Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

That was a good two episodes. Interesting way to adapt a series of short stories published in a magazine. Good use of the budget in making things look so nice.
I listen to the radio drama yearly cause I find it so enjoyable so I was curious how they'd do the tv series.

Brigadier Sockface posted:

Is that little finger?

I wonder if they tried and couldn't get him so they just went for someone close.

D-Pad posted:

Well in the books it is specifically mentioned that Hari prevented the foundation from having any psychologists or psychohistorians at all on Terminus. The whole point of the plan is that the people can't know the plan or it won't work. So I think what happened is Hari had the guy kill him and jettison the girl. Just before that he even said he had never expected that he would be on the ship. I think he completed his plan and realized that it would only work if nobody involved knew the math and so they both had to go. This was why the dude was so mad at him at dinner because Hari had told him. It's also why he asked the girl if she still believed in the math in the sim. He wanted to be sure Hari was right before he did something so extreme at Hari's direction.

That fits with the direction the prequels novels take so I'd believe it fine.

duz fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Sep 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

The costume design really made me excited for the new Dune movie.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Pham Nuwen posted:

The most interesting thing about them is the magical mathematics, but they just represent that as a big swirly hologram that makes mathematicians look surprised.

tbf, that's how it's described in the books. No they don't explain why they do it there either.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Chairman Capone posted:

I may be completely misremembering this as it's been a while since I've read it, but doesn't the novel open with Gaal riding the space elevator down to Trantor?

They land in a space ship. After landing, Gaal takes an elevator up to the surface to see the real sky. By using a space elevator they can get some exposition and world building out of the way early.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

You shouldn't worry about them trying to cram in too much into the first season. The first season is only going to cover the first half of the first book with the prequel books filling in the details so they can stretch out the story. If you've read the books, look at the episode titles and you can tell where this season is going to end.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

If they are discussing the best physical methods of keeping time, maybe they are planning for an encyclopedia that doesn't require computers?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

This show has 10 episodes for the first season. Supposedly they have an 80 episode story laid out.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Gesadt posted:

maybe I'm not up to my sci-fi or science for that matter, but did anyone else found it weird that space elevator is treated more of an achievement in the empire (or at least Cleon clones, - maybe its a sentiment?), than the vip spaceships that can create their own black holes to teleport across known universe?

I assumed it was being treated more as a monument to himself than it was a useful technology.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

GABA ghoul posted:

I guess, but a couple hundred people still seems too few. The Foundation doesn't even have enough people so send an agent/representative to every world in the Empire. With trillions of people and their cultures and technologies to preserve and spread, it feels like it's just too small. I mean, a random rear end seed bank today already has something like 10 employees. I feel like the show would have benefited from portraying it as a much larger operation. It's not like Hari would have had any trouble convincing at least a couple million librarians to go with him (or whatever the librarian equivalent is in a society that has no need for librarians because libraries have been all digital for ten thousand years).

The book states that Seldon has 98,572 followers as of the trial in the opening. I feel like the emptiness of the show is partially a budget issue and partially trying to emphasize how alone The Foundation is.

stephenthinkpad posted:

Did episode 3 and 4 mention the Encyclopedia at all? book 1 Isn't this a big decoy before the first Seldon Crisis? I am afraid the show watchers have forgotten about it already.

Given that Cleon just dispatched an envoy to Terminus, I feel like it'll be mentioned a lot more real soon.

duz fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 9, 2021

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

Again, that’s not how it works. Yes your black box might spit some numbers out and yes you might interpret those numbers to mean that armageddon is coming.

But how do you know your black box is solving the correct equations? How do you know you’ve accounted for the things that are important and didn’t neglect something you thought was unimportant but is? How do you know that your inputs and parameters are correct? And sure, whatever you put in that black box will spit out some numbers that are factually correct but that doesn’t mean that it’s “correct.” Then you have to consider whether or not you’re interpreting those numbers correctly, if those numbers mean what you think it means.

So yeah, this is why I keep saying it would make more sense if they replaced math/equation with astrology or divine text or something because it is 100% what they are doing.

“The magic black box told us these things via math and therefore x will 100% happen” is no different than “a picture of Jesus appeared in my diarrhea and therefore x will 100% happen.”

You are in a sense summarizing the later books so presumably the show will get into it as well.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Proteus Jones posted:

My thought is it was Raych calling an audible. Gaal was totally not meant to witness Hari's death. I'm guessing that the original plan was Kill Hari>Get the gently caress out using the pod>continue on with whatever. However Gaal being present led Raych to sacrificing himself to save her.

That was the impression I got.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Why wouldn't the shield generator things have back up power? Also I get that they're supposed to be a bunch of researchers but is the concept of cover non existent in the 12,000s? These are minor complaints, still enjoying the show and curious to see where it goes.

I think you can explain any dumb actions by the foundationists by saying they are PhDs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Arglebargle III posted:

When you look at the history of civilization collapse on Earth, the cases where there were really NO survivors are all cases where the necessary changes were obvious and people refused to make them.

Space Florida, got it.

splorida