Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Loezi posted:

Loving the thing they did with the emperor.

Is this from the books? It strikes me as a great way to keep hold of their headline actors if the story spans centuries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

What I can’t help doing is thinking how much the show seems like a knowing mashup of Cloud Atlas/The Expanse/Dune

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

TomR posted:

I need to watch this again with subtitles on or something. I didn't understand half the poo poo that was said.

I do this 100% of the time regardless. Not because I have any trouble hearing, I just don't want to miss an unfamiliar name or reference or something and then preoccupy myself with "wait, what?"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Glimpse posted:

I did a lot of rewinding 30 seconds, turning on subtitles, then minutes later turning them off annoyed that they’re covering up some detail on the screen I want to see.

I would applaud the first TV app maker who develops this as a feature.

"Rewind 15 seconds and turn on subtitles temporarily for that 15 seconds"

Call it the "wait what" button

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I don't like how Hari is pronounced "Harry".

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I don't know whether to blame the show or Asimov for this (lol if the latter) but one thing I'm irked about is that they characterize Seldon's whole deal as "mathematics" but then portray mathematic savants as being basically good at counting. Like they keep saying things like "Seldon's numbers were correct" and having Gaal recite prime numbers to herself, as though "mathematics" is about numbers, instead of abstract concepts and proofs and extrapolation of theoretical constructs into other theoretical constructs. But that's presumably what the audience expects "mathematics" to mean so they just keep harping on it. "I'm a mathematical genius, I can recite pi to a thousand places :smug:" *gets rejected from MIT because I have no ability to formulate a proof*

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

But it has ships with a black hole on board copy pasted out of Interstellar, kip thorne would say it’s hard scifi

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

duz posted:

If they are discussing the best physical methods of keeping time, maybe they are planning for an encyclopedia that doesn't require computers?

Holding out for a scene where they develop the Voyager 1 star maps and "nothing valued is here" warnings

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lester Fremen

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

YOu're not even singing, you're just forcing air through a fleshy tube and squeezing it in weird ways so it makes noises

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Phenotype posted:

Mythic Quest was steaming hot poo poo, too, and I generally love the stuff that guy is involved with. Think Big Bang Theory only MMORPG and somehow less funny and even less realistic.

I can't wait til all the streaming services with like 2 good shows each all team up and just make us buy Cable 2.0 for $80 a month again.

It looked like they were trying to recreate Silicon Valley. Never watched Mythic Quest because I couldn't imagine anyone would be able to make that long-shot of a concept work and not be another cringe-fest like all the other "aol dot backslash am I right?" nerd/tech sitcoms until somehow lightning struck with SV

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

PRESENT DAY

*cuts to a kid in Reseda making a TikTok video, Hari Seldon pops through a rift in space-time and says "there's no time Morty, psychohistory is real, take the Orb" and disappears*

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I chortled when the hologram-Seldon did the trope thing that historical holograms are filmed by a 2-camera crew

Fuckin Star Wars got that right from day 1, then everybody just sort of decided to not give a gently caress about how it would actually work and use it as a lazy narrative crutch with better effects than whoever did it last

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It would be interesting to see if the show explores an idea like “this prediction didn’t come true” “oh wait, we just didn’t have enough data, here is the new prediction” and see how the powers that be / the general population responds in terms of how much credibility “math” loses or retains

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Nitrousoxide posted:

You'd think that failures in setting the initial conditions would propagate out into really wrong predictions in the distant future. It's not like your system would be able to correct for simple failures to accurately gather stats on the empire and especially outside of the empire where surely data to feed into your initial state would be sparse at best.

Pray, Mr. Babbage,

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Really advanced math = numbers with like 25 digits

e: or like I dunno, long division

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lucky Starr shows up and buck rogers-blasts his way onto the prison ship

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Cuz lots of prime divisibility is universally great

12K years from now sexagesimal and base-10 measurement systems will still be in an uneasy rivalry

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Caros posted:

The editing in this show is so loving weird. I don't want to even call it bad, though it often can be, it is just so strange that they spent a bajillion on CGI but have such strangely disconnected shots.

The start of the terminus plot this episode was the perfect example. A bunch of guys standing overlooking the obliterated flaming wreckage of a space ship. They say 'Well he must have survived, their ships are good at keeping their people alive'

Hard cut to the officer crawling away from the same guys at the bottom of the same hill.

How is he the only one who survived. How did they not see him when he was like... 50 feet away. Why is he crawling towards a gun when he appears otherwise not substantially injured. Did it fly out of his holster during the explosion that didn't hurt him?

It was night time when the explosion happened, did they wait all night for the wreckage to stop flaming before searching? If so, why does he still look like the explosion was seconds ago?

How long were they murdering the city for? They started at night and were still gunning down randoms the following morning? How is anyone still alive?

Okay I'm done.

Lee Pace still rocks and I continue to think I'd be much happier with clone arrested development than I am with the rest of the supposed A plot.

Yeah I keep noticing weird stuff like this too. One example was when Salvor mind-flashed to the Trantor library the first time. She saw that kid looking at her and some shelves of books in the background while she tried to get her bearings, but then flashed back to the present. Then a few minutes later she told Hugo that she saw the Vault in the library vision where a kid was holding a knife on her. I was like "wait, WHAT?" and rewound to rewatch the library scene again, twice, and I couldn't see any Vault anywhere. I wasn't sure whether to chalk it up to me being bad at TV or them.

That wasn't the only such weird deja-vun't scene but it's the one that jumps to mind

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

stephenthinkpad posted:

Haven't read anyone's comment on ep6. But I really enjoy the perverted palace stuff Apple come up with. Brother Dust going sloppy second to pick brother dawn's brain via a concumbin(?) is my favorite weird poo poo. It's like twin sex but scifi. Terminus continue to be garbage. Those 2 kids loving save you, just let them come along on your adventure Salvor you tropy turd.

edit. OMG I loving called the loving Raych thing, gently caress you Apple. DO YOU TRUST THE MATH?!

Oh yeah that was another "wait did I miss something super important??" moment. The kids beat the gently caress out of a guard, and then the next time you see them they're dragging Salvor along by her ankles. I was like, wait, did they just beat up SALVOR and I didn't recognize her?? What the actual

But no either I'm randomly blanking out every few minutes which is concerning, or they just sort of had an extremely relevant "oh look it's Salvor, we should save her" scene happen offscreen and immediately after an on-screen scene that seemed all but intentionally designed to be confused with it.

e: oh uh

Metropolis posted:

I thought the colour blindness story was actually pretty cool though. Turned out he was an expert hunter because he is not distracted by colour camouflage. We think he hides how well he hunted for fear of upstaging Dusk when really it's to hide something he perceives as a weakness. I didn't really care for the 'romance scene' which was just a regular scene with 'romantic music' blaring over it.

I would have missed this allusion/plot point entirely if you hadn't pointed it out. The colorblindness thing and the good at hunting color-camouflaged birds thing seemed totally unconnected in my mind until now and I'm wondering if I'm just loving stupid.

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Oct 23, 2021

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Though as a colorblind person I must say I'm on my guard as to whether the writers think colorblindness means "only sees in grayscale" as is the common misconception, as opposed to "has trouble distinguishing between certain specific colors" as is the usual reality.

I bought an [object] today at an [object] show and picked the one I did in particular because I liked the pretty bright red color. When I got to the car the guy I was with told me it was green

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Maybe Hardin is going to totally fail and then it will be later revealed over long periods of time that it didn't matter one way or another what she did, the long arc of history would have played out the same anyway. Maybe they can even have a character called Syrah Konar be her daughter or something

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I keep expecting Dawn to just be gay. That kinda feels like what a lot of this stuff is code for and I’m wondering why they’re veering off

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Heh, good point. The Empire falls because of teh gayz

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The big twist/departure will be that Hari Seldon was a crazy crank and the real oracle was Ian Malcolm

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The show is good but I don't know if it qualifies as being "brainy" like Foundation has the reputation of being.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Centrist Committee posted:

It has its moments, like when the emperors talk philosophy, or the AI gets outsmarted by math, or the foundation debates numbering systems

True, but as we've discussed, to me those moments feel both too in-your-face and out-of-nowhere to seem like an organic part of the story, and too popular-idea-of-what-math-is to actually mean anything or get the audience thinking about the implications.

Way too often the show leans on "say a lot of numbers" as their shorthand for "math is happening". Like when Gaal recites giant prime numbers or when she asks for 3D cones in space with specific numeric angles. It's a step up on the cerebral-o-meter from Data rattling off time estimates to 17 decimal places but not much.

I mentioned Ian Malcolm earlier and I've been thinking JP actually might have had a way bigger cultural impact than it aimed for in favor of people understanding the implications of mathematics as a field of study, just by giving them a label to put on the phenomenon of "poo poo will get more hosed up over time and you can't predict anything".

Foundation thus far is more retreading the opposite (T2) angle, which is "the future is preordained because of human nature, no matter what individuals might do we're all doomed". Except in this case it's less "it's worth fighting against the dying of the light anyway because cool Arnold robots" and more "this Jared Harris guy says if you know enough big numbers you can predict the future even if you personally avert or cause the death of trillions".

e: This latest episode with its front-and-center handling of the philosophical/religious rebellion against the Emperors' "immortality" is doing good things though. If they tie that back into the psychohistory stuff in some coherent way I will giddily eat my words.

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Oct 27, 2021

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah, that too. So far Hari Seldon just looks like a weird crazy person who is wrong about everything and Empire was right to ship him off to the ends of the universe.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

XboxPants posted:

nanomachines

Rememberifitdoesn'tsayNanomachines,it'snottherealthing!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Metropolis posted:

space bf dying so hilariously and quickly has got to mean he isn't dead. he might be the only smart person on the Foundation's team and he's not even in the Foundation. Faking being lost in space is pretty risky and clever if that's what he's doing.

And especially the fact that they showed a shot of him floating away long after it was dramatically necessary for the plot beat of the moment. They might as well have cut to his POV and had him start talking to himself about how to recover and land on the opposite side of the ring like Naomi on the Expanse

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Nitrousoxide posted:

Extremely wild that their galaxy-brain plan is to grab a single person from the Foundation who maybe ran a warp capable ship for merchants decades ago (after indiscriminently slaughtering people at the colony for hours on end) and expect him to be able to operate a one-of-a-kind Empire military ship from at least 700 years ago (that's when it was lost, not when it was built) and do so with only a few hours to familiarize themselves with it due to the ship randomly jumping around the galaxy.

Is their warp expert even loving with them at this point? I don't think he is. Is the Warden, despite never having been in space in her life, supposed to be the one to fix the drive now?

I lol'd at "This UI is archaic, we're going to have to type in commands manually", like ok we've made 700 years' worth of progress in the real world in 30

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lol at Hari casually dropping "First Foundation"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Steerpike posted:

You’re not misremembering. This show decided it wanted to be Dune, now, apparently.

I was thinking that since the first episode when that ambassador or whoever rolled up in the throne room with the bright blue eyes. Dune + Cloud Atlas

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Centrist Committee posted:

The whole invictus plot is such amazing trash TV. From the height of imperial technology leaving the default password on the doors for 700 years, to the low budget jump scene, to the triple trope of the ticking bomb, the raining spaceship, and the catwalk over an open vat of acid, I was hooting and hollering the whole time.

They should have hauled off and had some of the smashy-chompy-things from Galaxy Quest

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"Math is for nerds" — Hari Seldon

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

There's been so much great stuff out lately though. A show that looks this good really should be written better.

It seems fair but feels foul

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hey at least we got a "everything is going according to my plans, including the parts that looked like they were going against my plans" puppetmaster speech

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

ElGroucho posted:

Holy gently caress, when one of you quoted that “space jumps are an art more than science” I thought for sure you were quoting Dune, but this loving show, Jesus loving Christ

This show wants to be Dune so bad

Maybe it wants to be Galaxy Quest

e: I was joking but it did have the smashy chompy things scene

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Something tells me the show is trying to build itself up to the revelation of the 3 Laws being something they do in the season finale as some massively clever narrative move.

e: also if a robot had the vision it implies that it isn't a hallucination, right? Not that that matters, I'm not sure what this planet/religion subplot is ultimately about even

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Nov 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I lol'd at the "I see doubt in your eyes, you have a wife and kid don't you?" at the huntress' henchman

Welp, see ya