Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I’m really sorry, man. I hope you’re doing OK and are surrounded by love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/jckarter/status/1445089949024325634?s=20

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/benschwartz_/status/1445097797523427328?s=21

I prefer this explanation.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

What does that mean, exactly?

Imagine for a second to get you’re a ferryman living in New Zealand, and that for the sake of argument, you’re best friends with a white shepherd named, uh, Luca.

Imagine one day that you endeavor to play with Luca. “Go get your ball, Luca!” You intone, gazing deep into his wide, open eyes as they beam with excitement.

Luca bounds off to find his ball, but he thinks “Wait- did the Ferryman say the green ball or the red ball? Or was it the blue one?” He eventually decides to bring you a yellow ball.

“No, Luca, go get the other ball! You know which one!” You say.

Luca goes back and studies his ball collection. Maybe the Human wanted green? And so he picks it up and trots back.

“No, Luca- your special ball!”

By now poor Luca is thoroughly confused and starting to get mad. He brings you ball after ball as you chide him to go get THE ball until finally he can’t take it anymore. He throws back his head and angrily barks at the ceiling while aggressively squatting and taking an enraged poo poo on the carpet while you weep and wail in despair.

In this example you are a ferryman living in New Zealand, Luca is the Internet and the ball is Facebook.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ah crap, looks like Facebook is slowly coming back online. What a wonderful few hours that was.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Handsome Ralph posted:

https://twitter.com/ajbauer/status/1445476875636072450

Tag yourselves, I'm the syringe next to the candy bar.

I’m the g-g-g-g-GHOST of Jeffrey Epstein behind Bill and Hillary!

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Speaking of Bruce Campbell, October 15th will mark the 40th anniversary of the release of the classic Sam Raimi movie The Evil Dead. Bruce stars as Ash Williams, a kind of hapless everyman thrust into a demonically-tinged nightmare that can only be solved by total dismemberment (as is usually the case.) I figure I'd bring this up now because I figure by the 15th, this thread will have moved on to discussing the new revelations of how Trump sought to overturn the election by releasing genetically modified Brown Recluse Murder Hornets into Congress.

Anyhow, the Evil Dead!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NL6mioAlpJk

The first one, which grew out of the 1978 short Within The Woods, had some unique camera tricks and really attempted to be a "serious" horror movie in terms of gore and the overall atmosphere. It also had a, uh, unfortunate love scene involving a horny demonic tree. The sequel, Evil Dead 2, was kind of a sequel-remake to the first Evil Dead movie, and was the first notable time that Raimi and Campbell really found their "splatstick" formula of excessive gore employed in a kind of tongue and cheek way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIJTvEo4N4Q

This was followed by Army of Darkness, which completely abandons any pretense of being a horror movie and is instead full of over-the-top dialogue and action scenes to boot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Or3okI_mad8

If you've never seen any of these and are looking for a fun little popcorn movie experience, I'd recommend starting with Evil Dead 2 and marathoning straight through to Army of Darkness.

xpostin' this and shamelessly plugging the Spooky Season thread.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

My Spirit Otter posted:

im just going to outright wish people who arrest and jail kids for profit a slow, painful, slow, slow, very painful, agonizingly slow, agonizingly painful death.

You could have just said COVID since most cops are refusing to get vaccinated.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

:ughh: at everyone on this page

You figure that someone that’s spent their career at sea would understand the utility of the Austrian navy’s ruthless strategic ambitions but apparently not :rolleyes:

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Cugel the Clever posted:

Come now, the Austrian navy has a storied history. Just look at the von Trapps!

or Horthy, for a significantly darker legacy

Never doubt their aspirations to secure Austrian dominance over the Brineland.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Steve Harwell, the now-former lead singer of Smash Mouth, apparently let his own brain go for a walk during an unfortunate recent performance.

https://twitter.com/wapplehouse/status/1447397226418946049

It's kind of funny but it's really more sad to watch someone coming apart at the seams in public.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

In fact 15 years ago the US was criticizing China for not doing anything to combat Islamic extremism in the region. It appears now with the withdrawal from Afghanistan US messaging is now on to saying there is nothing going on.

In short I have no idea what the ground truth is and we sure aren’t going to find that out from English language media.

If there's one enduring legacy from GWOT, it's that "terrorism" and the specter of "radical Islam" have given authoritarian governments worldwide carte blanche to harass and crack down on opposition groups to forcibly reshaping a pesky frontier's cultural and demographic makeup. While the Chinese government can rightfully be sharply critical at the US' anti-Islam actions over the past 20 years, that doesn't mean that they're beyond reproach for what they're doing in Xinjiang either.

"gently caress both the US and Chinese governments" is a perfectly consistent position to hold.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

McNally I kindly request that the thread title be changed to "Tankies, Sailors, Soldiers, Sigh"

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

CainFortea posted:

Wasn't there an entire story about the time they got him to eat eggs?

Via SAClopedia:

quote:

Posted by Haifisch on October 10, 2011

For the full story of Mr. Mouth not eating the eggs, go here: [url=http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3423233&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1[/url]

Abbreviated version:
-DocEvil wants Smash Mouth to eat eggs.
-Smash Mouth agrees to eat 24 eggs if people donate $10,000 to St Jude's children's hospital.
-People raise $10,000 for sick children.
-Mr. Mouth is oddly quiet for a while, leading people to wonder whether or not he'll eat the eggs.
-Some goon records themselves eating 24 eggs. This is great, but Smush Mouth still needs to eat the eggs.
-Goons get enraged at the lack of egg eating, and go on a campaign to publicly shame Mouth Smash.
-Egg Mouth announces that Guy Fieri will be cooking the eggs. Goons are displeased since having a lovely chef cook the eggs goes against the spirit of the challenge.
-Egg Mouth finally settles on a date for egg eating: October 10th. Goons are pleased.
-The 10th rolls in and Guy Fieri is such a terrible cook that there was somehow a duck fetus in one of the eggs. Shameful Mouth only eats a few bites of egg, while some guy named Rick eats a whole bunch of them, and a vegetarian finishes the eggs off. Mr. Mouth officially becomes both a lame, mostly forgotten "muscian" and a poor sport.
-Goons actually contemplate taking away money they donated to a children's hospital because Smash Mouth strung them along that long and didn't actually eat 24 eggs.
-Apparently the eggs were spicy, but this is still no excuse for Smash Mouth not eating 24 of them. It is, however, his fault for having Guy Fieri prepare them.
-No Real Pattern posts a trip report of the egg shame.

pantslesswithwolves fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Oct 13, 2021

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Expect this to become the latest talking point in the pro-insurrectionist Chud camp, which has been alleging that January 6th defendants are "political prisoners" facing unduly harsh conditions.

quote:

U.S. District Judge Royce C. Lamberth of Washington acted after finding jail officials failed to turn over information needed to approve surgery recommended four months ago for a Jan. 6 Capitol riot defendant’s broken wrist.

The defendant, Christopher Worrell, is an accused Florida Proud Boys member charged with four felonies, including rioting and spraying pepper gel at police at a critical point leading to the initial Capitol breach.

The failure of D.C. officials to turn over medical records is “more than just inept and bureaucratic jostling of papers,” Lamberth said in a hearing, raising the possibility of deliberate mistreatment.

“I find that the civil rights of the defendant have been abused. I don’t know if it’s because he’s a January 6th defendant or not, but I find this matter should be referred to the attorney general of the United States for a civil rights investigation into whether the D.C. Department of Corrections is violating the civil rights of January 6th defendants ... in this and maybe other cases.”

To be clear, there is absolutely no excuse for a prisoner- no matter how odious of a crime they've committed or alleged to have been committed- to receive a delay in medical care. But you can sure as poo poo expect the Madison Cawthorns and such to be trumpeting this one from the rooftops.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Some people just want the slave labor without having to say it

A person can be against the horrible US prison system and its slavery-by-any-other-name provisions and also believe that there are some people who should be kept away from society on a permanent basis because of their actions; these aren’t contradictory ideas.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

CainFortea posted:

What are people protesting about the investigation of that explosion?

Hizballah and Amal (the other, less powerful Shia' party in Lebanon) don't like the judge presiding over the investigation of the Beirut port blast last year. So they were protesting, then someone opened fire on the Hizballah protest, which is a major rarity in Lebanon. All of the country's armed groups and factions generally don't stir up poo poo in Beirut, least of all on Hizballah's home turf in Southern Beirut. It's a big escalation and one that couldn't come at a worse time given their economic difficulties and their absolutely moribund political system.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

bird food bathtub posted:

This one's a huge part of it. Lots and lots of people (primarily women, because that's how our society rolls) are saying "why the hell would I work for the privilege of paying a babysitter to not see my kids and be in the hole on costs?" The numbers just aren't there to support child care costs and a job across a large portion of the economy.

People are making the best available decision in a lovely situation because the pressures that lead to both parents working are still there, but they're getting squeezed on the other end by just not being able to cover the costs of childcare. The decades long trend of having to have both parents work to make ends meet has become a broken system with people being crushed in the middle.

Granted, many are also just choosing to not have kids as a result so that'll be fun times coming up as well.

It may be a bit of self-selection given that DC has a high cost of living, but the only people I know who can afford childcare (which even subsidized is still almost the cost of most people’s rent/mortgage) are either GS-15s making $fuckyou money, have a trust fund, have a parent nearby who can help watch the kids, or some combination thereof. I don’t understand how people can afford children even with both parents working.

My wife’s company even moved its offices from DC to VA to get out of paying paid maternal leave as DC law requires. Can’t cut into those profits!

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Very strong

https://twitter.com/internethippo/status/881161169469403137

Vibes off of that one. Gonna be real fun talking about legitimacy of the court when in 2025 McConnell rams through the remaining appointments and we get a 9-0 court.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

boop the snoot posted:

Between this, the new Chucky series, and the new I Know What You Did Last Summer series, we are trying to attempt to invent time travel.

The recent Fear Street series on Netflix was also pretty good.

Not a throwback, but Midnight Mass (also Netflix) was pretty good as well.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Best Friends posted:

https://twitter.com/Aldanimarki/status/1447865123327168520?s=20

Unsourced Twitter content so who knows, but it appears to be US sof in Yemen doing "we own this city" style patrols. Our sof has been there for the entirety of the conflict (and before) doing kill team stuff, but this seems new, and an increased footprint. If true.

Emirati SOF has a lot of the same toys and aesthetics that US SOF does and it would make a lot more sense for them to be doing overt presence patrols in that city than it would for the US.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

The driver and gesture in question

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

To loving no one’s surprise:

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2021/10/senator-joe-manchin-democratic-party-exit-plan-biden-infrastructure-deal-exclusive/

quote:

He told associates that he has a two-step plan for exiting the party. First, he would send a letter to Sen. Chuck Schumer, the top Senate Democrat, removing himself from the Democratic leadership of the Senate. (He is vice chairman of the Senate Democrats’ policy and communications committee.) Manchin hopes that would send a signal. He would then wait and see if that move had any impact on the negotiations. After about a week, he said, he would change his voter registration from Democrat to independent.

It is unclear whether in this scenario Manchin would end up caucusing with the Democrats, which would allow them to continue to control the Senate, or side with the Republicans and place the Senate in GOP hands. In either event, he would hold great sway over this half of Congress.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

MazelTovCocktail posted:

For me it’s with my two kids get it. I may have spent some time out, like when my wife and I saw John Mulaney, but it’s been limited to things requiring masks and vaccines mostly. I really miss being able to take my daughter to see the Sixers and for my sons first game.

This is the calculus that my parent friends are adopting. They’re fully vaccinated but behaving as though they aren’t for the sake of their kids. Good on them, but I can tell that it’s certainly sucking for them when they have to decline invites to hang with other fully vaccinated adults indoors.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

If there's a Supreme Court opening in Biden's term, it will almost certainly be filled. But the odds of a justice you would want dying doing so in the next couple years are low, the Republican wing of the Supreme Court are all relatively very young.

e: except Clarence Thomas, he's getting up there

January 2023: Democrats everywhere are despondent after newly reinstated Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell announces that he will refuse to hold a vote on the replacement for recently deceased Justice Breyer, stating that it is an election decade and that the voters should decide which 30-year old Liberty University law graduate should assume their position on the nation’s highest court once they’ve finished their internship with the Heritage Foundation.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

CainFortea posted:

Supposedly the director called for another shot of the scene and his response was "How about I shoot you instead!" and aimed the gun at them and pulled the trigger.

JFC, do you have a source for this?

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

My Spirit Otter posted:

Man, went out for some food and the cops had the busiest road closed and i saw hundreds of neon coloured flags forming a line probably 50m long from a turn and i had figured a pipe burst or something. So when i was in the drive through, i went to the local news site and then what those hundreds of little flags were made sense.

https://www.quintenews.com/2021/10/22/273078/

I made the mistake of looking over on the way back and saw the still pinned scooter.

:smith:

Last night, I was walking home with Apollo from hanging out with friends and crossing a quiet residential street in the crosswalk when two cars- one a cab- decided they didn't want to wait for someone to finish dropping their friend off so they swerved around and ran a stop sign, coming so close to hitting us that I was actually able to kick the side of the first car as it went by. Then I jumped back and yanked on Apollo's leash to avoid the cab, and the driver actually yelled "gently caress you cracker" at me as he went by. Putting aside the ridiculousness of someone using that term as an insult in TYOOL 2021, I've never been so loving angry in my life. If either driver had responded to me screaming "PULL OVER MOTHER FUCKER" I'm absolutely positive that I would have attacked them with anything I could have grabbed as a weapon, consequences be damned. I've never come so close to being killed by a car, and the callousness in how they did it was absolutely horrifying. I woke up angry this morning, which is a feeling that I hate. I hope that the next time either of those drivers gets behind the wheel, their trip ends in a single-car fireball at the end of a bridge abutment.

It seems like there's been a real uptick in aggressive and reckless driving since the pandemic. I dunno if it's people still thinking that the roads are empty so they can do what they want or people just internalizing "lol nothing matters" or whatever, but pedestrian/cyclist deaths are up this year in my city, and it's just pretty awful in general. Not saying that's what happened in the tragic scooter case you're posting about, but man, I loving hate a lot of drivers a lot of the time.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

My city (DC) has more or less completely turned over traffic enforcement to its system of automated speed and red light cameras. You have to hit the winning combination of 1. Seriously loving up 2. loving up directly in front of a cop and 3. The cop seeing it and deciding to pull you over. A year ago I almost got hit while in a crosswalk by a car making an illegal left turn- right in front of two DC cops- and when I threw my hands up in the universal “yo what the gently caress” gesture one of them just shrugged.

I’m still in favor of traffic enforcement being moved away from police, and I understand why no-chase policies exist. I’m more lamenting why there seems to be a societal trend toward so many people thinking they can act like a self-entitled sociopath with impunity.

Best Friends posted:

The massive increases in people starting fights on airplanes, and anecdotally seeing in real life a former friend flip out for no reason and disown all her friends including her best friend of like 20 years, has got me thinking that either covid, pandemic isolation, or both is doing something to damage people in a way that increases anger.

I sometimes wonder if there isn’t some weird neurological component to COVID that makes people want to start fights, eschew masks and get in people’s faces to spread the virus even more.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I wonder though if it’ll turn into something closer to DC? I know you can use self-defense as a reason now for a carry permits

Also I’ve gone through a bunch of those packets and even the Hills have eyes county places in upstate NY are really really over the top with what they ask you.

DC is de facto shall issue once you jump through a bunch of hoops, including 16 hours of range time and a significant delay since their firearms registration section is understaffed and perpetually backed up. They dropped the “good reason” requirement a few years ago, likely because DC didn’t want to be the reason for two consecutive watershed SCOTUS cases about guns. There’s still tons of restrictions on when and where people can carry, though.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Cugel the Clever posted:

My fists are going to do fuckall when some rear end in a top hat in a truck either negligently or deliberately endanger my life. Only a fundamental shift in our transportation infrastructure, an elimination of the sociopathy in our driving culture, and meaningful and evenhanded deterrence mechanisms can rein in the boom in automotive homicides.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/10/end-police-violence-get-rid-traffic-cop/620378/

This is a pretty good article about how automobile manufacturer lobbies successfully managed to convince the country that "streets are for cars," which is obviously something that remains deeply internalized to this day. Kind of bittersweet to see Slow Streets mentioned here: DC half-assedly tried that by putting up some chicane-like barricades up to get cars to slow down and people kept crashing into them, which I think is a pretty good metaphor for the entire problem.

bengy81 posted:

I had a whole lot of words typed up, as one of my dogs was run over earlier this year due to a speeding/inattentive driver, it doesn't matter though, because unless it generates revenue, the cops and city aren't gonna do poo poo to fix it.

I have absolutely no words for this. I'm so sorry that happened to you and your dog.

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Why invoke rapists? Cops themselves are rapists or basically never actually investigate or solve reported sex crimes. It's the shittiest argument to invoke in favor of policing.

gently caress off with that bullshit whataboutism.

gently caress off and deep throat boots somewhere else.

Who died and made you mod?

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Imagine being one of the two people alive who have held or currently hold the title of Pope and seeing that sign. I would think they would take it as quite the personal attack!

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

Can't wait to go to hell and wedgie hitler

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Bored As gently caress posted:

Explaining why something is happening !not = deep throating boots.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

[quote="Comrade Blyatlov" post="518705632"]
Actually, I'd really prefer it if you'd take your hair-trigger explosive rages someplace else. I really don't need your particular brand of nastiness.

And I realise this is a difficult concept, but I have no doubt that not all police have personally raped someone, so don't go making up some bullshit to justify yourself.

These posts especially were not great probes, even if they were short.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Reminder that Zuck's wax sculpture at Madam Tussaud's looks more human than he actually does

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

It’s loving 2021. We have computers that allow us access to almost all of the information in the world the we can fit in our pockets (and occasionally make phone calls with them), targeting technology that can put a missile packed with knifes through the roof of a car and only kill one person, and all kinds of other technological marvels that would be so goddamned cool in a Sean Connery-era Bond movie. And instead of getting cool billionaire super villains to match, we get the stupidest crap our lovely new gilded age can vomit at us. gently caress Bezos and Musk jousting each other with their dick rockets and Zuck trying to reorder the Internet to reflect the ideals of a stunted fascist who wanted to perv on his classmates without any social interaction. I want Hank Scorpio with an orbital death laser. This poo poo sucks.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

“97-year old billionaire turned amateur architect designing a dorm” is a straight up discarded Mr. Burns subplot from a Simpsons episode.

“Windows? Fresh air? Bah, Smithers! We’re designing a dormitory, not a sanitarium! I trust that the showers will only spray cold water and the food in the dining hall will have a steady level of saltpeter in every meal, yes? Can’t let the libido go unchecked!”

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Uh, holy loving poo poo

https://twitter.com/AdamKinzinger/status/1453699547591417867

January 6 was oafishly executed at times but I guaran-loving-tee you that there are smarter, meaner and more motivated fascists who are taking notes on poo poo like this. Next time, they won't fail.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Y’all see this horseshit about unspecified online threats from ISIS causing NoVA police to fill up the malls in droves?

FWIW, a friend of mine with a lot of contacts in LE and the IC seem to be taking this one pretty seriously. I still am skeptical overall and won’t be altering my plans this weekend (spoiler alert: gonna go real fuckin wild walking dogs) but it’s never a bad idea to keep your eyes open and wits about you in public.

Meanwhile, the Lincoln Project (remember them?) sent tiki-torch wielding guys to pose as white supremacists at a Youngkin event at Charlottesville. Kind of a gross stunt to pull and I think it could blow back on McAuliffe even if his campaign didn’t have anything to do with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

The usual pearl clutching is already in full effect, but why would it backfire? That is a reminder of who Youngkin's base is.

I just think it’s gross to dress that particular way in that particular place given what happened there. I don’t think most of the country needs a reminder of what the Republican base is given that they show us every day when they’re screaming at the waitress at Applebee’s for her feeble attempt to get them to pull up their face mask or threatening to kill their school board because of ~critical race theory.~ I’m not making a paean to :decorum: because gently caress Youngkin and gently caress Republicans in general; I just find this particular stunt to be in poor taste.