Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I am going on record that this show is cool and good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

rafikki posted:

What did raych pull off Seldon’s ear after stabbing him?

Speculation, but I'm assuming it was some kind of device that scanned his brainwaves so he could come back as a hologram.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Show continues to be good across the board. It's an ideal balance between austere and goofy.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

stephenthinkpad posted:

Are people not reading Foundation/Dune/Hobbits because they are "too old"?

Or people are just not reading books because reading is a lost art?

Book sales continue to be extremely high, but people generally prefer to read books about bookshop owners solving mysteries with their cats these days. The need for escapism is also extremely high.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Beefeater1980 posted:

I would like to know more about this.

Cat mysteries. Cozy mysteries.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Disagreed, I interpreted it the same way as well.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Fair, yeah, I wasn't responding to the larger debate, just that particular line. I kinda skim this thread sometimes because of all the speculation.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Officially renewed for season 2.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Well, the Apple TV+ numbers are not great. I'd imagine anything that's getting a decent amount of audience traction and critical success is going to be renewed at this point.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Our only hope is that Clone Emperor Bezos XIV is a fan and picks it up once Apple TV+ goes away.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

withak posted:

Was Dawn fumbling to not be left-handed in the dinner scene? Possibly not a good sign in your perfect genetic dynasty.

No. That's showing the clones diverging in personality. The young Cleon is meant to ape the motions, actions, and words of the older generations in order to condition him to be as similar as possible to them. This Brother Dawn is proving to be deviant in that regard. It's showing that despite all efforts, each of these men is not the same, no matter how hard they try. Much like the argument between Day and Dusk, it's highlighting the fracturing of the emperor's singularity of rule, not a physical flaw in the cloning. This is reinforced with him being slow on the uptake several times in the episode, learning to act like the others .

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Isn't psychohistory basically just proto-chaos theory?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I like show

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The show is starting to wear on me. I'm going to watch at least all of this season if not more, but it's so languid and melodramatic while also being breathless and stiff, with underwritten characters, terrible dialogue, and really rough pacing. It's pretty as gently caress and fairly fun even when it's bad, but I was definitely hoping for something a little less dumb. Hopefully it's the sort of show that can steadily improve and come into its own over the course of another season. I'm still enjoying it, but it's real janky.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Oct 16, 2021

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

I'm enjoying this show a lot but the Terminus settlement plot just isn't grabbing me, the other 2 plot lines are great, I like Kilika planet and everything about the empire or Gaal doing the Naomi thing on the ship.

Agreed that Terminus just isn't compelling to me at all. If they were showing me a bunch of well-meaning scientists trying to make a utopia based on rationality but failing because they're too human or something, I could see myself getting into it. But it's just an ultra-generic space colony focusing on a dull character. And I can find nothing to like about the terrorist revenge story.

I like Gaal's story moving forward, but found her backstory this week to be a chore. What was I supposed to get out of it that I didn't already get in the first episode?

Empire is definitely the standout storyline to me and feels like it captures the scope out of this show that I want. Though I wish we were seeing it collapse over far more generations.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Oct 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Art of the Title covers a ton of them.