Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
She had an appointment involving her footman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I have often read obituary notices with considerable satisfaction.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Saws and grinders are cool, but if you’re going to make up a rumor, say it was a cutting torch. :black101:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Was the debt ceiling not kicked down the road to December?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

facialimpediment posted:

Nope, that's the continuing resolution (direction to spend money). Debt ceiling explodes on October 18th (borrowing exhausted, no money available).

And right now, it's looking like there's no general way out, as McConnell isn't even taking a hostage while his caucus filibusters and doesn't allow Democrats to raise it unilaterally.

There are ways out, they’re just varying levels of rules‐lawyering with bad optics (platinum coin) all the way up to constitutional crisis (invoking the Fourteenth).

McConnell might win this game of chicken, that’s all.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Hmm I thought that the transportation secretary preferred cinnamon rolls.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Richard Bong posted:

A guy who shot at cops during the protests was acquitted. Minneapolis PD basically did drive bys in unmarked vans and a legal gun owner fired back.

https://twitter.com/mdvancleave/status/1445530570298036231?s=21

It’s hosed up how much deference the cops get.

Literally just remove “oh btw they’re secretly cops” from the equation and it’s an easy “wtf why would you file charges against the victim?”

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Bolivia has a navy.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Stravag posted:

WAKE UP SHEEPLE

Are 40% of cops on China’s payroll?

Google “40% of cops” to learn more.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Subforum title is very spooky.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Duck fœtus? WTF? If you’re going against the unstated terms of the challenge, use quail eggs.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Trump is not mad about being banned from Twitter. Please don’t put in the newspapers that he got mad.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

facialimpediment posted:

The company came in wanting to push boosters after 6 months and the FDA panel was like "uh, your data is too rosy, we think this is a 2-dose vaccine based on our studies".

Yeah the “one and done” was a consequence of J&J’s timing and position in the vaccine race. Pfizer & Moderna ran the trials with two shots because we know that effective vaccination can require a multi‐shot series, and that was the conservative choice. We didn’t have the luxury to wait and see how the trial participants were doing before giving them a second shot. J&J went into the trials with a single‐dose strategy from the start because they were behind and the convenience of a single shot to patients and providers would constitute their niche.

If the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines had been tested as single shots, they would have shown decent results and received EUA under that protocol. When the followup data trickled in, they would have been in the exact same position J&J is in now.

People who received the J&J shot will feel that this is a bait and switch, which it kind of is, but not for the reasons they think it is.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Defenestrategy posted:

So what does that mean for people who got the J&J shot back in April/May, they've missed that booster window by about half a year at this point? Do they go through another series or do they just get the booster and the efficacy is similar?

They get the booster now and the efficacy is similar.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1448353685965131779

Now, this is data about antibodies from blood draws, not efficacy against disease in the real world. There is a strong presumption that they correlate, but we would of course like to see real‐world results.

Topol continues his thoughts in a few further tweets.

Something I would like to add is that boosting J&J with either of the mRNA vaccines causes less unpleasant side effects.

If I had gotten the J&J vaccine, I would want an mRNA booster based on this data.

I understand that allowing for mix & match multiplies the complexity for regulators, but for me personally? It’s a no‐brainer.

e: No one should take this as a reason not to get a second J&J shot when it is made available to you. You want a booster, any booster.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Oct 15, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Best Friends posted:

Much like McCain, the entire media apparatus kept saying he's a great guy, which fooled everyone who wasn't looking that hard into everything (including myself). I presume that much like McCain, he got this fawning press through a combination of cultivated flattery to the press corps and being a regular source.

Prob the biggest lesson in media awareness I've learned in life is that when a unelected public servant of some variety gets a flattering high level media profile, that public servant is a frequent source and the fawning article is an in-kind payment for services rendered.

Another recent example of this is John Kasich. From the media narrative, you’d think he was the second coming of Abraham Lincoln, but he’s really just Mike Pence without the love for horse meat.

Serjeant Buzfuz posted:

Nothing cheers me up as much as remembering that Rush Limbaugh is dead and in hell

He just made ten months sober. :toot:

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 18, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

shame on an IGA posted:

should be pretty easy in this case, "it's like if every time you asked for your account statement they mailed you a crate with their entire file cabinet"

“File cabinet” is way too generous here.

It’s a truck full of unlabelled boxes with no particular arrangement to its contents.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Here is the text forwarded from the desk of the New York Times senior Whitehouse reporter.

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1450455942714306566

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Watch out. We’ve got a badass over here. :jerkbag:

https://twitter.com/RepCawthorn/status/1448287339105636367

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Grip it and rip it posted:

Wait they're illegally obtaining evidence rather than get a warrant? I dont think the courts would like that much. Thats like the exact scenario that the exclusionary doctrine was constructed to manage

That’s why parallel construction was invented.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
He might as well caucus with the Republicans if he’s going to act like he does. “This turncoat senator and the rest of the GOP is obstructing us” is a better electoral message than “we’re a dysfunctional party [because of people like that turncoat senator]”.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I can’t wait for the twenty‐seven percent of the nation with oppositional defiant disorder to eat all the tainted onions they can find to stick it to the man.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

facialimpediment posted:

This hit my feed on The Trolley Problem the other day and it sort of documents stuff like that - how many little things go wrong before the big thing even is possible to go wrong:

That’s just Angel’s Flight, though.

quote:

A survey of funiculars worldwide also found that each system utilized cars equipped with braking systems or backup safety cables.

No one else hosed up as badly as them.

https://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/AccidentReports/Reports/RAR0303.pdf

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Bored As gently caress posted:

She made so much loving money off of that that she's set for life.

35G per month

:eyepop:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Bisexual Hindu film buffs get no points.

This game is rigged.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I know that the standard joke is that bisexuals are invisible, but I looked over that list and still don’t see it.

Bisexuals are not homosexuals, and they aren’t all LGBT supporters. Sadly, many bisexuals are willing to throw the “T” under the bus.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Widow, widower

Adulter, adulterer

It’s just science.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
More on the Rust shooting.

quote:

Gutierrez Reed, Rust’s head armourer, is the daughter of a western movie veteran, Thell Reed. She had reportedly expressed doubts about her competence while working in the lead armourer role for the first time on the Nicolas Cage movie The Old Way.

“You know, I was really nervous about it at first, and I almost didn’t take the job because I wasn’t sure if I was ready … but, doing it, like, it went really smoothly,” she said last month on a podcast, Voices of the West.

Sometimes people have imposter syndrome, and sometimes they’re actually imposters.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Basticle posted:

I got the J&J vaccine in April, only had some minor aches and joint pains,nothing some Advil couldn't take care of. I'm getting the Moderna booster Wednesday, should I expect it to kick my rear end?

No.

This is from the NIH study that CDC cited in issuing approval of mix & match boosters:

Look at the center left chart. The Moderna booster had zero recorded severe symptoms for J&J recipients. It’s a small study, only fifty‐three people with that combination, but Moderna booster now being offered is half the dose and ought to be less likely to give you grief.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
IDK it seems like the party shot is a victim, and that would be so even of the affirmative defense held.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

facialimpediment posted:

And there ain't poo poo that the kids with half a functioning brain can do to get the shot if their parents won't let them get it.

Sales of trench coats are going up.

Don’t make the mistake of investing in fake moustaches—they’re unnecessary when masks are in use.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Milo and POTUS posted:

There's something wrong with this dude like physically. I can't place my finger on it

If you look closely, he’s actually a piece of poo poo.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/MacFarlaneNews/status/1452964586408325122

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Zamujasa posted:

that cartoon is incredible

It’s incredible even by Valley’s own high standards.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

facialimpediment posted:

Broward County designed a poo poo ballot and Cunningham couldn't keep his dick in his pants, so we're stuck with Coal McRobberbarron and John McCain But Dumber

Star Trek: Voyager casting is ultimately responsible for a million Americans dying in a pandemic.

If Jeri Ryan doesn’t get the part, her divorce from Jack Ryan doesn’t happen in the way it did and end his candidacy for Senate, handing the race to Barack Obama.

With no Obama presidency, there’s no Trump presidency.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

You can get flu and COVID booster at the same time? I swear during the first round there was a questionnaire that asked if I’d had any other vaccines recently, which implies to me I’m not supposed to mix

Yes and yes.

The guidance was, at one time, “no other vaccines within fourteen days”.

Now it’s acceptable to give the coronavirus vaccines at the same time as other routine vaccinations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Bored As gently caress posted:

Hell yeah gonna go get a Moderna booster. I had Pfizer for 1 and 2, but I heard that mixing a Moderna one gives you more protection than if you just get a Pfizer booster. Anyone know anything about that?

We don’t really know. It’s unlikely to be worse than getting a Pfizer booster, but it’s hard to say that it’s really better.

The NIH study that CDC cited in approving mix & match boosters found higher neutralizing antibody titers in participants who got Moderna boosters.

So that’s great, but there are a few things about that.

This was a relatively small study, only about fifty people per combination. Also, these are just antibody titers. While there is a very reasonable presumption that more antibodies in the average person imply fewer people getting sick, or better outcomes for those who do, we would of course prefer to see results in the field.

The final and perhaps most important note is that this study used boosters with one hundred micrograms of the active ingredient, same as shot one and two of the primary series. Moderna’s booster trial, and the dose that has been approved for general administration, is half that, fifty micrograms.

Now that’s still more than Pfizer’s dose has ever been (thirty micrograms), but you do get into issues of apples versus oranges. The Moderna and Pfizer mRNA sequences produce structurally indistinguishable proteins, but they use different code to get there. For example, one strand of mRNA can use cellular machinery to make many spikes. Maybe Pfizer’s squeeze out more spikes per strand. Their lipid nanoparticle formulas are proprietary and unique. Maybe Pfizer’s is a relative force multiplier, giving their mRNA strands a better shot at penetrating cellular defenses and doings its job.

Maybe these things bridge the microgram gap. Maybe they widen it. We don’t have enough data to say.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Oct 28, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Take his money, build dorm, watch it go up in a mysterious fire before students move in, collect insurance money, build new dorm of liveable design.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Build the “dormitory”, then operate it as a very secure library.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Notahippie posted:

This billionaire sounds like a loving weirdo. I'm getting real "human centipede but for buildings" obsessed scientist vibes.

Epstein, too, had some loving weird ideas about social engineering, in addition to the whole child sex trafficking thing.