Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

First episode 9/24
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4QYV5GTz7c

Based on the classic series by Isaac Asimov, Foundation follows the titular institution aka The Encyclopedia Galactica charged with collecting and preserving knowledge before and during the fall of the galaxy spanning Empire. The TV series looks like it is mainly adapting the later prequel books which dealt with the actual start of the Foundation and Hari Seldon's conflicts with the Emperor. Starring Jared Harris as "Hari Seldon", the creator of Psychohistory and Lee Pace as "Brother Day" part of a triumvirate of Emperors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The books have an existing excuse that would allow them to keep Jared Harris around so they could just make it into kind of an anthology show.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Apparently the first episode is up now. Personally I ain't got time to watch it tonight.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I laughed at the "Present Day" card that popped up last week because they've been skipping around so much that it meant absolutely nothing. It did eventually shake out but still.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Explicitly showing whether or not Day had the vision was a weird decision. It would have been much better if the whole thing was ambiguous.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Salvor going "of course, genetic memories" like that made any bit of sense was very funny.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Gaal/Salvor plot is definitely the weakest, especially now that they no longer are moored to any specific plot. Also I guess we're supposed to be at the point of the story where the Foundation is acting as a religion except we don't really get to see it because we spent all our time with characters not actually at the Foundation.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

Are the people from the foundation from last season dead now? Maybe they shouldn't wait two years between seasons for shows that are already impossible to follow.

Yes, it has been 138 years since last season so all the Foundation people are dead except for Gaal and Salvor.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The problem with an active Seldon means you don't get that fun moment where they go to watch a recording to see what he says about the Mule and he stars talking about an unrelated thing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Season 1 had computer Hari say that the Second Foundation was supposed to be at Star's End (which is from the books) but then he gave Star's End as a specific location when in the books it was just a cryptic mystery.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Quixotic1 posted:

Next episode, Gaal ends up in the water as well.

Episode after that- the monks,then Hober, then finally dawn day and dusk. As Psychic lady gets increasingly frustrated about why people are so interested in her secret forbidden mystery pool.

I made the same joke to the person I was watching this with. Just that by the end of the season the pool will be completely filled with dead bodies.

Rectal Death Adept posted:

We are thinking about this harder than the writers but I thought that Day seemed to realize he was destined to be forgotten as he was almost swapped out for a replacement unceremoniously and no one would have ever known. A disposable clone in a series of disposable clones. Using the marriage to become a new Cleon The First Of Something seemed like a valid motivation over just backstabbing an outspoken rival for territory.

This would make the current Day important and memorable for ages as the last Cleon or first king of the new dynasty. The original Cleon started the genetic dynasty for the same reasons and it's only maintained by complete selfless dedication to continuance but the current Day explained he felt fear for himself at the first ever assassination attempt. It would make sense that he doesn't want to get flushed down a space toilet with the status quo as is tradition.

One thing that I like about this show that came up in the previous season is how the Cleons are shown to actually care about the idea that they can be replaced with an exact duplicate. Usually in media where such technology exists (like Altered Carbon) none of the characters really seem to mind the idea.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Trying posted:

Psychic Boss Lady is the Mule, somehow

Either that or she's directly responsible for him.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Data Graham posted:

For that matter I lolled at "vent all the oxygen in the airlock". Dude you're at ground level, venting does not do that

Both doors were closed so venting the airlock would remove all the air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

Go sit in your car and close the doors and then open the windows to vent the air. What happens?

That's not how an airlock works. Airlocks have to be able to remove the air from the room so they're not constantly just blasting it out into space whenever someone leaves.