Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Tweak posted:

I really liked that the time limit hit with them still beating the poo poo out of each other instead of someone racing to a second off pin or holding on in a submission then tapping after the match. I would have wanted more from these two either way but this was just a really good way to do it.

yeah, that hit me right away. The standard for time-limit draw is Cody/Darby where the bell rang between the 2 and 3 of the count, so that was what I was expecting.

did anyone even get a 2-count tonight?

edit:
yeah they each got a couple

if an Avalanche Snapdragon didn't get a 2 count there would be screams in the thread.

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Sep 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

divx
Aug 21, 2005

drat it AEW I'm still too pumped to sleep

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

weekly font posted:

I remember when we used to watch along whatever the SyFy movie of the week was after WWECW shows.

Wanted is no Ice Spiders.

That brings me back. The ecw show was a nice little era

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

A wrestling show has not been this consistently entertaining since the peak of the Attitude Era.

for real

sticklefifer posted:

Daniels is going back to Impact at least for a while.

uh isnt he head of talent r&d

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Wrestling is good.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

graph posted:

uh isnt he head of talent r&d

Impact does monthly tapings (I think) and AEW and Impact are besties now anyways.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
fudge i just realized Rampage is taped, feel like we'll probably not get a title change then, i was close to toxxing too lol

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
why did Hager randomly quote Brodie Lee in his promo?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Couldn’t watch live, watching now.

I keep forgetting this isn’t a PPV

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Orange Carlisle posted:

It'll be interesting to see how they setup the rematch with Kenny not wanting one

he has to wrestle a thousand guys and move his way up the rankings to get to #1 and then kenny can stop ducking him.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Lid posted:

why did Hager randomly quote Brodie Lee in his promo?

Rochester show coming up soon?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

karmicknight posted:

Rochester show coming up soon?

maybe but it came out of nowhere, the match isn't at Rochester, and just did they ever even interact? Was just bizarre. Also doesn't help Hager has negative charisma.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

Rewatching Danielson vs Omega and I have to say it's wonderful seeing how these two men aren't afraid to take it slow and let the story escalate as the match continues. It doesn't have the emotional weight of Danielson's ROH matches or Omega's Japan work but it's a perfect showcase of two of the best giving a tease of what's coming.

Hangman has to beat Kenny but I would love the next stage of this program is Danielson with the belt.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
Really amazing that Danielson's first match off WWE was a 5 star match to a time limit draw, with "only" a couple big spots and yeah, that slow short term story telling.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

any time is a good time to quote brodie lee

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Best wrestling tv show ever? I'll answer.
Yes.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Should Danielson do entrances in his old American Dragon March akin to Moriarty?

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

remusclaw posted:

Best wrestling tv show ever? I'll answer.
Yes.

Funny way to spell "Brodie Lee Tribute Show".

Still great show though.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

luchadornado posted:

Still great show though.

Yeah but at least this one was fun and not sad.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

In addition to Danielson/Omega being awesome, gotta say I loved everything about the Codyverse tonight. Top tier content and I hope Cody embraces the lore and lets the mist overcome him. Felt like him stopping to acknowledge the boos he was getting will play into future Codyverse shenanigans.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Dimebags Brain posted:

In addition to Danielson/Omega being awesome, gotta say I loved everything about the Codyverse tonight. Top tier content and I hope Cody embraces the lore and lets the mist overcome him. Felt like him stopping to acknowledge the boos he was getting will play into future Codyverse shenanigans.

I started getting into Cody with his Doctor Doom Disfigured gimmick so I am fully down for him playing with the growing corruption.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Just caught up on the recording of Dynamite after wrapping up dinner with friends, super good show

JT Jag fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Sep 23, 2021

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Dimebags Brain posted:

AEW's long term storytelling is agonizingly good, all of Cody's Codyness was in effect tonight, being too amped, being distracted by outside the ring poo poo, about to haul off on a ref, then black steals the win with demon mist and strikes a blow to the core of the hero babyface dynamic, mid arc, and grins evilly on the ramp like Tyler Durden after he bled on that mob boss' face because he knows he's planted the seed of destruction

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

luchadornado posted:

Still great show though.

I really can't argue with that. But goddamn what a great time to be a fan of pro wrestling.

I mean even with NJPW being a little rough lately, I saw my two favorite matches of the year so far between tonight and day 1 of the G1.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
just finished watching the show. great stuff. aew babey.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'm looking back at the Cody/Black match to figure out what happened with Arn. The referee didn't get up to go to him on the apron like he would with a normal distraction finish, so Arn was either out of position or jumped the gun on the spot, or both. Then he tried to scoot around the post to be on a different side of the ring instead of jumping down, but fell on his rear end instead. It looks like they pulled off the planned spot after that, but Arn had to perform a Vaudeville-level farce first.

punchdaily
Nov 8, 2010
I missed the opening of Danielson/Omega so I missed the absolute smugness radiating off of Excalibur when he said "You can hear that New York City is AEW Country!"

And I missed "I've got til FIVE" so loving much.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Seams posted:

just finished watching the show. great stuff. aew babey.

Same

Omega/Danielson was awesome and ended correctly

Punk promo was meh

MJF/Pillman Jr. was fine

I'm not sure why Sting won over FTR. I was fully expecting him to eat a pin but whatever the match was really good.

Malakai Black is now my favorite AEW wrestler after the Muta mist. He was already in my top 5 but now he is my #1. I'm a sucker for the dark evil black metal teleporting tattoo type wrestlers but adding Muta mist to the mix just makes it perfect. I loved that match.

I'm glad the Women's title was the main event and I'm glad Britt retained but I didn't like the finish. Britt should not need goons to win. I feel like it makes her look weak. She made Ruby look really strong and they could have done a better finish with Britt still retaining. However it was a really good setup for a long-term thing with Ruby. I think most of us are pretty sure Thunder Rosa will eventually beat Britt for the title but then Ruby can come in at some point and maybe beat Rosa because they can call back to the finish of the battle royale.

Overall amazing show and as someone else said I kept forgetting it wasn't a PPV

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

A storm knocked out our internet and cable so until it’s back up I can’t watch Dynamite OR Wanted. :negative:

This is the worst night ever.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
Only thing I didn't like about the Malakai match was Brandi sitting in the ring. It's like shoo! Go away this story isn't about you. It's like when your younger sibling tries to jump into something you're doing with your friends.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Elephant Ambush posted:

I'm glad the Women's title was the main event and I'm glad Britt retained but I didn't like the finish. Britt should not need goons to win.

Uh, Dr Baker's entire deal is that she big time needs goons. So much that she now has two of the thang dings.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

loving great show!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Elephant Ambush posted:

I'm glad the Women's title was the main event and I'm glad Britt retained but I didn't like the finish. Britt should not need goons to win. I feel like it makes her look weak. She made Ruby look really strong and they could have done a better finish with Britt still retaining.

Seriously? That's been her gimmick since she turned heel. She's always needed goons to win. It was obvious

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
it's crazy what a superstar Britt is, the pops for her are like she's the #2 or 3 person in the company, which is wild when you look at the roster

she keeps getting better in the ring too

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

karmicknight posted:

Uh, Dr Baker's entire deal is that she big time needs goons. So much that she now has two of the thang dings.

No she doesn't. She beat Shida, the longest reigning AEW champ of all, clean with no goons. I get that Britt is supposed to be a heel but heels shouldn't always stoop to cheating or goons to retain titles.

I suppose they could do a long-term thing with this though. The story can be that Britt got a big head after beating Shida, she got goons to inflate her ego and protect her, and she got careless by relying on goons which will then allow to be more easily beaten by Rosa or whoever eventually beats her. It's gotta be Rosa though.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Elephant Ambush posted:

No she doesn't. She beat Shida, the longest reigning AEW champ of all, clean with no goons. I get that Britt is supposed to be a heel but heels shouldn't always stoop to cheating or goons to retain titles.

I suppose they could do a long-term thing with this though. The story can be that Britt got a big head after beating Shida, she got goons to inflate her ego and protect her, and she got careless by relying on goons which will then allow to be more easily beaten by Rosa or whoever eventually beats her. It's gotta be Rosa though.

Reba interfered in the Shida match

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Now THAT was a good show to bring people over to watch. Everyone was blown away and just pumped.

Quick show thoughts:

MJF vs BPJ - really good. MJF always brings the goods and is just the best heel. BPJ looked good as the old school face. Good match though I felt bad for it coming after the opener.

Black vs Cody - I’m really happy Black is catching on with others and not just me. People booing Cody and him giving that confused look of “But I’m the good guy here. He is literally stalking and hurting my family!” That made me laugh so hard. Black mist is awesome but I kinda wish Black would seem to relish Cody hurting him. Only rough spot was the Arn moments but it’s all good.

Sting/ Darby vs FTR - lots of fun and Sting is just the best Wrestledad. Everyone in this match looked good.

Soho vs Britt Baker DMD - I thought it was good and Soho looked great for not wrestling for a few years. She’ll get there and glad the crowd loves her. Doc Britt has come so far from those first AEW shows. I remember she used to be kinda wwe awful but she, in my opinion, has become a drat fine wrestler and champion. She is still incredibly over with the crowd and gets people to care about women wrestling so that’s a bonus. Thunder Rosa and Ruby are great additions to the roster and feels like good times coming ahead. Don’t mind the protected loss as it didn’t feel like quite time but I do want Ruby to get some gold and feud with Thunder Rosa.

NutritiousSnack posted:

Really amazing that Danielson's first match off WWE was a 5 star match to a time limit draw, with "only" a couple big spots and yeah, that slow short term story telling.

That was almost perfect honestly. Loved the slow start and I’m guessing some of the Danielson beat downs were PIP moments on TV. Plenty of places left for rematches but for a first match between legends (since aeons ago), really can’t imagine a better one. I’ve been wanting this for years and specially asked for this before Cody did All In. God I wish I could find that old post where I mentioned dreaming about Punk and The American Dragon fighting with the Bucks and Omega and here we are years later. Good times.

If anyone does go back and look through my old posts please ignore the one from 12 years ago or more where I said Omega was bland and overrated. Also ignore my irritation with early him in NJPW. I’m sorry - I didn’t know better at the time. Forgive me sempai Omega!

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Sep 23, 2021

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Pylons posted:

Reba interfered in the Shida match

She distracted Shida once which didn't matter and then when Reba tried to hit Shida with the crutch she hit Britt instead and Britt still won. Reba was not key to the victory because she got ejected after her interference.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Elephant Ambush posted:

She distracted Shida once which didn't matter and then when Reba tried to hit Shida with the crutch she hit Britt instead and Britt still won. Reba was not key to the victory because she got ejected after he interference.

If Reba hadn't distracted the ref Britt might've tapped to Shida's submission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Pylons posted:

If Reba hadn't distracted the ref Britt might've tapped to Shida's submission.

Not after kicking out of everything Shida threw at her. I literally just watched this match 2 days ago and I didn't like Reba's involvement but she very clearly was not the main reason Britt won. That was a very clean finish.

Hayter stunning Ruby was very obviously the reason Ruby lost tonight and I didn't like it. It's OK if other people disagree though :)