Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mr.Chill posted:

Edit - Oh poo poo, a gif of Quetzalcoatlus, one of the scariest animals that ever lived

Everything about them was just so ridiculous, I love them so much

There were a whole range of these terrifying lanky bastards:

https://www.deviantart.com/somedeviantartist/art/Largest-Pterosaurs-876091479?comment=1%3A876091479%3A4922721853

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 11:20 on Oct 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
Quetzalcoatlus was amazing, probably my favorite ancient animal ever.
Still terrifying, tho.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Alhazred posted:

A crocodile with a safety helmet! That's the dorkiest animal yet.

Even in the late Cretaceous, OSHA was still around.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Could quetzelcoatlas actually fly? It looks really unlikely.
It's one of those species that makes me wonder if the Cretaceous had ecological niches that simply don't exist anymore, or at least we're really underestimating how weird nature can get.
Maybe quetzalcoatlas soared around, descending onto sauropod nests to feed. Maybe in that oxygen-rich atmosphere, it was able to run really freakin fast, or evaded predators by shrieking ultrasonically at them. Maybe it floated swanlike around continent-spanning knee-deep lakes. Maybe maybe maybe.

Tree Bucket has a new favorite as of 13:15 on Oct 6, 2021

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tree Bucket posted:

The paleontological world has been strenuously debating this question for over 40 years now. :v:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Man, that reminds me of all of the bizarre sea creatures that the ocean spawned, like Opabinia here:

Not two, not eight, but five eyes, a single, long trunk/tentacle with a clawed "grasper" at the end, and a mouth that didn't even have the decency to be located in the same place (apparently it was under the creature's "head"). When I think of cosmic horror and pulp sci-fi creatures that didn't settle for "little green men", I think of things that look a lot like this dummy.

Its cousin, Anomalocaris, at least went for the more relatable "two eyes, two 'arms'" model, despite still looking like a googly-eyed freak in the end:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The best part of it is that it's name is Hallucigenia because the paleontologists didn't know what the gently caress it was. It took some time to realize what was legs and what was just weird back spines.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Here's a great list of fuckin' weird prehistoric creature names: https://www.neatorama.com/2007/02/19/the-worlds-strangest-dinosaur-names/

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Here's a great list of fuckin' weird prehistoric creature names: https://www.neatorama.com/2007/02/19/the-worlds-strangest-dinosaur-names/

LAPUTAVIS
The promiscuous dinosaur.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

I always have to double-check the source when there's weird gigantic protrusions coming off of a prehistoric reconstruction, because of that one jackwagon who took grainy pre-existing photos of dinosaur fossils in matrix, and ran them through a sharpen filter a few times, and declared the jpeg artifacts were heretofore undiscovered soft tissue structures

But apparently longisquama (this fellow) really was just kinda like this

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Phy posted:

I always have to double-check the source when there's weird gigantic protrusions coming off of a prehistoric reconstruction, because of that one jackwagon who took grainy pre-existing photos of dinosaur fossils in matrix, and ran them through a sharpen filter a few times, and declared the jpeg artifacts were heretofore undiscovered soft tissue structures

David Peters! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Peters_(paleoartist)

Here's some fun articles about his bullshit:
https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/tetrapod-zoology/world-must-ignore-reptileevolution-com/
https://www.vice.com/en/article/vvb8kj/why-paleontologists-get-riled-up-over-this-heretical-pterosaur-concept-art

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Not two, not eight, but five eyes

Do you ever have a moment where you start thinking out loud about something confusing, then catch yourself saying the dumbest loving thing in the world? Because I was looking at this guy and busted out with "five eyes? Let's fuckin' do it! Five eyes!"

Mohawk Potato
Jan 15, 2008

The paleontological world has been strenuously debating this question for over 40 years now. :v:

The current popular belief is yes they can, here's a fun video from on of my favorite paleo you tubes that covers just that. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rVA9d_HCHM

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Antivehicular posted:

Do you ever have a moment where you start thinking out loud about something confusing, then catch yourself saying the dumbest loving thing in the world? Because I was looking at this guy and busted out with "five eyes? Let's fuckin' do it! Five eyes!"

Would you believe I did something very similar?

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

You may be excited to know some modern insects (mantis, vespids, dragonflies) have five eyes, two big compound and three tiny simple ones. Opabinia and modern Arthropoda have the same common ancestry to the best of our knowledge.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
Carnotaurus - useless flappy arms and a stubby snout

Unlike T-Rex, the arms of Carnotaurus and many other Abelisaurids probably were vestigial, and had lost or reduced bones in their arms and hands. They probably could wave the arms around a bit, but that's all.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
Weren't carnotaurus arm sockets really good at waving, too? Like those things had ridiculous range despite being vestigial? Imagining this mouth with legs running while twirling those nubs fills my heart with delight

Mohawk Potato
Jan 15, 2008

Mr.Chill posted:

Weren't carnotaurus arm sockets really good at waving, too? Like those things had ridiculous range despite being vestigial? Imagining this mouth with legs running while twirling those nubs fills my heart with delight

Yup also the socket was such that their arms at rest pointed back to their tail.

Carnotaurus
Feb 27, 2006

meat-eating bull

Hungry Computer posted:

Carnotaurus - useless flappy arms and a stubby snout

Unlike T-Rex, the arms of Carnotaurus and many other Abelisaurids probably were vestigial, and had lost or reduced bones in their arms and hands. They probably could wave the arms around a bit, but that's all.

:negative:

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Oh they hand long legged 'galloping' crocodyliforms as well, such as the kaprosuchus which was maybe 20 feet in length and had ridiculous tusk-like teeth:

They also had colossal crocs the size of a bus such as the deinosuchus which was about 30 to 40 feet long and weighed 5 to 8 tons (there's been a LOT of arguments over its size, they usually only find the skull and have to guesstimate the rest):

But this thread is for weird-rear end ugly critters so here's laganosuchus whose name translates as "the pancake crocodile":

.... and the dog-sized anataosuchus whose name translates as "duck crocodile":

A real life crocoduck!

.... and the armadillosuchus whose name means ..... well, I'm sure you can figure that one out on your own

Crocodylomorphs seldom get the recognition they deserve. People look at them today and think it represents something ancient and primitive just because the semi aquatic forms remain. When we’ve just lost a bunch of diversity and living crocodilians are not fully representive of past croc diversity. Heck, modern crocodilians are not particularly old (in line with modern mammal lineages) nor the first to go semi aquatic, but it proved to be a stable niche. The crocodylomorph clade eusuchia, one of few who survived the kt-extinction, and which all extant crocodilians belong to, stem from the Cretaceous, and crocodilians themselves diverged in late Cretaceous. By then marsupials and placentals had already diverged. The crocodilian body plan and semi aquatic habits go back to the jurassic Neosuchia, but the more basal crocodylomorph clades we know of were more terrestrial. The lounged walking and semi-aquatic lifestyle in a way are the more derived traits for that big group.

Many crocs had shorter snouts, could climb, more erect and gracile like greyhounds… some were fully marine with fin-like tails and legs. Some were insectivores and even a herbivore among them.

This is for example one of the most basal crocodylomorphs known:

Check out simosuchus for a cool herbivore crocomorph. Some of the more terrestrial Notosuchians or their sister group (the Sebecosuchians) even survived the KT-extinction alongside crocodilians, until the Miocene and were for a while the largest land predators, continuing to fill large predator niches since the Jurassic.

Makes me wonder what made the last sebecosuchians go extinct well after the KT since they’ve long been successful.

Here is Langstonia, one of the last sebecosuchians of the Miocene and thus the last non-crocodilian crocodylomorph.

And from the late Cretaceous, Simosuchus, a herbivore notosuchian pug-croc!

Falukorv has a new favorite as of 16:17 on Oct 8, 2021

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

https://twitter.com/FredtheDinoman/status/1432384588840677381

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
How about the Tully Monster (Tullimonstrum)?

A creature so drat weird that it has been variously classified as a mollusc, an arthropod, a conodont, a worm, and a vertebrate.

Carnotaurus
Feb 27, 2006

meat-eating bull

7c Nickel posted:

How about the Tully Monster (Tullimonstrum)?

A creature so drat weird that it has been variously classified as a mollusc, an arthropod, a conodont, a worm, and a vertebrate.

That is clearly a flamingo.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

diggin the new grass type starter.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Tree Bucket posted:

It's one of those species that makes me wonder if the Cretaceous had ecological niches that simply don't exist anymore, or at least we're really underestimating how weird nature can get.
Maybe quetzalcoatlas soared around, descending onto sauropod nests to feed. Maybe in that oxygen-rich atmosphere, it was able to run really freakin fast, or evaded predators by shrieking ultrasonically at them. Maybe it floated swanlike around continent-spanning knee-deep lakes. Maybe maybe maybe.
There's a theory that a fundamental difference in the way birds and pterosaurs were built that allowed pterosaurs to still be able to fly at much larger sizes. When birds take off from the ground they jump up with their hind legs, which are generally small and weak to keep their total weight down. Pterosaurs launched by pushing off with their front limbs, which were already big and well-developed by virtue of being their flight muscles. If a big bird developed big legs to allow it to launch off the ground, it'd be adding to its total weight, as well as devoting its body's resources away from its flight muscles to power the big legs. It's thought this limit on their ability to get off the ground is what has kept the largest flying birds in history about the size of a mid-sized pterosaur.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALziqtuLxBQ

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Man, that reminds me of all of the bizarre sea creatures that the ocean spawned, like Opabinia here:

Not two, not eight, but five eyes, a single, long trunk/tentacle with a clawed "grasper" at the end, and a mouth that didn't even have the decency to be located in the same place (apparently it was under the creature's "head"). When I think of cosmic horror and pulp sci-fi creatures that didn't settle for "little green men", I think of things that look a lot like this dummy.
This little guy's been making the rounds on paleontology blogs lately for some reason. Technically it had (at least) two eyes, but they grew into each other like Sonic the Hedgehog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3v-0G5u0Njo

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Like in many male species of flies.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

Better bring yer gun there are TERROR BIRDS afoot!

These are SCARY BIRBS!

These birds loved standing next to silhouettes of significantly smaller humans!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
They look like the Ginyu Force of birbs

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I'm pretty sure I had to shoot over this guy in mini golf once

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

This has to be one of those "whoops we forgot that skulls are covered in soft tissue" illustrations, right?

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Terror birds ignored the KT memo regarding who is to be top dog.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcqBtdwVQY4

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The toxodon was a boring basic-bitch hornless rhino thing which was completely uninteresting except for two facts: 1) Charles Darwin was one of the first people to collect toxodon fossils, paying a Uruguayan farmer 18 pence for a skull, and 2) it has some big-rear end novelty nerd teeth:

Since the teeth are pretty much the toxodon's only interesting physical feature a lot of the paleo art makes it look like a dumb goober nerd:

That photo comes from a hilariously rundown prehistoric animal sculpture park in Cordisburgo, Brazil
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Stones+Zoo/@-19.1221006,-44.3180069,343m/

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

The head off this one would make a great avatar.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pershing posted:

The head off this one would make a great avatar.

Toxxodon

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Congrats, South America. You managed to make saber toothed tigers look uncool.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

That guy draws a lot of weird-rear end paleo stuff: https://www.deviantart.com/sheather888/gallery

..... but this one seems to be based on actual conjecture that thylacosmilus' saber fangs might have been used to break open termite nests: https://www.reddit.com/r/Naturewasmetal/comments/hi2co9/thylacosmilus_was_really_really_weird/