Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

No, food cannot drive, it is food.

Let's talk about gross canned food we have eaten and/or enjoyed. Of course there is the sardine thread in GBS for all of your canned fish needs, and while I do enjoy some 'dines, there's a huge variety of food that comes in cans. I'm pretty basic but here are a few of my favorites:

Corned Beef Hash
Spread this poo poo out in a cast iron pan, crack an egg on top and throw it in the oven for a delicious and hearty breakfast. Only 990mg of sodium per serving.

Meat paste
It's pretty edible when spread on bread or toast. Roast beef is my favorite but there are also chicken and pork varieties.

Chef Boyardee
There are a seemingly endless amount of varieties of canned pasta. I am partial to the chili mac flavor pictured above, but they all pretty much taste the same with different pasta/meat textures. I've seen canned macaroni and cheese but never tried it because of all things that seems gross tbh.

Canned tamales
When I was really poor I'd warm these up in a skillet then wolf 'em down with hot sauce. Reasonable facsimile of a tamale, they're even wrapped.

Vienna Sausage
"Laugh a long time like hyenas, laugh a long time at viennas in the can or out the can they still look like a can of penis." I prefer the spicy or smoked flavors myself. My dog goes apeshit for these as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Don Piano
Nov 4, 2009
i ate a loving lot of cans of corn beef hash a few years back for Hangover Sustenance, and credit that time in my life for making me a chubby young man. haven't had it for a long time, but the Craving has Awoken

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

they keep this poo poo in locked glass cases in hawaii:

https://www.amazon.com/Palm-Corned-Beef-Premium-Quality/dp/B00EFMW4VW

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Do you think anyone enjoys the snot that viennas get packed with?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

literally no other chili exists. gently caress hormel

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

stag used to be so good

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I hated Spam growing up and still feel that it has a gross texture to it but have learned that cutting it into slices is terrific; it's great as a chashu substitute in ramen and can be good in other stuff; diced into nachos etc. Gotta fry it though, otherwise I can't deal.

i say swears online posted:

literally no other chili exists. gently caress hormel

Wolf beats Hormel but neither does it for me. Weirdly, I actually find that walmart's house brand of canned chili tastes better than either to me.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I love that video of the guy going to town on his Christmas tinner and was sad to find out they aren't available

----------------

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Cooking up Spam as a bacon-like supplement is actually very tasty if you can get past the texture. I would have never tried it if not for my filipino friend.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Hormel canned chili (no beans) for literally anything containing chili which isn't just a bowl of chili.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

OP, it can

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

pro starcraft loser posted:

Hormel canned chili (no beans) for literally anything containing chili which isn't just a bowl of chili.

disgusting

----------------

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I grew where Oscar Mayer used to be headquartered, and you'd just see this thing driving around the city. It wasn't super common, but often enough that it wasn't weird to see it either.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Previa_fun posted:

Corned Beef Hash
Spread this poo poo out in a cast iron pan, crack an egg on top and throw it in the oven for a delicious and hearty breakfast. Only 990mg of sodium per serving.

My dad does this every Sunday morning. He hikes almost every day, though, so I'm not that worried about the salt.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

I never see beanless Wolf around, I want to try it.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I never see beanless Wolf around, I want to try it.

it's what i grew up on, and the hot version's pretty spicy. either poured over fritos or my mom would wrap it in tortillas and put them in the oven. that stuff plus velveeta is a quick and dirty queso as well

----------------

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Chili Man > Wolf > Hormel

https://www.chilliman.com/

fuckin manly

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
i have an unhealthy amount of chef boyardees super stuffed ravioli i proably spelled it wrong but im drunk and dont care

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Previa_fun posted:

fuckin manly

that led me to the international chili championships and it's funny to see that recipe and those a bit older contrasted with recent winners. all recent winners have three separate spice-dumps added at different stages of cooking lol

----------------

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Previa_fun posted:

fuckin manly

That looks good for a bowl of chili which, just make yourself. You can make a metric fuckton for like 10 bucks

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

i say swears online posted:

that led me to the international chili championships and it's funny to see that recipe and those a bit older contrasted with recent winners. all recent winners have three separate spice-dumps added at different stages of cooking lol

chili is a big rear end stew that simmers for like more than 5 hours. p sure all seasonings max out on their cooked flavor profile by that time. especially if it's being canned

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

It's literally a can of heavily salted mechanically separated chicken. It's also loving delicious on saltines or spread on toast.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

The Voice of Labor posted:

chili is a big rear end stew that simmers for like more than 5 hours. p sure all seasonings max out on their cooked flavor profile by that time. especially if it's being canned

my chili recipe doesn't even have tomatoes which checks out with some of the winners there

----------------

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

rndmnmbr posted:

It's literally a can of heavily salted mechanically separated chicken. It's also loving delicious on saltines or spread on toast.

would

----------------

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

That looks good for a bowl of chili which, just make yourself. You can make a metric fuckton for like 10 bucks

Every time I make chili I probably make enough for 8+ servings and can never get through it so I freeze some and then when I thaw it I can never get through it.

I love chili.

----------------

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Like rule #1 of the forum is it's the fast food forum, not the goons with spoons make it yourself forum. You're not wrong but half the threads could dissolve into "just make it yourself its cheaper and better" unless it's, say, a really good way to replicate something.

Sometimes you just want to dump a can of chili in a pot, walk away for a bit, and come back to a serviceable meal, Or just easily open a can of whatever, since it's the canned food thread.

I forget what brand it was, but the thread got me in the mood for some canned corned beef and hash the other day, heated some of that up in a pan with a fried egg and piece of toast on the side and it was a good breakfast! I was still up drinking quite a bit, so, it was like doubly a good "going to bed in a little bit" breakfast! Sure you could make better but I like me some canned corned beef hash now and again and it's pretty much on par with what you would get at a Denny's or IHOP tier restaurant or preferably some random greasy spoon cafe.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

rndmnmbr posted:

I'm sure it's good but why is this product being represented by satan?

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Twenty Four posted:

Like rule #1 of the forum is it's the fast food forum, not the goons with spoons make it yourself forum. You're not wrong but half the threads could dissolve into "just make it yourself its cheaper and better" unless it's, say, a really good way to replicate something.

Sometimes you just want to dump a can of chili in a pot, walk away for a bit, and come back to a serviceable meal, Or just easily open a can of whatever, since it's the canned food thread.

Fair enough.

What's a good chili for chili dogs/pasta? I use Hormel for its OK but I want a more saucy consistency.

Twenty Four posted:

I forget what brand it was, but the thread got me in the mood for some canned corned beef and hash the other day, heated some of that up in a pan with a fried egg and piece of toast on the side and it was a good breakfast!

Such a solid breakfast.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

What's a good chili for chili dogs/pasta? I use Hormel for its OK but I want a more saucy consistency.

Wolf Brand Chili Hot Dog Sauce. It is all the goodness of Wolf No Beans but a thinner consistency for glorious slathering on various tubed meats.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.
You gotta do it Walt Disney style and make a 50/50 mixture of Gebhardt chili and Dennison's

You can still buy Dennison's at Walmart and other big box retailers but unfortunately Gebhardt stopped canning their recipe and now only sells the powder to make your own with (instructions on the bottle)

That boy loved the poo poo out of his weird rear end double chili can mixture, used to pack suitcases full of it when he traveled out of the united states so he could eat that instead of high Parisian cuisine

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

did the underwood corned beef spread for a sandwich today. man, that stuff is inferior to normal corned beef in every way except shelf stability

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
It depends if you're a cannibal or not.

Gregoire
Feb 3, 2014
I was a Campbell's Chunky guy myself. Endorsed by all the cool NFL players and I had no choice but to eat it with a big spoon.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Fair enough.

Such a solid breakfast.

It was good!

Gregoire posted:

I was a Campbell's Chunky guy myself. Endorsed by all the cool NFL players and I had no choice but to eat it with a big spoon.

You're going to Disneyland!

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

I could go for some griddle fried beef hash pretty much anytime. For chili I normally get Armour even though it's not the best tasting, it's cheap and getting mixed into other things anyways. I can in no way deal with SPAM though. I ate a tin of it for lunch one time at work and have never wanted to do that to myself again.

https://i.imgur.com/1qBoiAi.mp4

Manifisto - 2023,rear end-penny - 2023,Saoshyant - 2023,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Manifisto - 2018,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2021

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

nesamdoom posted:

I could go for some griddle fried beef hash pretty much anytime. For chili I normally get Armour even though it's not the best tasting, it's cheap and getting mixed into other things anyways. I can in no way deal with SPAM though. I ate a tin of it for lunch one time at work and have never wanted to do that to myself again.

Why did you do that to yourself in the first place? Did you do anything to it? I can't imagine just eating a brick of spam.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

ohnobugs posted:

Why did you do that to yourself in the first place? Did you do anything to it? I can't imagine just eating a brick of spam.

An entire tin of SPAM is like eating an entire pack of bacon. Good lord the sodium content alone would keel over a vulnerable human.

Spam is also like bacon in that it should be cut into thin slices and pan fried so the outside gets crispy. And you have 1 or 2 thin crispy slices as part of a meal. Do this. Cut spam as thin as bacon and fry it up like bacon, then make a club sandwich or BLT but replace the bacon with spam. It's really good!

There's plenty of canned meats that are intended to be eaten straight-up as a single serve out of the can. Like sardines or smoked mussels. Crackers or crusty bread and a hot sauce/mustard of your choice can turn a tin of those into a light but filling meal. Spam is not in this category.

I mean maybe you could cube "raw" spam and throw it into a salad but deli ham would probably work better and cost less per pound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

My wife made pancakes and I fried up the Spam this morning. It is the ideal breakfast meat.