Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
I was tempted to start a post on this *obscure* work of fiction, thanks OP!

As a fan of the book and good adaptations in general, I'm cautiously optimistic about this show. The cast is stacked, the showrunners are experienced and apple+ has been on fire lately with it's new offerings.

While the purist in me wishes for a straight adaptation, the realist knows that the medium forces some compromises in terms of structure and pacing.

Simply put, the book doesn't allow for many developed character arcs and modern TV kind of depends on them. There are loads of new characters in the short trailer we've seen, and it will be interesting to see how they develop as the story rushes through centuries at a breakneck speed.

Whatever gets Lee Pace's shirt off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit

etalian posted:

I'm hoping Jared Harris does his Belter accent from the Expanse randomly in one the episodes.

HAR BUNES WER CHOLK

Can't wait to crack the first episode tonight. Since the Expanse shat the bed there's been a Boötes sized void for mature TV science fiction.

My head-cannon always cast Seldon as an Arthur C Clarke figure, but Jarred Harris is perfect casting.

Absolutely hope we get to the point in the book this season where Seldon is long dead but appears in scheduled holograms. His foundation is facing peril and he appears one last time. People hope he delivers some prophecy or solution, instead he pops in and says basically, "You're on your own, fuckers!".

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
I'm not going to get into the weeds here, but as a book fan the show blew my expectations out of the water and left me thirsty for more.

I'm usually very stingy when it comes to padding sacred material for a different medium, but all the changes so far have been very well done. The clone emperors show an interesting dynamic and the space elevator scenes were a wild ride.

Asimov had mastered the art of writing polite dialogue between two educated, middle aged men and saw no use in included women or children. Changes needed to be happen and I can see they were clearly made with respect and love for the source material.

There were multiple times in episode 2 where I'd flash to the new Zola movie They started loving. It was gross. but the intimacy just went on, and on like a trainwreck I was a passenger on.

Too much sex in my Asimov was never a complaint I thought possible, but it's 2021 and here we are.

Show has taken the torch from The Expanse. Show good.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Foundation: The Folly of Centralized Government

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Season 2 can be nothing but Hologram Hari looking directly at the camera while he scolds the audience and at this point, I'd eat it right up.

This is good news.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
The casting in the show is really on point.

True Trantor mathematics for true Trantors.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Whole lot of hot and cold takes in this thread.

Me during the last episode-

"The slow blade penetrates the shield."
:sickos:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit

Threadkiller Dog posted:

Maybe they will just throw Will Smith in there in a cryopod as a season end cliffhanger.

Uncle Phil is going to have one hell of a time getting the Fresh Prince out of that one!