Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Hakarne posted:

To me this game is like if Guild Wars 2 and Conan Exiles had an illegitimate love child that was adopted and raised by a nouveau riche uncle. I love both of those games so it's extremely my jam but YMMV.
that's funny because i have an embarrassing amount of time in conan yet i barely made it to max level in GW2 before completely losing interest in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Meme Poker Party posted:

Number of servers: 264 (per counting them on the official website, all regions)

Player limit per server: 2,000

New World's global maximum population: 52,800

lol

some of those streamers could crush a server if only a fraction of their followers join them

lol

lmbo

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

barnold posted:

the PvE questing in this game is definitely kinda dogshit. I've enjoyed pretty much everything except actually trying to, you know, partake in the game's storyline.

"Explorers Needed" is a Level 7 quest. it takes you to Coffman's Redoubt, where every enemy is ~Level 25. like what the gently caress lol? at least I am level 15 and didn't immediately die, but this quest is just a gigantic "gently caress you" to lower level players who will spend all that time running out there just to get one-shotted
i feel like they broke something since the open beta because i never ran into that, but immediately did yesterday

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Lawlicaust posted:

This game absolutely feels like it was developed by a big tech company. Some individual pieces of the game feel really good and better than many other games out there. There is a complete lack of a cohesive experience and it feels like every team did their own thing.

Gathering is super satisfying. There are plentiful nodes to grind on for basic materials and a good hunt for rarer ones. The automatic tracking as you level is fantastic and a great quality of life feature. The gathering nodes and animations look and feel good.

Crafting is similar. Crafting a huge stack of items in one go without individual timers is a breath of fresh air compared to other games. Showing exactly how much xp you get us great as is being able to influence stats.

Combat feels good for the most part. It’s impactful and you can bring a lot of skill to it especially in PvE. Some of the weapons are a little shallow and lack good balance.

Zones are visually distinct, have interest by geography and can look beautiful at times. Some parts of the world feel too empty.

Leveling is utter dogshit. It’s going to take casual players months to hit cap and they will all likely burn out well before that. There are a lot of fun things to do in the game so they didn’t need to artificially drag out leveling so much. You could double xp from all sources and it would still be painfully slow especially after 20. There’s a lot of things that contribute to this but two main ones:

Travel sucks. Long recall cool downs, high fast travel costs at lower levels, no speed boost options outside of some limited weapons. This makes sense for PvP but makes PvE an even bigger grind. PvP quests already prevent recall and teleport unless you want to abandon them. There’s no reason there couldn’t be faster fast travel or mounts when not flagged.

Quests suck more. Boring, trivial to complete but 15 minutes of running to and fro. PvP quests are good xp and currency but will absolutely put you to sleep. PvE quests are worse. Pitiful rewards for a huge amount of time.

Outside of a bad leveling experience, the biggest issue that I run into every time I play is elevation. Every system in the game sucks when trying to deal with elevation difference. Many nodes can’t be used because of elevation differences. Attacks miss frequently because the enemy is a inch above or below you. Going down stairs is hilariously bad. Sometimes you can’t skin mobs because they died on a rock.

Enemies are a mixed bag. There are some very cool looking enemies with interesting mechanics and attack patterns. But enemy variety is very lacking overall. Lots of reused models and enemy types everywhere. Spawn rates vary between near instant and lol, you aren’t doing that quest.

Overall the game is a disjointed mess of systems that just don’t come together. There’s clearly no big picture vision, just a bunch of individual elements slammed together. Some of those systems are so good that they’ll keep me and others playing it. Some of those systems are so bad that they will eventually cause most people to quit.
Agreed with one exception: I don't think the four starter zones feel all that different so until I get to 25 it's all normal rear end forests and beaches to me. It's a magic island cut off from the rest of the world so why they didn't lean into that with some kind of Land of the Lost/Skull Island vibe of dense jungle with weird prehistoric beasts is beyond me. Still not super original, but at least more interesting than boars and wolves.

Travel time seems like a particularly egregious issue; when the best advice for a new player is to kill themselves after completing a quest so they can port to the nearest town, the devs should know that they messed up bad.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

CuddleCryptid posted:

I disagree with this. Yes it can be annoying, but the whole point of the campfire system is that you are supposed to be traveling to places and moving outward from towns, bringing a respawn point and crafting station with you. The quest design could work better if it wasn't town focused as a result, but putting mounts in or whatever would make the maps feel absolutely microscopic since each zone is actually not that large.
I didn't say anything about adding mounts and suiciding as a free fast travel back to town to turn in quests completely bypasses the campfire system anyway. How about they allow fast travel from campsites? That way players still need to hoof it back to their camp (or drop a new one outside of the POI exclusion area) and they're still eating the distance cost and probably not getting discounts either.