Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
Not all dinos and ancient animals were majestic - some were ugly, weird, and goofy.

Today I learned about the existence of the Hyperodapedon -

Look at it.

I'll bet it made 'herp herp herp" noises as it scuttled -

Artist's rendition of this doofy thing -

Learn more about this stabby-faced rat prototype here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperodapedon

Share ancient animals that make you laugh and/or cringe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boner M
Sep 21, 2021

by Hand Knit

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
That Spore critter won't last one generation where even is the mouth.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
probably its rear end, makes things very simple

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Australia had the goofiest mega fauna:

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

I'm in this pic and I don't like it.

Anyway, here's the Chalicothere. aka the gorilla horse -

They're actual horses, but they have bones like this -

"Chalicotheres (from Greek chalix, "gravel" and therion, "beast") are an extinct clade of herbivorous, odd-toed ungulate (perissodactyl) mammals that lived in North America, Eurasia, and Africa from the Middle Eocene until the Early Pleistocene, existing from 46.2 mya to 781,000 years ago. They are one of the five major radiations of perissodactyls, with three groups living (horses, plus the extinct paleotheres; rhinoceroses; tapirs), and two extinct (brontotheres and chalicotheres).[3]"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chalicothere

They're big, too -

Here's a guy riding a gorilla horse, which is badass. Cavemen were more advanced than we thought.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Shringasaurus looks like those "dinosaurs" from the low-budget 60's films that were just ordinary lizards with fins and horns glued on them (slurpasaurs)

Cadmiel
Sep 29, 2006

Sharovipteryx makes me strangely uncomfortable.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
So is it down to chance that rear-leg-wing-creatures are really rare? Or does it kind of suck as body form (beyond being really unsettling somehow)?

Cotylorynchus!
An early Permian synapsid that grew to five metres long. It's one of those dreadful-looking creatures that makes you suspect the palaeontologists got something badly wrong somewhere. I don't know what it's for.

Tree Bucket has a new favorite as of 05:12 on Oct 2, 2021

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I will never not laugh at that guy because of this

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

The Bloop posted:

I will never not laugh at that guy because of this

Imagine the slapping noises when this thing runs on the ground

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Atopodentatus. It apparently ate algae, probably in a really dumb way.

Tree Bucket posted:

Cotylorynchus!
An early Permian synapsid that grew to five metres long. It's one of those dreadful-looking creatures that makes you suspect the palaeontologists got something badly wrong somewhere. I don't know what it's for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXXVvsxEGkc

Cadmiel
Sep 29, 2006

Tree Bucket posted:

So is it down to chance that rear-leg-wing-creatures are really rare? Or does it kind of suck as body form (beyond being really unsettling somehow)?

Sharovipteryx was a glider only, probably evolved from a lizard with long hind legs for climbing trees. Having the wings on the hind legs makes a triangle like a delta wing aircraft, like the Concorde, which seems* less efficient for low-speed flight? Like if you didn't have significant thrust and you weren't starting a glide from a high altitude, it seems like it would be too top heavy to fly for very far before pitching headfirst into the ground.

*NOT AN ENGINEER*

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

same

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The extinct giant lemur Megaladapis was roughly human sized but was tailless and had a squat body shaped like a koala, a big chunky head that had a jaw like a cow, a nasal cavity like a rhino, vampire-like canine teeth and bugged-out eyes on the side of the skull.

Modern artistic recreations have not been kind to this species

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tree Bucket posted:

Cotylorynchus!

..... and pushing things in the opposite direction was the Triassic archosauriform reptile Erythrosuchus

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
Small heads? Big heads?

How about Mononychus and his Itty bitty teeny tiny arms -

Artist rendition -

Very small - good for pets it you don't mind bites.

And also POTENTIALLY VERY VERY CUTE.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

..... and pushing things in the opposite direction was the Triassic archosauriform reptile Erythrosuchus

So, like... I get that this guy and Cotylorynchus are completely different kinds of animals from different geological periods, but are we completely sure that nobody accidentally swapped the skulls on these bad boys?

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Knormal posted:

It apparently ate algae, probably in a really dumb way.

e: this is also my face when I forget how to eat bananas.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Elephants had the dumbest evolution:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

lol at all these creatures

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
This thread is a delight.
I'm not sure why these creatures are so wrong-looking. Is it because they're unfamiliar? Is it because the artists have messed up a bit (c.f. shrinkwrapped dinosaurs?) Is it because they have genuinely useless body shapes? Or all three??

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Although I'm pretty sure that's just a mislabelled bull terrier skeleton.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

Tree Bucket posted:

This thread is a delight.

:kimchi:

You know what sucks? FLEAS!

You know what's worse? DINO FLEAS!!!

They had LONG LEGS

And HUGE STABBERS

And they were much too large.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

I cannot stop laughing at the incredible gently caress-upedness of this extinct animal.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
There's a thought- cotylorhynchus is a very bulky herbivore with a short neck and huge nostril openings in the skull.
Sound familliar? Maybe it had a trunk!?

Cadmiel
Sep 29, 2006

Chiromyoides, an early primate (~55 mya) or a mutated nightmare raccoon.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tree Bucket posted:

There's a thought- cotylorhynchus is a very bulky herbivore with a short neck and huge nostril openings in the skull.
Sound familliar? Maybe it had a trunk!?

Every few years someone tries to argue that Brachiosaurs might have had trunks and the results are always delightfully dorksome

This weird-rear end diprotodontoid from earlier in the thread actually went the other way:

Paleontologists assumed it had a trunk when it was first discovered because of it's fukken weird skull:

..... but more recent reconstructions did away with the trunk which makes it look even dumber imho:

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 03:53 on Oct 4, 2021

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

This is Cyclotosaurus. Part of a family of animals thought to be part of the distant ancestors of all modern amphibians and filled with some of the weirdest looking bastards you are ever going to see.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
Love to bodyshame these goofy extinct fucks

Just look at this thing. No wonder it's dead.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
How about Jeholopterus, whose discovered remains include the "exquisite preservation of carbonized skin fibers and pycnofibres. The fibers are preserved around the body of the specimen in a 'halo.' Wing tissue is preserved..." resulting in artist renditions getting real bold with the weird cross-section of "lizard" and "squirrel", including:

and

and even

Cream-of-Plenty has a new favorite as of 16:07 on Oct 4, 2021

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
I've been looking for this thing!!!
One the most perfect preserved animals we have and it's not something cool, it's this weird little biting eyeball thing.
It's like millions of years from now our descendents will find the most perfectly preserved modern animal and it's a gopher.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

oh dope posted:

"I think we've reached maximum amount of teeth.."
"MORE TEETH!"
"...but they won't fit in the mouth.."
"MORE TEETH:byodood:"
"...okay.."

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

oh dope posted:

That thing has seen things.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

cant cook creole bream posted:

That thing has seen things.

Like it's own reflection.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset

Alhazred posted:

Elephants had the dumbest evolution:

I can't be the only one who thinks scoop-nose elephant is frightening as gently caress? Like objectively it's throat isn't that wide but the giant pig tusks and scoop jaws coming at me with that huge body and stompy feet is scary as hell. Like if someone gave an alligator some stilts, an extra 1000 pounds and a speed boost and then said "have at it".

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Imagine the slapping noises when this thing runs on the ground

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

empty sea posted:

Like if someone gave an alligator some stilts, an extra 1000 pounds and a speed boost and then said "have at it".

Oh they hand long legged 'galloping' crocodyliforms as well, such as the kaprosuchus which was maybe 20 feet in length and had ridiculous tusk-like teeth:

They also had colossal crocs the size of a bus such as the deinosuchus which was about 30 to 40 feet long and weighed 5 to 8 tons (there's been a LOT of arguments over its size, they usually only find the skull and have to guesstimate the rest):

But this thread is for weird-rear end ugly critters so here's laganosuchus whose name translates as "the pancake crocodile":

.... and the dog-sized anataosuchus whose name translates as "duck crocodile":

A real life crocoduck!

.... and the armadillosuchus whose name means ..... well, I'm sure you can figure that one out on your own

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 09:24 on Oct 6, 2021

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

A crocodile with a safety helmet! That's the dorkiest animal yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
My favorite ancient animals are pterosaurs.

Just look at these things. They're alien crazy. it's like a buffet of weird.

Tag yourself.

Edit - Oh poo poo, a gif of Quetzalcoatlus, one of the scariest animals that ever lived -

Mr.Chill has a new favorite as of 10:39 on Oct 6, 2021