Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

this pit is full of stat boosters
Going to be a contrarian and say the archers in this game are actually way better in Maddening mode than on Normal or Hard - the enemies on the lower difficulties are much weaker compared to your units, and that means all you need to beat them are numbers. Throw a 1-2 range weapon Byleth, one of your lords, or a solid combat unit like Leonie or Petra, and watch them take out all the enemies on enemy phase. Chipping from a distance isn't as helpful since individual enemies can fairly easily be one rounded. Meanwhile in Maddening all the enemies have such high stats that trying to out-stat them is a hopeless cause. Your strongest units might be able to take a couple of hits on the frontline, but your best bet to taking out most enemies is to hit them from range where they can't counter you and then finish them off. Petra's slight damage and speed advantage over Bernie as an Archer doesn't really matter when neither of them are OHKOing or doubling anything anyway.

Ignatz is nearly useless on easier difficulties but he's actually really good support on Maddening - Hit + 20 is great when all your hitrates are hovering around 60% without combat arts, and the bonus applies to gambits too which means he can actually hit them despite his mediocre Charm. All he has to do to get Rally Speed is raise his E+ authority to D (which he has a boon in!), and get gets Break Shot at C+ bows which lowers the defense of any enemy he hits with it, which is great for setting up kills. Once you're past the timeskip and debuffing and rallying become less important he can go Assassin for lockpicking or Sniper to spam Hunter's Volleys with higher accuracy and crit rates than anyone else could reach.

Bernie requires set-up to use Vengeance properly, but it's not too much effort - a defense adjutant means she can enter combat against a foe that doubles her and doesn't OHKO and be guaranteed to leave with 1HP left, making her Vengenaces super strong and giving her Persecution Complex. There's also the Blessing battalions or even just sending her to attack an enemy that doesn't quite kill her. One shotting enemies with Vengeance is very cool when most enemies require 2-3 units to take down and can quite often ORKO you back. Her other poor stats don't matter when all she needs to deal damage is her HP. Swift Strikes and Hunter's Volley will eventually do that job better and more easily than Vengeance, at which point Bernie can easily reclass into Sniper and volley with the rest of your units.

Ashe isn't great though, unless you really can't fit a thief on your team or you can't afford chest keys. But even his personal skill brings home the point that the archers don't care about their stats, they care about all the other stuff they can do.

midnight lasagna fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Oct 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Finally catching up with the last episode and I have to share the fun thing I did: I abused Nemesis' little gimmick by shooting him with the ballista a distance away. That's enough to get him to go after you, so I positioned up to take him out after that. I enjoyed doing that.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Ah, Caspar. Perpetually a victim of 'almost good enough.' Now, I genuinely do like using on-foot gauntlet troopers, but Dedue and Raphael have better non-speed physical combat growths and get the brave effect on gauntlets anyway. You could put Caspar on a wyvern, but Ferdinand, Petra, and Edelgard do that better (and Sylvain, and Hilda if you're not on CF). His trait sounds good for debuffing enemies, and there's definitely combo potential with Leonie there, but Caspar just rarely seems to pan out well.

All told, he's probably the character I poach the least often in the game.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
It feels like in comparison to the other brawler’s they given him a better speed growth and nuked his speed base. Which makes him a melee character with mediocre defense constantly getting doubled. Which makes him less durable than Petra and the like.

I don’t agree with the Archer thing, largely because if I want someone who does chip damage that can’t take a hit I’ll take a mage instead. It’s trivial to make a Mage do half a unit’s health in damage after the early game, so any two Mages will just kill a unit themselves. Plus they have utility in being able to heal, whether for actual need or chip exp. Or Warp or Meteor or whatever based on the Mage. They’re also more resilient to RNG screw due to caring about literally only Magic and their classes giving a Magic boost.

Thyrsus existing means Archers don’t even have more range either, and the mages are more accurate at range.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Sniper Ignatz having high crit rate means nothing to me, as I can easily get Shamir to 100% crit anyway.

Shamir's great.

Also, I really just don't like Ignatz's look. I think both his pre and post timeskip haircuts are dumb, and that's enough for me to not use him when there's so many good units.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Episode 04 - The Magdred Ambush with Alxprit

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Unit Reviews

Constance von Nuvelle

HP: 20%
Str: 20%
Lck: 15%
Mag: 60%
Def: 15%
Dex: 35%
Res: 30%
Spd: 35%
Cha: 25%
Strengths: Sword, Reason, Authority, Flying
Weaknesses: Axe, Heavy Armor
Aptitude: Brawling: Mystic Blow: +10 Mt, +10 Hit, 1 range, costs 3 durability. Deals magic damage.
Personal Skill: Circadian Beat: Grants Str/Mag +3 when the map is either indoors, covered in fog of war, or takes place at night. Grants Def/Res +3 otherwise.
More Detail along with Rea's thoughts here: https://rhematic.net/fe3h_lp/updates/constance/

Nat's Thoughts

It is hard to understate how powerful Constance is. I used to think that Lysithea was the best mage in the game, but the more I think about it, the more that I think it's Constance. She ranks in what I see as the top three characters in the game for Maddening and you've already seen her go to work here.

So what's so powerful? Constance has the same insane Mag growth as Lysithea of 60%, but runs much lower speed and dexterity. She'll have a harder time than Lysithea does doubling the warrior type classes we'll see later in the game, which means there are some kills Lysithea can get that Constance can't, especially given Lysithea's Dark magic spell list.

But Constance has probably the best single spell list in the game. On the white magic side she's running Rescue and Abraxas on a gigantic magic stat meaning that she's going to be teleporting people cross map with no issues very quickly. On the Black Magic side she's got Sagittae to target evasive targets and Fimbulventr for crit fishing. But the main thing is Bolting. She is a mage with 60% magic growth and a 2 charge 10 range spell. As a gremory she has four uses of this thing. If that wasn't enough, her Major Crest of Noa gives her a 20% chance of refunding spell uses, which means if she uses 4 Bolting charges there's around a 60% chance or so that she'll get another one.

This is insanity. Is there an enemy formation that you need to aggro but has inconvenient attack ranges? Bolting.

Is there a siege engine you don't want to deal with? Caduceus staff and Bolting.

She's even really good at getting Dark Flier because of her strength in flying which means in some situations you can walk in, Bolting something at range and then canto out to disrupt the game even more.

It's unbelievable. Prior to the DLC Dorothea was considered one of the better mages in the game purely off the utility of Meteor and Constance has that but with double charges on a Lysithea level mage.

Add on to all of that, near perfect strengths for what she wants to do and crucially an authority strength to get to really powerful battalions early and Constance will take your Maddening run on her back and power you through to an endgame you didn't think you were going to get.

The Plan

Noble->Monk->Mage->Pegasus Knight->Archer->Warlock->Dark Flier/Gremory

Standard plan with most casters, get her that delicious Swift Sparrow Hit+20, run her through Warlock for Bowbreaker so that Dark Flier has more security and then switch between that and Gremory based on the map.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Nov 9, 2021

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Episode 05 - The Goddess's Rite of Rebirth with Mustachionut

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
To be honest... I think Constance is broken, in a bad way. One of my biggest gameplay issues with Three Houses is how the game's open-ended class development and ease of poaching makes many characters redundant when you can so easily get other, better options. The mages in particular suffer from this, Hubert and Linhardt are kneecapped immediately by not being women, and Annette can be quickly disregarded except as a rally bot. Everyone not named Lysithea and Marianne, in my book, struggles to provide a reason to pick them, whether it's Dorothea's access to Meteor or Mercedes' access to Fortify.

And then here comes Constance who is just better again than Lysithea, herself already one of the most unbalancing characters in the game.

Constance is emblematic of the reasons I dislike 3H's mechanical design of characters in general, and Cindered Shadows in particular. If you buy Cindered Shadows, you are making a conscious choice to make your character composition weaker by not getting Constance, which is trivially easy.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Nov 1, 2021

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
The frustrating part is that they actually brought gender-locked classes back after they largely removed them in Fates, knee-capping female brawling units and male magic ones because ???

It doesn't help the magic oriented characters that they made so many of their spell lists bad and/or incredibly boring.

Speaking of Cindered Shadows, Hapi confuses me a lot. What were they going for? Her spell list is interestingly divergent from what Lysithea gets for dark magic and that is cool, but they made her speed situation incredibly dire and on top of that gave her a personal ability that is largely a liability. If they had given her actually good defensive growths, she could have been a pretty cool magic oriented tank, which was a role that was not particularly well filled in three houses base game. It's a shame because I like Hapi more than Constance.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Obligatum VII posted:

The frustrating part is that they actually brought gender-locked classes back after they largely removed them in Fates, knee-capping female brawling units and male magic ones because ???

It doesn't help the magic oriented characters that they made so many of their spell lists bad and/or incredibly boring.

Speaking of Cindered Shadows, Hapi confuses me a lot. What were they going for? Her spell list is interestingly divergent from what Lysithea gets for dark magic and that is cool, but they made her speed situation incredibly dire and on top of that gave her a personal ability that is largely a liability. If they had given her actually good defensive growths, she could have been a pretty cool magic oriented tank, which was a role that was not particularly well filled in three houses base game. It's a shame because I like Hapi more than Constance.

Lindhardt but a gremory is Hapi's role. Like look at their growths and faith lists, they're identical.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Hapi is basically a mix of Hubert and Lindhardt. She's a debuff mage with a very, very good 3 range spell. She likes Valkyrie a lot because it lets her safely poke a lot of units with the extra range, using Swarm to slow fast units for kills, Banshee to cause traffic jams and Death for killing. As Eimi rightly points out, her Faith list is Lind's, so she serves as a strong healer.

Edit: I would really like to see what the logic on gender restrictions returning was. They must have had a reason, even if it's lol sexism, I'd still like to know.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Nov 1, 2021

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Natural 20 posted:

They must have had a reason, even if it's lol sexism, I'd still like to know.

With brawlers, at least, the earliest news about it in Japanese claimed that brawling was based on gladiatorial combat in-setting - their outfits show it, and in the Enbarr map you can see a big colosseum in the background.

If I had to guess, I'd suppose it was an effort to differentiate characters despite how open-ended character options are.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

It might have been a time issue to some degree, at least for the base game classes. Hilda gets replaced by a female War Master (who uses, IIRC, a Myrmidon sprite and model) if recruited on Azure Moon and I remember some people in the Games threads pointing out that gauntlets don't quite fit female models right, so the gender locks might have been a "gently caress it, we need to ship this, scrap the stuff we couldn't finish" thing.

I got nothing for why they couldn't have taken just a bit more time to throw male mages a bone with the DLC classes though.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Shiny777 posted:

It might have been a time issue to some degree, at least for the base game classes. Hilda gets replaced by a female War Master (who uses, IIRC, a Myrmidon sprite and model) if recruited on Azure Moon and I remember some people in the Games threads pointing out that gauntlets don't quite fit female models right, so the gender locks might have been a "gently caress it, we need to ship this, scrap the stuff we couldn't finish" thing.

I got nothing for why they couldn't have taken just a bit more time to throw male mages a bone with the DLC classes though.

Because Hubert can never be allowed to fly.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Mages of Three Houses have the problem of being very stat-identical in practice. The only stat that matters for them is Magic, because none of them are geared to take a hit. With Maddening stat inflation, they're not even that reliable for magic tanking in the late-game due to the stats ramping up really hard there, including speed. Which means that they get doubled, and can't tank more than a singular mage if that.

So it just comes down to spell-lists. Which makes Mage choice pretty samey. It's why Constance can compete with Lysithea despite a non-existent speed growth. If they never double anyways and you don't want them taking hits regardless, she matches Lysithea in the important stat of 60% magic growth. Mage accuracy is also nerfed due to it being skill + luck divided rather than just skill, which means they want to grab Archer Hit +20 or something to compensate anyways.

I still maintain that Sylvain is the only possible magic-using tank. Reason avoid + 20 and the bulk growths of a tanky physical unit means that he can actually tank. Plus Magic being unaffected by terrain means you can throw him into a dense forest and laugh at all the physical units that try to kill him. His Magic is low, but serviceable and largely gets fixed by Warlock at 20 so that his magic power is 'behind, but still fine'.

The number of maps where he just kind of stalled or soloed a side for me because there was a bush to use is kind of hilarious. It sucks he never gets Gremory, but whatever.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Accidentally blew up my Yuri review.

I might just scream.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Nov 9, 2021

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Episode 06 - Tower of Black Winds with Alxprit

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Nov 8, 2021

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

You posted #5 rather than #6, which is here.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

NGDBSS posted:

You posted #5 rather than #6, which is here.

Thanks! I'm an idiot.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Late to earlier unit discussion but it's wild to me that each of the three main houses has a physical girl that quietly sneaks up to be one of your strongest units (Petra, Ingrid, Leonie). And while their stat growths aren't too dissimilar to each other, the game makes you think they're designed differently. Petra is meant to be an assassin, Ingrid a flier, and Leonie a bow user that crits all day.

Of course since in 3H they can all kinda perform in each other's roles too, and in that regard I think Leonie pulls ahead. Ingrid has slightly lower Str and notably lower Dex growths, so her main benefit is having a Crest. Leonie has slightly better Def and Dex compared to Petra, and I think that pulls her ahead. Petra does have Finesse Blade and she makes a good dodge Dancer, but I think all things considered Leonie is the best of the three physical girls.

Cythereal posted:

To be honest... I think Constance is broken, in a bad way. One of my biggest gameplay issues with Three Houses is how the game's open-ended class development and ease of poaching makes many characters redundant when you can so easily get other, better options. The mages in particular suffer from this, Hubert and Linhardt are kneecapped immediately by not being women, and Annette can be quickly disregarded except as a rally bot. Everyone not named Lysithea and Marianne, in my book, struggles to provide a reason to pick them, whether it's Dorothea's access to Meteor or Mercedes' access to Fortify.

And then here comes Constance who is just better again than Lysithea, herself already one of the most unbalancing characters in the game.

Constance is emblematic of the reasons I dislike 3H's mechanical design of characters in general, and Cindered Shadows in particular. If you buy Cindered Shadows, you are making a conscious choice to make your character composition weaker by not getting Constance, which is trivially easy.

The punchy dudes also suffer from this, since Balthus pretty much stomps Caspar and Raphael hard and the only thing Dedue has going for him is that his Personal is amazing for early game.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Nov 8, 2021

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

This map blows and I'm glad its one of the few that does not get reused

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ApplesandOranges posted:

The punchy dudes also suffer from this, since Balthus pretty much stomps Caspar and Raphael hard and the only thing Dedue has going for him is that his Personal is amazing for early game.

Yeah. It speaks to my extreme disappointment with 3H's DLC in general. Plus how I feel like all of the Wolves are always two or three steps ahead of everyone else in the plot.

3H has a number of problems I wish it had gotten DLC to fix, instead of a story about something that I, at least, felt didn't need any additional explanation, a couple of overpowered new recruits (and they're all poorly written in my book), an overpowered new item or two, and four new classes that vary between meh and broken.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
To be fair about Balthus' stomping Caspar/Raphael, they ARE kind of underpowered. It's a similar if not as bad problem to the Archer stat growth thing.

It also doesn't help the brawlers that they're all built basically the same in terms of interests. Even the Archers are different, what with Ignatz going Assassin-ish, Ashe having Wyvern interests and Bernie going Lance. They just fail on the stat front, but their base designs are actually pretty varied.

I never bought the DLC myself. In general, I have issues with Fire Emblem DLC because my primary interest is map design and challenge, and the DLC has a bad track record of either, being a great big swathe of 'make game easier'. Plus honestly, I didn't like how Hapi is literally 'Dark Mage Lindhardt, but better in every way'. Feels very tacky. Constance actually bothers me less despite being more powerful since her power is derived from being both 'actual Mage with Bolting' and 'another person with Rescue'. Plus it at least looks like they actually tried to balance her by giving her Lysithea-type growths and nuking her Dex/Spd on top of that. It didn't work because Magic is the only stat that matters due to no natural mage being able to take a hit or double 95% of enemies on Maddening. But the attempt was made.

I never minded this map honestly. Yeah the spiral is a bit annoying to traverse, but it does actually play into tactics like thinning the wave of enemies by luring Archers to attack and pull them away. It's an early enough map that they actually put specific design thought into the map, while being late enough that you at least have the opportunity to get some tools to fight back.

Ingrid has never worked for me. For some reason she always ends up speed-screwed, which is frankly a death knell. So she ends up being an adjutant that's stapled to Sylvain for the dodge and might boost. My Leonie's usually end up strength-screwed for some reason, and yet still ends up being useful due to being a reasonably useful wall of meat for when I need to block places.

Petra is a goddess who will stomp on the mere enemies.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Unit Reviews

Lysithea Von Ordelia

HP: 20%
Str: 15%
Lck: 15%
Mag: 60%
Def: 10%
Dex: 60%
Res: 25%
Spd: 50%
Cha: 25%
Strengths: Reason, Faith, Authority
Weaknesses: Sword, Lance, Axe, Heavy Armor
Aptitude: Sword: Soulblade: +2 Mt, +10 Hit, 1 range, costs 4 durability. Deals magic damage. Might increases based on user's Resistance.
Personal Skill: Mastermind: Doubles skill experience earned in battle.
More Detail along with Rea's thoughts here: https://rhematic.net/fe3h_lp/updates/lysithea/

Nat's Thoughts

Lysithea is considered by many to be the best mage in the game. Some would even go so far as to call her the best single unit in the game. Whilst I'm not that high on her, I think she ranks behind a couple of the house leaders and noted busted DLC mage, Constance, I do think she's tremendous as is obvious by the speed with which I recruited her.

So what's going on?

Lysithea has a monstrous magic growth of 60% She will send things back to the stone age with how hard she hits, but what sets her stats apart is her speed growth of 50%, which is excellent for a Mage. This means Lysithea serves an important role on most teams as an armour/warrior buster on Maddening. Her speed means that even with Maddening pushing stats sky high, she'll be able to double the slower enemy archetypes and absolutely nothing in the game is surviving a Lysithea double.

Her spell list is one of the best in the game as her Dark Magic gives her access to excellent offensive utility. Swarm can slow enemies to a crawl and Dark Spikes will destroy horses and rather infamously send the Death Knight crying. Her more powerful spells, Luna and Hades are nothing to sneeze at either, with Luna ignoring enemy Res for gigantic amounts of damage against typical enemy mage slayers like Pegasus Knights and Hades with an absolutely insane 18MT.

What's more, you can add to that an excellent White Magic list, containing Seraphim for blowing up Monsters and of all things Warp, which on Lysithea's incredible Mag will amount to a near full map teleport by the end of the game.

Lysithea's weakness, if you could call it one, is that she's made of paper. Single counterattacks will sometimes outright kill her and she's not great for tanking enemy magic attacks either. But given that this is the weakness of almost every other spellcaster in the game, it's hard to really see it as one.

Lysithea is a bit of an honorary Black Eagle, even if you don't recruit her in the academy phase, you can still recruit her later in Crimson Flower if you so choose. Her backstory is pretty intimately tied with them, so I thought it appropriate that she join the team early so we could have along for more of it. That and she's a much needed power injection to a team that's lacking a few key members at the moment.

The Plan

Noble->Monk->Mage->Pegasus Knight->Archer->Warlock->Dark Flier/Gremory

Her plan unsurprisingly echoes noted good mage Constance, so the standard caster plan with Swift Sparrow and Hit+20.

Conclusion

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Nov 9, 2021

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
I like making her a Valkyrie.

Less movement, but the extra range on her magic gets silly.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Pre-Constance Lysethia was the offensive mage, plus she gets to cheese the Death Knight way before anyone else.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Episode 07 - Rumors of a Reaper - With Myself??

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Unit Reviews

Shamir Nevrand

HP: 35%
Str: 40%
Lck: 55%
Mag: 20%
Def: 20%
Dex: 55%
Res: 15%
Spd: 40%
Cha: 30%
Strengths: Lance, Bow
Weaknesses: Faith
Personal Skill: Survival Instinct: If unit initiates combat and defeats foe, grants Str/Mag/Dex/Spd +4 for one turn.More
Detail along with Rea's thoughts here: https://rhematic.net/fe3h_lp/updates/shamir/

Nat's Thoughts

Shamir is a mixed bag. If you know what you’re doing she’s going to be a monster but if you don’t jump through a bunch of very specific hoops she’s going to end up middling at best.

Her statline is geared to one thing, crits. She has far and away the highest crit growth in the game, with a growth rate of 55% in both dexterity and luck. She has decent strength and speed, but her speed growth is not really enough to keep up doubles in Maddening. So basically, later, she’s critting or she’s pinging people for a little bit of damage from far enough away that she can get away with it.

What can push Shamir over the edge though is her recruitment. Shamir, as you’ve seen is recruitable as early as Chapter 7 and will come in as a level 11 Sniper. Sniper, as most of you well know, is an advanced class and happens to be the class that confers the best modifiers to crit growth in the game. Sniper Shamir has a 75% Dex growth and a 65% Luck growth. And obviously, nobody else has access to these growths until level 20. This means that levelling Shamir in Sniper can easily push her over the limit of what the game expects, even on Maddening and mean that she remains lethal to the end game.

The flip side of this is that the later Shamir’s recruited, the lower the benefit she gets from this trait, with the well eventually completely drying up. It also means that you very explicitly want to make sure that Shamir only levels up in Sniper, which can make mastering other classes at the intermediate stage somewhat more fraught.

I have high hopes for her though, having optimised her recruitment and as I plan to optimise her use in this run through.

The Plan

Sniper->Archer->Brigand->Pegasus Knight->Sniper->Bow Knight (Maybe)

A weird pattern reflecting the overall weirdness around her recruitment. Realistically we’ll be darting in and out of Sniper a lot, with me switching her out when I create a mastery trap and then switching her back into Sniper for story missions. I tend to like endgame Sniper more than Bow Knight because of Sniper’s Volley and the fact that Crimson Flower hates horses.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Dec 8, 2021

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I'm vaguely interested in this on the basis of actually trying to use an Archer-type, at least.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Shamir is the only default archer I tend to actually keep as an archer unless I'm on Azure Moon. Besides being a crit machine, she benefits more than most from your dancer's attentions thanks to her personal and it's possible to fit her out as a murderous enemy phase trap for ranged units. And while it's not applicable to Crimson Flower, for anyone else taking notes for home in general, Shamir gets linked attack boosts from Catherine - herself an excellent unit who can be acquired at the same time unless you're the Black Eagles - whereas of the other archers, Ashe has no linked boosts and Bernie has no actual supports with the person she links with.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
And I guess you tend to think of Ignatz as an Assassin since he doesn't get mentioned?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Keldulas posted:

And I guess you tend to think of Ignatz as an Assassin since he doesn't get mentioned?

Yup. My best results from Ignatz have always been from treating him like a classic myrmidon type.

I almost always deploy 2-3 archers in my a-team, and pick them from Shamir, Felix, Leonie, Petra, Ferdinand, and Lorenz. Or, if I'm on Azure Moon, Ashe or Bernie because Deadeye on a Bow Knight with Failnaught can snipe That Fucker on the final map from the starting room, instantly removing a huge headache.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Leonie's also generally sold as an 'archer' and I'm assuming you keep her as one. She's also a pretty darn good one since she gets a bonus from Alois support.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Leonie's also generally sold as an 'archer' and I'm assuming you keep her as one. She's also a pretty darn good one since she gets a bonus from Alois support.

Leonie defaults to cavalier/paladin, actually. Bow knight is just something she can also suggest you tutor her in.

I pick up Leonie almost every game, and I usually use her as a bow knight, but I've also had a lot of success with Leonie on a pegasus. Leonie's already fast, and a pegasus makes her faster. It's not too hard to get Alois onto a wyvern to be her adjutant for linked attacks, her personal meshes nicely with the abundance of men who like to buzz around on wyverns, and you're guaranteed to get the Spear of Assal to give her a very strong non-Relic lance option.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
She's usually fought as a cavalier/paladin but with her and Linhardt's paralogue giving a bow, and her support with Shamir, the game strongly associates her with being an archer.

And yeah, I tend to sit her on a pegasus for a while too, because it's basically having a second Claude.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Unit Reviews

Leonie Pinelli The Goddess of Death

HP: 40%
Str: 40%
Lck: 40%
Mag: 20%
Def: 40%
Dex: 55%
Res: 15%
Spd: 60%
Cha: 40%

Strengths: Lance, Bow, Riding
Personal Skill: Rivalry: If a male ally is adjacent, unit deals 2 extra damage and takes 2 less damage during combat.
More Detail along with Rea's thoughts here: https://rhematic.net/fe3h_lp/updates/leonie/

Nat's Thoughts

Where do you even begin with how straight up insane Leonie is? From my view she is arguably the best physical unit in the game, competing with Claude and Edelgard in my mind. She easily trends into the top five overall.

Leonie is fast, she's in second place overall behind Yuri and tied with Ingrid, Manuela and Petra. To add to this, she's operating on a decent strength growth of 40% or so, meaning that whilst she'll never be a powerhouse, it's unlikely that she's going to end up massively deficient in that area. So immediately you're getting a unit that's likely to double and hit for decent damage, which is enough to carry a few characters on Maddening.

Of course this is the bare minimum of her toolkit. She has an absolutely monstrous Dex growth of 55%, third overall behind Claude and Lysithea, tied with Shamir, Ashe and Bernadetta and lands that on a Luck growth of 40%, which is again, not bad. So she's accurate and unlikely to be crit. But of course as we examined in our Petra analysis, these stats combine for crit. Leonie is third overall in the game for crit, behind Claude and Shamir, tied with Petra. Except unlike Shamir she has crit on an excellent speed growth, unlike Claude, she's a girl, so she gets darting blow and unlike Petra, her crit growth is biased to dexterity, making her more accurate.

Wo Dao/Cursed Ashiya Sword Leonie will as an assassin or a swordmaster crit basically every sword attack she touches an opponent with. As I mentioned, with Petra this is incredibly good, but with Leonie, it's absolute madness.

This is because Leonie, on top of all this offense runs a 40% defense growth for reasons I do not understand. To be clear, the highest defense growth in the game is Dedue at 50%, followed by Raphael, Gilbert and Balthus at 45%. Except she's running that level of defense on incredibly high speed. It is not unfair to say that Leonie is probably the best physical tank in the game on Maddening as a result because almost nothing will double her and when she does get hit, she's taking in on high defenses with a low crit chance.

Her personal skill, is again, one of the best in the game, with a straight +2/-2 early being pivotal on Golden Deer and still powerful when she's defending deep into the midgame and she has no weaknesses, which means she's incredibly adaptable, able to fulfill any physical role on any team.

To top this all off, Leonie is the best at performing my own innovation in Fire Emblem Three Houses:

Astrathality.

Astra, a Sword Art from mastering Swordmaster, gives a character the ability to hit an opponent five times for 30% damage. These are all regular attacks and can crit which makes Astra powerful on any crit focused character to begin with, since multiple strikes let you law of averages out your crit damage into something more reliable. Good but not worth keeping someone in Swordmaster, surely?

Lethality , the passive from mastering Assassin, gives a character a chance equal to 0.25*DEX% to instantly kill an opponent. This is terrible, at best it's maybe a 20% chance to instantly kill something on a double.

Of course when you combine the two you get something completely different. Some annoying maths eventually spits out that if a character hits something with Astra whilst having Lethality skilled, they have a DEX% chance to instantly kill their opponent.

The major use case for this combination is monster slaying. Stage 3 monsters in Maddening can have upwards of 150 HP, but most aren't immune to Lethality. So a chance to wipe them off the map in one action is valuable.

And unsurprisingly, with no weaknesses, being blazing fast and having nearly the best Dex in the game, Leonie ends up executing this to near perfection.

So to cap it off Leonie is:

1. One of the best physical attackers in the game.
2. The best physically defensive unit in the game.
3. One of the best monster slayers in the game.

And she's slept on because she has a bad Byleth support.

The Plan

Archer->Pegasus Knight->Brigand->Assassin->Swordmaster

Leonie is picking up Hit+20 and Swift Sparrow like all the physical girls before I send her through Assassin and Swordmaster to pick up Astrathality. She'll remain in one of these based on the map type until the end of the game.

Conclusion

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Dec 8, 2021

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Natural 20 posted:

From my view she is arguably the best physical unit in the game, competing with Claude and Edelgard in my mind.

This is the only part of your post I disagree with. In my book, neither Claude nor Edelgard belong in a conversation about the best physical unit in the game. To me, that's a conversation about Dimitri, Felix, Catherine, Ferdinand, and Leonie. Dimitri's hamstrung by his awkward class path, Felix by his Authority weakness, Ferdinand by his personal getting off to a slow start (and Dimitri nay-sayers, note that Dimitri gets Ferdinand's personal baked into his own in part two), and Catherine by her pre-promote nature.

And personality-wise, I love Leonie with everyone who's not Byleth. Along with Marianne, she's one of the characters I poach every run.

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

They say money can't buy happiness, but it sure does help.
I absolutely adore Leonie in both character and gameplay and am very happy that this LP will give her the respect she deserves. Love ya, girl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
I'm a boring person who always just makes her a Bow Knight.