Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I think Salvor is going to come back. The plot that the future can't be changed and she is there at the final confrontation with The Mule seems like something the show wouldn't waste so easily. If she comes back then it brings the certainty of the future back into question.

There are magical space coffins and magical prime radiant made robots in secret bases that can just make people so all they need is some technobabble about a neural backup on the Beggar or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I would probably rather have Salvor than Gaal just because I can't take the way Gaal's actress says "years" but I definitely feel like the show will be improved with one of them gone.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Hope they come up with some bullshit so the party monks are still kicking around in 300 years. Give them those strong Soong genes so that their great grandkids look & act just like them.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Trying posted:

Hope they come up with some bullshit so the party monks are still kicking around in 300 years. Give them those strong Soong genes so that their great grandkids look & act just like them.
Well, during the "pals go into the vault" episode, we have evidence that time can move both faster (Hober Mallow being extremely thirsty after being there for less than a minute) and slower ("how long was I in there?" "3 years!" "3 hours") inside the vault. Shouldn't take much to keep foundation 1 alive an extra 150 years.

Snowmanatee
Jun 6, 2003

Stereoscopic Suffocation!
Pretty sure Salvor is dead for real. On the official podcast Goyer talks about breaking the news to Leah Harvey. Harvey's definitely no longer main cast. But he hinted Salvor could pop again in some form, like how Raych had new flashback scenes this season.

Snowmanatee fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Sep 19, 2023

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

DaveKap posted:

Well, during the "pals go into the vault" episode, we have evidence that time can move both faster (Hober Mallow being extremely thirsty after being there for less than a minute) and slower ("how long was I in there?" "3 years!" "3 hours") inside the vault. Shouldn't take much to keep foundation 1 alive an extra 150 years.

I gotta say I appreciate those little jokes from Constant - they were wonderfully silly and out of place, but then, the last one, was kinda bittersweet and the whole idea was just so well written.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Mokotow posted:

I gotta say I appreciate those little jokes from Constant - they were wonderfully silly and out of place, but then, the last one, was kinda bittersweet and the whole idea was just so well written.
She's an interestingly layered character, perfectly acted, and absolutely adorable. Losing her would be a shame and outside of Harry Potter, I haven't seen the actress in any of her other roles so I hope she gets some better stuff in the future.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

DaveKap posted:

I hope she gets some better stuff in the future.

Yeah same, she has really won me over with this role and I hope to see more of her in the future.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I seen the author was born in the Soviet Union, the series feels like a soviet sci-fi with its vague lofty concepts, and assumed the work was soviet in origin.

Little did I know Foundation is actually americana, my bad book-readers :shrug:

Snowmanatee
Jun 6, 2003

Stereoscopic Suffocation!
You should read Asimov’s wiki page past his place of birth. He’s kinda a big deal, and not just to “book-readers” of an Apple TV show.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Wow, his parents owned a bunch of candy stores.

rabble rabble
Mar 24, 2015

Nap Ghost

Jehde posted:

I seen the author was born in the Soviet Union, the series feels like a soviet sci-fi with its vague lofty concepts, and assumed the work was soviet in origin.

Little did I know Foundation is actually americana, my bad book-readers :shrug:

lmao

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Open Source Idiom posted:

I won't pretend that I prioritise plot logic over emotional logic (though I do care about mechanics, it's just priorities, you know?). There's basically nothing about the cleaning bot that makes much sense -- it doesn't even appear to have cleaning attachments!? -- but i got teary, and I laughed at the name gag. Great stuff.

Hyperspace Jump Locked.
You cannot launch any escape pods or (something - didn't catch it) for reasons.
But, you can operate the airlocks!
And then it turns out you can launch a different type of pod!

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

~Coxy posted:

Hyperspace Jump Locked.
You cannot launch any escape pods or (something - didn't catch it) for reasons.
But, you can operate the airlocks!
And then it turns out you can launch a different type of pod!

a pod you only have one of on a city sized battleship
where you misplaced the orbital drop suits from an earlier episode
and those escape pod reasons I assume also affected the Coffin's Star Trek teleporters

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Basically devoured the whole season over the last few days, really looking forward to season 3 being Demerzel's descent into desperation and madness.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

i enjoyed Season 2 waaay more than S1 but i'm having a real hard time following Hari's plan.

and what even is he now? immortal? a god? that went insane? he put the vault on Terminus? did he blow up the sky bridge? because it feels like the only way his exile plan worked is because of the exact timing of the attack...

is Riose coming back? pretty lame if that was it, and they just kept the husband alive for some reason

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

can any c/d the foundation part of this post from the binge thread?

Killer robot posted:

Wheel of Time and Foundation were the two most improved second seasons I've seen in years, though in very different ways. Wheel of Time found its footing in capturing the theme/spirit of the books even where the stories diverged; Foundation did no such thing, but it was a lot more fun than its first season so I didn't care if it barely felt like it was trying to adapt the books.

i stopped watching after season 1 not because of divergence from the books but because all the terminus/terminus-adjacent characters and plots were so awful and boring. i did enjoy the visuals and most of the empire stuff. is season 2 worth watching?

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Wafflecopper posted:

i stopped watching after season 1 not because of divergence from the books but because all the terminus/terminus-adjacent characters and plots were so awful and boring. i did enjoy the visuals and most of the empire stuff. is season 2 worth watching?

yes, I also almost didnt bother with S2. the empire stuff is really good

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Wafflecopper posted:

Yes to both absolutely.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Wafflecopper posted:

You should absolutely watch it. Even the Terminus story is better.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

https://collider.com/foundation-season-3-renewed/

hell yeah

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

That an unusually late renewal for a series requiring so much pre-filming work.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Mokotow posted:

It was renewed ages ago, they're partway through filming the season already. They're just on a break until January.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Mokotow posted:

Must be hell for Lee Pace to mainain that gently caress machine body between the filming each season.. I'm guessing it's a long shoot and a long post process

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

It was renewed ages ago, they're partway through filming the season already. They're just on a break until January.

The press release from Apple only came out yesterday

https://www.apple.com/tv-pr/news/2023/12/apple-tv-renews-global-hit-epic-sci-fi-saga-foundation-for-season-three/

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Sure, but everything I said still stands. It began filming back in April.

Edit: Here's an article about when they were filming in Prague back in May.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Dec 6, 2023

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Maybe it’s financed under a different model, ei. not fully Apple-backed.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Sure, but everything I said still stands. It began filming back in April.

Edit: Here's an article about when they were filming in Prague back in May.

Until september, the strike halted it according to the comments.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Foundation: It’s all been dune before

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Just finished the season. Some episodes were good and some were poop, poopies

Last episode was good though, it wasn't poops.

Day Cleon and Robot Lady are the best parts of the show by far. The rest of the cast is merely OK. I'm looking forward to The Mule next season if only because he is a local Swedish actor and he seems to be hamming it up real good

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Oh and Bel Riose too, that dude had presence. Would have liked to see him in S3

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Collapsing Farts posted:

Oh and Bel Riose too, that dude had presence. Would have liked to see him in S3

Ah but did you see the body?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Hari used space magic to save Bel Riose and his boyfriend somehow.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Pretty sure Bel Riose got vaporized.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I mean by this point surely anyone could come back

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Even my wife liked the show, and she hardly likes anything I watch.

She freely admits her liking of the show is 90% due to Lee Pace. I agree with her.

Dude looks like a living Michelangelo sculpture.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Dec 20, 2023

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Kaddish posted:

Even my wife liked the show, and she hardly likes anything I watch.

She freely admits her liking of the show is 90% due to Lee Pace. I agree with her.

Dude looks like a living Michelangelo sculpture.

His trainer deserves an Emmy

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Just burnt through both seasons and I love the show. The cast is great, but Lee Pace is just a step above.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

When I think about this show and "Lee Pace" the image that pops up effortlessly in my head is him staggering half-naked through the desert on the religious trek, dragging a toe and just about going limp like he's suspended from a string.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
Brother Day has this, I dunno, a certain roll to his shoulders that constantly brings to mind Sting standing 7/8ths nude in a bunch of steam in Dune.