Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

This game is bad. Launch, however, will own, and I'm sure I'll get 1 playthrough out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Hughmoris posted:

They bungled the closed-beta from what I remember but if anyone has any chance at managing an initial burst of server loads, its Amazon.

Lol which makes it all the worse, their only game has been bungled so far.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

counterpoint: it's a terrible game, but new mmos at release are a spectacle and fun as hell even with horrific bugs and limited content

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Frustrated posted:

You'd think a company who specializes in web hosting and server farms would be able to put together a better product than this poo poo show. 2000 player caps on servers, no concurrent layering to get more people in, absurdly long que times on practically every server, what a giant cluster gently caress.

Also, whoever decided to make names global while also having staggered release times is a giant moron. Having to log into EU in the middle of the night to try and get a name reserved is such a stupid concept.

It's honestly like a 2006 MMO all over again. Every design decision of this game is just so hilariously archaic and stupid.

Hughmoris posted:

What, names are global? LOL

Yup lol

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Zotix posted:

They absolutely need to be doing random logouts with queue's this big.

Lol yeah right. This game was designed by an intern who loves MMOs from the early 2000s.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

lol this is such a shitshow

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Yo whichever goon is swiping guild names, like ours, you're a genuinely bad person.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm idling in game to have a hope in hell of playing this after work. Yes, I realize I'm part of the problem. No, I don't give a poo poo.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Discospawn posted:

The Steam reviews are already highly negative though, with a 50% recommended rating (which is continuing to drop).

That's because it's a bad game. But, any MMO at launch is fun due to the total chaos and dumpster fire.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Cutedge posted:

It's mid day in the US so yeah it will be interesting to see what their numbers hit come 6pm tonight. Especially if everyone is idling to not have to sit in queues. I'm sure someone is going to be scrambling to implement that today.

This is where you do "We are bringing the server down for unexpected maintenance in 1 hour, we do not expect the downtime to be more than 5 minutes" and then you just bounce the server. It's just pretty funny that they didn't think to put in idle kick

They didn't think of a lot of things with this game lol

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Hughmoris posted:

I would have thought they'd have an infrastructure blood pact (sponsored by AWS!) going on: "We may released the shittiest game in existence but it will be readily available the moment it launches. Since, you know, our company's bread and butter is scaling to meet demand."

That's because whoever designed this poo poo is a grognard who loves MMOs from 2006 with zero QoL stuff.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

fadam posted:

I'm going to unlock instances and find out there's no Dungeon Finder, aren't I?

Lol yup

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Anno posted:

All that stuff is unironically what I want in an MMO so I’m excited.

your brain is broken

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

totalnewbie posted:

What server did we end up on? Roy whatever?

It's in the OP. Depends on which region. NA West is Plancta.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Mega Comrade posted:

Haven't you bought this game?

gently caress

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Carmant posted:

Drive your car to another thread because your gimmick posting is annoying

What gimmick?? They're posting real legit criticisms of this bad game.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Carmant posted:

Dude has been posting the same poo poo over and over in every iteration of the New World thread. It's tiresome. You don't have to like the game, but at some point, like when you've realized that you hate it and have no interest in playing it, maybe you should move on with your life.

Or, you could not backseat mod and let people post about the game. Don't police other people's opinions. If you can't handle reading posts about a bad game, maybe stop reading the thread about a bad game.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Carmant posted:

You're right I probably got you confused with all of the other garbage MMO HMO posters that all sound the exact same and post with the same lovely affect. Like the Clam Down guy.

ahahahaha

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Keegers posted:

I need more launch day forum drama or company melt down. I think the previous record was with Eve echoes and that all went tits up in 6 days iirc.

That poster above sure is trying lol

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Awesome! posted:

so what does this game do really well? what are the main selling points beyond "its a new mmo"

It looks pretty and has open-world pvp. That's about it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

euphronius posted:

Is there a dungeon finder like FF14?

No dungeon finder. You have to stand there and scream LFG in chat.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

causticBeet posted:

Oh cool asmongold rolled on the server my friends and I were playing on very glad to see that the queues have quadrupled. Too bad no video game companies ever have come up with a way to manage game instances so that you don’t need such an aggressive hard cap on player counts.

Jesus Christ this should not be happening in a 2021 MMO.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The game hogs my PC's resources when it's idling at the queue so I can't even play other games while waiting. This is such a joke lol.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Meme Poker Party posted:

The default graphics setting is an uncapped framerate. If you haven't done so, changing it to 30 or 60 fps as appropriate for your hardware is a good idea. Yes this setting applies to menus lol. By default your computer will try to run that "your place in the queue is" screen at an astronomical frame rate.

Hogging your resources with an uncapped Queue Simulator frame rate by default lol.

Set mine to 60 and it's still hogging all resources. Genuinely taking 10x longer to even load a website in Chrome. Jfc.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

GoGoGadget posted:

People asking for instancing in this game to solve population issues don't understand what type of game this is, because that wouldn't work at all. The games central focus is PvP and territory control. That is incompatible with sharding.

Yeah as said you're completely wrong lol. This game desperately needs to be sharded/instanced like every good MMO out there. People cannot play because the non-instanced servers are capped at 2000 and there are thousands in queues. This will cause it to die.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Anno posted:

Out of curiosity where is the 2000 number coming from? I keep seeing it but couldn't find any reason why.

https://newworldstatus.com/

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

My game just froze/crashed after waiting in queue for an hour and I lost my place. I'm going outside.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

GoGoGadget posted:

Territory control and influence is also handled via PvP missions and stopping your opponents from finishing their PvP missions. Can't really do that if you're in different shards.

If only any other MMO had solved this problem before.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Aerox posted:

So, uh, I was looking forward to this but have been working all day and won’t be able to log on until late tonight or tomorrow.

My friends in another discord are already complaining that the people who got in early already have a huge advantage, bought all the good poo poo out the gate, and are just roaming in packs pubstomping everyone whose just logging in already.

Is that actually happening or are they being way overly dramatic.

They also have bought all the early zone towns.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Don't lose internet for even a few seconds while waiting in the queue. It'll kick you out and restart your queue. Lol

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

knox posted:

I saw the extremely low population cap announced before launch and thought it was a joke/would certainly be changed. Why is there a 2k person cap on each server?

Because the designers of this game last played an MMO in 2006.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

is this true because lol

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Hughmoris posted:

the west coast Placenta server to see if its any better.

700+ and hours long. I'm not expecting to play tonight.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Hughmoris posted:

Did they just take down all servers?

I hope so. I just had a brief home internet interruption and lost my place in queue, again. I give up.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

That doesn't prove anything. They're right. The cap is limited not by server power, but by terrible design.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Barreft posted:

I wasn't disagreeing. I said it wasn't AWS, it's using Lumberjack.

Lumberyard is AWS's game engine. All of these issues are entirely self-inflicted.

vvv lol deal, I'm confused anyways now

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Sep 29, 2021

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Anno posted:

The sixth highest concurrent user base on Steam ever. Who knows how much it cost to develop, but they have and will sell a ton of copies out of the gate. Hopefully they can support it.

You know all those people were sitting in the queue right? Lol

LegoMan posted:

Hah there were dudes in Starfleet Dental asking for donations and I gave like my pitiful 800 to help out I hope it wasn't the US-Est goon guild (I haven't been able to get in past the 900 queue)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LegoMan posted:

If a guild leader isn't skimming a little bit I don't trust them

you have no idea how much free poo poo i've gotten in gw2 :mrgw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lol