Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Cross-posting from the OSHA thread, it looks like a smaller scale version of the prototype City Block was built by the same billionaire at U of Mich Ann Arbor back in 2015:

https://housing.umich.edu/residence-hall/munger/

https://news.umich.edu/munger-graduate-residences-opens-at-university-of-michigan/

Of course the exact same talking point and exact same concerns get raised with it.

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2013/09/24/michigan-grad-students-object-details-new-housing-unit

Looks like one of those early 20th century department stores that took up an entire city block. Charlie Munger is approximately 943 years old so that tracks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

UM Munger at least had a an attached bathroom for each bedroom, unlike the proposed 2 bathrooms for 8 people at UCSB Munger.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
8 people to a shitter is boot camp numbers.

Please tell me the shitters in this building won't have doors. That's always the icing on the cake.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Who else here read The Big U

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

According to the Scoping Hearing charts, each cell dorm room is exactly 10 ft by 7 ft

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IgEAYCEphg6x6WDQ8NQGuILqN31SA6LP/view

Another nice detail - the 8 person shared kitchens have a fridge and sink, but no stove or microwave.

Instead you get to share three stoves with 63 other people out in the 'Convivial Kitchen'. Probably for the best given all the other fire hazards in this deathtrap

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
prisons have more toilets to people

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

My college was one of the few that still had community kitchen spaces in the dorms, and out of I think 10 floors, only two ever got cleaned.

But hey I'm sure in a giant prison complex of thousands of people, the students will be more civic minded.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Please tell me the shitters in this building won't have doors. That's always the icing on the cake.

Don't remind me of trying to take a boot camp poo poo with 10 people in line yelling at you to hurry up

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Terrifying Effigies posted:

According to the Scoping Hearing charts, each cell dorm room is exactly 10 ft by 7 ft

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IgEAYCEphg6x6WDQ8NQGuILqN31SA6LP/view

Another nice detail - the 8 person shared kitchens have a fridge and sink, but no stove or microwave.

Instead you get to share three stoves with 63 other people out in the 'Convivial Kitchen'. Probably for the best given all the other fire hazards in this deathtrap

I wonder who's going to do all the cleaning in the Walled City of Santa Barbara

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
covidial kitchen

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Best Friends posted:

My college was one of the few that still had community kitchen spaces in the dorms, and out of I think 10 floors, only two ever got cleaned.

But hey I'm sure in a giant prison complex of thousands of people, the students will be more civic minded.

that's uncommon? mine had them in every dorm, on every floor, though they weren't used much during the academic year. during the breaks i stayed over they got pretty grody though

best was my senior year, when i lived in the nice new dorm with the real fancy kitchen. turns out that one _did_ get used because the sizeable population of chinese international students used it to make group dinners. unfortunately they weren't great cooks and managed to set off the fire alarm once a week at least, meaning that we all got to chill outside for 15 minutes in the dead of the minnesotan winter

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Navy boot had at least 6 heads and 6 urinals per dorm. All but 2 each were off limits so we could keep them clean(we had to clean them anyway but at least it was easy). However nobody could just close the door and keep you from using the sink and shower.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Kesper North posted:

Who else here read The Big U

Right there with ya.

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011

Crab Dad posted:

Navy boot had at least 6 heads and 6 urinals per dorm. All but 2 each were off limits so we could keep them clean(we had to clean them anyway but at least it was easy). However nobody could just close the door and keep you from using the sink and shower.

I don’t understand the off limit toilets? Like were only two toilets inspected and just kept meticulously clean? Air Force basic had probably like 4-5 urinals and I forgot how many stalls but 6 sounds about right but there were never any off limit ones except the urinals for a little bit after the aforementioned pube shaving incident. During the 5 minute breaks between classes the last couple of stalls were pooping stalls while the rest would get about 3 dudes crammed into each to cross the streams.

2 bathrooms with a shower and I want to say a sink for 8 people in 4 rooms with 2 to a room sharing a common area with a sink, a large mini fridge, some cabinets, and a futon made up the basic layout of the BPC complexes as Al Udied. Honestly it wasn’t that bad since the rooms had their own sinks and mirrors and the common space put some distance between the rooms and main hall. Also any number of those people could be forward deployed at any time so that also took pressure off the whole set up.

Cenen fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Oct 30, 2021

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code
Well I for one enjoy the future Judge Dredd Mega City Block. Beats the Iso-Cubes!

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Out of idle curiosity I checked the status of a House bill I hope passes, HR 2827 - Captain James C. Edge Gold Star Spouse Equity Act. Short version is that it lets surviving spouses keep their indemnity compensation if they remarry.

Turns out there was a committee meeting on Monday where they discussed it. Also discussed at this committee meeting were bills to increase SGLI to $500,000 because of inflation since they made it $400,00 and to increase Dependency and Indemnity Compensation benefits to equal 55% of what a 100% disabled vet gets (bringing it in line with other federal survivor benefits).

Not a lot was said about HR 2827 but the other two bills got decent amount of talky time.

Edit: Holding hearings on these bills is way way more than the SBP-DIC offset repeal bills ever got, so I'm.... tentatively less pessimistic.

McNally fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Oct 30, 2021

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Best Friends posted:

Dorm kitchens teach the most valuable lessons of all: Trust nobody, your fellows will gently caress you the first and every chance they can get, and the barrier of having to talk to your neighbors is sufficiently high that you won't organize adults cleaning up after themselves.

So you will eat ramen and $12 University rations.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/nickmartin/status/1454207165149810697

Could be wrong from simple googling, but assault has a max of 4 months, disorderly carries 6 months, and criminal trespass (probably) a month :toot:

He's also trying to fundraise for the appeal because of course. Sentencing in January.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Cenen posted:

I don’t understand the off limit toilets? Like were only two toilets inspected and just kept meticulously clean?

Youre not barred from using them by the instructors or whatever, its so you dont have to clean as much and can focus on other things

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

facialimpediment posted:

Agreed. I'm just saying the alternative isn't nothing, but is actually replacing the dick with a gas nozzle. Accelerationism hopes that at some point, the country will start electing more climate progressives. The COVID era has more shown that non-burning parts of the country will happily instead elect the Republicans perfectly happy with the neighborhood burning down because damnit, gasoline doesn't sell itself and those oilmen need jobs!

https://twitter.com/steve_vladeck/status/1454166118415978505?t=sngN5QaiwBJdfspfIgfHjA&s=19

Emitting gas is the very definition of speech. And speech is free!

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
Nobody likes cleaning toilets, so if you only have to clean 2 of 8 and just dust off the other 6, it makes things easier.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
Same way we'd just tighten up the corners in the morning after passing out on top of our beds in sleeping bags, anything to reduce the amount of bullshit you had to deal with.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Notahippie posted:

This billionaire sounds like a loving weirdo. I'm getting real "human centipede but for buildings" obsessed scientist vibes.

Epstein, too, had some loving weird ideas about social engineering, in addition to the whole child sex trafficking thing.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

This is the best thing to happen to those yellow buzzards since Johnny Cash died.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Platystemon posted:

This is the best thing to happen to those yellow buzzards since Johnny Cash died.

What did Johnny Cash have against buzzards?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

PeterCat posted:

What did Johnny Cash have against buzzards?

“I didn’t do it. My truck did, and it’s dead, so you can’t question it.”

The fire killed forty‐nine of the fifty‐three condors at the refuge, which was at the time about half of all living California condors.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Oct 30, 2021

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
They’re birds aren’t they? Couldn’t they just fly out of the burning ring of fire?

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Platystemon posted:

“I didn’t do it. My truck did, and it’s dead, so you can’t question it.”

The fire killed forty‐nine of the fifty‐three condors at the refuge, which was at the time about half of all living California condors.

Well....shoot.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

FrozenVent posted:

They’re birds aren’t they? Couldn’t they just fly out of the burning ring of fire?

He may have only driven them off.

As Cash tells it in his autobiography,

quote:

“Did you start this fire?”

“No, my truck did, and it’s dead, so you can’t question it.”

“Do you feel bad about what you did?”

“Well, I feel pretty good right now.”

“But how about driving all those condors out of the refuge?”

“You mean those big yellow buzzards?”

“Yes, Mr. Cash, those yellow buzzards.”

“I don’t give a drat about your yellow buzzards. Why should I care?”

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Reading more about this, I also just learned that an ostrich nearly killed Cash in 1981, so maybe the birds put out a hit on him?

https://countryrebel.com/how-johnny-cash-was-once-nearly-killed-by-his-pet-ostrich/

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

PeterCat posted:

Reading more about this, I also just learned that an ostrich nearly killed Cash in 1981, so maybe the birds put out a hit on him?

https://countryrebel.com/how-johnny-cash-was-once-nearly-killed-by-his-pet-ostrich/

Jesus. No one fucks with the ostrich mafia.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Bolsonaro is on the same shitlist.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Platystemon posted:

Bolsonaro is on the same shitlist.

Didn't that fascist nearly poo poo himself to death recently?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
He’s gotten COVID like four times, which is coincidentally the same as the number of fights he’s lost to flightless birds.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

It's happening. Europe is getting into your braaaaain.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

CainFortea posted:

It's happening. Europe is getting into your braaaaain.

Horrible, now he'll probably have sex too!

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Someone said the sardine can prison cubes new "high density" dorms had only two enterances/exits ... That doesn't include emergency/fire exits, right? There are a lot more of those than just two?

Right? :ohdear:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There are six “emergency use only” fire escapes.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Y’all see this horseshit about unspecified online threats from ISIS causing NoVA police to fill up the malls in droves?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

Y’all see this horseshit about unspecified online threats from ISIS causing NoVA police to fill up the malls in droves?

Yeah. Seems like rumor mill backed up by unspecified sources that some cops went "better safe than sorry" because it's also election week.