Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dk2m
May 6, 2009

A Strange Aeon posted:

I'd be curious to hear counterarguments to how today's internet is actually good in some ways, though I know that's the opposite of the OP.

Like has Kickstarter provided people with a way to make a living doing what they love?

Does Patreon provide enough financial support for artists to make a go of living as artists?

Does Etsy benefit small artisan creators who make unique products?

Or are all these platforms actually worse for creators because they require business savvy and social acumen to succeed on? I'm not sure what the past alternative was, maybe having to get a loan for a business idea? Or selling your work exclusively on the craft show circuit?

And I know these platforms are all flooded with lots of noise and similar ideas, but theoretically it seems possible great things could come into existence that wouldn't have been able to before.

This is anecdotal as a musician, but in the early 2010s, SoundCloud was a really amazing place to be if you were making music. Being able to upload your music for free to a huge community, and the ability to directly DM others for collabs + visibility was huge. I was making music for fun until I got signed to a label because the niche underground stuff I made was very supportive of each other. That ended up being a great way to network with others in the label + the scene to play shows and so on.

Where it stopped being good was when the community aspect of it got super diluted with new people just copying each other and social media presence became a must. I was asked to create a Twitter profile and had to have it constantly updated which has nothing to do with music. At that point, I was burned out and stopped using it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Strategic Tea posted:

I dunno, does a growing desire for progressivism, anti corruption, and basic liberties become a negative outcome because a dictator shat all over it?

No, but the internet also makes it easier for despots to identify and then crack down on dissidents.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Dr. Quarex posted:

I was so confused recently when I discovered a guy who reviewed mostly old BBS door games on his YouTube channel. His longest video was like 3 minutes. It was so absolutely confounding actually having someone literally just make the video as long as he felt like it needed to be to say whatever he needed to say, rather than having extraneous bullshit. That is what got me thinking about how everyone else is like "hmm, you HAVE to talk about every possible thing you know about a subject if you make a video about it! That is what videos are!"

Youtube actually hates when videos are shorter than 10 minutes. They don't actively push those videos because the engagement isn't there.