Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
bestiaries ftw. bestiaries with flavor text ftmfw. x-2 has a super sick bestiary too, it's always the little things in games that really make me want to pay attention.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

:hai:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
the all time greats: the ones that shipped with the NES games I used as posters in my childhood room

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

That Little Demon posted:

the all time greats: the ones that shipped with the NES games I used as posters in my childhood room

hell yeah. the weapons and armor were on the back too

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Those were great. Phantasy Star 2 came with a whole drat guide book and a map that had all the items and equipment on the back

No bestiary tho

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

gently caress yes

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Babble de babble

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

those were so sick

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

hell yeah. the weapons and armor were on the back too

FF1 had a sick rear end set too

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Gaming pack ins FTMFW - Forever

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

The Sujidex from Yakuza LAD

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

man nurse posted:

The Sujidex from Yakuza LAD

JOSEPH SAMOAN
Jun 13, 2010

I had a doom 64 poster with a bestiary that had simple little strategies for all the enemies that I got with a magazine when I was a kid, and whenever I got mad about dying I would get up and walk over to it and read the entry for whatever killed me while scratching my chin like a detective looking at a pinboard

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
It always pisses me off whenever a game that really REALLY should have a bestiary, doesn't. Xenoblade Chronicles 1 & 2 are good examples of this- although, weirdly enough, Xenoblade Chronicles X DID have one (??!)

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

JOSEPH SAMOAN posted:

I had a doom 64 poster with a bestiary that had simple little strategies for all the enemies that I got with a magazine when I was a kid, and whenever I got mad about dying I would get up and walk over to it and read the entry for whatever killed me while scratching my chin like a detective looking at a pinboard

lol

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

bestiaries ftw but gently caress that one enemy you need to finish it but you can never find it because it only showed up for one small part of a 100 hour game and you missed it. every game has that enemy

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
what the gently caress. isn't it beastiary? mandela effect poo poo

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

bestiaries ftw but gently caress that one enemy you need to finish it but you can never find it because it only showed up for one small part of a 100 hour game and you missed it. every game has that enemy

the ice shriekers in metroid prime that only appear once in an ambush where they all kill themselves and never spawn anywhere else again

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

extremebuff posted:

the ice shriekers in metroid prime that only appear once in an ambush where they all kill themselves and never spawn anywhere else again

my blood pressure doubled r/n

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

heehee posted:

what the gently caress. isn't it beastiary? mandela effect poo poo

That would make the most sense, but of course, latin doesn't quite work that way. Pretty sure a lot of games throughout the years have called it that regardless though

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

the pokedex is technically a bestiary

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005

Plebian Parasite posted:

lol

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

i liked how Nioh got you a more detailed entry for beating certain missions or killing x enemies. ftw.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Plebian Parasite posted:

hell yeah

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Larry Parrish posted:

i liked how Nioh got you a more detailed entry for beating certain missions or killing x enemies. ftw.

this is the way :hai:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

just went through this with final fantasy 4. green dragon :argh:

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

extremebuff posted:

Metroid Prime 3 has something like a dozen space pirate variants that are only encountered in one room one time

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Larry Parrish posted:

Oh yeah I love the 3-part bestiary. The RPG castlevania games were also cool for this where they'd show you what items enemies drop, but if you hadn't gotten the item yet all you'd see is the drop rate. Really exciting to kill something and then see "????? 5%" in its entry; gets you ready for the grind.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

DQ11 has a good bestiary with flavor text, they even sneak in references to other DQ games

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

DQ11 has a good bestiary with flavor text, they even sneak in references to other DQ games

The Sham Hatwitch ftmfw

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

JOSEPH SAMOAN posted:

Shoot the cacodemon until it dies op

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

dq11s bestiary goes above and beyond because its an in-game wiki for everything. tells you what everything drops and where to go for certain monsters and materials. dq11 ftw

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

hollow knight has at least one of every enemy type available no matter what you do.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

b_d posted:

hollow knight has at least one of every enemy type available no matter what you do.

swallows knight

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

the casual completed journal flex. getting the bestiary as an item in a cool, optional moment was a nice touch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i'm seeing double. FOUR b_ds!!!