Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
This is dumb and I'll update with pictures in a bit but I have completed a hammer handle for a hammer that's roughly 100 years old. Decided since it was such a unique piece it deserved a unique handle. I feel really great about the level of craftsmanship I brought to bare on this simple utilitarian object. It's given me the confidence to make a new handle for one of my high carbon kitchen knives that has always been awesome EXCEPT for the lovely handle. Already have it halfway done. Feeling loving good, goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
As promised, a hammer handle:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

sigher posted:

Hell yeah, look at this loving thing.

How does one go about making a handle?

It's pretty simple actually. I chose a nice piece of wood, in this case some holly I lumbered at the beginning of the year. I cut out the general shape of the handle on the bandsaw. After that files of various shapes and sizes are used to get it into the exact shape. From there I used a little metal wedge to connect the head to the handle and spent a few days sanding, buffing, finishing and repeating until it was polished.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
This, this I feel good about :