Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

extremebuff posted:

the casual completed journal flex. getting the bestiary as an item in a cool, optional moment was a nice touch

i just found a youtube video to screenshot. MY saved journal has many more entries :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Bicyclops posted:

just went through this with final fantasy 4. green dragon :argh:

final fantasy was the series i was thinking of when i made that post lol

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

hmm, does the stuff-o-pedia in Katamari count as a bestiary? Things you roll up are kinda like enemies.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

final fantasy was the series i was thinking of when i made that post lol

i'm having similar frustrations with DQ4 but at the end of the day it's my own fault for needing completion

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Plebian Parasite posted:

hmm, does the stuff-o-pedia in Katamari count as a bestiary? Things you roll up are kinda like enemies.

i'd say absolutely. need to replay 1 and 2 again.

Payment Day
May 12, 2018

by Hand Knit
Darknut

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

bestiaries ftw but gently caress that one enemy you need to finish it but you can never find it because it only showed up for one small part of a 100 hour game and you missed it. every game has that enemy

for all of its other bizarre design decisions I appreciated that ff2 had none of that

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Tokyo Sexwale posted:

for all of its other bizarre design decisions I appreciated that ff2 had none of that

it actually does have some easily missable bestiary entries, most of them in the desert. the whole world map changes after the rift or whatever appears. it's not hard if you're following a bare bones guide that lists missables, but it definitely would be easy to never encounter them just playing through the game.

it also has some very easily missable treasures/items that involve talking to people in a very small window when you wouldn't necessarily think to talk to people you've already talked to.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

it actually does have some easily missable bestiary entries, most of them in the desert. the whole world map changes after the rift or whatever appears. it's not hard if you're following a bare bones guide that lists missables, but it definitely would be easy to never encounter them just playing through the game.

it also has some very easily missable treasures/items that involve talking to people in a very small window when you wouldn't necessarily think to talk to people you've already talked to.

yeah that's true, I did forget about the overworld

I think I was thinking of the absurd number of one-time dungeons in ff3 instead and how many of them had extremely rare fights so while it's harder to miss them in ff2 you definitely still can, yeah

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i'm still mad that final fantasy 4 has an item you can only get in one small room, from an encounter that appears 1/64 fights, if they drop something (roughly 1/20 chance) and drop the rare drop (1/64). i managed to get one and i still missed a monster for the bestiary

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Loop Hero has a pretty good one, complete with unlockable lore and flavor text and other completely meaningless stuff. It's great. Which reminds me I haven't played since the big content update back in July I need to get back into it.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

American McGay posted:

Loop Hero has a pretty good one, complete with unlockable lore and flavor text and other completely meaningless stuff. It's great. Which reminds me I haven't played since the big content update back in July I need to get back into it.

that game is so cool. i hope they keep expanding on it

HORNEY VAPE BRO
Jun 14, 2009

Does anyone know if these guys are bitter enemies or are they just buddies who like to spar together???

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

i'm still mad that final fantasy 4 has an item you can only get in one small room, from an encounter that appears 1/64 fights, if they drop something (roughly 1/20 chance) and drop the rare drop (1/64). i managed to get one and i still missed a monster for the bestiary

I'm impressed you managed it, in the ~30 years I've played that game I don't think I've ever even gotten in a fight with those things let alone the rare drop

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

th only way i ever got into a fight with them was using an alarm and i think you only get like 1 or 2 all game

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fungah! posted:

th only way i ever got into a fight with them was using an alarm and i think you only get like 1 or 2 all game

depending on the version, you can steal them with Edge, and he can steal over and over again in a single combat, so it's pretty quick. 99 is all you can ever get in the pixel remaster without a ton of weird tricks, though (in some older versions, you can get as many as you want).

i told myself i would only try until my stock of alarms ran out and got it on literally the last one, lol.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Bicyclops posted:

Earthbound has that poo poo too. The only weapon Poo can equip is the Sword of Kings, and it drops from Starman Super with a 1/128 chance, and there is only one zone in the game where Starman Super can be found. If you don't get it before you beat the boss of that dungeon, it's cut off so if you want to farm for it, you have to do it before the zone is trivial

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Bicyclops posted:

i'm having similar frustrations with DQ4 but at the end of the day it's my own fault for needing completion

i must complete games 100% as i know i will never achieve 100% completion in life...

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

signalnoise posted:

Earthbound has that poo poo too. The only weapon Poo can equip is the Sword of Kings, and it drops from Starman Super with a 1/128 chance, and there is only one zone in the game where Starman Super can be found. If you don't get it before you beat the boss of that dungeon, it's cut off so if you want to farm for it, you have to do it before the zone is trivial

the funniest thing about the sword of kings, as i accidentally discovered, is that if you are "lucky" enough get two of them, you cannot do anything with the second one, even throw it away or sell it, so it just permanently sits in an inventory slot.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Bicyclops posted:

the funniest thing about the sword of kings, as i accidentally discovered, is that if you are "lucky" enough get two of them, you cannot do anything with the second one, even throw it away or sell it, so it just permanently sits in an inventory slot.

lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bicyclops posted:

You can’t put it in storage with ness’ sister?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

You can’t put it in storage with ness’ sister?

i can't remember if tracy will take it, but she actually has limited space as well, and it's easy to fill up if you've been doing the Final Fantasy "saving all my ethers for the final dungeon" thing

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

lmao. it owns that the rarest items in that game, the gutsy bat and the sword of kings, are useless joke items. the sword of kings is a trivial attack upgrade for a spellcaster, and the gutsy bat can only drop moments before the final boss that has plot armor

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

extremebuff posted:

lmao. it owns that the rarest items in that game, the gutsy bat and the sword of kings, are useless joke items. the sword of kings is a trivial attack upgrade for a spellcaster, and the gutsy bat can only drop moments before the final boss that has plot armor

Earthbound ftw

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Also if you happen to get Ness to 99 attempting to get sword of kings (which is entirely possible) then when you get to Magicant and beat Ness' Nightmare, the stat boosts you get will not apply since it does a false level up to give the stats, and as you are 99 you can't level up any more. This makes Ness significantly weaker for the end game.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Kongming posted:

Also if you happen to get Ness to 99 attempting to get sword of kings (which is entirely possible) then when you get to Magicant and beat Ness' Nightmare, the stat boosts you get will not apply since it does a false level up to give the stats, and as you are 99 you can't level up any more. This makes Ness significantly weaker for the end game.

lol

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Earthbound ftw

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Somewhere on the Internet is a log of someone doing an Earthbound run where they grind for every 1/128 drop (even the ones that aren't unique), and it is a goddamn death march to even read about

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Antivehicular posted:

Somewhere on the Internet is a log of someone doing an Earthbound run where they grind for every 1/128 drop (even the ones that aren't unique), and it is a goddamn death march to even read about

lol, the first one happens as early as the arcade, the skate punks have a 1/128 chance of dropping a pizza.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

elf help book posted:

swallows knight

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Plebian Parasite posted:

lol, the first one happens as early as the arcade, the skate punks have a 1/128 chance of dropping a pizza.

Yeah, I mostly remember that there was an exhaustive list of "this random early-game monster drops some generic item at 1/128," so they were grinding for random trash most of the time. I think they also were grinding for enough of the 1/128 equipment drops to equip every character that could use it, so they ground out 4 star pendants? I wish I remembered the URL; it was a monument to the futility of human endeavor.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Antivehicular posted:

Yeah, I mostly remember that there was an exhaustive list of "this random early-game monster drops some generic item at 1/128," so they were grinding for random trash most of the time. I think they also were grinding for enough of the 1/128 equipment drops to equip every character that could use it, so they ground out 4 star pendants? I wish I remembered the URL; it was a monument to the futility of human endeavor.

sounds like the guy who got to max level in the first area of ff7 with cloud and barret out of spite

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

My closest thing to that was when I spent a night taking over all of Los Santos instead of studying for AP history and the next mission was the one you get kicked out of Los Santos by Samuel L Jackson.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

when i was a kid i just had to get the sword of kings every time, it was inconceivable to leave poo without a weapon. i think i got it on at least three different files. just hours upon hours fighting starman supers on that bridge. then when i focused on final fantasy iv and read about the ultimate armor you get from

Bicyclops posted:

an item you can only get in one small room, from an encounter that appears 1/64 fights, if they drop something (roughly 1/20 chance) and drop the rare drop (1/64).

i ran the numbers and thought about what my life would look like if i did that for armor you get when the game is basically over. the thought alone of that grind cured me of my sickness

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Antivehicular posted:

Not that it makes it any better but you only need 3 star pendants, Poo can't equip one.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Spoderman posted:

i ran the numbers and thought about what my life would look like if i did that for armor you get when the game is basically over. the thought alone of that grind cured me of my sickness

I thought about trying for the summons but I had that flan princess nightmare and decided to be done with final fantasy 4, lol

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Wormskull posted:

My closest thing to that was when I spent a night taking over all of Los Santos instead of studying for AP history and the next mission was the one you get kicked out of Los Santos by Samuel L Jackson.

lmfao

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Earthbound ftw

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Spoderman posted:

when i was a kid i just had to get the sword of kings every time, it was inconceivable to leave poo without a weapon. i think i got it on at least three different files. just hours upon hours fighting starman supers on that bridge. then when i focused on final fantasy iv and read about the ultimate armor you get from

final fantasy 4 has a lot of poo poo like that. summons... the pink tail.. the 3DS remake adds its own stuff on top of that and if you are a completationist it will drive you insane lol. FF4 owns

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I always thought as a kid that the Pink Puffs would end up being balloon type enemies from the name. Found out they were Pudding Princesses way way later, which made Pink Tail even more confusing.

To this day, whenever I write something that allows it, ‘Adamant’ is always the ultimate material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Plebian Parasite posted:

the pokedex is technically a bestiary

Lol