Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My uncle was a sub editor at some newspaper for a while.

He told me that whenever somebody said fonts (which in that job would have been a lot) he put both thumbs up and said "ayyyy" (because fonts sounds a bit like fonz).

I bet he was really popular in that office.

E: :synpa:

jazzyhattrick fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Oct 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
If everyone's giving you the same advice then maybe you should take it, OP.
If they're giving you different advice then have them fight it out for your amusement.

e: fontderdome.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Xaintrailles posted:

If they're giving you different advice then have them fight it out for your amusement.

What if OP is on an island with just one other person who is providing all the advice

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
Then OP can use this and no-one's gonna stop them:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
What are the bits that aren't trees?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

jazzyhattrick posted:

My uncle was a sub editor at some newspaper for a while.

He told me that whenever somebody said fonts (which in that job would have been a lot) he put both thumbs up and said "ayyyy" (because fonts sounds a bit like fonz).

I bet he was really popular in that office.

E: :synpa:

It's cool how your newspaperly heritage shows in your paragraph spacing.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
I'd stick to handwriting and manuscripts if I were you, OP. Parchment preferably. There are fonts out there invented by nazis and pedophiles and I don't trust em.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

There's definitely a certain kind of person that will say whatever they think they're supposed to say, and will parrot some kind of advice their heard once regardless of context or applicability. That type of person has a more sinister cousin-person that will utilize critique for ulterior motives like lowering your self-esteem and boosting theirs in hopes of making you more pliable or driving you away. I've known professors to give 'false' critiques as well, the idea being that they'll always tell you to change something inconsequential, as if passively bullying you will teach you some magical valuable lesson about asking for advice to begin with.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Item Getter posted:

I used to be a huge font dork as a kid because my dad worked in graphic design and would bring home font catalogs. I even asked for a font for my birthday one year.

:cursed:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Item Getter posted:

I used to be a huge font dork as a kid because my dad worked in graphic design and would bring home font catalogs. I even asked for a font for my birthday one year. But now that I am older and even though I work every day on graphics I think it's ridiculous how much some people wax pretentiously about fonts. They even made a movie about Helvetica which played at arthouse theaters.

If a child ever told me they wanted a font for their birthday I would immediately take them for an exorcism. This is the work of unnatural and highly malicious forces.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Xaintrailles posted:

Fully expected this reply. Its just that ive been around long enough to notice the nature of advice change. Im not creating ugly documents or typing in papyrus, comic sans, or chiller although i might start.

I noticed the same thing happen with the word "umami" around 2013. I was a chef at the time and every single restaurant review used the word and it just magically began to spill out of every young chef's mouth when talking about menus or tasting. It means savory, its the MSG flavor.

hell astro course posted:

There's definitely a certain kind of person that will say whatever they think they're supposed to say, and will parrot some kind of advice their heard once regardless of context or applicability.

Bruh its 100% this. I also think its a cop out to avoid actual close, critical reading.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
one of the most triggering things in the world...

bad kerning

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I like fonts. I think fonts are hugely important in a lot of ways, especially when people are forced to interact with them every day. Font choice for an OS is hugely important for example.

I figured with papers every just used Times New Roman tho, and blogs were whatever the default theme was. Doesn't really matter as long as it's legible.

I mainly use notepad for writing notes, so I guess I use Console a lot.

In conclusion, fonts are a land of contrasts.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
B a d k e m i ng

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

As a graphic designer I only care about fonts because I can't actually read.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

This post is kind of difficult to read. I think if you spaced things out a bit more it might be easier to parse and allow me to engage with its content.

More likely, your readability problem is due to the abso-loving-lutely ridiculous SA Forums management choice to use sans serif fonts to display posts. Rapidly and pointlessly tiring for the eyes. That's why serif fonts were designed in the first place.

Also the OP has no control over SA stylesheet choices, so please direct your suggestions instead to Forums management (feel free to quote this post).

In the meantime, you could copy/paste Forums pages into Word or whatever and reformat them to your liking. :spergin:

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

I could not care less what font you use OP because I can neither read nor write. My mom reads all threads aloud to me and transcribes my replies.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

syntaxfunction posted:

I like fonts. I think fonts are hugely important in a lot of ways, especially when people are forced to interact with them every day. Font choice for an OS is hugely important for example.

I figured with papers every just used Times New Roman tho, and blogs were whatever the default theme was. Doesn't really matter as long as it's legible.

I mainly use notepad for writing notes, so I guess I use Console a lot.

In conclusion, fonts are a land of contrasts.

We use Calibri for body text but ive mostly used Garamond for larger documents and studies that feature large bodies of text. I like fonts too.

I dont mind Courier on design documents and blueprints, either.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Poohs Packin posted:

Bruh its 100% this. I also think its a cop out to avoid actual close, critical reading.

I don't think it's avoiding it as much as people straight up don't know how to actually critically analyze something and we're taught to just repeat whatever has worked for us in the past in a similar situation.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Alright, hear me out, PhontZ not your grandmas fonts!!!!

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

now THIS is a font.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

I could not care less what font you use OP because I can neither read nor write. My mom reads all threads aloud to me and transcribes my replies.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Is there a font that can drive a reader insane, in a Lovecraftian kind of way?

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Papyrus

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

I like Calibri and Cambria and I think it was a great desiscion of Microsoft to have them replace Times New Roman and Ariel as defaults.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

just send everything in comic sans but put a note at the beginning that explains all your other fonts got corrupted

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

Bodini

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

H O R S E - S L A U G H T E R E R
fonts are a really interesting intersection of aesthetics and mathematics and it's quite fascinating how you can make the meaning that your brain decodes from reading a sequence of abstract symbols feel an endless variety of different ways because of the particular way those abstract symbols are drawn

proceeding from this i would tend to say its not cool to gently caress with a man's fonts and you should tell them to eat poo poo op.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Loudine all the way, white space is WASTED space. Maximize your ink usage, make printing HURT

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Seriously though, why did they keep making new fonts after they made Comic Sans. You're not going to strike gold twice, stop trying!

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xx61VJjIEw

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

just lol if your program doesn't mandate Times New Roman 12pt double spaced non justified with 1 inch margins Chicago/Turabian bitch

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I used to be one of those "ha ha Comic Sans what a bad font!" people until a friend with dyslexia told me that Comic Sans was actually conceived as an anti-dyslexia font and it really helps her and others with dyslexia to read typed words better. I stopped making fun of it afterwards since I never realized it had a legitimate purpose. I don't think it's a particularly good looking font or anything, but it has its purpose and I'm glad my friend has a font she can read easily.

Personally I like the Lucida font families a lot. Lucida Sans for sans-serif, and Lucida Bright for serif. I just feel like it's a nice and clean font overall that's pleasing to my eyes.

Boner M
Sep 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
https://i.imgur.com/Izud6Cw.mp4
HAS SOUBD

Boner M fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Oct 4, 2021

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Automatic Slim posted:

Wingdings?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

If you're not paying for the font, it probably sucks rear end and you should just stick to Arial. Doing anything else just calls into attention how lovely your typesetting is.

Also my preferred font is Avenir, hope this helps

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Vegetable posted:

If you're not paying for the font, it probably sucks rear end and you should just stick to Arial. Doing anything else just calls into attention how lovely your typesetting is.

lol if you pay for fonts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

axolotl farmer posted:

I like Calibri and Cambria and I think it was a great desiscion of Microsoft to have them replace Times New Roman and Ariel as defaults.

They're both sans serif fonts, you monster.

Vegetable posted:

Lol, just lol at people who use fonts others don't use or want, then send them original documents that don't display as intended.

Automatic Slim posted:

I̯͚̹̯s̤ ̷̬̰̰̱͎̱t͚̯h̙̼e̺̘͉̠r̖̣e ̖̳a̛͚͚͈̙͕ ҉͍͖͍̜f̵̖̟̮͍̰͖o̹̙ͅn͍̦͔͙̞̫ṯ̻̝ ͡t̛̼h̞̀ͅḁṭ̞̠̹̱̳͜ ͕͇̯c͈̳̹͍͙̫a̶̭͈̘̖̣̻͚n̛̦̭̗ ̭̹̦̺͓ͅd̜̯̜̖͚ͅr̭̹̣ive̸ ͘a ̰͚r̴̜̩͕̱̼e̜̬̠̣̥͇͞a̫̠͉̤̻͇̠͝d̸̙er͞ i̛n̠̯̤̭̭̖̯s͈͇̖̹͚͔an͞e̦̪̠̦̰͘ͅ, ̤i̷͙̩̠̩n͓͖͈̰͓̮ͅ ̻̲̟̮̣͚a̷̬̖ L͎̪͍̦̪͍̫ơv͈̫̖̱e̩̺͕͍̣̱̥c̳̱r̘̲̣͜à͇͇̙̤̭ͅf̩t͏̹̠͕̣̥í̜͕̜̗̖͙a͕̝̜̳̺n̫͙̺̹ ͇̙͖ͅk̡̭͈̩̝͕̞̱i͚̞͙̹͓̻̗n͇͉͟d̶̠ ̧͎o̴f͓̤̰͞ ͚͔͙̗̪w͙̬̱̤͜ay̳̞̖͕̪̠͔͞?̙̻̼̭̮͓͖
͓̙͕̤̜͓WH̡͎͙̗À̺̬̣̬͓̱T̤͖̣̟͓̩ ̰̩͕̳͠I͈͍̦F̢͈͔͎̦͉ ̼ͅT̵̘̭H҉̻̣̣̞͓̗̼E͚ ͕̺̤̟͇R̗̻̫̱̫̬E̪͕̗A̬̯̖̣̠̘͟D̘̦̯͔͚E̗͖͞R̥̰̫̺͝ I̷S ̜̘͇̪̫͉̳A̧͓̞̖̟̘̯L͇R̷͍̬̰̪̞E̛̫͍̪͖͕̭̜ÀḒ̫̦̼̞͖̩Y͚̖͠ ҉IN̼̮̯͉̣̱͡S͏̬Á̫̹̲̻̘̺̘N̼̰̝͇E̡͍̯?̧
̱̲̙̼̝̰͝ͅh̻̪̩̕t̰̙t̫p̝̪͇̹̳̤̗:̫̖͖͙̗̼̪/̧̻͓̗̺͕/̤͟w͎w̷̱̞̬̮̩̙̬w̥̳̙̞͚͍̳͘.̶e͚̭͎̳͈͙e̳̰̟̗̜̺͞e̬̺ṃ̸̼̫o̧̭̥̯̘͙͔͔.̮̪̬̺͚̟́ne͚͉t͓̫̣͓̱͢