Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

8: Stuck in the Kitchen with You
When Bob volunteers to cook Thanksgiving dinner for a retirement home, Louise gets stuck helping him on his most intense cooking day of the year; Gene and Tina try to help Zeke entertain the residents.

I don't know why this episode was supposed to be about Bob learning a lesson, Louise was being a menace from the very start and she had to forgive him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Personally, I was happy the show came down on the side of parenthood trumping your personal or professional obsessions.

She was being an rear end because she's a kid. Bob didn't have to be an rear end right back. He's the adult, and his daughter should be more important than his ego.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Yeah, it's almost like being a parent loving sucks and anyone who does it is insane lol

Poor, poor Bob. Shoulda pulled out.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
9: FOMO You Didn't
Susmita offers to help Tina with a photography class assignment; a woman who used to live in the Belchers' apartment comes for a visit.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

SOLD.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
Man, these last couple of seasons have really hammered home that Tina really needs to stop hanging out with Tammy, Jocelyn, Zeke and Jimmy.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
What's wrong with Zeke?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Zeke treats her better than all those and half the time more than her own sister lol

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Yeah, aside from the first couple seasons or so, Zeke is one of the nicest kids on the show and he's always a booster.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Zeke pooped in public for Tina.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
Zeke is fine on his own, the problem is that he's also always hanging out with those three slack-jawed morons.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Beartaco posted:

I don't know why this episode was supposed to be about Bob learning a lesson, Louise was being a menace from the very start and she had to forgive him?

Yeah, I didn't get that either. Cooking thanksgiving dinner for one family is a challenge, and doing it for an entire retirement home is another thing entirely. Are we really supposed to feel Bob is 'Thankszilla' when Louise isn't taking anything seriously and messing up the timing?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Man, I am getting tired of Tammy. I know she got some comeuppance but she is still the worst.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
This show has really just become “The World Shits on Bob.”

Linda ducked out of work three times to help strangers who weren’t in need. Sure, it’s a nice sentiment. So is helping your husband at your shared sole source of income.

But yes, let’s all love wacky Linda, the Mayor of Zany-Town. gently caress outta here.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Linda is garbage.

I was really hoping that with all the moving of the furniture, something would get broken and Bob finally snaps. Hilarity ensues.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

muscles like this! posted:

Man, I am getting tired of Tammy. I know she got some comeuppance but she is still the worst.

It's the biggest problem I have with the show and what above all keeps it from being truly great. It's just too drat nice.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

KingKalamari posted:

Zeke is fine on his own, the problem is that he's also always hanging out with those three slack-jawed morons.

Umm, Jocelyn is brainy.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I lost it at Teddy eating the burger like a loving lunatic.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

PeterWeller posted:

Umm, Jocelyn is brainy.

Yeah no payoff on that. Still don't believe it

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I like Tina's terrible group of loser friends that she only hangs out with because it's school and what else is she going to do? I find that very true to life.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

LividLiquid posted:

Personally, I was happy the show came down on the side of parenthood trumping your personal or professional obsessions.

She was being an rear end because she's a kid. Bob didn't have to be an rear end right back. He's the adult, and his daughter should be more important than his ego.

I just never felt like there was a moment where Bob wasn't being sufficiently patient with her. She starts by overhead swinging a kitchen knife at a carrot!

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/MarlowNYC/status/1472038670219853825

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It’s like he ended up in a real life creepy peeper video skit.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
Hell, let Loren voice Jimmy Sr

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Are we sure he wasn't just really getting into character?

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'm surprised it took that long to ban him. It seemed like everyone knew it was him right away. There was a running gag on comedy bang bang this year that there was a mr show reunion at the insurrection.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Beartaco posted:

I just never felt like there was a moment where Bob wasn't being sufficiently patient with her. She starts by overhead swinging a kitchen knife at a carrot!

Yeah Louise was being a total brat but no consequences is consistent with the show. There's a list of characters that need a good slap in the face starting with Tammy and Gayle but will never get it. Even Bob was bringing meds to Jimmy Pesto when he hurt his back or whatever it was. It makes it hard to take a lot of the character arcs seriously when there's this underlying "nothing really matters, everyone loves everyone" theme.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Leave gayle alone, slap teddy

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost
10: Gene's Christmas Break
After Gene breaks his favorite, extremely rare '70s era Christmas record, Tina and Louise join him in the search for another copy; Teddy wants to do a neighbourhood Secret Santa with Bob and Linda.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
A nice, low stakes (except for Gene), Christmas episode.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I 100% agree with Bob on the Secret Santa thing. I really felt for him in this episode.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

does Gene have some actual brain problems?

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Yeah, I think I'm done with this show. As good as it used to be, every episode lately is Bob passively putting up with whatever awful thing his family is doing, to literally everyone's detriment, and I can't take it any more.

Yes, at the end, everyone learns a lesson and it's a happy ending, but Bob--buddy, you can put your foot down and say "no" once in a while, especially when it's driving your entire family (Linda included) insane, or at least tell the kid to put some headphones on.

I'm gonna skip out on whatever new episodes come out now and maybe check in on the thread to see if they've improved the writing of the family.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I lost the thread after the GhostBox Jeff episode because life, but that sounds like a return to the S1 form of "Life shits on Burger Bob"

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Lets face it, they're a hair way from being free range parents. And the one thing free range parents never realize is what a pestilence their children are to the rest of the world because in their eyes they're angels. It's like the parents that are oblivious to their kid throwing a tantrum in the restaurant.

The kids are funny but the whole "Bob's frustrated with X but doesn't realize he's the parent and does nothing about it" wears on you after a bit.

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Dec 21, 2021

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Mort’s secret Santa gift was really sweet and thoughtful, but I didn’t catch everyone’s gifts, what did Lin and Mike give as gifts?

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

ruddiger posted:

Mort’s secret Santa gift was really sweet and thoughtful, but I didn’t catch everyone’s gifts, what did Lin and Mike give as gifts?

Linda was terrible as always and just took the car in for a wash, though Bob seemed genuinely pleased with that, so what do I know.

Mike gave Linda stamps.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

punishedkissinger posted:

does Gene have some actual brain problems?

The family is... not the brightest. On the whole. And they're all a little crazy to boot

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
The biggest laugh from me was the conversation where Gene asks "Where you're going, heaven?" and Mr Tinselton replies "No, the 70s!" and for a brief second after the "No", I assumed it was implying Mr Tinselton was sent to hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Do you think this show would ever age up its characters? I think a lot of animated shows recently have moved away from the ageless family formula and now it feels to me like a relic from the Simpsons heyday.