Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Mega Comrade posted:

I wonder what a certain Brazilian family think of her giving advice of just 'run away if you feel unsafe'

One of the biggest misconceptions about Jean Charles de Menezes is that he, at all, was running away, let alone that he jumped the barricade etc like so many people are sure he did.

He was sitting down on the train after walking through the station completely normally, even stopped to pick up a newspaper as he did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

TACD posted:

Really? Well gently caress I learnt something today

Yup, I'm convinced that at some point in the immediate aftermath, the press must have done some memory implantation specifically about him jumping the barrier because everyone who brings that event up, including myself until recently, seem to remember that he jumped the ticket barrier and ran into the station.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

As long as there are two digital devices capable of communicating with each other, IRC will exist. Reassuring in a way.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

From what we know, Facebook network engineers just pulled the server-side equivalent of locking your keys in your car.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Full-time carer for my mother and the Carer's Allowance they pay me is £3.5k a year.

So, in short, gently caress off Sajid, and keep loving off until you cannot gently caress off anymore.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

The death-hearse implies the existence of a life-hearse, which I think is an ambulance.

Also I don't think cowes are supernatural.

Automotive fun facts: Early motorized hearses were just ambulances painted black. And the first purpose-built motorized hearse was just an ostensibly horse-drawn cart tied to the front end of a bus.

The first specifically petrol-driven ambulance, the Palliser Ambulance, only had 3 wheels.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I mean, I can't imagine it'd move particularly quickly, but if the horse wasn't paying attention...

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

The Question IRL posted:

It's the same attitude conservatives have to all criminal justice.
"The reason people commit crimes is that the punishments aren't strong enough. If we brought in the Death Penalty for every crime, no one would commit any crime!"

They're now officially to the right of Judge Death. "Living is the crime, the punishment is death" at least also implies a lack of discrimination.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

It'll be blamed on the left regardless. Might as well make our peace with it now, Jo Cox continues to be a footnote and David Amess will become a martyr to the cause.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Ohtsam posted:

The UK is getting even more dystopian on school lunches than the US https://twitter.com/digi_ad/status/1449657390769524739?s=20

I'd put money on the question they were actually asked being something like "Do you think strangers should be allowed into the cafeteria of your child's school?"

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Gotta go get tested tomorrow cuz I've just come home to find my mum has apparently lost her sense of taste.

Silver lining: Dune was good.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Waking up to a negative rona test is a pretty good way to wake up.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Any amount of IV anaesthetic that'd subdue someone through a needle stick quick enough that they didn't notice would also likely just outright kill them. Given how many of us have received injections recently, we're all aware that even a small shot takes a good 10-20 seconds of sitting pretty still to administer.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Even the fact that they weren't immediately forthcoming when questioned about it suggests she's at least in a bad way.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

So we'll all just be living in the centuries-old remnants of a globe-spanning empire with no real knowledge of how to keep the infrastructure they left us running?

So, once again, Warhammer 40k called it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Time zones are fake and that's why we should all just agree China has the right idea by just ignoring them.