Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Will be joining US-East. If nothing else, just to experience the fun of a brand new MMO for a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Skyl3lazer posted:

While this is probably true, it wouldn't surprise me if the launch is butter smooth given, you know, AWS.

They bungled the closed-beta from what I remember but if anyone has any chance at managing an initial burst of server loads, its Amazon.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

a dingus posted:

But the open beta, which seemed like almost nothing but a stress test was pretty smooth. Granted, I didn't try and play during the first few hours but I did play that night without issue.

I agree, I was surprised at how smooth (queue times and crashes) were compared to the closed beta.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I haven't seen much on the game's economy. Is there an economy similar to WoW? Auction-houses, selling crap to vendors, selling crap to players etc?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

err posted:

Yes lots of crafting and gathering resources and the auction house is just like most MMOs

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Yes. The player economy is much more of a deal here though, since there's no vendors to sell your old junk to.

Thanks. I'm not too in to pvp griefing these days but fleecing our opponents and taking their lunch money could be fun.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Frustrated posted:

You'd think a company who specializes in web hosting and server farms would be able to put together a better product than this poo poo show. 2000 player caps on servers, no concurrent layering to get more people in, absurdly long que times on practically every server, what a giant cluster gently caress.

Also, whoever decided to make names global while also having staggered release times is a giant moron. Having to log into EU in the middle of the night to try and get a name reserved is such a stupid concept.

What, names are global? LOL

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I would have thought they'd have an infrastructure blood pact (sponsored by AWS!) going on: "We may released the shittiest game in existence but it will be readily available the moment it launches. Since, you know, our company's bread and butter is scaling to meet demand."

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Tempus Thales posted:

We bought Brightwood!!

Huzzuh! Can't we raise tax rates on public peasants to generate tears?

I hope to get on and play sometime tonight.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Barreft posted:

btw for those on the fence queue times are so long, and in steam at least they count towards your playtime. So don't expect a refund.

Kaddish posted:

Yeah I was in the loving queue for 5 hours

LOL. Amazon'd

I just checked out Goon-East, still a 2k queue. I guess I could check out the west coast Placenta server to see if its any better.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Everyone at AWS needs to commit sudoku for allowing this travesty to occur.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Did they just take down all servers?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Barreft posted:

Does it matter

Might be your chance to skip that 4 hour queue.

Hughmoris posted:

Everyone at AWS needs to commit sudoku for allowing this travesty to occur.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

LegoMan posted:

If a guild leader isn't skimming a little bit I don't trust them

Swearengen?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Well, our east coast Goon server only has a 450 person queue tonight. Progress.

In the meantime, it's taking 8 minutes to move 11 spaces on my backup server.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I'm rolling in US East - TumTum . Queue tonight is 10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
The secret is out on my 2nd server, TumTum, with a 640 person queue tonight.

So, on to my third server. Also, I really dislike the chat interface. I don't have lots of MMO experience but it seems hard to tell at a glance if the person speaking is next to you or halfway across the map.