Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
if they really are going to have a second women's title debut then it makes sense why Shida has just been spinning her wheels on Dark looking badass this whole time, she could go full heel IC champ and start turning in bangers with the whole roster while we lazily drive to the Britt / Rosa factory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
Omega/Danielson II should be them fighting over a haunted doll

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Just because you didn't like Rebel's involvement in the match doesn't mean that there isn't a big part of the structure of how Dr. Baker wrestlers involves "has goons who interfere"

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

A great show from top to bottom. I'm so glad we all are here for this.

Things have been a drag lately, I gotta buddy with Covid, I wont be able to see my brother get married but yet we all still get to enjoy wrestling together, separately.

hurrah wrestling!

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

smarxist posted:

if they really are going to have a second women's title debut then it makes sense why Shida has just been spinning her wheels on Dark looking badass this whole time, she could go full heel IC champ and start turning in bangers with the whole roster while we lazily drive to the Britt / Rosa factory

What about Riho and Nyla and Jade and all the other big name women? I don't want any of them getting left behind.

karmicknight posted:

Just because you didn't like Rebel's involvement in the match doesn't mean that there isn't a big part of the structure of how Dr. Baker wrestlers involves "has goons who interfere"

Reba got ejected half way through the match. Britt did not need her to win. That was the whole point of the ejection.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Elephant Ambush posted:

What about Riho and Nyla and Jade and all the other big name women? I don't want any of them getting left behind.

4 hours of wrestling on TV this week and only two women's matches is kinda annoying, the division is ready for a breakout and shine time imo and they've gotta give them the TV time

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

I fully get folks' resistance to Brandi's part in the Cody/Malachai match, but knowing she's dealing with PPD and getting out there and being fabulous in entrance and flipping off the satanist heel made me feel good because it meant she was making an effort to get out there and not wallow. As someone who struggles with depression in general it felt good to see her pushing past the misery.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Renaissance Spam posted:

I fully get folks' resistance to Brandi's part in the Cody/Malachai match, but knowing she's dealing with PPD and getting out there and being fabulous in entrance and flipping off the satanist heel made me feel good because it meant she was making an effort to get out there and not wallow. As someone who struggles with depression in general it felt good to see her pushing past the misery.

I misread this at first and thought there was some vlog angle involving her and Peter Avalon.

Also Malachai Black is cool as gently caress. His entrance loving owns, his look is great (yay the Muay Thai shorts are back), all of his offense looks fantastic, and he’s even got the mist! The mist is always great!

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

cody will win next time

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

STONE COLD 64 posted:

cody will win next time

i hope cody never wins another match

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i thought the brandi spot was really funny lol

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/ed1tvideobot/st...4widget%3DTweet

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Alaois posted:

i thought the brandi spot was really funny lol
Yeah I liked it too, didn't he just laugh it off? Oh no the sanctity of the pose, wobble wobble wobble

Brandi owns

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Spiderdrake posted:

Yeah I liked it too, didn't he just laugh it off? Oh no the sanctity of the pose, wobble wobble wobble

Brandi owns

yeah he laughed and showed off those beautiful chompers

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

godamn what a good show. probably the best wrestling show ive been to. aew ftw.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

My favorite Brandi bit was when Arn yelled at Cody to stop wasting time checking on him and get back in the ring, Brandi put her hands up like,"Oooh poo poo I ain't getting involved in this" :allears:

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Well, that was fun for my first live wrestling event in mumble years. Five hours was a bit taxing, though, even if the matches were terrific (and they were).

I am kinda disappointed Ruby didn't win. I think she'd be a more interesting champion than Britt, and I think AEW could use another face champion besides the Luchas.

You folks have a great Rampage to look forward to on Friday, too.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Spiderdrake posted:

Brandi owns

i liked how cody tried to sneak an attack on cody from it and black just totally saw it coming and put cody in a sick hold instead.

im a huge mark for tommy end and a known cody hater and gently caress yall i gotta say they booked that match in a way that i really really loved from beginning to end. loving black mist god yes thank you my little tajiri loving heart. if they just go with it and turn cody heel i'll be the happiest camper on dipshit mountain because i'm way into cody as a heel and just absolutely am not into cody as a face. and im going to cheer malakai black until he's having literal blood sacrifice rituals on tnt so yeah just make him a vicious badass face like pac or whatever

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

the crowd kept booing cody and it was hilarious seeing him react to it. also i was up in the nosebleed seats and the big screen above the ring cut out for the jericho match and there was a WE CANT SEE and FIX THE SCREEN chant going lol

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
I feel like AEW Heels may be more successful now than it was previously. It was a very half baked idea but they have something there they can tap into via Rhodes to the Top. Don't know how to do it but there is something.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Dynathoughts

Dang, look at all those people.

1) Kenny Omega vs Bryan Danielson. And they're starting with this? Wow. Bryan's poo poo eating grin is a thing of beauty. First Bryan kick is devastating. Kenny is Bugs Bunnying around and Danielson is punishing him for it. The look on Bryan's face is incredible. He's through the euphoria and into murder mode. "instant classic" gets overused, but these two fit together so beautifully as foes. Absolutely PERFECT Cattle Mutilation. Danielson is getting ALL his poo poo in. Amazing running v trigger. Danielson's chest looks like a butcher's table. The grappling in this match is as good as the striking. Oh gently caress my life, that avalanche belly to back suplex. AVALANCHE loving DRAGON SUPLEX WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU? this match is astounding. OWA setup into poisonrana is perfect. Empty pool phoenix splash. Danielson nearly kicks Omega's head off. They can't be going for... Of course they are. Of COURSE they are. Time limit draw and they have to drag Bryan off Kenny. The crowd aren't happy, but honestly this is a perfectly good way to square this circle. WHAT a match!

Punk out with an unintentional slam on the indies by saying it's been a long time since there's been wrestling in NYC. Retroactively Punk makes him vs Hobbs on a short build meaningful.

2) MJF vs Bryan Pillman Jr. LED scarf ramp is great.. They get into this quick and it's a bit of a cooler match after Danielson / Omega. It's pretty good. Pillman isn't a bad wrestler, and MJF is the best character guy in the business right now. They can't compete move for move with the previous match, but they get the crowd back. MJF wins, as he was always going to, but this is fine.

Chris Jericho says words about Dan Lambert.

3) Malakai Black vs Cody Rhodes. Adrenaline in my soul. Something something Cody Rhodes. Coming out looking like Evel Kinevel. Brandi looks good. This is a very solid Cody Match. Couple of Flying Nothings that get intercepted, but that's fine. There's a kick spot I just don't understand. Malakai as murderer is great here. Malakai kicks out of the Cross Rhodes, as is right and proper. Cody accidentally hits Arn. Cody is hot and trying to walk it off, which is nicely done. Black spits black mist, then rolls Cody up. Awesome.

4) FTR vs Sting and Darby. FTR in nWo gear. Honestly it is REMARKABLE the shape Sting is in for his age. This is a delightful cheating rear end in a top hat tag match. Nice corner chair fake out. Correct result.

5) Britt Baker vs Ruby Soho. Love that this is main eventing. Nice dynamic start. Good work on the outside. This is solid, has good Big Match Feel, and most of Ruby's rust is gone. Ruby grabbing an ankle in midair was great. Oh what the gently caress? That avalanche Air Raid Crash was ridiculous. Ending is a bit sloppy and I kind of wanted a Ruby win, but this was decent.

Hell of a show, including one of the best TV matches I've ever seen.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Just got home from the show (we left halfway thru Rampage Bc we both work tomorrow).

Unreal show. Unreal energy. Danielson/Omega was probably the best match I’ve ever seen live, and yet there was still so much they both could do.

The arena was so loud at times tonight it HURT. Deafening. Applause sounded like thunderstorms.

Edit: also it was the biggest lol in the world that not a single person in that 20,000 person audience was cheering Cody Rhodes. We were cracking up. You woulda believed Malakai Black is the world’s biggest babyface. NEW YORK loving CITY

Conrad_Birdie fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Sep 23, 2021

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Thought I was going to be able to sleep after that show.

Was wrong. Watching Kenny/American Dragon again.

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
i have a question. Is the V-Trigger just kenny kneeing a guy in the head as hard as he can?

There's no move in wrestling that makes me wince more and I love it. Also I feel like as the match goes his opponent flinches more and more because.... they don't want to get kneed in the head

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

shiksa posted:

i liked how cody tried to sneak an attack on cody from it

drat, guy can't trust anyone.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

dodgeblan posted:

i have a question. Is the V-Trigger just kenny kneeing a guy in the head as hard as he can?

There's no move in wrestling that makes me wince more and I love it. Also I feel like as the match goes his opponent flinches more and more because.... they don't want to get kneed in the head

most v trigger setups leave the person taking it room to actually keep their head from getting blasted (on the side of the ring by the ropes, the in the corner one theyre usually obscured enough so it looks like theres contact, etc) but like, i mean hes definitely accidentally blasted dudes, i think evil in a g1 a few years back was a bad one

Lamuella posted:

drat, guy can't trust anyone.

the ultimate conclusion to the codyverse is somehow booking a cody v nega-cody feud

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Realtalk, as someone live who booed the ending, I only did it because how can you see it and not want them to fight forever? Sometimes it makes me sad that there isn't, like, a kayfabe boo and real world boo that can be told apart, because dear god that was an odyssey of a match and I'm excited for what comes next. Hopefully the TV crew picks up how much everyone there adored the match, and also the rest of the show.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Poison mist is one of the best things in wrestling, right up there with refs ejecting heels from ringside and taking off one tshirt to reveal a different tshirt

Signor
Oct 10, 2005
Huzzah!
As someone at the show, the Kenny/Danielson match was so good and so engrossing that I had no idea it went thirty minutes so when the bell rang it was a genuine surprise. We booed because we didn’t want it to end. Only after looking at my phone so I realize they gave it thirty.

Also everyone in that building hated Cody as soon as the cape was revealed.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
Fun show. Love wrestling. Can’t wait for it to be safe to go to local indies again.

Dekk
Aug 31, 2001
Went to the show. Tired now. Good show.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Everything Cody has done in the Malakai feud has been great, including losing twice and getting booed. I will tolerate no criticism of him

Non spoilers Rampage trip report: Pretty sure Adam Cole is the most over guy in the company? Wrestling dorks really love that lil fella

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
cody is amazing lol.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

xbilkis posted:

Everything Cody has done in the Malakai feud has been great, including losing twice and getting booed. I will tolerate no criticism of him

Non spoilers Rampage trip report: Pretty sure Adam Cole is the most over guy in the company? Wrestling dorks really love that lil fella

i know by the time everyone was leaving the prudential center, i never wanted to hear anyone call out "ADAM COLE" waiting for a "BAY BAY" ever again lol

Fresh Like Zafo
May 31, 2012

I'm currently sitting on a delayed train, and my voice is quite shot from all the cheering I did. This was an absolute amazing show, and I can't believe I was at AEW's first NYC show. Those four hours flew by.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

lol finally got back to my hotel. trains were a nightmare. omega vs bryan is the best match i've ever seen live. there were a lot of wwe fans there (didnt know any of the AEW originals like jungle boy or luchasaurus) and the ones sitting around me were fully invested by the end of the show.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Really impressed by the Starby/FTR match, Stinger is really showing up.

Is the Pinnacle just not a thing anymore? Funny how MJF gets wins but FTR / Spears don’t and you never see them all together.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
first cattle mutilation in a decade

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

DogsInSpace! posted:

If anyone does go back and look through my old posts please ignore the one from 12 years ago or more where I said Omega was bland and overrated. Also ignore my irritation with early him in NJPW. I’m sorry - I didn’t know better at the time. Forgive me sempai Omega!

I think, unironically, he can slide into the Typical John Cena match, but Indie occasionally, so you are forgiven.

Ratings/Short Review:

Omega vs Bryan ***** and 1/4

I think the Thunder Rosa vs Britt Baker Lights Out match acts as the second place trophy here, so Kudos AEW for dominating this category, but best free television match ever. I think with TNT specials next year and such a stacked roster, it could very well lose that spot, but I'm betting it won't for years. I said it before, and I'll say it again here, Bryan Danielson left the WWE Sports Entertainment Style for the past 11 loving years, and seamlessly transitioned into told a slow-paced, story-driven yet highly athletic match, pulling out a few big sequences and moves here and there. He is a wrestling loving prodigy and I have zero doubt he's taking back his award or 'at the least' going to get Wrestler of the Year next year in PWI and Observer. Not going to ding at Omega's performance, he did just as well and again masterfully doing a type of match he doesn't do very often.

They also did so with a Time Draw ending!!!

Outside showing that pacing yourself and going deliberately can in fact make 20+ thousand people at the edge of their seat, they also proved they can go different, interesting ways with it by not having the 1-2...TIME LIMIT HAS BEEN REACHED! (which in of itself is cool and fine). I remember Dave and Bryan arguing how to end this type of match without Danielson or Omega looking like chumps. Well this is how; they feel like titans of the sport.

MJF vs Bryan Pillman Jr ** 2/3

MJF is a great heel and can go, even if he's nothing special in the ring. Pillman Jr is still a little green, but can go and is getting better. Normally this would be three stars but lmao following loving Omega vs Bryan

Malakai Black vs Cody Rhodes *** 1/2

I didn't mind the Brandi vs Black stare down at all; Black has been putting her family out on their back for the past couple months. The entire point here is that the Rhodes family has had enough! What can I say, Cody is great but his shitick is old but things feel like he's making a heel turn here, with Arn Anderson and him throwing the ref. Black again is awesome in the ring, magnetic at any aspect of being a story-teller, and his a cool rear end gimmick and look. Lot of DRAMA in this, again, but given how much Black utilizes LORE and that this is a CODY match you just have to accept it. Black and Cody pulled out cool moves, including a MIST ending!

I suppose there will be one more match or something to show if Cody actually went heel or not, but I say end it! Let Satanist Black feud with The Redeemer Miro until Full Gear and let Cody have story times with someone else. This isn't a dig on either of them, but any more than this is just wasting Malakai and the momentum he's gotten from owning the Rhodes family. It's time for Kingston and Black to trade promo packages where Black goes on rambling scary stories and Eddie going "Holmes, I'm going to rip off your nuts, gouge out your eyes, and sew them where your balls used to be so you can watch me as I stomp my boot into your rear end. I ain't afraid of no devil, God is my enemy!" now. Time to rap it up!

Darby & Sting vs FTR ****

Holy poo poo the Stinger could still go! Nothing to add here other than FTR are a master tag team (want to see them fight the Lucha Bros again for the title). Darby does cool poo poo, that makes me worry for his health. Holy poo poo the Stringer can still go. Like MJF vs Pillman, a very old school, heat wise anyway, built and executed mini feud that went off perfectly and left everyone happy. Tony Khan needs to take a bow for just setting this whole thing up in a couple of weeks to fill out this super card. Holy poo poo the Stinger could still go!

Baker vs Ruby *** 1/3

Bad finish, Baker is a little sloppy in parts and Ruby is still making WWE strikes, though she'll outgrow it like every other ex- WWE guy not named Bryan Danielson or Black. Not much to say other than I understand Khan not wanting to hot-shot the belt and make Ruby strong, but I think there are better ways to do it. Still a SOLID rear end match. But Baker has done better and Ruby is going to have a gold mine of matches in her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Basic Chunnel posted:

Really impressed by the Starby/FTR match, Stinger is really showing up.

Is the Pinnacle just not a thing anymore? Funny how MJF gets wins but FTR / Spears don’t and you never see them all together.

I feel like if MJF needs to get poo poo done, he might try to bribe them onto his side again. But it definitely seems like Tully's boys and the MJF-Wardlow duo have parted for the time being.