.O.B.
Soiled Meat
I thought about doing a 4.0/AW4 swap in the beginning but either way I go I have to fab either a trans mount/crossmember or engine mounts. I know the AMC purists will complain but sourcing a modern AMC V8 (304,360,401) and a two wheel drive transmission around here has been an exercise in futility. And an AMC V8 won't bolt to a six cylinder crossmember without making mounts (or buying conversion mounts, $379) anyway so it was kind of a no brainer.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Love a Hornet. Get it running well and then worry about the engine swap, IMO.

A "new" 318 sounds like a reasonable choice.

Swiller of Beer
Jan 2, 2003
Cold Hearted S.O.B.
Soiled Meat

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Love a Hornet. Get it running well and then worry about the engine swap, IMO.

I'd love to but the engine is locked up. I've had various concoctions sitting in the cylinders for a month now and it's not budging.

Swiller of Beer
Jan 2, 2003
Cold Hearted S.O.B.
Soiled Meat
No progress to report but I did pick up a couple nice emblems and a gas cap at a swap meet.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
that's an awfully large gremlin you've got there

where's here? there was a 343/auto in the junkyard near me not too long ago, and they do pop up from time to time. also i have an amc20 i would consider parting with.

supposedly the 8.8 in late rangers is about the right width already, though a narrowed explorer axle (two short shafts) would be a lot easier to find

Swiller of Beer
Jan 2, 2003
Cold Hearted S.O.B.
Soiled Meat

Raluek posted:

that's an awfully large gremlin you've got there

where's here? there was a 343/auto in the junkyard near me not too long ago, and they do pop up from time to time. also i have an amc20 i would consider parting with.

Here is just south of Cincinnati, Ohio. If you're somewhat close and have parts I'm always looking. I'd much rather have an AMC drivetrain so I could just bolt everything in but parts are scarce around here.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Swiller of Beer posted:

Here is just south of Cincinnati, Ohio. If you're somewhat close and have parts I'm always looking. I'd much rather have an AMC drivetrain so I could just bolt everything in but parts are scarce around here.

California, so not particularly. But I'll post in this thread next time I see one hit the yards, just in case!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Oh my goodness how did I miss this thread?!? My first car was a green on green 74 hornet sedan. I am absolutely in love with what you're doing here.

Swiller of Beer
Jan 2, 2003
Cold Hearted S.O.B.
Soiled Meat
I found some time to get a few things done over the weekend. I pulled the intake and the exhaust manifolds for inspection and to repair some broken bolts. But, I also have a line on an AMC 343 and a transmission so this may be a moot point, we'll see.

And bonus content! My foster kitten with my foster fail dog.

Swiller of Beer
Jan 2, 2003
Cold Hearted S.O.B.
Soiled Meat
After stripping this car down I've decided that it probably be better served as a parts car. But don't worry, I found something better!

1971 Hornet 232 straight 6 and 3 on the tree. 43k mile barn find. Last registered in 1990. Has a few rust spots but no holes anywhere.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Last registered when my old project was built. That's insane.

Nice find.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
I really wish you could somehow safely keep the JCPenny tires because holy crap that's hilarious. I've always wanted a mildly-lifted AMC Eagle with a 4.6 stroker I-6 as a world's best/worst off-roader.

AMC really was ahead of their time in a ton of ways, it's just a shame that the cards fell the way they did over the years.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Are those seats the factory cloth? They look just like every pair of universal seat covers that existed in the 1980s.

Swiller of Beer
Jan 2, 2003
Cold Hearted S.O.B.
Soiled Meat

PBCrunch posted:

Are those seats the factory cloth? They look just like every pair of universal seat covers that existed in the 1980s.

Those are the OEM seats as far as I can tell. It's a Canadian built car so none of the trim or paint codes match up to the information floating around out there.

Swiller of Beer
Jan 2, 2003
Cold Hearted S.O.B.
Soiled Meat
I did find the owners manual when I was doing a little cleaning of the new car today.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Plymouth rd eh?

Oh dear.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Swiller of Beer posted:

Those are the OEM seats as far as I can tell. It's a Canadian built car so none of the trim or paint codes match up to the information floating around out there.

WTF? Shouldn't it be a CMC Canadian Motors Corporation car then?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

PBCrunch posted:

look we sell lovely jeeps to everyone.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Swiller of Beer posted:

No progress to report but I did pick up a couple nice emblems and a gas cap at a swap meet.

Those are gaudy and gorgeous!

I disapprove of the barn find though: no red interior!

Swiller of Beer
Jan 2, 2003
Cold Hearted S.O.B.
Soiled Meat

PBCrunch posted:

Maybe the Canadians didn't want to put their name on perhaps the world's most perfectly engineered vehicles.

Swiller of Beer fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Dec 15, 2021

Swiller of Beer
Jan 2, 2003
Cold Hearted S.O.B.
Soiled Meat
In my never ending quest to acquire all the AMC parts within a three hour radius of my house, I purchased a couple things. I am also learning that only crazy hillbillies have AMC parts.

1970-1972 Hornet right fender, did I need it? No. Did I want it? Yes!

1979 304ci V8 from a Jeep. Check out the AMC branded Ford ignition module on top.

I have no plans to do a V8 swap on the Blue Hornet anytime soon. I'm going to leave it as it is until the inevitable day the weak as poo poo T96 transmission breaks or I get all the parts I need for a T5 swap. (The T96 will probably break before then, they are notorious for being a very weak transmission)

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004

Swiller of Beer posted:

In my never ending quest to acquire all the AMC parts within a three hour radius of my house, I purchased a couple things. I am also learning that only crazy hillbillies have AMC parts.

lmao yea this checks out

Swiller of Beer
Jan 2, 2003
Cold Hearted S.O.B.
Soiled Meat
Small update, didn't get a lot done it was raining all weekend. I still need to get the brakes unstuck so I can roll it into the garage.

Pulled the steering column apart and removed the ignition cylinder so I could unlock the column and shifter.

Swapped in a battery and checked out the electric system. Had to clean a few connections but everything works.

I removed the plugs and sprayed some Kroil in the cylinders, I was able to get a quarter turn of the crank so I'm just going to keep soaking and see what happens. Worst case scenario I have to pull the head and clean it out. Good thing the head gasket was on clearance at Rockauto for $8.

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

We had one of these when I was a little kid--like young enough that I only barely remember the car. Seeing the pictures in this thread is bringing back a flood of childhood memories.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Swiller of Beer posted:

I am also learning that only crazy hillbillies have AMC parts.

My experience with finding parts for my Pontiac is that only Greybeards have them and they know what they have. With Chevy trucks it seems only Trump lovers have the parts. It is a weird world we live in. Hornay is cool, AMC is cool and I share your pain on parts availability.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
For some reason I really love AMC vehicles. There is something about their design that they usually really pulled off very well for the era, but yeah that parts availability will probably mean that I won’t dare ever owning one being in Europe. So I’ll follow this thread instead.

Edit: Oh poo poo there is a blue 1975 Hornet Sportabout wagon for sale nearby.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Dec 22, 2021

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

MrOnBicycle posted:

For some reason I really love AMC vehicles. There is something about their design that they usually really pulled off very well for the era, but yeah that parts availability will probably mean that I won’t dare ever owning one being in Europe. So I’ll follow this thread instead.

And you're not on your way to get it yet? Shameful.

Swiller of Beer
Jan 2, 2003
Cold Hearted S.O.B.
Soiled Meat
As far as parts go, it's not great but not terrible either. There are several vendors that specialize in AMC parts, and the fact that AMC used a lot of parts common to other automakers helps. Also helpful is that the Hornet/Gremlin/Spirit/Concorde is the same car mechanically. That's a 17 year run on that platform. Interior/exterior/trim is where it gets difficult and expensive. It also helps that a lot of Jeep parts will just drop in which comes in handy for engines and transmissions. AMC unified the transmission bolt patterns between the I6 and V8 in 1972 so I could use any engine/trans combo and make it work. (My cars are pre 72 so I'd have to swap both) A Jeep 4.0 from any year will bolt right up to my engine mounts no problem.

Swiller of Beer
Jan 2, 2003
Cold Hearted S.O.B.
Soiled Meat

MrOnBicycle posted:

Sportabouts are awesome and why have you not bought it yet?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Want you some good AMC junk yard rescue watchins? https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLSv7tR2YFSXoISj53_RXPQK3K-403eCPC

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Elmnt80 posted:

And you're not on your way to get it yet? Shameful.

Swiller of Beer posted:

Sportabouts are awesome and why have you not bought it yet?

Indeed. Did some sleuthing and have pieced together what probably happened to it. It’s cheap (like $2500) but apparently it sizzled a bit during inspection about 7 years ago as it was about to pass and they were turning on the headlights. The dash is ripped out in the pictures so I’m expecting a basket case of varying degrees of fire damage and ruined wiring. I don’t really have an inside space to work on stuff like that at the moment, and nor do I really have a desire to start messing with car wiring. Probably other problems lurking as well as I’d imagine that if it was an easy fix, they’d had fixed it back when it happened since it was on the cursp of passing inspection.

Swiller of Beer
Jan 2, 2003
Cold Hearted S.O.B.
Soiled Meat
So after soaking the cylinders for about a week I was able to get the engine to break free. I put the spark plugs back in, poured some gas in the carburetor and it didn't hit a lick. I checked the points and the tips were very corroded. I tried to clean them with a file but all I could get was a weak spark so I swapped them out.

After that I had a hot spark, I pulled the old supply line from the fuel pump, ran a new one into a gas can and Voila!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3YiaJBS9S8
It ticked for about 10 minutes and then the lifters quited down.

So now I that it runs (kind of) I had to get the brakes released. Cue the air hammer, mini sledgehammer and wood splitting wedges!

All four drums were frozen, but with some persuasion I was able to get them off. I then drove the car about 20 feet back and forth and was able to verify that the transmission and clutch was fine.

So now I can put the list together for the minimum work I need to do to get this thing on the road.

Rebuild brake system, convert to front disc,
Replace all hard lines
Rebuild suspension (all the bushings are rotted)
Remove gas tank and clean
Rebuild cooling system
Rebuild carburetor
Rebuild ignition system
Convert to power steering (I'm old)
Change all fluids
Remove interior, clean everything and reassemble.

BONUS CONTENT! The sickest sounding door buzzer I've ever heard.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlnOvZgcFc4

Swiller of Beer fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jan 5, 2022

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Well done! So glad it had a heartbeat again!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
It lives! Congrats, that's the best feeling in a project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Nice work!