Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malah
May 18, 2015

Sometimes all that's staving off death are WM Avo +20 and a tree. :shepface:

Natural 20 posted:

Although you could be Ferdinand and have Heal/Ward/Restore for some godforsaken reason.
Magic availability is just generally weird in 3H, even beyond basics like locking Gremory to women or physic distribution. It never really clicked just how dire player access to siege magic was before DLCs until I checked the lists myself and laughed at the idea of trying to drag Manuela or Hilda to Reason A for Bolting.

Also: Manuela does get access to Physic! The school nurse is in fact a legit medic! But only when she's an allied unit! :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Annette plays out a lot better in practice than on paper, in my experience. The Wind line really helps to offset her speed growth and allow her to double in cases where Mercedes would fail, and her Faith line is solid offensively if you need an extra punch on monsters. She's hardly the best mage out there, but I think given her gender and spell/rally list she's a good option to round out a team that already has two of Constance/Dorothea/Lysithea.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
I just like doing the gimmick build of making her a Bolt Axe Warrior.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Some units that were fine in the pre-DLC roster (especially if you limited yourself to mostly your own house, whether to challenge yourself or for RP reasons) simply became obsolete with the introduction of the Ashen Wolves, imho.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Annette's early Rally Speed can help deal with the Chapter 4 Death Knight, at least, which is not nothing!

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

ApplesandOranges posted:

Annette plays out a lot better in practice than on paper, in my experience. The Wind line really helps to offset her speed growth and allow her to double in cases where Mercedes would fail, and her Faith line is solid offensively if you need an extra punch on monsters. She's hardly the best mage out there, but I think given her gender and spell/rally list she's a good option to round out a team that already has two of Constance/Dorothea/Lysithea.

I’m curious as to what cases those would be because it’s literally a difference of one weight between Fire and Wind. Plus Maddening doesn’t really have most mages double anyways.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Unit Reviews

Marianne von Edmund

HP: 35%
Str: 20%
Lck: 35%
Mag: 50%
Def: 15%
Dex: 40%
Res: 45%
Spd: 40%
Cha: 40%

Strengths: Sword, Faith, Riding, Flying
Weaknesses: Brawling, Heavy Armor
Aptitude: Lance: Frozen Lance: +3 Mt, +5 Hit, 1 range, costs 4 durability. Deals magic damage. Might increases based on user's Dexterity.

Personal Skill: Animal Friend: Unit recovers up to 20% of max HP at the start of each turn when adjacent to a cavalry or flying ally.

More Detail along with Rea's thoughts here: https://rhematic.net/fe3h_lp/updates/marianne/

Nat's Thoughts

Marianne screams healer, she screams it at the top of her lungs and is unafraid of that being her role in life.

In doing so she comes with all the conceits, the best res growth in the game, appalling defense, decent mag and terrible strength. What differentiates her from Lind and Mercedes is that she learns Silence.

Silence is a very reliable support art that prevents an opponent from using magic. It even works on a range of bosses. This can be handy for setting up better initiation ranges or avoiding multiple attacks on a single unit when you’re trying to pull a pack.

Other than that, she runs a decent Mag growth on a diverse offensive spell list, bosting Thoron for range and Fimbulvetr or Aura for damage.

Oddly enough, her strength with Swords and Soulblade on her good res growth means that she’s not half bad at using a Levin sword or a heavy, high damage weapon to alpha down something powerful.

As always, she’s a healer on Maddening so she’s liable to explode if something gets to damage her with a physical attack and her personal skill, outside of a very specific class farming scenario is relatively useless. But you could go a lot worse than Marianne for the dedicated healer on your team.

The Plan

Archer->Priest->Bishop->Holy Knight

Marianne joined us later than the others and isn't going to be run as an offensive piece. I'm putting her in Holy Knight instead of Gremory because by god if I can let Marianne ride Dorte I will.

Conclusion

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Dec 15, 2021

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
He relic sword is pretty drat good, if you're willing to put her in melee range of something to use it.

At least, I remember it as being useful.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I like Marianne for being the healer that gets away from the mold of the typical mage setup due to Soulblade. She also contributes to the weird trend of Golden Deer mages being the best at alpha strikes and the most likely to one shot an enemy unit. Lysithea is still better at it, mind you, but still.

I like having 3 swords in her hands. Training Sword+ for the bargain bin cheap Soulblade, Steel Sword+ for the medium option, or Devil Sword for pure power. Having 18 might base before adding on Magic and 30% of res means she hits hard with that, and I have used her to obliterate a target. Though she does need Hit +20 to compensate for the Devil Sword.

Edit: Blutgang is oddly enough just sort of there. It does give her two targets for effective damage with Beast Fang to add to her repertoire of Alpha Strike, and that’s not nothing. But if she’s going to melee something she’s better off just using Soulblade anyways. Which means she can just use a regular sword anyways and not add to the material costs to repair a relic weapon.

Keldulas fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Dec 2, 2021

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

They say money can't buy happiness, but it sure does help.
I don't have any Maddening experience, but in difficulties below I find Marianne an excellent unit for experimenting with. She'll never have great defense or what's needed to mess with Heavy Armor, and her home role of being a standard mage is obviously the thing she's best suited for, but outside of that, if you can make it magic damage, she'll be able to rock it. Swordsmaster/Dancer/Mortal Savant/Trickster? Sure, she's even got a strength in swords. Keep her with her friend Dorte in Holy Knight/Falcon Knight/Dark Flier/Valkyrie? Strengths and riding in flying and Frozen Lance for an aptitude; she'll be even more fragile initially but can grow to be mega fast and evasive while barreling across the map. More viable for new game plus as a Real Thing, but if you decide to push her Brawling up over time, she's probably the best potential user of the Aura Knuckles, and War Cleric even offers a combo brawling/faith class that girls can hang out in.

It might just be user bias, as I am a user and I am biased towards Marianne, but she just feels solidly made for weird alternate builds.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Marianne is also a decent Dancer since Swords/Magic is right up her alley, but I do think Dorothea generally beats her considering their similarities.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

this pit is full of stat boosters
It's a shame the 3DS style Falcon Knight with healing staves doesn't exist in this game, Marianne feels like she was made to be one. I guess with how magic works in this game she can still be a flying healer as a Dark Flier, but somehow that doesn't feel the same... That or the Jugdral/Tellius style Troubadour with magic and swords.

Also you forgot to list her most damning flaw of all, which is that she doesn't have Uno.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Episode 10 - The Cause of Sorrow with Fedule

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Unit Reviews

Lorenz Hellman Gloucester

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Dec 8, 2021

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Natural 20 posted:

:hmmyes:

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Episode 11 - Where The Goddess Dwells with Alxprit

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Can't believe the goddess dwells with me.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Lorenz is the most baffling unit design in 3H to me. He's supposed to be your mixed attacker; he's designed to go either down the Cav or Mage lines. The problem is that he's kinda terrible at both because of his Speed. As a Cav it's dumpstered even further, so his only saving grace there is Frozen Lance. As a mage, he's a little bulkier than most other pure mages, but he's usually too slow to double and he's a guy with no real good Faith list, so he's just... there to drop a nuke and hope it kills or forever just be there to soften enemies up.

He might end up as an okayish Dark Knight, but why would you go to the trouble to trudge through the mediocrity.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Lorenz serves a very important purpose for any house (giving his relic to Lysithea, as nat20 pointed out) but especially for GD his role of 'freeing up a deployment slot for a recruit I like' is, much like Ignatz, significantly more important than it may seem!

let us all hail Lorenz for doing the needful here

I'm guessing, but I think his stat spread was an attempt at something unusual to provide variety which didn't really work out. The idea of a mixed attacker is fine in theory, but in practice deployment slots combined with being in the same house as one of the two premiere magic users and at least two superb physical units isn't great for him. Specialization tends to win out.

(also I gotta say those early supports are really bad, and yes he DOES grow, and that is a good thing for a character to do, but also you combine mechanical problems with a bad first impression and oof, kiss of death)

Psion fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Dec 12, 2021

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Battalions also kind of exacerbate the problem. You basically can’t be a flying hybrid because the battalions will penalize magic. So you’re stuck on the ground. The battalion you get with Thyrsus admittedly does support hybriding but it does cut down your options.

It doesn’t help that Lorenz is stuck at 4 movement for a significant chunk of the game if he wants access to his actual magic. Or that physical penalizes magic growth, and vice versa. Or Fiendish and Death Blow not working for the other. Or that the sharply curtailed skill slot system cuts down your ability to effectively use multiple weapon types.

It’s bad enough that on my Mage Sylvains I don’t bother trying to use physicals despite his relic weapon and everything.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Lorenz is functional as a pure mage but he’s still one of your worst options. Him not doubling doesn’t really matter as none of your mages will double on Maddening and Ragnarok can still one shot some enemies even on Maddening but even on Deer once you have an alternative option there’s no need to deploy him

Malah
May 18, 2015

Psion posted:

(also I gotta say those early supports are really bad, and yes he DOES grow, and that is a good thing for a character to do, but also you combine mechanical problems with a bad first impression and oof, kiss of death)
Lorenz and Manuela have a good support. That's about it I think? There's a sprinkling of noblesse oblige and otherwise:

Natural 20 posted:

Unit Reviews

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

RevolverDivider posted:

Lorenz is functional as a pure mage but he’s still one of your worst options. Him not doubling doesn’t really matter as none of your mages will double on Maddening and Ragnarok can still one shot some enemies even on Maddening but even on Deer once you have an alternative option there’s no need to deploy him

I'm vaguely curious as to how magic blessed that Lorenz was because I don't generally have any non-Lysitheas one-shot units.

His actual advantage as a mage is B rank Ragnarok and getting a 2nd A rank Black Magic spell.

It's not much because Lysithea (again) does the 'mage with multiple massive nukes' thing better than he does. It's just really glaring since they're both from Golden Deer.

To his credit, at least he's not a designated house archer, cause oof. My Lorenz was still usable at the endgame. My Ignatz was definitely not. And this was from my hard mode GD run when Maddening didn't exist yet.

Speaking of another nominal cavalier that can be turned into a mage, I found that Sylvain as a Mage has a very good ability to double. 50% speed growth, decent strength and specializing in the Fire line which is the 2nd lightest line. It's also not hard to engineer him to get C+ Armor rank either (since I usually get him C+ Axes/Armor to get him Fortress Knight at 20 for that guarenteed 17 str/def for that juicy mage tank business). So that opens up Sagittae/Bolganone attacking at full speed and even opens up Ragnarok doubling on certain targets. Though that last isn't really practical because of 3 base uses, 6 at max.

The direct comparison just kind of makes me laugh at how outclassed Lorenz is wherever you look at it.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Ignatz is designed as an Archer but he can very certainly go Assassin or even a mage (though being a guy, he still has that going against him). Notably, as a mage, his personal skill offsets the lower hit rate of the Blizzard line while taking advantage of its higher crit rate. That's certainly more than what Lorenz has to offer.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Ignatz is secretly the Deer's healer, while Marianne is another explosion maker.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Ignatz fills the valuable niche of being highly benchable.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
In my experience Ignatz was contributing basically nothing with no damage and no durability. Then in future runs on Maddening I saw how much extra effort they were to train due to terrible bases and that their growths were all the same crappy baseline.

That gave me a pretty lasting malfeasance for the house archers.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
It’s hard to be an Archer in 3H when Shamir exists.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I mean, Leonie made it work for her.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

ApplesandOranges posted:

I mean, Leonie made it work for her.

Leonie made it work in so far as, yes, if you're amazing with every physical weapon then by definition you're also a good archer.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Unit Reviews

Raphael Kirsten

HP: 65%
Str: 50%
Mag: 15%
Def: 45%
Dex: 35%
Res: 10%
Spd: 15%
Cha: 25%

Strengths: Axe, Brawling, Heavy Armor
Weaknesses: Bow, Reason, Riding

Personal Skill: Goody Basket: Chance to recover up to 10% of max HP at the start of each turn. Trigger % = Lck stat.

More Detail along with Rea's thoughts here: https://rhematic.net/fe3h_lp/updates/raphael/

Nat's Thoughts

Raphael has one plan, he is going to punch people. He is going to punch them hard in their stupid faces and they are going to regret being near him when he decides to do so. Raph runs a decent strength growth, but absolutely godawful speed, so he naturally wants to use gauntlets or quick riposte to allow him to double more naturally. He does this on an absolutely excellent HP growth and an amazing defense growth, allowing him to run as a pretty strong physical tank.

But Raph has problems. His terrible speed and awful res mean that any mage that looks at him is going to end his day on a double and again, his awful speed means that on Maddening, most units are doubling him on very high strength, meaning he's going to eat a lot of damage and that means he's going to eat a lot of actions on needing to be healed at the best.

Typically people see Raph and, seeing his strengths, put him into War Master, but like basically everyone under the sun he'll do more work for you as a Wyvern Lord with a Brave axe than anything else. His Bow weakness is unfortunate, making it a little bit more difficult to get him to hit+20 if you're that way inclined.

Other than that, there isn't much to say about the big guy. His personal skill is nearly completely useless though, but his strengths are usually powerful enough that needing him for Reunion At Dawn will keep him from the chopping block for Golden Deer runs.

The Plan

Brigand (In theory, I keep forgetting to get it on him when I find a decent grind map so this might not happen)->Warrior->War Master.

I recruited Raph late so he's not getting the full Hit+20 Death Blow fun that his buddies are. He's going into War Master rather than Wyvern Lord, more for variety than anything else as well as to put a little less pressure on my battalions. It's likely that he'll get phased out near the end of the campaign though, I largely wanted his paralogue and his body for tanking in the upcoming chapters.

Conclusion

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
On a seperate note: Have you done the Ashen Wolf Paralogues? Do you want to spend 30 minutes to an hour of your time making fun of me about Fire Emblem? Then PM me or something so we can deal with the fun that is Chapter 11 and Paralogueaggedon.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I don't really agree that Raphael falls into the category of 'train to make Reunion at Dawn' easier. He's part of the 3 group after all, and by the time those people arrive, the fight's largely won or lost by then and it's cleanup time. Plus since Lysithea is in that group (it's own annoyance) and is likely holding Thyrsus, she can solo that side due to all the inhibiting terrain enabling the first strike... which is all she needs.

If anyone gets trained to make your life easier on Reunion at Dawn, I'd say it's Lorenz. Due to being mage-capable, he was helpful to me due to healing and just being able to blast someone. And adding another person that can heal that isn't the MC for the intial parts.

Reunion at Dawn was when I learnt to truly hate Ignatz for being completely useless. Being part of the first 4 threw him into having to actually fight, and it becoming abundantly clear he can't do damage or take a hit, and was just burning Divine Pulse whenever I tried to make him part of my plans. And this was just on Hard too since it was my first run.

Though now that I think about it, I'd probably do Mage Ignatz on my eventual GD Maddening. The worst comes to worst and he ends up disappointing again, he at least becomes someone that can Heal and Physic. Which... is actually helpful on that map due to the aforementioned lack of healing to start. Or maybe I go dumb and just turn him into my Dancer so I have a Dancer in the opening bit, I dunno.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
My Lorenz analysis being completely evenhanded and true aside.

Lorenz as a Dark Mage ends up functional for RaD, nobody else is using that class anyway. Healer Ignatz is equally functional, he gets physic which is basically all you need really. On my VW Maddening run I dropped them like hot potatoes afterwards, but I knew that they were coming as part of the first wave so I didn't neglect them.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Funny story about Lorenz’s primary use, I didn’t actually get that benefit on that first run. See, I misinterpreted the text on it and thought it had a chance to halve the damage the mage was firing out, as a balancing point. Because it seemed way too broken otherwise. Imagine my surprise when on the last GD map, I use it on a whim and go, ‘oh, this is incredibly busted’. Got to enjoy the Lysithea experience for that one map in GD at least….

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Something I always do when using Raphael is give him a Hexlock shield and a stock of Pure Water.

He's slow enough that with or without the shield he'll be doubled anyway, so might as well take the extra Res.

Also, as he's basically always getting doubled that +11 Res applies twice, saving him 22 HP per mage encounter.

He'll still pop if you let him get swarmed by mages, but in one on one encounters it lets him survive long enough to get in close to Punch. Especially if you have the spare skills slots for Tomebreaker to occasionally dodge the spells.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The upside of Raphael is that he'll pick up Healing Focus pretty easily and can pretty much use it to keep himself decently healthy (and to maintain Quick Riposte). Having so much HP also means it'll heal more, too.

Honestly he's an alright unit, and GD generally lacks frontliners anyway (Lorenz is usually better off as a mage, even with his flaws in that class)... his main issue really is that Balthus exists. Otherwise he's good punch unit, better than Caspar and easier to keep relevant than Dedue.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

I generally use Raphael until I have better options and he’s very useful early on but much like Dedue he falls off incredibly hard and he’s not nearly as helpful as Dedue is early game. Still better then Caspar though

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Dancer Raphael is also funny because he has so much bulk and you can either throw him a Sword for Sword Avo or just go barehanded and he'll do fine on the frontlines.

He also has the best colour scheme as a Dancer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Unit Reviews

Manuela Casagranda

HP: 50%
Str: 35%
Mag: 35%
Def: 30%
Dex: 40%
Res: 25%
Spd: 60%
Cha: 50%

Strengths: Sword, Faith, Flying
Weaknesses: Reason, Heavy Armor

Personal Skill: Infirmary Master: Adjacent allies gain Crit Avo +10 during combat.

More Detail along with Rea's thoughts here: https://rhematic.net/fe3h_lp/updates/manuela/

Nat's Thoughts

Manuela is a hot mess.

But speaking about her as a unit in game. Well, she's also a hot mess. Her only real growth is speed and to be fair, she's in the Ingrid/Petra/Leonie speed tier, which is to say, blazing fast. Her offensive growth is only 5% less than the other speedy girls, but for some reason I've always felt that to a fairly large extent.

She doesn't really have the Dex or Luck to run a crit based build and her unfortunate weakness in reason prevents her from really being an effective caster as well. She gets Bolting! But it's going to be near impossible to get in a Crimson Flower run.

And as someone who's ostensibly positioned as something of a healer, she doesn't have Physic or Recover, running Ward and Warp instead. Warp is great, don't get me wrong, and ward has its uses, but it means it's often difficult to place her in a niche anywhere in the game.

The DLC was good to her, however. Trickster allows her to lean into both her Faith specialisation and her Sword specialisation, granting her an excellent speed growth for the best possible results there.

But unfortunately, even with that she struggles for an impact on Maddening the way I'd like her to have.

The Plan

Bishop->Trickster

Manuela joined late and her use from me will be very limited. I originally didn't intend to use her at all but I had a little space in my army and I like her a lot so she'll get more exposure than simply joining for her paralogue.

Conclusion