Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I'd watch a fanedit of just the parts with various Cleons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I think the main problem with adapting Foundation is that it was written in a time where science fiction characters hopped in a spaceship and warped off to the stars and today's science fiction is more about characters in grimy overalls in the bowels of the ship talking about how the engines aren't working right

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Peachfart posted:

And Sci fi is worse for it.

There is an author named Jack McDevitt who is still cranking out the very milquetoast 40's/50's/60's sci-fi of people in flowing robes pressing buttons on giant computers before they hop into capsules that hyperspace them across the galaxy but he's in no way as popular as your Expanse or your Andy Weir books

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Personally, I'm still very paranoid about posting without spoiler text because back around 10 years ago the rules on that were pretty capriciously and severely enforced. People getting banned over not using spoiler text in situations that maybe didn't warrant that.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I just finished the first episode and I love this dumbass show.

Of course, I agree it should be all Cleons all the time. I think of the rest as filler, like how cheap cans of mixed nuts are mostly peanuts.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

emanresu tnuocca posted:

it really hasn't been that way since Aatrek got exposed as a pedophile and was permabanned.

I know it's not rational but I still feel that way.

Also:re: Foundation: yeah, what plot?? I think this show is mostly about technobabble conversations and cool sci-fi visuals, not a coherent story.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

stephenthinkpad posted:

It's called Psycho History GAAAL!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

This show is fun as hell and I hope it lasts forever with endless bullshit nonsense. It's science fiction that's doing something actually different, which is refreshing.

Put me down as someone who loved the part with Gaal leaving footprints and Hari not. I thought the giant rock statue looked cool and ancient, very Lord of the Rings. The future prison was sufficiently horrifying yet still sci-fi. Demerzel creeps me out. I found the parts with Bel Riose and his husband affecting. The whole Hober Mallow bit with the swashbuckling rogue definitely reminded me of adventure stories I enjoyed as a kid.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Data Graham posted:

I appreciated the awkward realistic sex scene

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

stephenthinkpad posted:

Does this fist pump exchange imply Day only know how to have sex with mummy robot but never with a human being?

Current Dusk was a way cooler day than current Day. Compare and contrast "Call me Day" with "Call me Cleon"

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

The first three episodes of this season were legitimately good.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

They're clones and their name is Cleon which is just the word clone very slightly rearranged

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm rewatching season one

So no one ever found out who exactly bombed the star bridge or why??

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I've read the books. I see this show as a whole different thing that uses elements from the books to tell a new story. I don't know why people post book things in this thread, it's fuckin stupid.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

stephenthinkpad posted:

Does this show ever foreshadow anything and come back to it later?

The monologue at the beginning of the first episode of the first season actually talks about everything that's happening now in the second season

Apparently the people in charge of the show have an actual eight season plan not just going by the seat of their pants.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Listen I don't think TV shows should make you do homework but there's some solid and helpful info in the first episode of the companion podcast.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I still say Michael Caine would've been a better Hari Seldon in the world of this show

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Mr. Nemo posted:

Is this season good at all beyond Cleon?

I loved the first 3 books, but the first season was a big disappointment
So much better than the first season

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Snowmanatee posted:

I haven't been paying close enough attention to usernames to tell if not liking Ella-Rae Smith's (Queen Sareth's) acting is a common sentiment or one or two people really hung up on it and mentioning it every week, but I think she's doing a good job with the character.
I think she's doing fine also

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Despite being mother and daughter Salvor and Gaal are as alike as Jenny and Lieutenant Dan

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Salvor is a frontier sheriff who had never been off Terminus before going on her adventure! Gaal is a psychic mathematician from a water planet ruled by an anti-technology cult!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Things definitely happened this episode

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, they've established that the mentallics aren't just projecting illusions or whatever, they're actively pressuring people to their will. She's not being tricked, she's being compelled.

This

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Caros posted:

With respect, this feels like an issue with you not really getting subtext with regards to the empire declining.

You really found a good way to sum up how I felt reading that post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I like season one a lot more now that I've seen season two and I think it's essential