Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet
Sup, AI. Long Time lurker, very occasional poo poo poster, first time effort threading here.

I've been eyeing a 4WD JDM car for a while, and finally bought this boy-

https://www.vansfromjapan.com/sold-vehicle/toyota/hiace/100121/

1KZ-TE engine, AWD, more goofy rear end features than I could ever want, seems dope. Higher miles but I got it under what most of these go for, price-wise. Thought I'd make a short adventure of it and pick it up from Sacramento, CA, and drive to SLC, UT for fun.

everything looks good so far

haha ordering burritos, everything nominal

uh

UH

YEAH.

Two massive overheats, one weird cop interaction, and flat bed tow later, MonsterZero's family was kind enough to host the van at their house, so it sits there as I work out transport.

I will expound on what the gently caress happened later. It deserves its own post itt.

For now, though, a checklist (first good pass on what I think it needs, can't wait for these lists to grow :smith:):

REQUIRED AND URGENT MECHANICALS
Thermometer replacment
Radiator Cap replacment
Order Water Pump, clutch water pump tightly and sweat profusely (save it to replace if needed (it'll probably be needed. dammit.))
Flush baby poo poo coolant, replace
Head Gasket Diagnostic Test
Radiator Pressure Check (cry and order new radiator or get serviced, most likely)
get inspected from someone smarter than me
Repair Sliding Door Lock Panel (that poo poo was cracked, not messing with that)

DESIRED BUT NOT URGENT REPAIRS AND UPGRADES FOR GLORY
Replace Sliding Door lock motor, diagnose locking problems across car
Remove and repair front bumper
Repaint/repair body (Lexus pearl here I come)
Detail/refresh interior
Replace rear struts on hatch
Repair/Replace Steering Wheel Tilt and Telescoping Motors
Roof Rack

Goofy poo poo I Want To Do But Should Keep To Myself
Replace OEM Radio, Speakers

Travel Plans/Hopes/Desires/Dreams
Moab, UT and Telluride, CO (Drive through the LaSal Mountains)
Lake Tahoe, CA and Napa/Sonoma, CA (REVENGE FOR THE AGGRESSIVE COOLANT making GBS threads)
Rothbury/New Era, MI and possibly the Upper Peninsula
Bar Harbor, ME

I know this thing is going to be a ton of fun when I get poo poo straight on it, but oh man has this first stage been an experience.

Goals with this van are to make it the badass, goofy ski goat and road trip flagship it deserves to be. I'd like to keep things fairly unmodified, but we will see what it ends up looking like.

SapientCorvid fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Sep 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet
RESERVED FOR THE STORY OF THE CAR making GBS threads THE BED, THE COPS PULLING ME OVER, AND MONSTERZERO'S KINDNESS

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Add an EGT gauge to your ‘required’ list. Doesn’t have to be fancy.

I eagerly await the full poo poo storm write up.

Advent Horizon fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Sep 27, 2021

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

You might be adding “replace head” to that list of works…. Those 1KZ’s are notorious for cracking a head if you overheat them due to the alloy head/iron block different expansion rates.

My mother cracked a head between glow plug and precombustion cup on their 1KZ prado overheating it when the thermostat stuck shut. Only weakness in an otherwise rock solid engine

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet
Here’s hoping it doesn’t come to that- if it does, I am all in on doing it and learning a lot. Hence the head gasket test.

One fun thing to having the engine under the passenger seat- it’s really accessible and easy to get to, and the process of opening it up is hilarious

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet
It is on a trailer!

Picture for proof to come after work.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I have voted :five: and as someone who peer pressured McStephenson into starting a thread I am glad to be following along.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

This is the beginning of a great thread. :munch:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Please post/link to post of the story.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
Glad the van made it to you safely. ...And just a little sad they collected it quickly enough that my mom didn't have a chance to hide little plastic army men in every cubby and compartment.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

McStephenson posted:

Repaint/repair body (Lexus pearl here I come)

You'd better not change the fact this is 2-tone.

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet
HELLO.

Back from the dead with a short and depressing (or hilarious, depending on how you read it) update:

the precombustion chambers are all cracked in the head. pictures to come, but an alumni from my band (I'm a teacher) and I dug into the van, took the head off, cleaned the pistons and the head of the gasket material (all the rubberized covering was gone), I spied some cracks. had to stop there, which was sad given that we got all the way down to it on a new to me block in two long days.

Water Pump and Fan Clutch fluid have been replaced, as well as the thermostat. Glad we did the water pump: the resistance/play was not smooth, and a non intercooled turbo means new pump good pump. Did the fuel filter and air filter, too.

The head has been machined, but i'm in parts purgatory as i wait for the unobtanium that is OEM precombustion chambers. Partsouq has yielded 2x, and I have all the valve lifters, shims, washers, and just the other day got the valve seals. I ordered an aftermarket set from an aussie ebay seller (these parts are common to all 1KZ-TE, including the Hilux and Prado), and I'll be interested to compare them to the OEM precups I have now. I continue to scour parts websites to find the last two oem precups, so I am all ears for suggestions!

Plans in the immediate future (between now and the end of february):

Shotgun parts at the machinist to get the head completed/resurfaced/etc
Follow my old AUS 1kz-te service manual PDF to reassemble head with new headbolts
Oil change, new glow plugs
Test and try to not get PTSD about the engine making GBS threads on me
???
Profit.

Plans for the moderate future:
Maybe approach some of my goals from the OP
Body work/refresh paint
Look into W2A Intercoolers/ensure this van doesn't poo poo on me again
Look into/install sensors for Pyro, Transmission Temp, Coolant Temp
Get a picture of this loving thing at 10000 ft elevation.

Apologies for the lack of posting- I'm concurrently trying to unfuck this van, working on my doctorate, working a HS job, and raising a pandemic toddler. Pictures to come as I find a lazy way to host images! Any AI goons who know or enjoy 1KZs, I am all ears on advice!

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
thread title tag is accurate, this thing fucks HARD

sucks that it blew up, hope reassembly goes smoothly

Left Ventricle fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Feb 3, 2022

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Do you have part numbers, I don’t doubt you are having a hard time finding parts but nothing is unobtanium on a 1kzte. Search in Japanese, just use google translate I don’t know poo poo.

I don’t post anymore in Japan thread but I am so balls deep in HiAces it’s ridiculous. Just got this in today

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet
PICTURE TIME. Got off my rear end, dug through my photo record, and thought i'd provide visual proof to this thing kicking my rear end, as well as a general update-

Starting to dig down into the block- Exhaust manifold off as well as the turbo, which, with no intercooler, had obviously been through some... high temperatures.

Battle station, with the passenger seat up, the driver seat removed, and a cracked open laptop to check steps based on the engine manual multiple hours of searching trash websites yielded. Lemme know if you want a 1kz-te repair manual!

intake side- my former student told me everything is there for cruise control, but the computer to add it is in the thousands of dollars to buy, so i'll be skipping installing that, sadly. unless someone in AI knows what other cruise control modules would work here... heh

camshaft bearing caps look pretty good, given the miles and age this van has.

exhaust, turbo, and MOST OF THE HEAD BOLTS! (i bought new ones, so this was more to inspect how the block held up)

most of em look fine, but a couple of them were crusty. the one near the back was near cylinder 3...

head finally off! it took a bit to get the alternator belts off, but this was right after coming off the block and... i expected worse than we got!

old and new head gaskets. the new gasket has a ton of rubberized material that just... melted off the old gasket.

Timing belt and alternator belts. looked good! which is good, given the timing belt hadn't been replaced too long ago.

new water pump on. lookin mintyyyyy. the old pump didn't have near the resistance the new part had, and given how much coolant needs to circulate through two radiators, i'm glad we replaced it.

camshaft! also minty, at least to these greenhorn eyes.

cylinder... 1? the bore and each piston honestly look fine, no cracks, not drowning in coolant.

excited and tired dutch angle of the block right after taking the head off. check out some of those crusty ports! (my pops suspects that crummy headgasket repair was pumped into the block right before the PO gave up on the van...)

aaaaaand here is where we ground to a halt. this is precup 1.

precup 2. :smith:

precup 3. :smith::smith::smith:

PRECUP 4 :unsmigghh:

it has been long enough that i can't perfectly remember if this is all 4, but they are all totally borked. my former student and I stopped here, and a couple of days later, i sent the block to a machine shop. got lucky and had one old graybeard who wasn't a total chud (everyone in the shop did the "what the gently caress is this weird rear end thing" and gave me a bit of the business), and ran by to check out the head after getting cleaned and inspected:

:toot: it looks great!

:negative: BUT THIS DOESN'T.

So here it sits! Machinist said everything looks fine/able to be used again, except for the precombustion chambers.

SO OF COURSE I FIRED A PARTS CANNON AT IT

mmm, CUPS

these look great- TOO BAD THERE'S ONLY TWO OF THEM :smithicide:

it's fine. the others are on the way.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

You'd better not change the fact this is 2-tone.

oh, why would i ever! i have a few plans running around in my head regarding body/paint:
Plan 1: get body treated, refresh OEM paint using JDM paint codes (pearl and gold mica), take off decals (sadly, a power washer wrecked multiple decals and they're borked), replace badging where possible
Plan 2: get body treated, refresh OEM paint, replace with old new stock decals to spec (this would be... expensive. like, 1100 USD expensive)
Plan 3: get body treated, refresh OEM paint, take meticulous records of current decals, work with sticker printer to make new set of decals (this would also probably be expensive)
Plan 4: get body treated and repaint with two tone silver and darker silver (using toyota paint codes and messing around with combinations), go rad with decals and make *a space wagon*

We will see where we land in a month or so- obviously, mechanics come first.

everdave posted:

Do you have part numbers, I don’t doubt you are having a hard time finding parts but nothing is unobtanium on a 1kzte.

I do have parts numbers, luckily- digging around through PartSouq, Megazip, Amayama, and looking at AUS ebay has taught me a lot. I currently have a set of aftermarket OZ precombustion chambers doing the last mile to get here, and i ordered the last 2x OEM precombustion chambers PartSouq and Megazip had in stock.

and it will be useful to have two sets, because...

TREKKING THROUGH THE WILDERNESS BRINGS ME CLOSER TO NATURE. As does owning two imports?

more to come!

EDIT: scratching around to find paint codes and looking at the data plate gave me this:
COLOR CODE 27W

27W splits into 042 and 4M3
042 is “white pearl”
4M3 is “light beige metallic”

SapientCorvid fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Feb 22, 2022

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Good stuff so far, way to fire the parts cannon :v:

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Sweet update!!

I always get asked when I’m selling a diesel HiAce camper if it has cruise control which none of mine has ever had. Very interesting that it might have the capability there already!

Awesome looking Prado too!!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

I thought that looked eerily familiar..

At least you didnt also find these ones...

My advice would be to get the injectors overhauled while you've got them out too- If they arent firing a good pattern they'll dribble or jet fuel and cause hot spots on your new chambers and crack them again, plus it makes them run so much nicer. Also new glow plugs- 1KZ's are a DOG to start without all 4 glow plugs working perfectly.

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet

Ferremit posted:

My advice would be to get the injectors overhauled while you've got them out too- If they arent firing a good pattern they'll dribble or jet fuel and cause hot spots on your new chambers and crack them again, plus it makes them run so much nicer. Also new glow plugs- 1KZ's are a DOG to start without all 4 glow plugs working perfectly.

This is useful! I have the injectors out and will get them serviced while I wait on the head.

Also, I’ll have pictures soon but I bought a set of AUS aftermarket precombustion chambers- have you ever used aftermarket for that part? They have some slight differences but I don’t know if that’s a big deal or not with these engines.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

McStephenson posted:

TREKKING THROUGH THE WILDERNESS BRINGS ME CLOSER TO NATURE. As does owning two imports?

more to come!

What a machine! I am glad that it has gone to someone that is going to love it and take it on many adventures! I am equally excited to see the HiAce have a proper drive done once it is buttoned back up.

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet
Sup. high schoolers graduated today, and so I can remember that I have a thread and can post. I'll have to swing back around to post more about the Prado and how it has been (the short version is good, but diesel is 5.50 a gallon right now, lol), but!

700 bucks to get the head dipped, valves reseated, and precombustion chambers lathed to fit (including having to take the knockpin out and back in to get it to fit). I am so glad it's just that, given how much everything so far has been a wallet destroyer. Quite a few parts (same part number as what partsouq says is the correct poem part number) have been different than what was on the car, which leads me to think that maybe there was a mid generation rework on some of the parts (the precombustion chambers, both aftermarket and oem, were too big to fit in the block. like, .0040 too big.

given how messed up it was before, i'm ecstatic. I'll be spending the next 3-4 days trying to get this put back together (with some of the alumni i've taught, possibly my BIL, and possibly Somewhat Heroic) and crossing my fingers that it runs well. more pictures of that as we go.

Oh, another small thing- was getting hosed with on the injectors (quoted as 225 USD to service EACH injector), and found an injector specific shop. They serviced all of them (they were slightly clogged) for 20 bucks. Nice to know I could get loving REAMED if i'm not careful. yay dirtbag shops

Future brain me is thinking about what Water to Air intercoolers will work with this setup. I've dug around aussie aftermarket websites and found a couple of decent looking hilux 1KZ options, and I might bug Cruiser Outfitters, a major aftermarket company headquartered in SLC, to see what they have to comparison shop. anyone who knows these things (Ferremit, i'm looking at you) that has suggestions on what would be good for the block, i'm all ears.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Head looks b a l l e r.

The poor spray pattern is likely what cracked the precups in the first place. Shop probably quoted you piezo/heui injector prices. That's way too costly for a poppet injector service.

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet
PROGRESS-

Head is on! Had SomewhatHeroic come out and help out (thank god, because i get analysis paralysis with this project/haven't been this deep in an engine by myself before)

its fun seeing the minty vs. the crusty-

SomewhatHeroic helped me add some parts back to the head, oil up the headbolts, and do the first pass on torquing down (29 ftlb), and we marked bolts for the olllll TORQUE TO YIELD! (two 90 degree turns). We did the first 90 turn, and called it a night at 11:30 or so. I should have grabbed a picture, but he brought the Surf he bought out, and we used both it and the Prado as engine bay comparisons to make sure we had things in the right place (we did, but still, lol at having maybe 3 of the... 10? 1kz engines in the state to stare at when needed).

We used my smaller breaker bar to do the first 90 degree turn, but with the headbolts being 12 point and the amount of force we were using to get the bolts torqued, tired hands and a ratchet drive converter to use the BIG BOY bar was the next move.

So obviously, an HF run the next morning occured:

PAY NO ATTENTION TO THE SWIVEL RATCHET IN THE BAG I ONLY GOT WHAT I NEEDED

I will say that getting a good set of ICON tools and not trying to bargain shop means my HF runs have gotten reasonable and smaller, thank god. initial investment is a bitch

After the run, i had my better half help me out with eyes and a little intro to wrenching, and got the last 90 degrees done:

(the paint marks, they are pointing 180 degrees from where they were before)

Glow plugs next!

MINTY CRUSTY ITCHY TASTY

Got the glow plugs in, torqued to spec, and the connector piece attached. grommets installed on the plugs, but for the record, one of the grommets was on that side bolt you see on the connector. I might put something on top of it or dig around specs to see if i need another grommet, digging around the parts in their bags yielded no 5th grommet. :goleft:

camshaft bearing caps torqued to spec. this one took longer than i thought, but taking time and evenly tightening down means i didn't gently caress anything up. i think. wooooooooo

So that's where it sits: next steps are installing the camshaft oil seal retainer, timing pulley, idler pulley, timing belt and timing belt tensioner, and then ??? profit. I'm hitting a big "oh cool i absolutely don't know how to do this and would rather be with someone who has done one before" moment, so it might sit here for a few more days until I have some help from my wrenching veteran band alumnus.

SO I OBVIOUSLY AM THINKING ABOUT UNNECESSARY CART BEFORE THE HORSE BULLSHIT

My better half and I are debating color schemes- we both like the idea of keeping the original two tone Toyota Pearl and Champagne Mica, but the decals have to be removed, sadly. so since we are not able to keep superior OEM minty dopeness with this van, we are letting ourselves get a little spicy.

Ideas:

1. Original paint (white pearl and champagne mica), keep any non messed up decals, and replace borked stripe decals with:

There are some other color schemes for this stripe option around, and we aren't super into the ADVENTURE ACE I'M A BIG BOY vibe, so rather than just TRD colors, we are debating stuff like Gold/Silver/Bronze/White like older toyota pickup decals.

2. Pearl up top, silver mica on the bottom. a little subtle, and i'd rather be a bit more fun, given the fact that this van has poo poo on me more than my son ever has

3. SPICY OPTION: Forest Service Mint Green with Champagne on the bottom, or Pearl on the Bottom! apologies for the goofy render as a reference:

other things to think about : Seat Safety Switch posted http://www.speedhunters.com/2022/06/three-impossibly-japanese-builds-from-the-mooneyes-street-car-nationals/ and i hit the :aaa: button hard in my brain:

SO SO COOL. This is an H50 hiace, and I love the stripe decal on this.

Open to opinions here! generally leaning towards original paint with some fun variation on the decals. The interior, poo poo out coolant aside, is in decent shape and won't be replaced, so something that is a) 90's as gently caress and b) goes with BROWN is where we are leaning.

More to come!

SapientCorvid fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jun 5, 2022

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
gradient decal is baller as gently caress

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

:fap:

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet
I'll post some photos tomorrow, but a ton of progress was made: head is on, camshaft cover and timing belt and timing belt cover are installed, valve cover is on, injection nozzles are installed, intake manifold is on. we are missing a few fasteners at this point, and i've been working all day/into the night.

Aiming for starting it up wednesday night! will have video either way.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

:hmmyes:

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
The people have spoken that gradient one is killer. I have an all white HiAce camper coming I may have to borrow that idea in some form for it

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
FYI, Mooneyes has a huge line of parts for the HiAce specifically, although I think most of them are for later machines. I didn't realize you had fallen so hard for that or I would've dug up more info, sorry. https://www.mooneyes.jp/product-list/474

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Seat Safety Switch posted:

FYI, Mooneyes has a huge line of parts for the HiAce specifically, although I think most of them are for later machines. I didn't realize you had fallen so hard for that or I would've dug up more info, sorry. https://www.mooneyes.jp/product-list/474

I’ll check the site out more but it looks
Like those are all 200 series parts - which is the modern version but makes it hard to find accessories and floor mats and such. Not impossible just harder I use Buyee app a lot