Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tampa Bae

Please, this is all I have
I ran out of podcasts to listen to and I didn't watch a ton of anime when I was a teenager so I started asking friends for recommendations for things and I got a lot of anime. I watched a lot. Here's what I saw in the last two weeks at work. talk about anime, recommend more anime, rate anime. Follow your heart.

Princess Mononoke: I saw it as a kid and thought "wow cool" and moved on with my life. I watched it again and it's my favorite animated movie now. 9.5/10

Your Name: My problem with Your Name is I kept asking "Why don't they just text each other" and then eventually I found out the ending way before it happened. As far as Romeo and Juliet-style movies I liked My Sassy Girl a lot better even though it's not an anime but for years I saw people saying this was the greatest love story ever told. It is really well animated and I started to like the insert song a whole lot after the third or fourth time I heard it. 8.5/10

FLCL: When I moved to America it was playing on cartoon network and I watched it and thought it was okay, I watched it again and I think it was an HD remake or something but another really well animated movie and had so many jokes per second. Really absurd and surreal and I watched the dub of this one and the voice actors were really good. The Pillows were a band I listened to independent of the anime too. 9/10

FLCL Alternative: A lot of this made me feel real nostalgic about just hanging out with friends when I was younger. Very cool slice of life stuff, not as balls to the wall as the original FLCL but I still really enjoyed it 8/10

FLCL Progressive: The headphones were cute and it was more of the spirit of the original FLCL but it didn't really pull me in. 7/10

Perfect Blue: I forgot this was an anime, it's such a great thriller. I ended up watching it again a day later because there were so many moments I thought "Wait, what?" the first time and wanted to re-contextualize the movie. I'll still pick Princess Mononoke over this movie but they're basically tied as my favorite animated movies. 9.5/10

K-On: I tuned most of it out tbh but the songs were really catchy and it reminded me a lot of my first friend group in High School in a guitar class where we decided to start a band with some kids from band class. 7/10 as a show but 8.5/10 for the music

Akira: I was way too young to see this as a kid and I'm not a huge fan of gore but it had a really good soundtrack. 8/10

Ghost in the Shell: I love futuristic stuff and this movie did it all really well. Certified classic. 9/10

Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex + 2nd Gig: This show actually caused me to get behind on my work for two day because I stopped working at all and when I got home I started the second season and stayed up all night. 2nd Gig has some really great (stand-alone) episodes that I think might be some of my favorite singular episodes of any show. 9.5/10

My Hero Academia: I actually started this months ago when someone told me I'd probably like this because I like Marvel movies. It took me a week to burn through the anime and in a long weekend I ended up reading the whole manga + the spinoff. It reminds me a whole lot of Dragon Ball and One Piece when I was a kid. I don't think it's a perfect story or anything I just think it hits my nostalgia. 8.5/10

3cm per Hour: I actually fell asleep twice at work trying to watch this movie

I moved from Japan to America when I was twelve and there was this group of other kids who thought I was the coolest person in the world from being from Japan so I was just really ashamed of my heritage for a long time because they were wearing naruto headbands to school and naruto running through the halls and I was having a hard enough time just trying to drop my accent without these white girls constantly "glomping" me when I was walking between classes so until really recently I just didn't watch anime at all.

But I think BYOB is a great community and I'm in my 30s now so it's safe to go back to anime, give me more recommendations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sherbert Hoover

Working hard, thank you!
My first experience with anime was watching the sci-fi channel for the first time at a rented beach house on vacation. I was maybe 11.

I might be confusing two different 80s anime movies, but all I remember was that it started on some planet (maybe Earth?) that was taken over Terminator-style by robot aliens who were hunting humans who survived by living in caves. Later in the movie, or perhaps in another movie entirely, a kid rides a train through space and has a lightsaber battle with a Darth Vader-like villain who turns out to be his father.

It was awesome.

this sig is protected by Simsmagic!

hot cocoa on the couch

i never really liked anime much and in fact, may have been described as an anime hater, but my older daughter who is now 6 seems to enjoy anime stuff a lot so in the interest of being a good father i've been trying to enjoy some anime with her. we've watched a bunch of studio ghibli and there hasn't been one i disliked so far. my favourite so far has been nausicaa of the valley of the wind :3:

https://i.imgur.com/W7qTiB3.mp4

a LEGENDARY sig by the LEGENDARY LAP

Tampa Bae

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

i never really liked anime much and in fact, may have been described as an anime hater, but my older daughter who is now 6 seems to enjoy anime stuff a lot so in the interest of being a good father i've been trying to enjoy some anime with her. we've watched a bunch of studio ghibli and there hasn't been one i disliked so far. my favourite so far has been nausicaa of the valley of the wind :3:
I'm getting a whole new appreciation for Studio Ghibli and Miyazaki movies as an adult. My Niece really, REALLY loves Little Witch Academia and she's around that age so try and show her some of that with Kiki's Delivery Service thrown in for good measure

French Accent

i've only now decided to watch jojo and finished part 1, not sure what to think of it yet but from what i've heard, part 3 is where i should like it or hate it?

OP if you haven't watched tokyo godfathers yet, you should. made by the same person who did perfect blue, but much more light hearted.

sb hermit

Laid Back Camp (aka yurucamp) is, in my opinion, very kid friendly and slice-of-life but has a slow pace and zero tension. The first episode, if not the first few, are good indications of what the rest of the series will be. Flying Witch is also a slice of life with a similar pace.

I've yet to watch more than the first episode of k-on but hey, I hear it's mindless fun so maybe I should pick it up.

sb hermit

French Accent posted:

i've only now decided to watch jojo and finished part 1, not sure what to think of it yet but from what i've heard, part 3 is where i should like it or hate it?

OP if you haven't watched tokyo godfathers yet, you should. made by the same person who did perfect blue, but much more light hearted.

I've watched part 1 and 2 and they were decent. I would say Part 2 is more in the vein of the kind of stuff that Part 1 was. I've watched a part of part 3 and it's good so far. Part 3 introduces Stands which supposedly play an outsized part in the rest of the series.

sb hermit

French Accent posted:

also, I forgot to say that Tokyo Godfathers is the best christmas movie. Better than Die Hard, Scrooged, or Love Actually.

Percy Teatwillow

let us go out this evening for pleasure, for the night is still young
I watched Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood for the first time about a year ago and I can safely say that it’s extremely good. I’m typically not an anime person but holy cow, you gotta watch FMA.

I also loved Cowboy Bebop fwiw

THANK U Heather Papps !!

Gluehead posted:

i met snow at a restaurant once and i was like 'man, informer is a really good song!' and he just looked up from the bowl of french onion soup he was eating, mouthed the words 'gently caress off' and then he gave me the finger twice with boths hands, then crossed the two fingers to make a cross and aimed it at me
Tiny Myers

say hello to my little friend

I don't watch anime much these days but I really enjoyed the original Madoka Magica. Haven't watched any of the movies or what have you, just really liked the original anime for being a solid, short thing, and I'd recommend it if you're okay with watching something about magical girls. There's no fanservice that I remember. It's like 11 episodes and blows by fast as gently caress.

There's plenty of legitimate criticisms to be had such as the whole (spoilers for the general conceit of Madoka) adult men unnecessarily turning something that young girls like into something "grimdark" and treating the source material as unrealistically bright and happy, or acting like it's untread ground in general when magical girl anime has definitely gone into dark territory on its own in the past - see, like, all of Sailor Moon's friends being dead on the ground in front of her, et cetera - which I absolutely agree with. But even with that in mind I just thought it was neat, artistically and in general. :shobon:

I really liked the message at the end of (big spoilers!! it's the end of the series!!) Madoka saying that the world doesn't need to be cruel and that you can literally reinvent it and make a better one, and the implication that the post-Madoka world is the one we see in other magical girl anime - one where magical girls still exist, but don't need to die for it. So while the whole thing was "grimdark", the positive note it ended on was worth it for me.

From a much different genre, Azumanga Daioh is one that's really classic too if you like humor and slapstick. I think some bits of it probably didn't age great (like the perverted teacher) but there's so many bits that stick in my head a decade later.

Thank you How Wonderful! for the autumn sig!

sb hermit

Tiny Myers posted:

From a much different genre, Azumanga Daioh is one that's really classic too if you like humor and slapstick. I think some bits of it probably didn't age great (like the perverted teacher) but there's so many bits that stick in my head a decade later.

The creepy teacher, who only shows up a few times but still dominates the scenes he's in, makes it harder for me to suggest Azumanga Daioh as a blanket recommendation (it's the same reason why I can't suggest Dragon Maid). But for people who are able to brush it off, the rest of the show is pretty gold.

A more recent take on the concept (short form skits packed into standard length episodes depicting slice of life of high school girls) is Nichijou. I haven't watched all of it but what I saw is pretty funny.

Tiny Myers

say hello to my little friend

sb hermit posted:

The creepy teacher, who only shows up a few times but still dominates the scenes he's in, makes it harder for me to suggest Azumanga Daioh as a blanket recommendation (it's the same reason why I can't suggest Dragon Maid). But for people who are able to brush it off, the rest of the show is pretty gold.

A more recent take on the concept (short form skits packed into standard length episodes depicting slice of life of high school girls) is Nichijou. I haven't watched all of it but what I saw is pretty funny.

I liked Dragon Maid too. The concept of a nerdass office lady just having a fun gay monster girlfriend at home and raising their cute monster daughter is such a nice one, but then they soil it with a bunch of weird and bad crap. :negative:

Thank you How Wonderful! for the autumn sig!

sb hermit

Tiny Myers posted:

I liked Dragon Maid too. The concept of a nerdass office lady just having a fun gay monster girlfriend at home and raising their cute monster daughter is such a nice one, but then they soil it with a bunch of weird and bad crap. :negative:

:smith:

At any rate! I agree that Dragon Maid is good if not for the issue of Lucoa being overly and inappropriately affectionate to her summoner.

Another show in a similar vein is the older (if 2000s anime is older) Aria, and Flying Witch. Very chill, and a lot of the show consists of worldbuilding to show how Mars turned into Venice (for Aria) or how Witches integrated into Japanese society (for Flying Witch).

If you liked Ghost in the Shell for its worldbuilding and action, then you may like Read or Die.

If you like racing with the anime turned up to 11, then you may like Redline.

If you already have access to streaming platforms like Netflix or Crunchyroll, let us know in case there's something that might be worth consideration but is more of a hit or miss than what's suggested above.

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

The only good anime is Patlabor 2, but nobody has seen it.

sb hermit

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

Streaming sites still don't have some of the older franchises that I want to watch, like Overman King Gainer, Patlabor, and Macross.

Although I did get to binge watch the first 100 or so episodes of Galaxy Express 999 on Crunchyroll.

Sherbert Hoover

Working hard, thank you!

i tried twice but i fell asleep both times which is kinda win/win when you think about it

this sig is protected by Simsmagic!

Lock

hardcore sound gets you hypah

if you like heroy stuff but also growing old and dealing with that stuff Tiger and Bunny is much much better than the name implies.

If you wanna chill and be reminded of you emo college years (maybe that’s just me) Honey and Clover is great.

Funniest I watched are Cromartie High and Nichijou.

https://giant.gfycat.com/ThoseAcrobaticCapybara.webm
so much love to vanisher for the winter '21 sig!

huge love to Tiny Myers for the fall '21 sig!

sb hermit

Sherbert Hoover posted:

i tried twice but i fell asleep both times which is kinda win/win when you think about it

Alternatively, if you want to be confused as all hell and uncontrollably sleepy, then watch dot hack sign.

sb hermit

Lock posted:

if you like heroy stuff but also growing old and dealing with that stuff Tiger and Bunny is much much better than the name implies.

If you wanna chill and be reminded of you emo college years (maybe that’s just me) Honey and Clover is great.

Funniest I watched are Cromartie High and Nichijou.

selamat pagi!

Lock

hardcore sound gets you hypah

sb hermit posted:

selamat pagi!

selamat malam

https://giant.gfycat.com/ThoseAcrobaticCapybara.webm
so much love to vanisher for the winter '21 sig!

huge love to Tiny Myers for the fall '21 sig!

sb hermit

Lock posted:

selamat malam

:swoon:

Moo Cowabunga

[Office Worker.

last week I watched no anime and I expect that to be the same for the coming week.

my eldest daughter likes cardcaptors at the moment. that’s my anime story thanks op

Platinum User Pot Smoke Phoenix!

VANISHER

HEATHER PAPPS

https://giant.gfycat.com/WellgroomedImperfectHaddock.webm the vanisher

biosterous

sb hermit posted:

also, I forgot to say that Tokyo Godfathers is the best christmas movie. Better than Die Hard, Scrooged, or Love Actually.

:haibrower:

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

biosterous

paranoia agent is Good and Weird

also v much thank you to sb hermit for the recommendations that are similar to laid-back camp, because that show is chill and i would like to watch similar things yes thank you

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

sb hermit

biosterous posted:

paranoia agent is Good and Weird

also v much thank you to sb hermit for the recommendations that are similar to laid-back camp, because that show is chill and i would like to watch similar things yes thank you

:toot:

xcheopis

I prefer lighter stuff. I've watched the darker animes and while the ones I've watched were pretty good, they just aren't my style. Although, I do like some shows with darker arcs mixed with a lot of lighter stuff and humour and with a positive ending. Soul Eater, for example, although the "girls in short skirt uniforms" will never stop bothering me.
I finished the first season of Cells At Work an just started Dragon Goes House-Hunting and it's pretty good so far. Also, anything Studio Ghibli; I think I've watched My Neighbors The Yamadas five times this year alone.

sb hermit posted:

also, I forgot to say that Tokyo Godfathers is the best christmas movie. Better than Scrooged...

Heresy!

Fifteen years taking prescriptions
Now a shrink like, "I dunno, maybe get a kitten"

IGgy IGsen

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
I watched Pop Team Epic, explaining my new sig.

It was great to kill some time when you needed to, but now I've seen all the episodes and it's sad.

itry

If you like science fiction, op, maybe check out Planetes. I think it's the last anime that I actually found engaging.

Edit: I had a few years where I was looking for new stories to experience and didn't mind sifting through random anime. I don't do it anymore because most of it bores me or is cringey af.

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

itry posted:

If you like science fiction, op, maybe check out Planetes. I think it's the last anime that I actually found engaging.

Edit: I had a few years where I was looking for new stories to experience and didn't mind sifting through random anime. I don't do it anymore because most of it bores me or is cringey af.

Planetes was excellent right up until the very end where it got unbearably weird and sexist. Almost perfect right up to that, though.

itry

I don't remember anything like that, but I watched it about 8 years ago.

Tampa Bae

I finished the last half of Sonny Boy after starting the first half of it last week. Really good animation, really really good soundtrack but I don't like those types of shows Intentionally ambiguous, somewhat nihilistic, and flat/unsatisfying endings

I still think it's worth watching, especially the first half

Planetes was excellent right up until the very end where it got unbearably weird and sexist. Almost perfect right up to that, though.
I'll give it a try along with Paranoia Agent. I think I might've seen some of it (or maybe even all of it) when I was younger but I don't remember much outside of an episode or two and the ending so I could've only seen three episodes

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Y'all should watch some animes, they are okay, but generally I only rec stuff once I know what people like.

For pretty much everybody in the thread you should check out Mushishi, which is adapted from an award winning manga and both visually and audibly fantastic, and the stories are really great in it, highly recommended

I also will suggest Land of the Lustrous and just go into it cold

Ping Pong the Animation is great and not too long, and has a unique style since it is by Masaaki Yuasa

I liked watching shows as a social activity in the past and used to do it every night with some chums online. We'd load up 3 or 4 shows and press play and chat while we were all watching a thing happen before simulwatching took off. We did that for several years and programmed our own blocks based on different themes and such and then also talked more long form about a series after we finished it, but as things go with seasons of our lives we all got on with it and now we don't do that anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

French Accent

ok jojo part 2 starts off with a bang. in two episodes i was on the edge of my seat more times than the entirety of part 1, that is to say more than once.

i can only guess that it goes bonkers from here on