Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Regarde Aduck posted:

this is just my conjecture but you're seeing this stuff around the world and I think governments are just getting ready for constant protesting as the climate and inequality gets worse. The real kicker is the implication that they are not planning on doing anything about the causes. They're just giving themselves the means to lock us down. I expect disruptive and violent climate protesters to get hit with tougher and tougher sentences much like the woman who damaged the pipeline in America. They're going to make examples of people.

It’s not like it’s news that we’re living in a cyberpunk dystopia. It’s been that way for a decade and a half already. Private corporate armies when?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

Sometimes this thread is miserable as gently caress and sometimes it’s a gold mine of amazing puns.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

Nenonen posted:

The closest analogy are historical trade companies like the East India trade company that really ran its own army. India wouldn't have become a British dominion if they hadn't started the entry. Nothing quite like that exists today, unless you count drug cartels as corporations. I'm sure the megabillionaires are working on it, though!

Yeah that’s what I’m thinking of, there is no real EIC equivalent today. Shadowrun of course has the drug cartels as the foundation of Aztechnology, which is an amazing name for a megacorp.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

Regarde Aduck posted:

IB and XR are so ops. Like i'm 99% sure which means nothing but you know. The only thing i'm not sure about is whether the people involved are in on it or if they're being manipulated, like all the stochastic terrorists that the FBI created so it could then arrest them.

It depends who's posting. If it's ex-pats with good careers then there tends to be puns. If it's working class idiots who's lives are smoking wrecks and are going down with HMS BRITANE, well we tend to be a bit miserable.

It’s the same posters though, so unless there’s soul transference at work there’s something more to it.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

The article doesn’t actually confirm COIN death squads it says that the UK did propaganda against the PKI and that Suharto (the Indonesian dictator) then did massacres that GCHQ would have known about, and helped to cover them up because Suharto was an ally.

That said I’m not surprised if commandoes were committing horrific warcrimes. Presumably at some point the records will be declassified.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

Gort posted:

Allowing the party in power to rewrite the rules of elections is such a poo poo idea

Yes, but either power is meaningless or this is nigh inevitable.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

keep punching joe posted:

Brenda dying will be the pretext for UK government banning Twitter to prevent the spread of disrespectful image macros.

Instead of the actually good reason for banning Twitter, which is that it’s Twitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/profdanhicks/status/1454779291850493955?s=19

It's good our PM has the historical understanding of a 14 year old on 4chan.

You’d be amazed / depressed how many people sincerely believe this to be true. I’ve had this “explained” to me by people from the US, China and the UAE. It’s a weirdly popular, weirdly global misunderstanding of history.