Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
I was looking up more weird critters and discovered a Korean toy series called Dino Mecard Tiny Saur that's a collection of unusual ancient animas in cute mini form and I want them so drat bad -

Babies!!!!

Mr.Chill has a new favorite as of 16:27 on Oct 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Those look very Korean.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Dead pigs!! There are a lot of extinct mammals in the Suidae family who are close relatives of modern pigs and some of the looked pretty weird.

Celebochoerus fossils have been found in the Philippines and Sulawesi and it had massive stonkin' tusks:

Megalochoerus weren't all that distinctive except for the fact that they were gigantic, with M. humungous standing 2.2m tall and weighing a ton:

Kubanochoerus were unicorns

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Holy poo poo regular pigs are scary enough when they want to be

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Megalochoerus weren't all that distinctive except for the fact that they were gigantic, with M. humungous standing 2.2m tall and weighing a ton:

I choose to interpret that name in the French fashion.
"Monsieur Humungous"

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

While I’m sad we don’t live in an era with giant rideable pigs I’m also glad we don’t. When it comes to wild animals I fear running into a wild boar more than anything

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

McGavin posted:

Those look very Korean.

Whoops, you're right.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

While I’m sad we don’t live in an era with giant rideable pigs I’m also glad we don’t. When it comes to wild animals I fear running into a wild boar more than anything

I wonder if humans have taken over the giant pigs' ecological niche of "social omnivorous ever-hungry murderbeast"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Astrapotheres were an extinct order of South American ungulates who probably looked like a cross between elephants and tapirs (although not closely related to either). They're a great example of convergent evolution going "Eyyyyy we need a hippo/elephant thingy to fill a niche over here, throw some tusks and a trunk on a random chubby little thing and we'll call it good"

Astrapotherium looked like a little elephant with vampire teeth and boar tusks:

Granastrapotherium snorki was pretty much a bigger version of Astrapotherium (as the name suggests) with massive walrus-like tusks. Just look at this ridiculous thing:

Agricola Frigidus
Feb 7, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Holy poo poo regular pigs are scary enough when they want to be

Well, to be honest, selective breeding did a number even on existing fauna and flora. This article on depictions of medieval pigs in video games has more.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Speaking of dumb elephant things, the actual proboscidean order has obviously been super successful with all those massive mammoths and mastodons and the current extant elephant species but they weren't all winners. One early side branch of the proboscidea family tree was the Moeritherium, the shittiest elephant that ever lived

quote:

Moeritherium was a rotund semi-aquatic mammal with short, stubby legs that lived about 37-35 million years ago[1] Its body shape and lifestyle demonstrate convergent evolution with pigs, tapirs, and the pygmy hippopotamus. Moeritherium was smaller than most or all later proboscideans, standing only 70 centimetres (2.3 ft) high at the shoulder and weighing 235 kilograms (518 lb).[2] The shape of their teeth suggests that they ate soft water vegetation.

It was one of the most pathetic, nebbish, hyper-nerdy creatures to ever walk the surface of this planet. Just look at how lovely it was:

You can't help but assume that the other Eocene creatures beat it up and stole its lunch money

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I like to imagine it makes a noise like a squeeky toy when you poke it.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

quote:

Moeritherium was a rotund semi-aquatic mammal with short, stubby legs

so what's their username?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

so what's their username?

Semi-aquatic implies either frequent bathing or lack of a fear of water, essential to be an ancestor to the Goon. No, the '-therium' should have clued you in on the fact this is of the Bit Coinosaur genus

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

It looks so miserable.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
Buncha scrub creatures in this thread, it's great

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
(Reading Moeritherium description and seeing skeleton)

Well that doesn't seem so bad. Sounds kinda cute, actually.

(Sees recreations)

I'll bet he speaks only in 'herps' and 'derps'.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Mr.Chill posted:

Better bring yer gun there are TERROR BIRDS afoot!

These are SCARY BIRBS!

These birds loved standing next to silhouettes of significantly smaller humans!

lost a war to emus, god help you if you run into these things.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

uber_stoat posted:

lost a war to emus, god help you if you run into these things.

I wonder if you could have them as aviliary. Like cavalry but make it birb.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Terror birds were around for a super long time, 62 to 1.8 million years ago.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I bet the old school dino illustrators would've left the body fat off moetherium and made it look like a rad crocodile or something.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Josef bugman posted:

I wonder if you could have them as aviliary. Like cavalry but make it birb.

anyone who likes giant killer birds go read the Blacktongue Thief.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

This has made its way through most of the relevant threads, but for anyone who missed it:
https://twitter.com/sunshinechi1/status/1447595536635289606

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Knormal posted:

This has made its way through most of the relevant threads, but for anyone who missed it:

holy poo poo this delivers.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

You can't help but assume that the other Eocene creatures beat it up and stole its lunch money

This just looks like an elephant seal but still has the stubby legs. It’s a sometimes water puppy that could have absolutely pushed your poo poo in

Speaking of which

Knormal posted:

Thank you, I had NOT seen this. The slow approach as if it’s purposely trying to get the people to let their guard down; if it weren’t for thumbs and some extra wrinkly brains we’d be screwed as a species.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
That thing gets better every time I rewatch it. *pig screech* "Help me! Help! Help!" You'd think it was scripted.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

That thing gets better every time I rewatch it. *pig screech* "Help me! Help! Help!" You'd think it was scripted.

I believe 1994’s The Lion King demonstrated that warthogs can indeed read scripts.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

It's not like domesticated pigs won't gently caress you up if they're given the opportunity:
https://www-vg-no.translate.goog/ny...o&_x_tr_pto=nui

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
South Korea has a problem with wild boars wandering into restaurants and going bugfuck crazy, there's a bunch of videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkFcrszfOTI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7k1Pawy9GM

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I grew up in an area with a lot of feral pigs and while I don't want to go all "30-50 feral hogs," I do not envy having one of those fuckers come at you in a restaurant. They're comical until they rip your intestines out for fun.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
A boar killed one of my uncle’s hunting dogs once. He refuses to hunt them anymore because they’re so unpredictable.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

uber_stoat posted:

anyone who likes giant killer birds go read the Blacktongue Thief.

Ah, that's the same author as Between Two Fires, right? That loving owned.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Groke posted:

Ah, that's the same author as Between Two Fires, right? That loving owned.

hell yeah, Between Two Fires rules and so does Blacktongue.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Almost ran into a boar moving through tall reeds in a depressed wetland section of forest, and man. Boar was resting on a bed of reeds but just sprinted when i came face to face with it, a bit startling for me too. Most my encounters have been at a distance though which is pretty chill if both of us are aware of each other.

And once on a drive to my familys summer cottage one was resting on the country road basking in the spring sun, reluctantly getting up and moving to the side of the road when we approached. Took a picture from the car.
It was pretty far north, almost as far north as you could find them (in boreal central Sweden), a decade or so prior they probably didnt extend that far up.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Now for a change of pace, some dumbass sauropods!

Isisaurus ("isi-saurus" or ISI-lizard, named in honour of the Indian Statistical Institute) was a weird sauropod which had extremely tall neckbones and very long forelimbs:

...... which made it look like a weird fatnecked hyena-proportioned weirdo:

Brachytrachelopan was pretty much the opposite, a sauropod with a fairly typical body but a really short neck:

..... which made it look like a cartoony chubbo

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Almost need a thread devoted to the "human for scale" silhouettes in these pictures. We've got the pincer-fingered endomorph above, as well as guys slouching, guys standing pillar-straight, scuba divers, and at least one verging-on-mudflap-silhouette curvy lady.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tree Bucket posted:

Almost need a thread devoted to the "human for scale" silhouettes in these pictures. We've got the pincer-fingered endomorph above, as well as guys slouching, guys standing pillar-straight, scuba divers, and at least one verging-on-mudflap-silhouette curvy lady.

My favourite is this paleo artist who always uses a caveman of indeterminate height for scale, which is SUPER useful thanks!

Runner up is this paleo artist who I suspect is just photoshopping himself into all the pictures:

E: yeah that's definitely him :v:
https://www.facebook.com/UchytelRoman

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 05:50 on Oct 25, 2021

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

My favourite is this paleo artist who always uses a caveman of indeterminate height for scale, which is SUPER useful thanks!

Runner up is this paleo artist who I suspect is just photoshopping himself into all the pictures:

E: yeah that's definitely him :v:
https://www.facebook.com/UchytelRoman

There's a guy on Youtube, EDGE, who uses anime character silhouettes and it's a fun 'who's that pokemon' guessing game but with Jojo and Faye Valentine.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaqNKI6oCjlgI4aRV1ciqg

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

:thumbsup:

On a related note, sauropod front feet were weird as hell. They walked on their toetips like a hoofed animal, but they lost all their outside claws aside from one on their "thumb", that stuck out of a horrifying flesh tube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Knormal posted:

:thumbsup:

On a related note, sauropod front feet were weird as hell. They walked on their toetips like a hoofed animal, but they lost all their outside claws aside from one on their "thumb", that stuck out of a horrifying flesh tube.

I was happier not knowing about the sauropod flesh-tubes.