Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Thermos H Christ posted:

lmao Jimbo Fisher had 7 years left on his 10 year fully guaranteed $7.5m a year contract before this season and A&M gave him an extension back to 10 years and a raise to $9m a year.

Were they worried that recruits wouldn’t want to commit to a coach who might be gone in 7 years? Was someone else waiting in the wings to give him a 10 year $90m contract if A&M didn’t?

:lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

boop the snoot posted:

It’s very obvious and not hard at all to tell that Emory isnt good enough and won’t get us out of the East, regardless of penalties.

Look, it’s not necessary for your QB to throw passes more than 5 yards upfield.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Troy Queef posted:

Don't know how much of that is on the D-coord, don't know how much of it is on the talent (or lack thereof), but one thing's for certain, Luther Burden (star WR recruit from ESTL, who everyone thought was going to Mizzou) will be playing SEC East football, all right...in silver britches, mark my words.

It’s got to be 90% Defensive coaching. Our Total Defense rank is 127 in FBS. People behind us are UMASS, FIU, and Arkansas State. We have to have better talent than that cluster of teams on the whole.

Since other than yesterday’s game we were competitive in the other two down to the wire, I’m going to say it’s coaching and then the wheels came off the motivation yesterday.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Is Wake Forest seriously a top 20 team? This doesn't feel real.

Yes. Yes they are.

Deacs, bitch!

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

LeeMajors posted:

Look, it’s not necessary for your QB to throw passes more than 5 yards upfield.

Can he transfer? It worked out for Grier and Brissett. I still get surprised when I hear Brissett’s name on Sundays.

This just ain’t the spot for Emory if he has any lofty football goals, though.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

boop the snoot posted:

Can he transfer? It worked out for Grier and Brissett. I still get surprised when I hear Brissett’s name on Sundays.

I mean, any season goals are over—just saddle up Richardson and let it ride.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

boop the snoot posted:

Literally every qb that transferred lit it up for other schools during our QB hellscape post Meyer except maybe Treon Harris

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Mega64 posted:

Vols Bitch

That’s right

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

vyst posted:

Literally every qb that transferred lit it up for other schools during our QB hellscape post Meyer except maybe Treon Harris

Also every big time recruit who committed then signed elsewhere. Snead. Corral.

Sir Thats Gross
May 27, 2006

Mega64 posted:

Vols Bitch

Came here to say this. Hoping to be off next weekend so I can watch us taking on the Fightin’ Shane Beamers

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Roasted Donut posted:

PSU shut Indiana out for the first time since Michigan did it in 2000. That's a real long time.

The offense has a lot of warts still but has room for growth but the defense is a pleasure to watch. The total loving rock fight between #3 vs. #4 next week is going to be terrible and also bad rear end

PSU is not gonna have Saquon Barkley turning into superman to single handidly win this game. I feel like Iowa is definitely the favorite, but I feel it will come down to how many interceptions Clifford throws.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

vyst posted:

I hate to ruin the kid and bench him for the rest of his college career because he can’t perform at such a high profile school. That’s the vibe I get. It just seems like he has zero confidence. And the play calling seems like it has zero confidence in him as well.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Penn state Iowa is a great game for me to poop on because big ten is poop from a butt

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

drat Dirty Ape posted:

PSU is not gonna have Saquon Barkley turning into superman to single handidly win this game. I feel like Iowa is definitely the favorite, but I feel it will come down to how many interceptions Clifford throws.

True, Jahan Dotson can't throw the ball to himself. I'd be okay with him trying though.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I'm going to assume that Michigan loses to Penn State and Ohio State until they don't, but hey 5-0 is pretty neat. Apparently that was their first win in Cam Randall since 2001?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Hopefully we’re done with Big Noon Saturdays that are just Wisconsin playing like poo poo in a marquee matchup.

Also Jayden Reed is extremely good at football.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

OU's Soviet style bend-don't-break defense isn't going to be able to hold Bijan next week. Thinking the Nazis will finally take Stalingrad.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Nothing is funnier than Texas A&M signing Jimbo Fisher to an un-necessary extension and then seeing him lose to Miss State

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
Looking up stats from last night, Kentucky held Florida to 150 yards below their season average in rushing. Florida also ran 71 plays to Kentucky's 45, so Mullen's total yards brag looks even stupider. They're not putting up big numbers for sacks or turnovers, but this defense is really really good.

The offense is doing just enough so far, but there was only one really good sustained drive last night. But, only one turnover, so that's an improvement.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
During Japanese football I started wondering if you could watch like 40 straight hours of football by going college -> Japan -> Germany -> NFL. I found the German league but they had their playoffs this weekend so this was the last opportunity for such a feat for the year.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

Looking up stats from last night, Kentucky held Florida to 150 yards below their season average in rushing. Florida also ran 71 plays to Kentucky's 45, so Mullen's total yards brag looks even stupider. They're not putting up big numbers for sacks or turnovers, but this defense is really really good.

The offense is doing just enough so far, but there was only one really good sustained drive last night. But, only one turnover, so that's an improvement.

One turnover that special teams REALLY saved UK's rear end on.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

LeeMajors posted:

I mean, any season goals are over—just saddle up Richardson and let it ride.

EJ is another great Tyler Murphy style athlete who lacks the pocket presence of a real QB.

At this point (unless they're afraid of him getting hurt) I don't see why you wouldn't use Richardson. He's the future. At least, there's more of a chance of future success than EJ. Who knows what juggernaut QB Mullen might still be able to recruit.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

LLCoolJD posted:

EJ is another great Tyler Murphy style athlete who lacks the pocket presence of a real QB.

At this point (unless they're afraid of him getting hurt) I don't see why you wouldn't use Richardson. He's the future. At least, there's more of a chance of future success than EJ. Who knows what juggernaut QB Mullen might still be able to recruit.

Mullen is committed to his QB development system. He likes bringing dudes along gradually like this.

I’d be shocked if ARich starts this year unless Emory Jones gets hurt.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Ehud posted:

Mullen is committed to his QB development system. He likes bringing dudes along gradually like this.

I’d be shocked if ARich starts this year unless Emory Jones gets hurt.

In that case this season is pain. 7-5 isn't unrealistic. Depends how focused the offense is when they go to Baton Rouge and Columbia.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

One assumes Kirby still has a stiffy after the way that UGA game went down. Dominate the other team physically for the first 10 minutes, then put it in park the rest of the day because the other guys can't do anything about it. Stetson threw a total of 11 passes, completed 7, had his customary 2 dumb throws per game but otherwise gave the ball to the RBs and got out of the way.

I really wish JT would get healthy but UGA could probably win some games with me under center, given that defense.

e:

same, buddy

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

gameday is heading to dallas next weekend

i guess one trip to iowa was plenty for them (also fox has that game)

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

LLCoolJD posted:

In that case this season is pain. 7-5 isn't unrealistic. Depends how focused the offense is when they go to Baton Rouge and Columbia.

For whatever reason I’m not that torn up about this year. I think it’s because 8ish wins was my expectation before the season started.

You know what hit me this morning though? It’s too bad our defense wasn’t this decent last year or we might have won the whole thing.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

that feeling when you got more yards than the other team

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

G-Hawk posted:

gameday is heading to dallas next weekend

i guess one trip to iowa was plenty for them (also fox has that game)

Please no one let Corso near one of Oklahoma's guns this week

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Whew, didn't watch but knew it was bad. I didn't know it was this.

https://twitter.com/celebrityhottub/status/1444694450337370116

Not even looking at the score here.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Unless Nebraska springs a big upset, which they've never done once under Frost, there are 3 wins left on that schedule and with them, bowl eligibility. You'd figure that would probably save Frost's job

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

D.N. Nation posted:

same, buddy

:lol: I guess I can't stress out too much if he's grinning. The offense just Isn't Great® this season.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

Please no one let Corso near one of Oklahoma's guns this week

He's gonna fire multiples of them and you know it

Gameday really doesn't need to be at the Shootout, wonder if this is like a make-a-wish thing for Corso. "Please let me fire the guns, God knows how much longer I've got"

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

LLCoolJD posted:

:lol: I guess I can't stress out too much if he's grinning. The offense just Isn't Great® this season.

Love to alternate great offense and passable defense and win precisely nothing.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

D.N. Nation posted:

Unless Nebraska springs a big upset, which they've never done once under Frost, there are 3 wins left on that schedule and with them, bowl eligibility. You'd figure that would probably save Frost's job

Nebraska's at least one win and maybe two better than their record if they'd get out of their own way.

They're not...awful this year? I don't know if this means Scott Frost day is going to be a good thing going forward of course, but better than absolute crap seems like an improvement at least.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

D.N. Nation posted:

One assumes Kirby still has a stiffy after the way that UGA game went down. Dominate the other team physically for the first 10 minutes, then put it in park the rest of the day because the other guys can't do anything about it. Stetson threw a total of 11 passes, completed 7, had his customary 2 dumb throws per game but otherwise gave the ball to the RBs and got out of the way.

I really wish JT would get healthy but UGA could probably win some games with me under center, given that defense.

I really think that Kirby wants to change. We saw that with going after Newman, then starting Mathis, then going to a more mobile Stetson, and then essentially becoming an air raid team once JT came back. But there is something amazing when you can just say "we are just going to run it on you, try to stop us" and just breaking your foe. At this point we know what Stetson is and his limitations, but we didn't need him to play hero. That won't last. I also wonder what is going on with JT; I know he took some big hits last year but he just seems like this season he has been made of glass.

E: Week 6 coaches poll

some intern somewhere posted:

Coaches Poll Top 25 Week 6
1. Alabama
2. Georgia
3. Iowa
4. Penn State
5. Oklahoma
6. Cincinnati
7. Ohio State
8. Michigan
9. Oregon
10. BYU
11. Michigan State
12. Oklahoma State
13. Notre Dame
14. Kentucky
15. Coastal Carolina
16. Arkansas
17. Ole Miss
18. Florida
19. Auburn
20. Wake Forest
21. Clemson
22. NC State
23. Texas
24. SMU
25. Arizona State

Top ten is silly, Kentucky shooting up to 14 to set up for a top 15/top 10 match up for UGA/Kentucky.

KKKLIP ART fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Oct 3, 2021

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

TipTow posted:

He's gonna fire multiples of them and you know it

Gameday really doesn't need to be at the Shootout, wonder if this is like a make-a-wish thing for Corso. "Please let me fire the guns, God knows how much longer I've got"

Gameday always needs to be at the Shootout :colbert:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Top Ten looks awesome

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

:lol: that Clemson is ranked and BC is not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Ehud posted:

For whatever reason I’m not that torn up about this year. I think it’s because 8ish wins was my expectation before the season started.

You know what hit me this morning though? It’s too bad our defense wasn’t this decent last year or we might have won the whole thing.

It's not that Florida lost that bugs me, it's how they lost. Florida has been the closest team to Alabama on the field the last 2 seasons. Yet Florida has also played absolute stinkers like this game and last year's LSU game that ruin Florida's season.

The frustration is that Florida under Mullen has felt so close to returning to the elite, and yet Florida feels so far. They're missing just one piece, but unlike Georgia or Oklahoma, that last piece is always changing (recruiting, defense, OL play.) If Mullen can get all the dots to connect, Florida makes the playoff, but it's still an open question as to whether Mullen can connect the dots at Florida.