Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Seaniqua posted:

there's nothing wrong with it, it's just stupid looking and very funny

just name all future college football threads this tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
as a grodes scholar myself, I

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Are they supposed to be cavalry guys, what with the boots and sabers? How come they don't have a horse.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
I feel like A&M shoots themselves in the dick often enough that we outsiders don't need to say anything.

Some good games this week:
OU/Texas
Georgia/Auburn
Penn State/Iowa
Michigan/Nebraska
LSU/Kentucky (Coach O could go 3-3 amidst hot seat talk)
Alabama/A&M (could also put big money Jimbo at 3-3 for the season... okay, I had to say something)

downout
Jul 6, 2009

:lol: I never heard of that, so I googled it. First link is a five second video of this guy waving his sword in peoples' faces. Shortly after is texags defense force "he did not wave it, nor run with it, nor did he point it, but he did pull it out of it's sheath". God knows texags know a thing about pulling sheathed things.

downout fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Oct 7, 2021

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

The Big Ten east will sort itself out eventually this season (still have no idea how truly good Michigan or Michigan State are, and neither one will be challenged until they play each other Oct. 30), but how long can the Big Ten continue with such unbalanced divisions? Only one of the top 5 teams in the conference is in the west. I might even argue Maryland is better than all the other teams in the west right now, except for Iowa.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I have a weeklong staycation starting Saturday and I am going to grill hotdogs and drink beers and watch college football until my brain oozes out of my ears

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

General Dog posted:

I don’t know what to say except that it’s fun. It’s fun to be a part of a cult that’s not going to alienate you from your family or exploit you sexually, and it’s fun to cosplay as a fascist society when the Great Other is just those dang t sips. That’s what college is for, trying new things in a safe, low stakes environment.

Prone To Fascism as a virtue

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

I will say it was fun watching TexAgs melt down after losing to Mike Leach, an activity which TexAgs thought was behind them in their new life as an SEC Power

I need Mark Stoops to Iowa so bad:

https://twitter.com/38godfrey/status/1446111445561663489?s=21

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Hed posted:

as a grodes scholar myself, I

Mods plz rename me to Grodes Scholar.

I mean don't but someone needs that as a username

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

General Dog posted:

it’s fun to cosplay as a fascist

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Godzilla07 posted:

I will say it was fun watching TexAgs melt down after losing to Mike Leach, an activity which TexAgs thought was behind them in their new life as an SEC Power

I need Mark Stoops to Iowa so bad:

https://twitter.com/38godfrey/status/1446111445561663489?s=21

Did Mark play at Iowa? I know Bob did

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

Komet posted:

The Big Ten east will sort itself out eventually this season (still have no idea how truly good Michigan or Michigan State are, and neither one will be challenged until they play each other Oct. 30), but how long can the Big Ten continue with such unbalanced divisions? Only one of the top 5 teams in the conference is in the west. I might even argue Maryland is better than all the other teams in the west right now, except for Iowa.

This year's weird because Northwestern and Wisconsin both fell off a loving cliff at the same time. Wisconsin might come back next year, but the Wildcats lost their amazing defensive coordinator. The big issue is that as the current conference layout stands, the all-time winning percentage goes East - East - West - East - East - West - West- West- West - East - West - East - West - East. It's not surprising that the side that has more national championships and higher winning percentages continues to win, and the side that considers the Rose Bowl the best they can do as "hey, there's next year!"

I'm just not sure who you would move around to re-balance the divisions without changing either the 9 game season or how many permanent crossovers exist. Swap Purdue and Penn State? Purdue and Ohio State, but make The Game the only cross-divisional matchup on Thanksgiving weekend? (Which is just moving the problem that Ohio State has 4 conference losses since the current divisions took form elsewhere.)

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I would bet we’ll see the elimination of divisions in most of the big conferences over the next decade. You can do pods, or you can just give everyone two or three annual rivals and more or less randomize the rest of the schedule every year. Top two play at the end of the year, basically like the ACC last year.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

General Dog posted:

I would bet we’ll see the elimination of divisions in most of the big conferences over the next decade. You can do pods, or you can just give everyone two or three annual rivals and more or less randomize the rest of the schedule every year. Top two play at the end of the year, basically like the ACC last year.

We'll probably just see all of the big programs in a superconference.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

General Dog posted:

exploit you sexually

I think you missed the part about grode jars a few years ago...

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

R.D. Mangles posted:

We'll probably just see all of the big programs in a superconference.

I have a real hard time envisioning that happening in the next 20 years. Even if the will was there to do it, the level of cooperation and contract renegotiation it would require for all parties is too much for today’s landscape.

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Did Mark play at Iowa? I know Bob did

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Stoops posted:

After graduating from high school, Stoops played college football for the Iowa Hawkeyes from 1986 to 1988.

Ginger Beer Belly fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Oct 7, 2021

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

General Dog posted:

I have a real hard time envisioning that happening in the next 20 years. Even if the will was there to do it, the level of cooperation and contract renegotiation it would require for all parties is too much for today’s landscape.

College football is a blend of pettiness and chasing after money, but chasing money will always win in the end.

So, simplistically wherever the money goes the sport will go is my read. If it's easier to get out of contracts to sign way better contracts that'll happen, if it isn't it won't. I guess I'm just stating the obvious here.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The way I see it, the 30-40 team Super League/NFL: The Prequel/whatever would require unprecedented cooperation between the power programs, face an incredible amount of legal and political challenge from existing power conference structures and everyone in the current P5 who's could be left behind. It also seems likely it would hasten a real reckoning about direct player compensation, assuming it isn't already a settled matter by that point. That's not to say that any of those things are impossible hurdles or that it will never happen, just that there would be a lot of matters to resolve in the meantime. Look how long and fraught it is just for everyone to decide whether a playoff should be 8 or 10 or 12 teams, and who those teams should be.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

wa27 posted:

Oh man, it's already been 7 years since Katy Perry Day.

or Xort day, if you prefer.

In honor of this I'm throwing a little bit of cash at some outlandish upsets...

Vandy at +5000? Aight let's see if I can turn $1 into $51.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Komet posted:

I don’t think we really know how any team is in the Big Ten East until the top 4 actually play each other.

e: Except that we know Ohio State is still the best team in the Big Ten.

Regnevelc fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Oct 7, 2021

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Just realized I left out the most important part of the triumvirate reading this. College football is a blend of pettiness, chasing money, and above all incompetence. So yeah your take is probably right.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Grittybeard posted:

triumvirate

I love this word and it doesn't get used as much as it should.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

General Dog posted:

The way I see it, the 30-40 team Super League/NFL: The Prequel/whatever would require unprecedented cooperation between the power programs, face an incredible amount of legal and political challenge from existing power conference structures and everyone in the current P5 who's could be left behind.

I suspect some current P5 teams would choose to be left behind. If you're a basketball school, and not in that insult-y way but actually a really good basketball school that's no good at football, you might have to be left behind in football so that you can keep your NCAA basketball program going. Would Duke and UConn have any motivation to destroy their basketball program? If you're a very small school that doesn't see a future path for you in a professional college league, is it worth the investment of resources? Do Northwestern and Vanderbilt have anything to gain from being the Detroit Lions indefinitely? Or do you stay back in the NCAA and form a Non-New England Ivy League with other high end private schools?

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

I know we got the thread title but can we get General Dog's discussion about how it's fun to cosplay as a fascist as the subforum description

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Sash! posted:

I suspect some current P5 teams would choose to be left behind. If you're a basketball school, and not in that insult-y way but actually a really good basketball school that's no good at football, you might have to be left behind in football so that you can keep your NCAA basketball program going. Would Duke and UConn have any motivation to destroy their basketball program? If you're a very small school that doesn't see a future path for you in a professional college league, is it worth the investment of resources? Do Northwestern and Vanderbilt have anything to gain from being the Detroit Lions indefinitely? Or do you stay back in the NCAA and form a Non-New England Ivy League with other high end private schools?

Would Duke and UConn be invited to the super conference?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Sash! posted:

How many times does Northwestern have to win the Big 10 West before people remember that it has been like 35 years since they were dogshit every year.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

I find these superconference discussions disheartening because who really wants them? Only the people that stand to make more money.

But if and when fans start to become disinterested, the money will be in decline. Fewer viewers, less advertising revenue, lower payouts for TV contracts. The playoffs have been in a viewership decline since the first year. A lot of that is driven by the repetitiveness of the competitors. Expanding the playoffs will be a great thing for the sport--if there's variety in who makes the cut. Boise State upsetting Oklahoma is what makes college football great.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

quote="Regnevelc" post="518310756"]
Would Duke and UConn be invited to the super conference?
[/quote]

I would assume that if you are in the ACC, you'd be able to make a stink about breaking up the group. I'm not sure why I thought of UConn because they would not. Kentucky maybe.

R.D. Mangles posted:

How many times does Northwestern have to win the Big 10 West before people remember that it has been like 35 years since they were dogshit every year.

I'm assuming Ryan Field fell over between now and when this is happening. Plus, private school.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
I don't like the super conference, it's my right as a vols fan to lose to florida georgia and bama every year and that's the way I like it

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

All I want is for the Big Ten to get rid of Rutgers and Maryland so that I can watch more games against Northwestern or Purdue.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Sash! posted:

I'm assuming Ryan Field fell over between now and when this is happening. Plus, private school.

I know the comparison is there and obviously no super conference has any use for northwestern, but I will die screaming from the heavens we are much better at football than vanderbilt!!!!!

Also the joke is on you the insurance executive guy who basically owns northwestern sports just gave this extremely rich private school almost half a billion dollars to renovate the football stadium, I bet you feel foolish now.

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Oct 7, 2021

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
high quality quote posts on this page

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
quote="Seaniqua" post="518317571"]
[/quote]

Agreed

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Regnevelc posted:

quote="Seaniqua" post="518317571"]

Agreed
[/quote]

:hai;

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
It must suck to finally be top 25 but you get bumped by Houston/Tulane anyway.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

LLCoolJD posted:

It must suck to finally be top 25 but you get bumped by Houston/Tulane anyway.

To be fair, that’s not going to be a fun game unless you just want to see CCU effortlessly score 70 points

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I know what Georgia is probably going to do to him Saturday but Bo Nix now has a trifecta of the kind of wins that visibly improve my mood for the next six months. Debut tells you exactly who he is winning a sloppy game with a not-actually-great throw that works out perfect; beats the greatest coach who ever lived with some ludicrous luck and seals it by taking the field at the same time as the punter; goes to Baton Rouge and lifts a curse older than most of the guys on the field. Whatever else he is, he's also a legend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

General Dog posted:

I don’t know what to say except that it’s fun. It’s fun to be a part of a cult that’s not going to alienate you from your family or exploit you sexually, and it’s fun to cosplay as a fascist society when the Great Other is just those dang t sips. That’s what college is for, trying new things in a safe, low stakes environment.

I guarantee you someone — probably a whole lot of someones — has been sexually exploited in the Aggie Corps of Cadets; we just haven't heard about it yet. There is a reason they used to call their sophomores "piss-heads".