Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Why did he get the ball with 2 mins left down two scores and not call any timeouts until 28 seconds left then start trying to score? Whats this got him all riled up for? If he wanted to just run the clock down to end the streak he could have done it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Yeah Fangio totally mismanaged that game. Near the end of the first half and after stopping Baltimore on 3rd down, he didn't bother using any of his timeouts until there was like less than a minute left. It's a very bad habit of his that he can't seem to break.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Nodoze posted:

I know the Titans didn't have Julio but how the hell did the Jets win

That Titans defense is a problem. By and large they are not good, although it's hard to say exactly why beyond the fact that they can't cover and they don't get enough pressure. Against the Titans suddenly the Jets' plays were working, they could actually get yards on the ground and there were open receivers running around. When before no one was doing jack to help Zach Wilson.

He played great, too. It was his first game where you really started to see what he might be able to do in the future. I mean, they scored 27 points which is totally nuts on its own compared to the 14, 6 and 0 that they got in previous games.

Thaddius the Large posted:

Quick question, I only half watched the broadcast but were there any shots of Steve Belichick that didn’t involve him looking like the bastard child of Igor and a coked up David Lee Roth David Lee Roth?

no

calm.jpg

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
The defense was not the problem yesterday lmao they continously gave the offense fantastic opportunities which they blew and the jets are an NFL team so give them enough chances to beat you they eventually will

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I think the Cowboys might be good this year? At the very least, they definitely don’t seem bad.

It seems like the first time they have an actual defense since I can literally remember at least?

Since Wade Phillips for sure

joe football
Dec 22, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Boston sports media this morning is actually seriously saying that despite losing the game Bill won the night and the week as a whole. Despite now being 1-3 with 3 home losses.

Yeah

Belichick has uncovered an offensive system that looks like it's accomplishing things and makes everyone happy despite not generating points or wins. Maybe his crowning achievement as a coach

Probably only works with a first or second year QB though

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Metapod posted:

The defense was not the problem yesterday lmao they continously gave the offense fantastic opportunities which they blew and the jets are an NFL team so give them enough chances to beat you they eventually will

If the Jets score 27 on you (all by the offense) via 289 passing yards, 8.7 yards per attempt and 14.1 yards per reception... that seems like a problem to me. The Titans have given up 27 or more points (including 38 from the Cardinals) three out of four weeks so far.

And yeah the Jets are an NFL team, but barely. Before this week they had only exceeded 6 points once. The offense also obviously had its issues, surprisingly had a tough time with the Jets D line, but the idea that there is no issue with the Titans defense is a bit too galaxy brain for me to accept at this point, given the amount of points they are tending to give up and against bad teams. At least they didn't let the Jets run on them too much I suppose

joe football posted:

Belichick has uncovered an offensive system that looks like it's accomplishing things and makes everyone happy despite not generating points or wins. Maybe his crowning achievement as a coach

Probably only works with a first or second year QB though

The Belichik offense has always been boring as poo poo but they are really taking it to the next level this year

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Nice elementary analysis

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

Never forget the Ravens DC bitched about a team kicking a meaningless FG to avoid a shutout. Only the Ravens can do meaningless end of game things, no one else!

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2913650-ravens-dc-don-martindale-upset-with-bengals-for-kicking-fg-to-avoid-shutout

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Woozie66 posted:

Never forget the Ravens DC bitched about a team kicking a meaningless FG to avoid a shutout. Only the Ravens can do meaningless end of game things, no one else!

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2913650-ravens-dc-don-martindale-upset-with-bengals-for-kicking-fg-to-avoid-shutout

The Ravens were the winning team there so theyre allowed to complain :D

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

The melodrama around this game is so funny

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

sean10mm posted:

The Patriots got to experience the last second loss where Brady does the exact minimum necessary to win and then your coach chokes and has an old kicker coming off an injury try to hit a 56 yarder in the rain instead of go for it on 4th and short or something moronic like that.

He kicked a 60 yarder in warmups. It wasn't a choke that is a dumb sports cliche and isn't a real thing

I thought he should have went for it too but the pass rush had also started getting real good pressure again too

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Woozie66 posted:

it's not like it was the DC who decided the Ravens should go for it

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Nodoze posted:

He kicked a 60 yarder in warmups. It wasn't a choke that is a dumb sports cliche and isn't a real thing
I'm assuming it wasn't raining during warmups?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Nick Jr. Face posted:

I'm assuming it wasn't raining during warmups?

I believe it was, since it was raining all night. The kick was good for distance he just hit the post

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
sometimes kickers miss their kicks, it do be like that sometimes

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Woozie66 posted:

Playing to win a record is fun. Playing to kick a game ending field goal down 30 points is pathetic. But yeah, Martindale and Fangio are the same kind of macho sensitive Sallys that get pissed off about dumb stuff all the time.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Bellmaker posted:

It seems like the first time they have an actual defense since I can literally remember at least?

Since Wade Phillips for sure

Parsons and Diggs look real good. I am concerned that they rely so much on takeaways though, which isn’t always repeatable. But it’s a breath of fresh air from the last few years where they almost never got takeaways.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Nodoze posted:

I thought he should have went for it too but the pass rush had also started getting real good pressure again too

Sorry I used a mean word to... agree with you that Belichick made an unforced screw up of a late game decision, I guess?

:confuoot:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Parsons and Diggs look real good. I am concerned that they rely so much on takeaways though, which isn’t always repeatable. But it’s a breath of fresh air from the last few years where they almost never got takeaways.

They’re better than last year by a significant margin.

They mentioned it during the game yesterday, but Quinn is running a completely different defense than he ever has before. He’s adapted to modern offenses and is scheming directly to his opponents strengths.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Hitting a 60 in warm ups is different than trying to match a career long that he kicked 11 years ago in Denver to either win or lose the game.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
The kick in those conditions - regardless of pregame - was by no means a gimmie.

Folk is not a guy known for his big leg, and asking him to make what would be his career long, in the pouring rain, when you've only had him kick 50+ four other times in the past three years is pretty ridiculous.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

The kick in those conditions - regardless of pregame - was by no means a gimmie.

Folk is not a guy known for his big leg, and asking him to make what would be his career long, in the pouring rain, when you've only had him kick 50+ four other times in the past three years is pretty ridiculous.

He was also injured btw.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Andy is BACK

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

He was also injured btw.

Yeah all snark aside, none of that adds up to a good decision in the moment.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

A 55-yarder is never close to a gimme unless it's, like, Justin Tucker. Have to imagine getting three yards on fourth down against that secondary has a higher success rate than a 55-yard kick in perfect conditions with your average kicker, nevermind the clock implications.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

fsif posted:

A 55-yarder is never close to a gimme unless it's, like, Justin Tucker.

I firmly believe that Dan Bailey kept Jason Garrett employed a few years longer than he should have been because Garrett has never seen a 50+ yard kick attempt he didn't fall in love with. Then when Dan broke they had to do something eventually.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Play posted:

If the Jets score 27 on you (all by the offense) via 289 passing yards, 8.7 yards per attempt and 14.1 yards per reception... that seems like a problem to me. The Titans have given up 27 or more points (including 38 from the Cardinals) three out of four weeks so far.

And yeah the Jets are an NFL team, but barely. Before this week they had only exceeded 6 points once. The offense also obviously had its issues, surprisingly had a tough time with the Jets D line, but the idea that there is no issue with the Titans defense is a bit too galaxy brain for me to accept at this point, given the amount of points they are tending to give up and against bad teams. At least they didn't let the Jets run on them too much I suppose.

Wilson had a breakout game, but part of that is never having to play catchup and start making rookie errors that lead to more turnovers than he had. He still nearly hosed up the game and let the game go to overtime. Now, imagine if Tannehill had more than one receiver to throw to.

Like, no, the Titans defense isn't great, but it didn't lose the game. The offense did.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

That kick missed left by like 3 inches. He didn't shank it into the corner, 15 yards short. The kick, while very cowardly, was fine.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
If there’s 3 seconds left in the super bowl and your team is down 2 points and you have a 55 yard FG attempt, your chances of making it are 100% if Tom Brady is your QB.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
What a baby

https://twitter.com/Bease11/status/1445032830921228294

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

That kick missed left by like 3 inches. He didn't shank it into the corner, 15 yards short. The kick, while very cowardly, was fine.

It was a good kick but to make it was a cowardly, terrible decision.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

was reluctantly rooting for the patriots but seeing belichick lose on a doink because of his own cowardly decision was really the perfect outcome

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Fellatio del Toro posted:

was reluctantly rooting for the patriots but seeing belichick lose on a doink because of his own cowardly decision was really the perfect outcome

That :doink: was SO LOUD too, lol

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

sean10mm posted:

That :doink: was SO LOUD too, lol

I've got a nice sound setup in my living room and the bass was so loving loud on the doink. And they replayed it like 400 times. It was great.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
https://twitter.com/_jillbeckman/status/1445029829804535811?s=20

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Nick Jr. Face posted:

Yeah Fangio totally mismanaged that game. Near the end of the first half and after stopping Baltimore on 3rd down, he didn't bother using any of his timeouts until there was like less than a minute left. It's a very bad habit of his that he can't seem to break.

He was actively confusing me, maybe he wanted to confuse the Ravens into hurting themselves

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Playing to kick a game ending field goal down 30 points is pathetic

That owned so hard, people still mad about it

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Metapod posted:

Nice elementary analysis

Thank you. Sometimes the truth is simple and plain to see, the titans defense playing like rear end doesn't require a 1,000 word essay to explain

lmao. even if you think this, is it really the best call to go whine about it on twitter and poo poo on all the team's fans? not to mention the antivax bullshit but that's old news from him.

what a crybaby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
https://twitter.com/MikeReiss/status/1444873347507146757

I think he's losing it.