Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
Really enjoyed episode 1. It captured the spirit of the story, and most of the changes were for the better (the much needed gender swapping, the cloned Emperor, etc).

Episode 2 went off the rails a bit. I suppose Seldon dying before reaching Terminus is in keeping with the original story, but uh, wow.

Some really weird offhand references to Spacers and the Robot Wars though, wonder what that's foreshadowing.

I've heard season one adapts the first 2/3rds or so of Foundation, stopping before Hober Mallow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
I re-read Foundation last week (it had been 10+ years, at least). The adaptation is actually a lot more faithful than I initially gave it credit. Dornick's arrival/meeting with Seldon/the trial is all really well adapted. The prime radiant stuff, from how weird it is, to how only Gaal can manipulate Seldon's, is all there. Also, aside from that, Gaal Dornick in the books is an absolutely nothing character, just a cipher for exposition in the first few chapters and immediately discarded. The drama with Anacreon is all foreshadowing stuff that will happen down the road.

The self-doubt Seldon starts to have on the colony ship closely reflects a long conversation Hardin has with his assistant in the book, where he deduces why there are no psychohistorians on Terminus. Not as out of left field as I thought, though Raych murdering him is still a :wtf: moment.

Second Foundation speculation, the Second Foundation is started by Raych's daughter/Seldon's granddaughter, which in the series mean's Dornick's daughter too. The timeline is off though, as the character will be born after Seldon's death. Has Seldon mentioned the whole other end of the galaxy/Star's End thing in the series yet? Is it possible that gets set up post-him dying.

Demerzel being a robot is well established by the novels, but Empire knowing this is new. Also, in the novels, Demerzel/Daneel is a big proponent of Seldon's plans, not sure if that will be the case in the series.

mr. unhsib fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Oct 1, 2021

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
I don't mind that the overall plot is padded out a bit, and enjoyed episode 3 for the most part (though I was thrown for a sec and thought they introduced Hober Mallow *way* too early).

That being said, I don't see this "Salvor has a special connection to the vault" subplot going anywhere good.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
Plenty of cheap copies of Foundation on eBay...

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.

galenanorth posted:

In terms of that 40s/50s weirdness think it's kind of like how Star Trek TOS justified Gary Mitchell by referencing ESP

John Campbell, who published Foundation (and Dune) as editor of Astounding Science Fiction, was fuckin *obsessed* with ESP.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.

chaosbreather posted:

So my problems with the zeroth law theory are:

1. a zeroth law event is insanely traumatic for the robot. It hurts them like crazy, like they stroke out a bit witnessing it. So the idea that she’d be in for that is pretty wild and she didn’t really visibly react at all
2. it’s a world with access to alternatives like suspended animation, so the death ritual is unnecessary. She could probably easily fake the death with some holograms and spirit them away and it would have the exact same psychological impact.
3. The ritual can’t possibly under any calculations because worth killing a dude

(book spoilers) The zeroth law is initially traumatic for Giskard after he re-programs himself because he's not sure if he's acting in humanity's best interests or not by killing Amadiro (in Robots and Empire). By the time Demerzel/Daneel is the Emperor's first minister, something like 30 thousand years have passed and presumably he's learned to cope with it a bit better. While the artist vaporization is invented for the series, Asimov does allude to Cleon's powers of life and death in his books. I didn't find it to be a stretch.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
Man, that Imperial ship went out like a bitch. I guess that can be written away as a symptom of overall decline.

My theory for Gaal Dornick is that (book spoiler) they've merged that character with Wanda Seldon and she will be the nucleus of the Second Foundation.

The "young Salvor Hardin" stuff is interesting. They dropped the "violence is the last refuge of the incompetent" line a few episodes back, and her seeing the Anacreonieans kick rear end all over Terminus is a more compelling outcome than her leading a resistance to succesfully beat them back or something.

Also, regarding all the vault spoilers that were posted earlier, David Goyer mentioned on the official Foundation podcast that what the vault is will surprise even book-readers.

Chalk me up as a fan of the books that's been loving this series so far. Thought the Gaal backstory dragged a bit, though. Also (Foundation and Earth spoilers), anyone else think that Gaal's homeworld is very similar to the ocean planet Trevize et al visit? Wonder if that's random or if that's actually headed somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

In the books the Second Foundation is set up as the "opposite" of the First Foundation, in the sense that their power and influence are entirely based on telepathy and mind-manipulation, rather than physical science. And we have seen absolutely nothing like that in the show so far.

Granted, the show has already gone off the book-rails, so I guess anything is possible.

Well, there's those weird premonitions etc Salvor Hardin's been having, but that doesn't fit in with anything, book or adaption, yet.