Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
For some reason I really love AMC vehicles. There is something about their design that they usually really pulled off very well for the era, but yeah that parts availability will probably mean that I won’t dare ever owning one being in Europe. So I’ll follow this thread instead.

Edit: Oh poo poo there is a blue 1975 Hornet Sportabout wagon for sale nearby.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Dec 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Elmnt80 posted:

And you're not on your way to get it yet? Shameful.

Swiller of Beer posted:

Sportabouts are awesome and why have you not bought it yet?

Indeed. Did some sleuthing and have pieced together what probably happened to it. It’s cheap (like $2500) but apparently it sizzled a bit during inspection about 7 years ago as it was about to pass and they were turning on the headlights. The dash is ripped out in the pictures so I’m expecting a basket case of varying degrees of fire damage and ruined wiring. I don’t really have an inside space to work on stuff like that at the moment, and nor do I really have a desire to start messing with car wiring. Probably other problems lurking as well as I’d imagine that if it was an easy fix, they’d had fixed it back when it happened since it was on the cursp of passing inspection.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Nice work!

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I’m also interested in ways to de-crudify a gas tank on the inside as I’ll be doing it on my Dart. Luckily I’ve got access from the top if there are any bolts there. From what I’ve seen on YouTube people are using bolts / nuts inside and shaking it (maybe attach to a cement mixer and let it run for a while?) with rust eater / converter and perhaps some sort of sealer?
Fingers crossed my tank isn’t hosed, because I dread the shipping costs if I need one.

Needle scalers are nice, but make sure you have a compressor that can run it for a while because otherwise it gets annoying in the long run.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Were these zink bath dipped (or whatever they did for rust proofing) like the Eagles?

Good score with the manifolds. I managed to have the engine / car combo that needs a super hard to find manifold design in my car.