Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

StarkRavingMad posted:

everyone posting their terrible mushbrained opinions 24/7 and then arguing relentlessly about them

this describes 99% of human discouse, online or off

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I don't like that, if I want to learn how to do something, what would have been a few paragraphs of text maybe with some illustrative images is now a 20+ minute video. I don't want to watch some guy blather for 20 minutes, comment on other videos he's made, and feature zany recurring characters just to learn something. I also know that I learn much better from text than audio and it's hard to find that anywhere any more.

:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiddler on the Reef
Apr 29, 2011

I think it's unweaving the fabric of society and has turned us into a bunch of dopamine addicted zombies with lives bereft of community or culture or meaning.

It's really, really, bad.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
THE ALGORITHM

Content filtered for "engagement" one hundred percent of the time promotes extremist ideas and radicalizes idiots

Not to mention it just makes everyone grumpy, passive aggressive, assholish bullies

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

chaosbreather posted:

The internet sucks because people keep pretending that it's a vital utility that supports all government, industry and commerce instead of a place to make silly jokes and argue and make web pages about things you like. The internet was a nice little house party with you and two dozen friends and cool acquaintances. The air and the vibes had that quality to it that anything could happen. An orgy. An indie film. Getting hammered and doing insane stunts. Something magical. And then government agents busted in and jumped up on the tables demanding people use coasters and kept changing the playlist under gunpoint and media companies flooded it with shills trying to get people to try their products or sign up for horrible subscriptions and take pictures of everyone all the time. And then they started bussing everyone's parents in. And grandparents. And your boss. And then they locked the doors. That's the internet.

The government busting in and forcing you to change your playlist at gun point is a far better metaphor for the modern internet than I expected.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 8 days!)

I don't like that, if I want to learn how to do something, what would have been a few paragraphs of text maybe with some illustrative images is now a 20+ minute video. I don't want to watch some guy blather for 20 minutes, comment on other videos he's made, and feature zany recurring characters just to learn something. I also know that I learn much better from text than audio and it's hard to find that anywhere any more.

i think there's probably room for some educational only alternative to youtube where videos being short and concise is incentivised rather tha the other way around, because i know what you mean. i use youtube to learn things constantly and it is a hassle clicking through several videos of bullshit that are far too long and filled with bullshit you don't want, to find the 3 minute or legitimately 20 minute video you need which covers it all properly.

seeing something demonstrated and working alongside is the superior way to learn many things. there should be a place where that is all there is, rather than it just being something that is on youtube alongside all the other crap.

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
I miss the old internet that brought us here, and why I have a lot of love and nostalgia for these silly forums. I also absolutely hate how advertising has infected everything. This is a good thread, and I’m really interested in what everyone thinks... I’m gonna log off now (:420:), but I will think on this.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Kids are too good at video games now and i lose a lot when i play onlibe ):

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

The Bloop posted:

THE ALGORITHM

Content filtered for "engagement" one hundred percent of the time promotes extremist ideas and radicalizes idiots

Not to mention it just makes everyone grumpy, passive aggressive, assholish bullies

The algorithm is a symptom, not the the disease. The disease is people trying to pretend to make proper big boy money using the internet. It should be as untenable for a business to be on the web as it was from them to be in Second Life. That was a choice we made, we got jobs at those businesses and made them websites and told them how to use caps lock instead of laughing at them and vandalising their poo poo until they took it down in embarrassment. We sold our special lil home town to zombie subhuman trash for our nice six figgies. We even invent those algorithms for them, to try and help them trick norm norms into crushing their entire lives through their phones into our quiet frontier wilderness for lonely dweebo smarties.

Everything in the planet is hosed because the barriers to finding community is now just a whiff of personal data. Dipshits can find a legion of people who agree with them no matter how stupid they are. And we lonely dweebo smarties can't find even each other any more because every single room is jammed full of them. Because someone tricked some demon fuckers into the absurd lie that the internet was monetisable and got enough people believing it that it became sort of true, even though it fundamentally is not, unless we let them destroy it further.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

Pragmatica posted:

I also absolutely hate how advertising has infected everything.

Adblockers make the internet actually usable, no-one should go without. ublock origin is good.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Well sure, the algorithm is a symptom of unfettered capitalism, which is the problem with essentially everything.

But how it manifests on the internet is with anonymous and obfuscated empowerment of the very worst poo poo

The only exceptions are places like this that are more labors of love than real businesses and even then it's obviously a constant struggle of finding people to moderate with both good intentions and decent judgement

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

The Bloop posted:

Well sure, the algorithm is a symptom of unfettered capitalism, which is the problem with essentially everything.

But how it manifests on the internet is with anonymous and obfuscated empowerment of the very worst poo poo

The only exceptions are places like this that are more labors of love than real businesses and even then it's obviously a constant struggle of finding people to moderate with both good intentions and decent judgement

Capitalism, which is to say, capital L Logistics, is definitely The Problem. But anyone who says that the internet is a good place to base your survival off of is a mark at best, con artist at worst. There are def cute lil indie artists struggling and I love them and throw money at them whenever I can but they have been had by the same lie. It's the same lie that cryptocurrencies are just the latest layer of shellack on, the lie that the internet is capable on any level of being useful or desirable for any kind of capitalist enterprise. Speaking as information technologist, information technology is closer to whoopie cushions than it is to, I don't know, banking infrastructure. I have made nation scale systems with tens of millions of dollars a day throughput and it's a terrifying joke that only exists because the people in charge of the technology are lying to the people in charge of the money.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
social media

putting it on phones and tablets

dumbing every site down for a phone or tablet, and making that the same thing that loads on a computer

influencers

making the internet serious business for real

fostering narcissism, consumerism, animal social behavior with no empathy

...wait i think that last one was real life?

:confused:

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
It's readily available at all times, which is great when you need it.

But then it's also readily available at all times, when your just bored or whatever, and then that's all you ever do.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

roomtone posted:

i think there's probably room for some educational only alternative to youtube where videos being short and concise is incentivised rather tha the other way around, because i know what you mean. i use youtube to learn things constantly and it is a hassle clicking through several videos of bullshit that are far too long and filled with bullshit you don't want, to find the 3 minute or legitimately 20 minute video you need which covers it all properly.

seeing something demonstrated and working alongside is the superior way to learn many things. there should be a place where that is all there is, rather than it just being something that is on youtube alongside all the other crap.
This is a good point - there are a lot of things where video *does* help a ton and I'd be happy to watch them if I knew they were concise and wouldn't waste my time. Like, video is a much better way to learn some things than text. Example below:

pre:
Begin the game by running right a short distance and bash the first "?" Block 
that comes into view, and this will give you your first Coin. Defeat the 
oncoming Goomba by stomping it (jumping on its head). There are three "?" 
Blocks next; bash the lower-left one and this will uncover a Super Mushroom. 
When it comes out of the block, it slides to the right. Let it drop down and 
after it bounces from the pipe on the right, it will come back towards you, and 
you can collect it to become Super Mario - Mario will increase in size and can 
therefore smash Brick Blocks. You can also take a hit from enemies when Super-
sized, but at the cost of reverting back to Regular size.

Bash the other two "?" Blocks, and go right, jumping over the first two green 
pipes. Stomp the Goomba that patrols between the second and third pipes, and 
jump over the third pipe, stomping another two Goombas there. You can go down 
the fourth pipe along to reach Coin Room 1 (see the Coin Rooms sub-section in 
the Bonus Areas section of this guide for more details), but by doing so you'll 
skip a good chunk of the level, and continuing on as normal means you can get a 
1-Up and many other goodies, so continue reading on if you choose to continue 
through the level as normal.

Now, after that fourth pipe, you can find a hidden 1-Up Mushroom by standing 
exactly six block spaces to the right of the pipe (if you look at the pattern 
in the ground you'll see what I mean by 'block spaces'), so that Mario is 
standing in front of the left side of the green mountain in the background, and 
jumping directly up to uncover an invisible block, out of which the 1-Up 
Mushroom will appear. You'll have to be very quick to go right and grab it, 
otherwise it can drop to the ground and slide into the bottomless pit on the 
right. For help on finding the hidden 1-Up Mushroom, here's an ASCII diagram to 
help:

+---+
                                |1UP|
+-------+                       +---+
|       |
+-------+
|       |
|       |
|       |
|       |
|       |
+-------+---------------------------------------+       +----------------------
                                                |       |
                                                |       |
                                                |       |
________________________________________________|_______|______________________

Key
                  ---
                  1UP = 1-Up Mushroom (inside Invisible Block)

After this, continue right and jump over the small pit. Next, you'll see two 
Goombas dropping down some platforms to the right. Wait for them to reach the 
ground, and take them out with a stomp each. Bash the "?" Block sandwiched 
between the two Brick Blocks, and this will uncover a Power-up (by this, I mean 
it will be a Super Mushroom if you're Regular Mario; or a Fire Flower if you're 
Super or Fire Mario). If it is a Fire Flower, you can collect it to make 
Mario/Luigi become Fire Mario/Luigi (denoted by a red-and-white colour scheme), 
and you can throw fireballs to fight most of your enemies.

Go right a little more, and make a running jump over another pit. Stomp the 
next two Goombas, then jump onto the top of the single Brick Block, and bash 
the "?" Block that is directly above it to get a Coin. Now drop back down to 
the ground and repeatedly bash that Brick Block you were just standing on - 
this is a Multi-Coin Block so by bashing it as quickly and repeatedly as you 
can, you'll get more Coins out of it, before it expires.

Right a little further, you'll have your first encounter with a Green Koopa 
Troopa (walking turtle-like enemy). If you've got Fire power, use a fireball to 
knock it out instantly, or stomp it and quickly kick the shell away. Above 
you'll see two adjoined Brick Blocks; bash the one on the right, and this will 
uncover a Starman! By grabbing this, you'll gain invincibility for a short 
period of time (denoted by the change in background music and Mario's clothes 
flickering), and you can walk into enemies to defeat them until the background 
music returns to normal.

Up next are four "?" Blocks; bash the three lower ones to get Coins from each 
of them, then jump onto the middle one and bash the block above that to get a 
Power-up. Defeat several more Goombas as you continue to head right, then jump 
onto the small Brick Block platform underneath the two "?" Blocks higher up. 
Bash both of these blocks for Coins. Go right, and climb your way over two 
small staircases. A little further on, do the same thing again, and carefully 
jump over the gap between the second pair of staircases.

Next is a small green pipe; if you went to the Coin Room noted a little earlier 
in this level's walkthrough, you'll emerge from this pipe to return to the main 
level after leaving that Coin Room. After that pipe, stomp or fry another two 
Goombas, and bash the "?" Block to get one last Coin. After this, jump your way 
up the large staircase, and from the top step, make a running leap over to the 
right to grab the flagpole, hopefully near the top to score more points. With 
that, you have finished the first level of the game.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Yeah I watched a YouTube video last night to clear out Eagles Tower in the Link's Awakening remake. When I was a kid playing it I had a printed out GameFAqs guide.

Still don't know if either of those were the right choice.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

This, so much this, it drives me crazy. I’m a mechanic and I just want to see where the hidden screws on a door panel are so I can remove it to fix the window motor, but instead of a quick diagram somewhere, there’s six ten minute videos available and four of them cut from the car looking pristine and untouched to the door panel removed and lying on a table.

deadeyez
Jan 31, 2015

Fun Shoe
News websites providing half a paragraph on a year old article because you saw too many articles that month. I get it, they need money. So have the subscription provide premium access for news less than a week old, then if the article is older, let anyone read it and get some pennies from ads.
also the tremendous amount of autoplay videos anywhere. Shut the gently caress UP I scream as I squint, looking for the very tiny x

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I used to just assume that most people were idiots with mush for brains but now I know it for an incontrovertible fact. Thanks internet!

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

deadeyez posted:

News websites providing half a paragraph on a year old article because you saw too many articles that month. I get it, they need money. So have the subscription provide premium access for news less than a week old, then if the article is older, let anyone read it and get some pennies from ads.
also the tremendous amount of autoplay videos anywhere. Shut the gently caress UP I scream as I squint, looking for the very tiny x

with these news sites you can usually ctrl+a ctrl+c before the rest of the article disappears and then read it in notepad

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Don't get me wrong, my previous post was serious. I'm that person who sits and meticulously reads all of the stuff in the bathroom.

But sometimes a video is quicker.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

honestly what doesnt suck about the internet today? its hard to believe that there was even a time when goddamn loving everything wasn't about politics. it sucks that i had to cut so many people from my circle because it turned out all those ironic slurs weren't really ironic. it sucks watching people i used to respect degrade into vitriolic chuds and become reverse caricatures of the "triggered sjw snowflake" strawmen they spent all of 2014 and 2015 mocking. it sucks that we're all supposed to have a facebook account and voluntarily put up with an onslaught of mental junk food and sinister propaganda or we might as well not even really exist. it sucks that 9 out of 10 of internet users who aren't just bots have all downloaded their personalities from reddit and can only communicate like authoritative passive aggressive bullies like "nah" "this ain't it chief". it sucks that the internet used to be where i would escape to and now it's infested every loving facet of my life

my favorite ending in deus ex is the one where you shut off the internet and usher in a new dark age. gently caress the internet it has just made everything suck so hard

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

https://sponsor.ajay.app/

i hate youtube for that poo poo too, but if you absolutely need to use youtube this plugin crowdsources the skipping of sponsored content and ALSO lets people submit the "get to the point" marker for the video and you can skip all the bullshit.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

In the 90s if you wanted to put your stupid opinion online you had to learn HTML or at the very least wrangle a WYSIWYG editor, then sort out hosting and learn how to FTP your files up and it’s a decent amount of effort, so it put off a lot of the dummies and you kind of had a modicum of respect for the ones that bothered, even if it was garbage.

Now any idiot can write a post as bad as the one I am now and press a button and there’s nothing you can do about it.

Also yesterday I watched a video that took 4 minutes to tell me which two buttons I had to press on my remote to reset it. Not out of trying to drag it out for sponsors or anything, it was just pure incompetence at making a video.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The same thing even happened with everything text-based. Since SEO is almost entirely based on things like word frequency in daily content posts you have things like recipe websites where every recipe is preceded by 2,500 word essays about for example what season the dish is good in (for people who google "good summer meals") or how large the writer's family is (for people who google "meal for family of 6") and the history of the dish (for people who google "Authentic Ganymedian Cuisine"), and several tangents about how much you're going to love the food. Every piece of every kind of content is grasping so hard for visibility because there's such a deluge of content of all kinds that everything amounts to 99% flash and 1% substance these days

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

deep dish peat moss posted:

The same thing even happened with everything text-based. Since SEO is almost entirely based on things like word frequency in daily content posts you have things like recipe websites where every recipe is preceded by 2,500 word essays about for example what season the dish is good in (for people who google "good summer meals") or how large the writer's family is (for people who google "meal for family of 6") and the history of the dish (for people who google "Authentic Ganymedian Cuisine"), and several tangents about how much you're going to love the food. Every piece of every kind of content is grasping so hard for visibility because there's such a deluge of content of all kinds that everything amounts to 99% flash and 1% substance these days

i remember when seo didnt matter and you'd just write about what you liked for its own sake

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

chaosbreather posted:

The internet sucks because people keep pretending that it's a vital utility that supports all government, industry and commerce instead of a place to make silly jokes and argue and make web pages about things you like. The internet was a nice little house party with you and two dozen friends and cool acquaintances. The air and the vibes had that quality to it that anything could happen. An orgy. An indie film. Getting hammered and doing insane stunts. Something magical. And then government agents busted in and jumped up on the tables demanding people use coasters and kept changing the playlist under gunpoint and media companies flooded it with shills trying to get people to try their products or sign up for horrible subscriptions and take pictures of everyone all the time. And then they started bussing everyone's parents in. And grandparents. And your boss. And then they locked the doors. That's the internet.

In a nutshell.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Maybe just log off? In a completely serious way. Sometimes dead is better.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Junk posted:

it sucks that 9 out of 10 of internet users who aren't just bots have all downloaded their personalities from reddit and can only communicate like authoritative passive aggressive bullies like "nah" "this ain't it chief".

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Twitter just exists to foster bad faith arguments with no nuance and rewires your brain to look for a way to get mad at everything no matter what.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
Youtube constantly funnels me to bert kreicher and bill burr's lovely podcasts. The not interested button does nothing.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Caesar Saladin posted:

Twitter just exists to foster bad faith arguments with no nuance and rewires your brain to look for a way to get mad at everything no matter what.

The thing I miss about the Internet is the admins who had an iron boot who would just arrive and deal with something. Now, you have Twitter and Facebook that are worried about "optics" because they want to become politicians one day.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
The thing I miss about the internet is when you had a choice to use it.

Oh wait you still do? Kinda sorta maybe? But can't you just not go to those sites? Or use a VPN or firewall?

I'm actually curious, I'm a bit ignorant since I haven't had anything cept my phone for years now. And I just decline when prompted.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

cant find obscure releases on torrent sites. that and all the ads. ads for subscription services might be the worst offenders. if youre in marketing im going to find you motherfucker.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,
The dominance of phones really hosed up the internet in a lot of ways that are hard to describe, like just the difference between typing into a phone and typing into a full keyboard changes the dynamics of written communication in profound ways. Also everything has to be simplified to the point where a boomer can mash it into a phone, so software universally became less powerful (in terms of what you can do with it), and the control that we used to have over software got externalized to dipshit design visionaries whose visions mainly revolve around monetizing boomers mashing poo poo into phones. Also since we can't have fat clients anymore, everything has significant input lag, and interfaces got slower all around, especially in enterprise software where you really need that low input lag to keep in your flow and get poo poo done.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

i cant brush my teeth using twitter

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

i recently found out you cant make computers explode like the beginning of die hard 4. seems p weak to me but im not a loving nerd so what do i know

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

internet will not help me make this escort start breathing again. im on twitch and tbh a lot of these people are saying things that would only make things worse

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

did i mention the internet is completely inedible? im pretty sure i did

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

The dominance of phones really hosed up the internet in a lot of ways that are hard to describe, like just the difference between typing into a phone and typing into a full keyboard changes the dynamics of written communication in profound ways. Also everything has to be simplified to the point where a boomer can mash it into a phone, so software universally became less powerful (in terms of what you can do with it), and the control that we used to have over software got externalized to dipshit design visionaries whose visions mainly revolve around monetizing boomers mashing poo poo into phones. Also since we can't have fat clients anymore, everything has significant input lag, and interfaces got slower all around, especially in enterprise software where you really need that low input lag to keep in your flow and get poo poo done.

username post combo of the loving year

picturing an anthropomorphic packard bell smoking disdainfully while saying all this through microsoft sam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Most of its been covered. Turns out that having a bevy of information at your fingertips can make you believe you are wise :ironicat: