Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

If I am a coward who does not like MMO PvP combat will this have enough fake dragons to fight to interest me or is this more about PvP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Hmm, okay, might try this out. Worst case scenario I play less than 2 hours and get a refund.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

On one hand a negative review when you can't even play the game makes sense.

On the other hand I'm pretty sure that writing a negative review for not being able to get into a popular MMO on launch day is kind of stupid.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Frist hour trip report: Game is funnish. The only minor annoyance is I was to use a musket immediately but I haven't even run into any iron ore for the shot. I was 25th in place to get into Plancta, took a couple of minutes. Writing is kind of dumb but I did like the intro cutscene. Character creator was pretty bare bones but okay for what it was (it not having any 'body type' locked options was a plus, but once again most hair styles were awful). Probably won't refund it unless something really bad happens in the next hour.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I'm in Starfleet Dental and as soon as the treasury hit the amount needed we bought a town. I can't say that the guild leader didn't skim a little off the top from pubbie donations, but at least he didn't scam any goons.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

That's impressive.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Several hours past refund date. Game is fun so far. Not sure I plan on paying any more for cosmetics or whatever, but for a buy to play game, it's decent enough (assuming you can play).

My current problem is my desire for maximum completion making me do the basic quests for every single starting town which is slightly dumb but whatever. Finally got enough iron and cloth to actually use musket.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I am very amused by the fact the 'We talked to a bunch of native groups we swear this isn't a bad colonialism game' popup shows up every time you log into the game.

Also the concept that people might want to group up with their friends in a MMO is, like, half the point of a MMO? I don't understand why people are so smug when people complain that they can't? It's a multiplayer game, even if it was fully open world PvP and the like people would still want to play with their friends.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Pigbottom posted:

Crafted ammo is also a decision that it's pretty hard to imagine coming from any game designer that played any mmo in the last 15 years.

Yeah, especially when you can't just buy it without someone else making it first and especially especially since one of the ammo types doesn't have a 'pick up stuff from the ground' option.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Barreft posted:

I'm still asking before I buy, what is the point of investing into leveling a character to max if I'm not in the top guilds?

What's the point of the game I'm basically asking.

PvP, primarily. There isn't much of a PvE end game so far beyond the two (?) max level expeditions.

I'm hearing rumors that there's 6 more expeditions announced for a later date, but that later date keeps changing, so it might just be hearsay.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

They do have an actual vision of the game!

It just changed at least twice.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The War is 50v50, and I believe the way it works is that the 'leaders' of the war (the person who declared it and the person who owns the city) get to choose 10 people and the other 40 are random from everyone who has signed up.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Keegers posted:

I noticed everyone keeps saying the magic weapons are boring, but those are the only weapons I've felt a connection with so far. How is kiting multiple mobs in ice boring. My favorite combo is using the ice field to trap them and switch to the flame staff where I flamethrower them away.

Maybe it's because I mained engi in gw2 but flamethrower fire staff is doing it for me in new world. I hope they add a curse staff or something that gives the user dark warlock like powers. I want to suck players *life* off

'Void gauntlets' were leaked in a dev screenshot, I believe.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

SFD is full, I believe, but there is an overflow guild. I believe it does not have controller support.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

2nd day in a row with no queue which is nice. My big problem now is how rare fae iron ore appears to be, especially with how many people are competing for iron ore.

Also slightly unamused at me checking a map and realizing that iron ore does not, in fact, spawn in the mines I was looking in. Annoying.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Oil! posted:

Have you been using luck food? During the open beta, that's what people swore helped a lot (rarely getting some instead of never).

I have not! I have not been getting the specific spice I need for the mining luck food. Good to know that matters.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

As someone who likes several different weapons with very different stat priorities, I too would like that. My current plan of 'shove everything into int and use gems' probably won't work as well as I want it too.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

There was nothing more ridiculous than having 20+ people in a single room waiting for a boss to respawn just spamming AoE skills on the mob location to be the first one to tag it.

Like seriously this is a solved problem for PvE quests.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

You get bonus rewards for the first 3 faction quests you complete per day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Amazon says the bans aren't automated and a human checks them, but I don't trust Bezos, so.