Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

change your phone auto-lock from the absurd 30 second default to a very good 2 minutes. doesn't even affect battery life that much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

i had some more but I forgot them

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

use ctrl-r in bash to search your history instead of banging the up key like an idiot
or even install mcfly to achieve the same thing but with more context https://github.com/cantino/mcfly

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
have access to a flosser, nail clippers, and cortisone on you at all times, OP

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
make your maid clean out your keyboard instead of buying duster

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
eat your own jizz for free protein & nutrition

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

excellent health quality of life tips coming in but let's focus on computer

use authy instead of google authenticator because if you lose or break your phone losing google authenticator means you've just lost all those 2factor codes

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Dear my stepdads beer,

I'm a young buck, living high on the hog. Lately I've been having certain urges whenever I look at my HP Elitebook, that make me feel tingly like the first bite on a freshly harvested lemon.
Please, can you please tell me what's the best way to gently caress and cum in computer?

Sincerely,
Thirsty for Tech

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

my stepdads beer posted:

excellent health quality of life tips coming in but let's focus on computer

use authy instead of google authenticator because if you lose or break your phone losing google authenticator means you've just lost all those 2factor codes

a lot of PHONE tips coming from you so far.....

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
put your monitor on an arm so you can switch to tate mode

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Smythe posted:

eat your own jizz for free protein & nutrition

you can also jerk off at stoplights to refill your jizz supply

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
press shift 5 times to turn on sticky keys

there is, however, another way

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

turn on your monitor

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

there’s an app you can install that restores the ctrl-alt-arrow key functionality that rotates the screen but I forget what it’s called

good for if you have a rotating monotor

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i like this thread idea :)
but everyone is makeing jokes :(

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
never write your real name on the internet, there are dangerous people out there

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

to improve quality of life simply unplug computer, place it in a drawer and leave it there

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Give your computer plenty of fluids and make sure its not too hot. Pay attention to when your computer develops a rash and call your nurse before it gwts too big.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
goldmine

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
switch to greenpos. it looks way cooler and lets everyone know you're a poster with refined taste

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

you should update your windows computer regularly, instead of pushing it off for weeks at a time and then complaining when it finally forces you to update because your PC is full of security holes

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

gently caress SNEEP posted:

you should update your windows computer regularly, instead of pushing it off for weeks at a time and then complaining when it finally forces you to update because your PC is full of security holes

What if I'm using a lovely OS that introduces security holes and bad defaults whenever it updates?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
my list of top computer tips

1.) don’t

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

get a split keyboard like a kinesis pro or edge. and the tenting kit and wrist pads. you will thank me later.

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
unix-filename-rubout

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08mGwpDUxTQ

filthy regex
Oct 1, 2010

s/ (. Y .) / 8==D~~ /g
when naming files, make sure you use a universal date format thats easily understandable by users in all countries and avoids confusion - YYMDDMYY

you can easily remember this with mnemonic "yum, dummy"

taco_fox
Dec 14, 2005

don't worry about memorizing absurd linux shortcuts to save .3 seconds. take it easy

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!

filthy regex posted:

when naming files, make sure you use a universal date format thats easily understandable by users in all countries and avoids confusion - YYMDDMYY

you can easily remember this with mnemonic "yum, dummy"

dont tempt the canadian government

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Zam Wesell posted:

a lot of PHONE tips coming from you so far.....

phone is small computer

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

you can use 'nextdns' on your iphone so you can block ads in safari

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
you can turn the computer both on and off at your convenience.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
hackers can turn your computer into a bomb (which is a good thing)

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
if your computer says something about grub or lilo when it starts up, that is a sign that your teen has been experimenting with linux and satanism

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

if your computer says something about grub or lilo when it starts up, that is a sign that your teen has been experimenting with linux and satanism

i fail to see the problem

about the satanism i mean the linux is obvious

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

you can mount your linuxes in your windows with this good and free tool
https://github.com/evsar3/sshfs-win-manager

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

quote:

Electron-based application

nope

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

instead of dealing with trying to find a kvm that works with modern displays, just use synergy

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

leave your CDROM drive open for a handy cup holder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

the easiest way to keep your mouse ball clean is to leave it in denture solution every night by your bed, along with your dentures