Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Brigadier Sockface posted:

Is that little finger?

Assuming you mean Jerril, I thought so too for a second, but it's not. He's actually this guy who may or may not be the lovechild of Littlefinger and Jean-Baptiste Emanuel Zorg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Comrade Fakename posted:

This is from quite far back in the thread, but this is untrue. Here's the monologue from the first episode:

"When I was a child, I told my mother I wanted to learn every planet in the Galactic Empire, beginning in the centre and moving out to Star's End.
Each night she told me stories. I travelled light-years, my mind expanding to hold more and more worlds. But I never reached Terminus.
Straddling the farthest reaches of civilisation, unsettled by man, it was the end. And its story remained dark to me until many years later.
Until it became my story. Until it became the only story."

The "light-years travelled" are in Gaal's imagination. Her mother's stories just never got to Terminus because it's an obscure planet. This doesn't preclude Gaal from turning up on Terminus at some point in the show. are obviously other ways to achieve this).

that's a hell of a stretch

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I haven’t read the books and I’m enjoying it well enough. It’s not all-time great TV or anything but I don’t feel like you have to have read the books to “get it”

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Yeah just suspend disbelief and watch the show instead of arguing about it for pages you god drat nerds

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Taear posted:

Imagine coming to a thread to discuss a show, whoa

there's discussing the show and there's the equivalent of arguing for pages about how jedi couldn't be real

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Collateral posted:

It's not real my friend.

now you've spoiled that he doesn't die, gently caress yoooouuuuuuuu

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Patrat posted:

They were wearing helmets!

This was the best part. If a helmet can't protect you from a punch, what can it protect you from? I guess that's why the named characters never wear them; they're too smart.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

yeah i don't think the idea that someone might actually attack the ship even occurred to him. like not just that they might have the capability, but that they'd even consider it in the first place

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Rutibex posted:

The communication relay was taken down, they explicitly could not communicate with the rest of the empire

Unless the ship had its own array built in. Probably not, but unless I missed a line ruling that out it’s a possibility

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

D-Pad posted:

That was the best episode yet.

Lots of shirtless lee pace in the first 2 mins, good start

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I enjoyed the ep but I thought it was dumb that Anachreons’ plan to capture valuable prisoners with special spaceship expertise kicked off with indiscriminately murdering everyone in sight

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Also just want to stress AGAIN that their ENTIRE plan revolved entirely on taking hostage the commander of an Empire warship and the way they executed this plan was to.... shoot the warship out of the sky and have it hit the ground at speed and blow up, and just assumed he would survive this enormous explosion.

Look, empire ships have really good airbags okay

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

It would be like some admiral taking over a derelict nuclear aircraft carrier while pointing an old sword at people all the time.

so warhammer 40k?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Aertuun posted:

air the place out

that might prove difficult

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

I really hate the huntress chick, like we get it, you're mad, and a psycho, jfc so one note it's tiring. on the other hand I actually care about the foundation crew now if only by a sliver just because I hope they space that bitch.

yeah this, and the other anachreon guy isn't much better. such one dimensional characters. terminus crew aren't much better but at least they aren't so tryhard and edgy all the time. i'm kind of interested in the overall terminus story beats but how they hit them is just so badly written and none of the characters are compelling at all

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Nitrousoxide posted:

Seriously, they've completely forgotten about this space obelisk. There's like literally no way it can even impact the story now since it's lightyears away.

What a weird complaint. Terminus crew have been off world for a whole episode. You don’t have to be able to see the future to guess they’ll be back

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

as an illiterate show watcher myself, man if you're that worried about it at this point just skip the posts that are half spoiler blocks, is it really worth writing that post over

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Nitrousoxide posted:

I expect the upcoming Wheel of Time thread to not have spoilers for "The Eye of the World" book which came out some 37 years ago.

yeah you're gonna be disappointed on that one i think

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

i mean, there's only 2 eps left assuming it's a 10 ep season, might as well ride it out at this point

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

what on earth is the y axis here

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Rutibex posted:

Because that would violate the tenets of the Butlerian Jihad

i know where it's from but every time i see that term i picture an army of butlers going all holy war on their employers

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

apatheticman posted:

Magic clear boat just really is the perfect encapsulation of the effort put into this show.... two oars appear out of nowhere... gently caress you that's why

Yeah I loled at this. Latest ep spoilers I guess Gaal's lifeboat capsule has FTL and can keep her alive for 138 years, but it can't function as a boat, and the magic boat it can make out of a tube IS POWERED BY OARS BECAUSE AN OUTBOARD MOTOR WOULD JUST BE TOO HIGH TECH TO BE BELIEVABLE LMAO

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

MiddleOne posted:

That incessantly stupid neck-snap was the dumbest possible way to resolve that conflict.

the neck snap was actually extremely cessant

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

gonna stick it out for another season just to see if my prediction of aura hobo popping up to wreck empire's poo poo comes true

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Small White Dragon posted:

Never did watch the third season, I assume it was bad.

I tried to watch it and gave up halfway through

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Parappa the Dapper posted:

He reveals a third Foundation

oops all Foundations

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

show bad etc but like who's the competition?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Peachfart posted:

Does it get better?

lmao. lol

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Kaal posted:

Episode 8 is not too bad, and certainly memorable.

I don't specifically remember episode 8 at all. I'm sure I remember parts of it, but I don't remember which episode those parts are from, and I certainly don't go "wow, that ep 8, foundation was mostly poo poo but boy howdy that ep 8, I sure remember that one"

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Eiba posted:

I'm not sure how you make a compelling modern TV show that's about the grand scale of social forces, and has all its characters just being swept along by forces outside their control, without making the characters and their stories feel useless and unsatisfying.

The Wire

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Eiba posted:

That doesn't really seem this show's style.

Counterpoint: the huntress

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

nice of those assassins to walk in one at a time just as he killed the previous one

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

you've seen the best two episodes

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Legs Benedict posted:

there’s even a scene where they basically say it out loud

i'm not going to watch it but i'd be interested to read an elaboration on this

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

can any c/d the foundation part of this post from the binge thread?

Killer robot posted:

Wheel of Time and Foundation were the two most improved second seasons I've seen in years, though in very different ways. Wheel of Time found its footing in capturing the theme/spirit of the books even where the stories diverged; Foundation did no such thing, but it was a lot more fun than its first season so I didn't care if it barely felt like it was trying to adapt the books.

i stopped watching after season 1 not because of divergence from the books but because all the terminus/terminus-adjacent characters and plots were so awful and boring. i did enjoy the visuals and most of the empire stuff. is season 2 worth watching?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

that's a really annoying way to do spoiler tags