Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

About the Game

Fire Emblem: Three Houses is the 15th main title in the titular franchise, released in 2019 by Nintendo on the Switch. Taking the role of Byleth, a teacher at the Officer's Academy, a military school in Fodlan, the player must guide their students through trials and tribulations and try to discover the mystery of what is happening at the Academy and in the World at large. A turn based strategy game that was widely praised, it continued the example set by Fire Emblem Fates by splitting the game up into various routes, determined by the House the player chooses at the beginning of the game.

Owing to its popularity, Nintendo maintained DLC support through the game in the year after its release, crucially releasing a "Maddening" difficulty in September of 2019.

I'm not going to lie when I say that I love this game. Maddening especially. The freedom that you have to build your characters into killing machines resembles Fire Emblem Awakening in its creativity and Maddening makes pursuing that optimisation feel so much more rewarding.

About the LP

As mentioned earlier, Three Houses has multiple routes that you can follow. A prior LP, by Rea: Fire Emblem: Three Houses, or: 3 Fires, 3 Emblems, 3 Houses got through three of the four routes, ending after an amazing effort, just before the final route, Crimson Flower. The intent of this LP is to finish that route and that route alone.

To that extent, knowledge of the OTHER routes will be taken as given, you don't need to spoiler tag anything to do with them. But please keep any spoilers to do with the Crimson Flower route under tags until we get to the events.

The LP will be done on Maddening difficulty under New Game settings, so a run that would get a player the special title screen for its completion. The intent of the LP is to demonstrate (my opinion on) how to play Maddening and show tricks on dealing with each level under very limited resources.

It should be noted, that whilst the intent of the LP is to finish off Three Houses where Rea left off, the LP itself isn't intended as a pure continuation of the original. I don't know what pairings or ideas Rea had for the old LP and I have my own fun ideas for what I want to do with the characters.

Additionally this LP will take the form of a very very heavily edited VLP. The format, whilst typically not as good for Fire Emblem games, lends itself well to how I want to explain Maddening mode strategy and my own preferences as a player.

I'll be recording with a rotating host of colour commentators who'll ask me questions and point out dumb stuff that I did, I'll credit them as we go along.

The LP will update intermittently. The format, as mentioned, requires very heavy editing, so is more taxing on my time than a regular video. ((Additionally gameplay time requirements are much longer))

About Discourse

Discussion around Edelgard, the protagonist of this route, in the fanbase and across the internet, is for lack of a better word, appalling. I am absolutely determined that this thread does not sink into people screaming at each other over this.

There is absolutely a legitimate discussion to have around the morality and efficacy of what Edelgard does in this route and I am certain that we are capable of having that discussion in a way that's productive and engaging. That being said, if I get a whiff of someone attacking another poster or see drivebys of "Edelgard is a fascist" landing here, I will not be above locking the thread until next update or reporting offending posts to the moderators. This is a request to please be sensible and please be considerate of other posters, even if you fundamentally disagree with them.

Episodes

White Clouds
Episode 01 - Prologue - With Alxprit
Episode 02 - Mock Battle - With Alxprit
Episode 03 - Familiar Scenery - With Hunt11
Episode 04 - The Magdred Ambush - With Alxprit
Episode 05 - The Goddess's Rite of Rebirth - With Mustachionut
Episode 06 - Tower of Black Winds - With Alxprit
Episode 07 - Rumors of a Reaper - With Myself??
Episode 08 - Field of the Eagle and Lion - With Bifauxnen
Episode 09 - The Flame in the Darkness - With Alxprit
Episode 10 - The Cause of Sorrow - With Fedule
Episode 11 - Where The Goddess Dwells - With Alxprit
Episode 12 - Throne of Knowledge - With Alxprit
Episode 12.5 - Paralogeddon
Episode 13 - Outset of a Power Struggle - With Bifauxnen

Crimson Flower
Episode 14 - Beyond Escape - With Alxprit
Episode 15 - The Master Tactician - With Mustachionut
Episode 16 - Tempest of Swords and Shields - With Alxprit
Episode 17 - Lady of Deceit - With Seri
Episode 18 - Paralogue Roundup 2 - With Bifauxnen
Episode 19 - Field of Revenge - With ZeShado
Episode 20 - To End a Dream - With Alxprit
Crimson Flower But Needlessly Tragic

Unit Reviews

Byleth-M
Hubert von Vestra
Dorothea Arnault
Ferdinand Von Aegir
Petra Macneary
Linhardt von Hevring
Bernadetta von Varley
Caspar von Bergliez
Constance con Nuvelle
Lysithea von Ordelia
Shamir Nevrand
Leonie Pinelli
Felix Hugo Fraldarius
Annette Fantine Dominic
Marianne von Edmund
Lorenz Hellman Gloucester
Raphael Kirsten
Manuela Casagranda
Edelgard von Hresvelg
Jeritza von Hrym

Bonus Content!

Character Growth Progress 1
Character Growth Progress 2-1
Character Growth Progress 2-2
The Shadow Library 1
The Shadow Library 2
Fire Emblem Three Houses - Managing the Monastery

Links

Our Patreon! - In case you want to support our LPs and see episodes early!

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Apr 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

FeyerbrandX posted:

Yeah, I wasn't expecting a new thread until Friday. Will this be sharing the stage with the blind Dread LP or will "heavy editing" mean "this is going to be done in a week"?

Heavy editing means that a lot of stuff will be cut. For context, my run through Chapter 2 took me four hours but the video will be thirty minutes.

It also won't conflict with Dread which will run on our standard Monday/Wednesday/Friday release schedule. I'm basically making these videos as I go and I'll update and post the LP when they're ready, rather than adhering to my usually very strict update schedule.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

midnight lasagna posted:

3 Houses! I think this might be my favourite FE game in the whole series, at least when I view the game as a whole. Sometimes it feels like the more I enjoy a game's story the less I like playing it, but I feel like 3H has a great combination of writing and gameplay.

Jeralt's not actually capable of stealing the Kostas kill - in fact I'm pretty sure green units can't kill bosses at all. Jeralt can damage him but he'll never drop him below 1 HP. Doesn't stop them from trying though!

That's really interesting. I've seen Jeralt murder the Remire boss so I just never left this one to chance. Obviously the prologue isn't very taxing but it's still really good to know!

Rea posted:

Let it be known that my only regret with ending my LP after three routes was that I never got to post this.

Sadly, some people could not stop aggro posting at each other over years-old video game discourse, and it got to me.

Godspeed, Natural 20.

As I mentioned before, that rules and the game should have had more bi and gay pairings in by default.

No I'm not still salty about Claude.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Episode 02 - Mock Battle - With Alxprit

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Unit Reviews

Inspired by the excellent Conquest LP happening right now I thought I would get into reviewing the units that we have and will be recruiting. (And also explain why I'm using/not using units what my plans for them are)

Byleth-M

HP: 45%
Str: 45%
Lck: 45%
Mag: 35%
Def: 35%
Dex: 45%
Res: 30%
Spd: 45%
Cha: 45%

Strengths: Sword, Brawling, Authority
Aptitude: Faith: White Magic Avo +20: Grants Avo +20 when using white magic.
Personal Skill: Professor's Guidance: Multiplies this unit's and adjacent allies' experience earned by 1.2
Unique Class: Enlightened One

More Detail along with Rea's thoughts here: https://rhematic.net/fe3h_lp/updates/adan_abby/

Nat's Thoughts

For better or worse you're stuck with Byleth in this game. Off the bat it's important to note that FByleth is significantly better in maddening than MByleth and that I didn't pick her is an indicator that I'm not powergaming my character choices.

FByleth gains a free Sylvain which is huge because that's a free early Lance of Ruin and has Pegasus Knight access, which gives both Darting Blow (+6 Speed on initiation) for early on, guaranteeing doubles through the midgame and Falcon Knight access late (FK is arguably better than Wyvern Lord late, losing 5% str growth but gainin 10% spd growth in return). Additionally, if you're aiming that way, she makes for a competent magician with a decent spell list and access to Gremory as well as Dark Flier.

MByleth gets access to War Master and the warrior/brawler classes, granting Wrath and Quick Riposte. Whilst these can work, if you're going for a punch build, they have issues in that, especially on a shorter route like Crimson Flower, they come online very late. Wrath can work as part of a vantage crit build, but it's usually a lot more effort than its worth, especially compared to the mobility canto access generates.

In terms of their general stats, there's nothing too bad here, Byleth will usually come out as decently fast, decently tanky and with Enlightened One, will have a diverse set of attacks to work from. Access to the Sauna and Faculty training means that Byleth can do almost anything he wants by the mid to lategame and get those classes easily. Innate Distant Counter on the sword of the Creator does a lot to help with his attack diversity, especially with Ruptured Sky/Sublime Heaven as combat arts.

The issue that he has is ironically one generated by his generalist nature. Almost all Byleth's stats are on a slightly weighted coinflip, so if you're unlucky and toss tails too many times, you can end up with a main character that has surprisingly low strength and speed. Enlightened One, which has very good growths, unfortunately does nothing for speed in particular, so often Byleths can find themselves falling off late against enemies they should have been expecting to double.

The Plan

Byleth is going to go through Fighter for the +5 str growth rate, Brigand for Death Blow, Archer for Hit +20 before settling into Mercenary->Swordmaster->Assassin (We might throw in Trickster if we have time). The aim of this build order is to give him the best shot possible of getting good strength and speed growths as he levels so we can beat the coinflip and have something powerful to drop into Enlightened One for the endgame.

Wyvern Lord is possible but there isn't that much Faculty Tuition time available and getting Axes and Flying up that high whilst still being competitive on Maddening will be a big ask.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Unit Reviews

Hubert von Vestra

HP: 35%
Str: 30%
Lck: 35%
Mag: 55%
Def: 25%
Res: 40%
Cha: 35%

Strengths: Bow, Reason, Authority
Weaknesses: Axe, Faith, Flying
Aptitude: Lance: Frozen Lance: +3 Mt, +5 Hit, +0 Crit, 1 range, costs 4 durability. Deals magic damage. Might increases based on user's Dexterity.
Personal Skill: Officer Duty: Grants Mt +5 with gambits.
More Detail along with Rea's thoughts here: https://rhematic.net/fe3h_lp/updates/hubert/

Nat's Thoughts
Oh Hubert. He’s only playable with the Black Eagles and only on the Crimson Flower route which means that he’s strictly optional and can be replaced with recruits. And on Maddening, you’re probably going to want to do that, unless you’re completely insane like a certain LPer.
So, what’s the problem? Hubert suffers from being a man. In the usual sense and in the sense that in Three Houses, men don’t get access to Gremory or Dark Flier, the best magic classes. This leaves Hubert in a spot of bother when it comes to finalising his build. It’s clear from his strengths and aptitude that he’s intended to become a Dark Knight by the end of the game, but unfortunately the class lacks the mobility of the aforementioned Dark Flier and the double casting charges of Gremory. Additionally, Crimson Flower is rife with obstacles that hinder cavalry movement later in the game, making his progression into that class even more uncomfortable. Top that off with a weakness in Faith and it becomes tremendously difficult for him to even find a role as a supporting character.

Inevitably the question Hubert faces is, “Why should I use this guy instead of Lysithea, Dorothea, Constance or Annette?” and if I’m honest, there isn’t a good answer for it unless you enjoy his gothy self.

So, what’s good about him and what can we do with him? His spell list is unique, with Dark Magic spells that focus on debuffing his opponents. Additionally with Mire he can strike from 3 range early in the game which means that he’s powerful early, when replacing him isn’t an option. His personal skill is excellent, five power extra power makes his gambits potent early and his authority strength means that he’ll get very powerful battalions in the mid to late game. He also has decent speed growth for a magic user, which makes him good for taking down armour units on maddening, if not enough to reliably defend him against the archers and bow knights that show up.

The Plan

Hubert is going to run Monk->Mage->Archer->Dark Mage->Warlock->Dark Bishop/Dark Knight.

It’s a simple plan, Mage gives him Fiendish Blow, Archer gives Hit+20, Dark Mage is for flavour. Warlock gives him Bowbreaker and then he’ll switch between Dark Bishop and Dark Knight based on the map requirements. I don’t imagine he’ll move mountains but he should hopefully make a good account of himself.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Unit Reviews

Dorothea Arnault

HP: 40%
Str: 20%
Mag: 40%
Def: 15%
Res: 35%
Spd: 40%
Cha: 40%

Strengths: Sword, Reason
Weaknesses: Riding, Flying
Aptitude: Faith: White Magic Avo +20: Grants Avo +20 when using white magic.
Personal Skill: Songstress: Adjacent allies recover up to 10% of max HP at the start of each turn.
More Detail along with Rea's thoughts here: https://rhematic.net/fe3h_lp/updates/dorothea/

Nat's Thoughts

Dorothea is an enigma. She can vary wildly in people's estimation going from one of the best and most valuable units in the game to one of the worst.

The first thing to get out the way is Songstress. To me this is far and away the best personal skill in the game. On her home route, it allows Dorothea to trivalise early maps for the Black Eagles on Maddening through unlimited healing output making her tremendously valuable early. In the midgame it lets the player set up very very easy and lucrative skill grinding traps (which I'll show off deeper into the LP) and in the late game it still remains a relevant bonus. There isn't another personal skill in the game that defines entire strategies the way that this does.

In combat you'd be forgiven for wondering what she has over Hubert, running lower growths in Magic and Speed. But she has a few things going for her. Firstly, she's a girl so she can Dark Flier / Gremory with the best of them. But her growth rates still stop her from comparing favourably to the likes of Lysithea. Her spell list is what keeps her relevant. Thoron is an easily accessible 3 range spell which means she's good on the back line for supporting her allies and deleting her enemies. But the kicker is Meteor, with its massive range and ability to delete any single enemy that has looked at you funny.

Her Faith list also has physic which means she can also retain value in a supporting role if there's nobody in particular you want to blow up.

Her downside is that like almost all mages, she explodes if hit by physical damage. Her speed growth rate, especially on maddening can land her in hot water and make her vulnerable to doubles. And eventually Lysithea's raw power and Constance's Bolting access will just outstrip her entirely from an offensive magic standpoint.

This is where Dancer comes in. Dorothea is in the conversation for the best dancer in the game. There are broadly two schools of thought on dancing in three houses. The first is that your dancer is there to act as a support unit for your team, the second using Dancer to effectively grant a character more avoid and turn them into a dodge tank. Meteor and Physic access, alongside her excellent Charm growth make Dorothea great within the former role. Meteor essentially giving dancer Dorothea a 10 range aura that gives all characters within it +5 hit and physic giving her a role if for some reason she's not able to dance on her turn. I personally prefer this style and so Dorothea is to me, one of the best units in the game. That being said, if you see dancer as more effectively deployed in the latter role, then it's very easy for her to get lost in the shuffle.

The Plan

Commoner->Monk->Warlock->Archer->Pegasus Knight->Dancer.

Very simple here, Warlock, Archer and Pegasus Knight grant Dorothea Hit +20 and Swift Sparrow (Fiendish Blow or Death Blow combined with Darting Blow), so that she has decent offense. Then she moves into Dancer and stays there providing buffs for the rest of the game.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Obligatum VII posted:

because dancing requires being close to the front line, since you need to be adjacent to the unit you want to dance at, I prefer the dodge tank variant of dancer since they can actually get in the thick of things without too much concern. Plus, Dancer Ferdie is just plain funny to me.

You also neglected to mention that as long as it is not spent, unless I am misremembering, meteor allows Dorothea to count for links as long as she's within meteor range of a target, which is some really nice utility just for standing there. This applies to all the massive range spells though, so she's not the only unit who can do that.

I wasn't the most clear!

Natural 20 posted:

Meteor essentially giving dancer Dorothea a 10 range aura that gives all characters within it +5 hit and physic giving her a role if for some reason she's not able to dance on her turn.

This is essentially discussing Meteor generating linked attacks for anyone in range. Every additional unit in a linked attack up to a limit of 3 grants +5 hit, hence the comment about the +5 hit aura that Dorothea has.

I think the Fetters of Dromi (Yuri's relic) should probably have been mentioned in the comments about support dancer, since granting your dancer +1 Mov and Canto means that support dancer finds it a lot easier to stay off the second line. But yes, you're absolutely right that without the DLC tank dancer gets relatively stronger and Ferdinand is absolutely hilarious as one.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Unit Reviews

Ferdinand von Aegir

HP: 50%
Lck: 40%
Mag: 20%
Def: 35%
Dex: 40%
Res: 20%
Spd: 50%

Strengths: Sword, Lance, Axe, Riding
Aptitude: Heavy Armor: Seal Speed: If unit damages foe during combat, foe suffers Spd -6 for 1 turn after combat.
Personal Skill: Confidence: Grants Hit/Avo +15 when unit is at full HP.
More Detail along with Rea's thoughts here: https://rhematic.net/fe3h_lp/updates/ferdinand/

Nat's Thoughts

Ferdinand is a character that is more than he appears to be.

On the surface he doesn't appear amazing, his growths aren't spectacular anywhere, running a speed coinflip and a weighted flip on his strength. His strength in all melee weapons apart from fists indicates that he wants to be a frontline physical melee unit, but his somewhat weak defense growth can get in the way of that as well and his heavy armour and riding proficiency strongly indicates that the game wants him to end up as a Great Knight. The problem is that Great Knight is an absolutely dogshit class, introducing armour weaknesses and taking movement away from the Paladin. So Ferdinand gets pigeonholed into either, becoming a wyvern lord like everyone else or never promoting out of Paladin.

So what does he have going for him? Left in the role the game suggests, Ferdinand has an excellent combat art on lances at A, swift strikes allows him to brave with any lance for some brutal results, so if he comes out on the right side of strength he's going to be a monster on player phase. His sword Combat art, Sunder, is dirt cheap and runs a high crit chance as well. So he can be strong on player phase and he lacks any weaknesses which makes it easy to adapt him into new classes and roles.

However, gamechanger for him is Dancer Ferdinand. Dancer grants sword avoid +20 when given to a character, meaning that they have +20 avoid with a sword equipped. Ferdinand's personal skill gives him another +15 avoid when he's at max HP. Since it's easy enough to train him in flying, he can also dip to get Alert Stance, which grants another +15 avoid if the wait action is used. Dancer Ferdinand is an absolutely amazing dodge tank and prior to the introduction of the Ashen Wolves, was easily the best combat dancer in the game, contesting Dorothea as the best overall dancer in the game.

Following the introduction of the Wolves, Ferdinand's relative power fell somewhat. The Fetters of Dromi, which grant canto to the character that uses them were a bigger boon for support dancers than combat dancers, allowing the support units to get out of danger. The other problem is Yuri, who arguably is able to perform in the same dodge and speed tanking role better than Ferdinand, due to better overall growths and his own personal skill synergy.

All that being said, we'll be using Ferdinand in his combat role in this LP and see if we can't find something exciting to do with him.

The Plan

Noble->Fighter->Archer->Brigand->Paladin->Wyvern Rider->Wyvern Lord

Simple enough, dip into Archer and Brigand for Hit+20 and Death Blow, then to Paladin for Aegis. Wyvern Rider and Lord are there because technically they'll be the most effective classes for Ferdie but I'd also be happy enough sitting him in Paladin for the rest of the game.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Episode 03 - Familiar Scenery - With Hunt11

Updates will come a little slower now as my Metroid Dread LP starts tomorrow.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Unit Reviews

Petra Macneary

Str: 40%
Mag: 25%
Def: 30%
Dex: 50%
Res: 15%
Spd: 60%

Strengths: Sword, Axe, Bow, Flying
Weaknesses: Reason, Faith
Personal Skill: Hunter's Boon: Grants Crit +20 when foe's HP is ≤ 50%.
More Detail along with Rea's thoughts here: https://rhematic.net/fe3h_lp/updates/petra/

Nat's Thoughts

It is hard to properly explain just how broken Petra is. She ranks among the top five characters in the game (in my opinion) in terms of what she can do, which is straight up annihilate most of Maddening's midgame. Across six chapters from 13-18 in Verdant Wind, Silver Snow and Azure Moon she will break the game in two; on her native route she's merely incredibly strong if not completely insane.

So what's going on?

On face Petra is your typical Myrmidon. She's fast, accurate but only has moderate strength growth with terrible defenses. On Maddening this is actually quite good to start off with. Her speed means it's very rare that anything will double her and that means that her low defenses don't matter too much because as low as they are, very few things will actually kill you in one hit in Maddening. Her personal skill has some use to it, she gets a lot of doubles so the second hit of those doubles tends to get the benefit. She ends up as a rather strong defensive piece on this difficulty as a result of her speed and her tendency to the Assassin line which helps sure it up and her strength in flying and axes mean that she can easily get into Wyvern Lord/Falcon Knight as she likes.

That said, she's not taking two enemy defensive zones all that easily and if you simply looked at growth you'd notice her strength gain isn't all that hot, meaning she can end up doubling but failing to kill.

Of course that ignores what breaks the game. Petra has a dex growth of 50% and a luck growth of 45%. This puts her combined growth at 95, just below Claude at 105 and tied for second best in the game, but of course Petra is a girl who can get Darting Blow.

In Three Houses, critical strike chance is determined by this formula: (Weapon Crit) + [(Dexterity + Luck) / 2] + (Ability bonus) + (Equipment bonus) + (Battalion bonus), where ability bonus is the bonus you get from any skills you have. This means the average of your Dexterity and Luck Growth is your crit growth and Petra's is absolutely bonkers. There are two swords in Three Houses, the Wo Dao+ and the Cursed Ashiya Sword+ that grant 40 and 50 crit respectively and surprise surprise, Petra specialises in sword usage. The classes she leans towards going for, all generate significant bonuses to crit growth and Swordmaster in particular will grant Sword crit as a native ability.

In Three houses, critical strike avoidance is determined by this formula: (Luck) + (Ability bonus). Even in Maddening most enemies dumpster their luck like it is going out of style.

Realistically this means that Petra, with a crit sword and built for crit, will crit every single enemy in the game on every single hit she performs. As long as you even slightly manage or boost her strength, she will be monstrous. Nothing (human) will survive a single hit from her and if anything does, she's got the speed to double and crit them down. The only downside is that on Crimson Flower the Ashiya Sword isn't available so crit chances and power will be slightly lower than normal.

This build has carried every single Maddening run I have done and Petra is the absolute best in the game at it.

Well, except for maybe one other character.

The Plan

Petra is on the bench because I'm using the other character in my playthrough. Much as I love her, Petra doesn't have all that much that's interesting to say on Crimson Flower outside of a certain support that I really love.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Unit Reviews

Linhardt von Hevring

HP: 30%
Mag: 45%
Res: 45%
Cha: 20%

Strengths: Reason, Faith
Weaknesses: Axe, Brawling
Personal Skill: Catnap: If unit takes no action except Wait, recovers up to 10% of max HP.
More Detail along with Rea's thoughts here: https://rhematic.net/fe3h_lp/updates/linhardt/

Nat's Thoughts

Linhardt is serviceable, that's the best that can be said of him. He's the Black Eagle's healer, mirroring Marianne and Mercedes in the other houses. His spell list reflects this, with access to some of the better white magic spells in Physic and Warp. Physic especially allows him to support the Eagles through the midgame effectively and keeps him way out of the action they way he wants. Like all mages, on maddening he'll explode if anyone looks at him slightly funny. His Black Magic list isn't really anything to write home about though. Excalibur at A is the only really strong spell, good for exploding fliers, but other than that, Wind is actually a pretty good basic spell because of the accuracy on Maddening.

Unfortunately there are problems. The first is that Lin suffers from being a man. No access to Dark Flier and Gremory limits him significantly in the endgame. Additionally early, as we've shown on this run, Dorothea does what he's intended to do better on the hard early maps. By the time he gets to physic there's a good chance you'll have managed to get Dorothea's faith in line and be on the way to getting her physic, but additionally you'll probably have poached a caster or two. (Especially given how easy it is to get Constance)

Beyond that, there's little else to say. Lin isn't going to break the game, but you won't be owning yourself if you use him.

The Plan

Lin is being used early for healing charges, but he's quickly going to be replaced out. He saw a lot of play in Rea's LP (primarily because Adan married him) and like a lot of the Eagles, he's often less interesting on his own route than he is on others. We'll see a little of him later though.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Unit Reviews

Bernadetta von Varley

Str: 35%
Lck: 25%
Def: 20%
Dex: 55%
Strengths: Lance, Bow
Weaknesses: Sword, Axe, Brawling, Heavy Armor
Aptitude: Riding: Pass: Allows unit to pass through spaces occupied by foes.
Personal Skill: Persecution Complex: Grants Atk +5 when unit is not at full HP.
More Detail along with Rea's thoughts here: https://rhematic.net/fe3h_lp/updates/bernadetta/

Nat's Thoughts

Bernadetta is a fairly marmitey character. Some people think she’s one of the most outstanding units in the game, others don’t really care for her and this I also find runs true of her personality as well.

So what’s going on with her? The first thing to talk about is Persecution Complex. A lot of people will swear by this ability and with good reason. +5 MT when not at full HP is excellent. It’s very easy to activate because if Bernie ever gets an HP growth in a map then she sits one below max and her complex comes online. This means that early, when you’re getting levels quite quickly, she’ll hit hard. You can even do some cooky stuff like running a fruit of life on her and having her eat it at the beginning of the map to gain +1 Max HP and increase her power.

But the problem is that outside of Persecution complex, Bernie is not good. She has poor strength growth and speed that’s a coinflip. Crucially she’s running an Axe weakness so getting her into Brigand is a lot more work than you’d like it to be.

There’s an out there maddening build based on Lance Bernadetta. Her lance combat art is Vengeance which scales damage based on missing HP. In theory if you get her to the right HP threshold, she becomes an absolute menace in melee, being able to oneshot large portions of the maddening enemy portfolio. For my money it’s more trouble than it’s worth, but Pegasus knight Bernie is not out of the question.

The Plan

Bernie is off the table for this LP. She got a lot of shine with Rea and like many of the Beagles, there isn't too much that's exclusive to her on her own route.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Unit Reviews

Caspar von Bergliez

HP: 55%
Mag: 25%
Cha: 25%
Strengths: Axe, Brawling
Weaknesses: Bow, Reason, Authority
Personal Skill: Born Fighter: Adjacent foes suffer Avo -10 during combat.
More Detail along with Rea's thoughts here: https://rhematic.net/fe3h_lp/updates/caspar/

Nat's Thoughts

Oh Caspar.

Caspar is here to punch people and occasionally bash their head in with an axe. To an extent this works, even on Maddening, gauntlets, with their brave effect are very good. My own playstyle, tends to shy away from them though. You can't brawl on a mount and I have stronger plans for what grounded characters can do.

In theory Caspar can also try to act as an enemy phase wall, running quick riposte and wrath to dunk enemies with crits, but he runs into problems.

Caspar's growths and statline don't really support what he wants to do on Maddening. He's actually quite fast; but often he's not fast enough to deal with the real threats on Maddening meaning his low defenses see the big single hit enemies power through him and the fast double hit enemies double him down. The weakness in authority really doesn't help either with Battalions being a great source of stats deeper into the game. And unfortunately for him, he doesn't have a crest or a personal skill that plugs this gap reasonably.

So all you can do with him is run him as a Brawler and hope that he comes out okay with strength and speed. But the Brawler archetype in general results in a lot of issues around mobility in this game.

The Plan

Caspar's being subbed out. If i were playing super tryhard I would have used Balthus straight away, but I have another plan.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Episode 04 - The Magdred Ambush with Alxprit

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Unit Reviews

Constance von Nuvelle

HP: 20%
Lck: 15%
Mag: 60%
Dex: 35%
Spd: 35%
Strengths: Sword, Reason, Authority, Flying
Weaknesses: Axe, Heavy Armor
Aptitude: Brawling: Mystic Blow: +10 Mt, +10 Hit, 1 range, costs 3 durability. Deals magic damage.
Personal Skill: Circadian Beat: Grants Str/Mag +3 when the map is either indoors, covered in fog of war, or takes place at night. Grants Def/Res +3 otherwise.
More Detail along with Rea's thoughts here: https://rhematic.net/fe3h_lp/updates/constance/

Nat's Thoughts

It is hard to understate how powerful Constance is. I used to think that Lysithea was the best mage in the game, but the more I think about it, the more that I think it's Constance. She ranks in what I see as the top three characters in the game for Maddening and you've already seen her go to work here.

So what's so powerful? Constance has the same insane Mag growth as Lysithea of 60%, but runs much lower speed and dexterity. She'll have a harder time than Lysithea does doubling the warrior type classes we'll see later in the game, which means there are some kills Lysithea can get that Constance can't, especially given Lysithea's Dark magic spell list.

But Constance has probably the best single spell list in the game. On the white magic side she's running Rescue and Abraxas on a gigantic magic stat meaning that she's going to be teleporting people cross map with no issues very quickly. On the Black Magic side she's got Sagittae to target evasive targets and Fimbulventr for crit fishing. But the main thing is Bolting. She is a mage with 60% magic growth and a 2 charge 10 range spell. As a gremory she has four uses of this thing. If that wasn't enough, her Major Crest of Noa gives her a 20% chance of refunding spell uses, which means if she uses 4 Bolting charges there's around a 60% chance or so that she'll get another one.

This is insanity. Is there an enemy formation that you need to aggro but has inconvenient attack ranges? Bolting.

Is there a siege engine you don't want to deal with? Caduceus staff and Bolting.

She's even really good at getting Dark Flier because of her strength in flying which means in some situations you can walk in, Bolting something at range and then canto out to disrupt the game even more.

It's unbelievable. Prior to the DLC Dorothea was considered one of the better mages in the game purely off the utility of Meteor and Constance has that but with double charges on a Lysithea level mage.

Add on to all of that, near perfect strengths for what she wants to do and crucially an authority strength to get to really powerful battalions early and Constance will take your Maddening run on her back and power you through to an endgame you didn't think you were going to get.

The Plan

Noble->Monk->Mage->Pegasus Knight->Archer->Warlock->Dark Flier/Gremory

Standard plan with most casters, get her that delicious Swift Sparrow Hit+20, run her through Warlock for Bowbreaker so that Dark Flier has more security and then switch between that and Gremory based on the map.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Nov 9, 2021

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Episode 05 - The Goddess's Rite of Rebirth with Mustachionut

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Hapi is basically a mix of Hubert and Lindhardt. She's a debuff mage with a very, very good 3 range spell. She likes Valkyrie a lot because it lets her safely poke a lot of units with the extra range, using Swarm to slow fast units for kills, Banshee to cause traffic jams and Death for killing. As Eimi rightly points out, her Faith list is Lind's, so she serves as a strong healer.

Edit: I would really like to see what the logic on gender restrictions returning was. They must have had a reason, even if it's lol sexism, I'd still like to know.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Nov 1, 2021

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Accidentally blew up my Yuri review.

I might just scream.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Nov 9, 2021

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Episode 06 - Tower of Black Winds with Alxprit

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Nov 8, 2021

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

NGDBSS posted:

You posted #5 rather than #6, which is here.

Thanks! I'm an idiot.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Unit Reviews

Lysithea Von Ordelia

HP: 20%
Str: 15%
Lck: 15%
Mag: 60%
Def: 10%
Dex: 60%
Res: 25%
Strengths: Reason, Faith, Authority
Weaknesses: Sword, Lance, Axe, Heavy Armor
Aptitude: Sword: Soulblade: +2 Mt, +10 Hit, 1 range, costs 4 durability. Deals magic damage. Might increases based on user's Resistance.
Personal Skill: Mastermind: Doubles skill experience earned in battle.
More Detail along with Rea's thoughts here: https://rhematic.net/fe3h_lp/updates/lysithea/

Nat's Thoughts

Lysithea is considered by many to be the best mage in the game. Some would even go so far as to call her the best single unit in the game. Whilst I'm not that high on her, I think she ranks behind a couple of the house leaders and noted busted DLC mage, Constance, I do think she's tremendous as is obvious by the speed with which I recruited her.

So what's going on?

Lysithea has a monstrous magic growth of 60% She will send things back to the stone age with how hard she hits, but what sets her stats apart is her speed growth of 50%, which is excellent for a Mage. This means Lysithea serves an important role on most teams as an armour/warrior buster on Maddening. Her speed means that even with Maddening pushing stats sky high, she'll be able to double the slower enemy archetypes and absolutely nothing in the game is surviving a Lysithea double.

Her spell list is one of the best in the game as her Dark Magic gives her access to excellent offensive utility. Swarm can slow enemies to a crawl and Dark Spikes will destroy horses and rather infamously send the Death Knight crying. Her more powerful spells, Luna and Hades are nothing to sneeze at either, with Luna ignoring enemy Res for gigantic amounts of damage against typical enemy mage slayers like Pegasus Knights and Hades with an absolutely insane 18MT.

What's more, you can add to that an excellent White Magic list, containing Seraphim for blowing up Monsters and of all things Warp, which on Lysithea's incredible Mag will amount to a near full map teleport by the end of the game.

Lysithea's weakness, if you could call it one, is that she's made of paper. Single counterattacks will sometimes outright kill her and she's not great for tanking enemy magic attacks either. But given that this is the weakness of almost every other spellcaster in the game, it's hard to really see it as one.

Lysithea is a bit of an honorary Black Eagle, even if you don't recruit her in the academy phase, you can still recruit her later in Crimson Flower if you so choose. Her backstory is pretty intimately tied with them, so I thought it appropriate that she join the team early so we could have along for more of it. That and she's a much needed power injection to a team that's lacking a few key members at the moment.

The Plan

Noble->Monk->Mage->Pegasus Knight->Archer->Warlock->Dark Flier/Gremory

Her plan unsurprisingly echoes noted good mage Constance, so the standard caster plan with Swift Sparrow and Hit+20.

Conclusion

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Nov 9, 2021

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Episode 07 - Rumors of a Reaper - With Myself??

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Unit Reviews

Shamir Nevrand

Lck: 55%
Cha: 30%
Strengths: Lance, Bow
Weaknesses: Faith
Personal Skill: Survival Instinct: If unit initiates combat and defeats foe, grants Str/Mag/Dex/Spd +4 for one turn.More
Detail along with Rea's thoughts here: https://rhematic.net/fe3h_lp/updates/shamir/

Nat's Thoughts

Shamir is a mixed bag. If you know what you’re doing she’s going to be a monster but if you don’t jump through a bunch of very specific hoops she’s going to end up middling at best.

Her statline is geared to one thing, crits. She has far and away the highest crit growth in the game, with a growth rate of 55% in both dexterity and luck. She has decent strength and speed, but her speed growth is not really enough to keep up doubles in Maddening. So basically, later, she’s critting or she’s pinging people for a little bit of damage from far enough away that she can get away with it.

What can push Shamir over the edge though is her recruitment. Shamir, as you’ve seen is recruitable as early as Chapter 7 and will come in as a level 11 Sniper. Sniper, as most of you well know, is an advanced class and happens to be the class that confers the best modifiers to crit growth in the game. Sniper Shamir has a 75% Dex growth and a 65% Luck growth. And obviously, nobody else has access to these growths until level 20. This means that levelling Shamir in Sniper can easily push her over the limit of what the game expects, even on Maddening and mean that she remains lethal to the end game.

The flip side of this is that the later Shamir’s recruited, the lower the benefit she gets from this trait, with the well eventually completely drying up. It also means that you very explicitly want to make sure that Shamir only levels up in Sniper, which can make mastering other classes at the intermediate stage somewhat more fraught.

I have high hopes for her though, having optimised her recruitment and as I plan to optimise her use in this run through.

The Plan

Sniper->Archer->Brigand->Pegasus Knight->Sniper->Bow Knight (Maybe)

A weird pattern reflecting the overall weirdness around her recruitment. Realistically we’ll be darting in and out of Sniper a lot, with me switching her out when I create a mastery trap and then switching her back into Sniper for story missions. I tend to like endgame Sniper more than Bow Knight because of Sniper’s Volley and the fact that Crimson Flower hates horses.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Dec 8, 2021

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Unit Reviews

Leonie Pinelli The Goddess of Death

HP: 40%
Def: 40%
Spd: 60%

Strengths: Lance, Bow, Riding
Personal Skill: Rivalry: If a male ally is adjacent, unit deals 2 extra damage and takes 2 less damage during combat.
More Detail along with Rea's thoughts here: https://rhematic.net/fe3h_lp/updates/leonie/

Nat's Thoughts

Where do you even begin with how straight up insane Leonie is? From my view she is arguably the best physical unit in the game, competing with Claude and Edelgard in my mind. She easily trends into the top five overall.

Leonie is fast, she's in second place overall behind Yuri and tied with Ingrid, Manuela and Petra. To add to this, she's operating on a decent strength growth of 40% or so, meaning that whilst she'll never be a powerhouse, it's unlikely that she's going to end up massively deficient in that area. So immediately you're getting a unit that's likely to double and hit for decent damage, which is enough to carry a few characters on Maddening.

Of course this is the bare minimum of her toolkit. She has an absolutely monstrous Dex growth of 55%, third overall behind Claude and Lysithea, tied with Shamir, Ashe and Bernadetta and lands that on a Luck growth of 40%, which is again, not bad. So she's accurate and unlikely to be crit. But of course as we examined in our Petra analysis, these stats combine for crit. Leonie is third overall in the game for crit, behind Claude and Shamir, tied with Petra. Except unlike Shamir she has crit on an excellent speed growth, unlike Claude, she's a girl, so she gets darting blow and unlike Petra, her crit growth is biased to dexterity, making her more accurate.

Wo Dao/Cursed Ashiya Sword Leonie will as an assassin or a swordmaster crit basically every sword attack she touches an opponent with. As I mentioned, with Petra this is incredibly good, but with Leonie, it's absolute madness.

This is because Leonie, on top of all this offense runs a 40% defense growth for reasons I do not understand. To be clear, the highest defense growth in the game is Dedue at 50%, followed by Raphael, Gilbert and Balthus at 45%. Except she's running that level of defense on incredibly high speed. It is not unfair to say that Leonie is probably the best physical tank in the game on Maddening as a result because almost nothing will double her and when she does get hit, she's taking in on high defenses with a low crit chance.

Her personal skill, is again, one of the best in the game, with a straight +2/-2 early being pivotal on Golden Deer and still powerful when she's defending deep into the midgame and she has no weaknesses, which means she's incredibly adaptable, able to fulfill any physical role on any team.

To top this all off, Leonie is the best at performing my own innovation in Fire Emblem Three Houses:

Astrathality.

Astra, a Sword Art from mastering Swordmaster, gives a character the ability to hit an opponent five times for 30% damage. These are all regular attacks and can crit which makes Astra powerful on any crit focused character to begin with, since multiple strikes let you law of averages out your crit damage into something more reliable. Good but not worth keeping someone in Swordmaster, surely?

Lethality , the passive from mastering Assassin, gives a character a chance equal to 0.25*DEX% to instantly kill an opponent. This is terrible, at best it's maybe a 20% chance to instantly kill something on a double.

Of course when you combine the two you get something completely different. Some annoying maths eventually spits out that if a character hits something with Astra whilst having Lethality skilled, they have a DEX% chance to instantly kill their opponent.

The major use case for this combination is monster slaying. Stage 3 monsters in Maddening can have upwards of 150 HP, but most aren't immune to Lethality. So a chance to wipe them off the map in one action is valuable.

And unsurprisingly, with no weaknesses, being blazing fast and having nearly the best Dex in the game, Leonie ends up executing this to near perfection.

So to cap it off Leonie is:

1. One of the best physical attackers in the game.
2. The best physically defensive unit in the game.
3. One of the best monster slayers in the game.

And she's slept on because she has a bad Byleth support.

The Plan

Archer->Pegasus Knight->Brigand->Assassin->Swordmaster

Leonie is picking up Hit+20 and Swift Sparrow like all the physical girls before I send her through Assassin and Swordmaster to pick up Astrathality. She'll remain in one of these based on the map type until the end of the game.

Conclusion

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Dec 8, 2021

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Smiling Knight posted:

Raging Storm is unbelievably powerful, the best single unit ability in the game, but I do think that Dimitri's battalion wrath/vantage is not too far behind -- on demand almost invincible enemy phase that cleanly wipes even endgame enemies is really, really good.

The issue I take with Battalion Vantage/Wrath is the degree of dedication it takes to obtain before Dimitri has his tantrum.

Broadly on New Game, either, you forgo Death Blow and Hit+20 on Dimitri to make him work during the tantrum, or you don't and he functions in the midgame.

It's very powerful but Dimitri feels like he's completely crippled before it. Actually it's more like he's crippled by his axe weakness and this helps him back from the brink.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Episode 08 - Field of the Eagle and Lion with Bifauxnen

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Hey everyone! I feel like now is about the time for a catch up with our team and their growths, before we introduce and analyse our new friends. Since Shamir, Lysithea and Leonie only joined recently, we're going to avoid looking at them.

The incredibly handy fe3h.com has a stat calculator here that I'll be using extensively.

Values in my game are on the left, estimated values are in brackets on the right.

They aren't *perfect* I haven't written down exactly how many levels a person has in each class, but since I've tried to level them optimally values will be at most a decimal out.

Byleth - Level 15 - Thief

code:
HP  37 (34.8)
STR 19 (19.55)
MAG 13 (10.9)
DEX 17 (17.8)
SPD 18 (16.8)
LCK 18 (14.3)
DEF 09 (10.9)
RES 10 (9.95)
CHA 23 (13.8)
So the obvious outlier for Byleth is his Charm. It's nearly 10 points above the expected average. This is entirely reasonable though because hosting Tea parties for birthdays lets Byleth increase his charm stat each time he has one, so by the end of the game that stat will be monstrous for him. Beyond that, my Byleth is notably a little faster than he should be, which I've been feeling, but lacks in his defense, which I've also been feeling a little. The speed generally offsets the higher damage, so right now he's in a good space.

Edelgard - Level 16 - Brigand

code:
HP  44 (39.3)
STR 27 (24.1)
MAG 14 (12.75)
DEX 11 (11.75)
SPD 11 (14)
LCK 10 (9.8)
DEF 10 (11.25)
RES 10 (8.7)
CHA 19 (19.75)
I've definitely noticed what's happened with Edelgard. Her strength is absolutely monstrous, she's three points above the (very high) norm and has +2 str on top of that from her skills. But her speed is absolutely terrible, almost everything gets a double on her, and she's not running her usual defense to deal with it. Fortunately this is fine for her because all she really needs is for her axe combat arts to hit like a truck and boy do they. If her speed remains this abysmal her promotion to Wyvern Rider will be able to rectify some of it, with a base speed of 14. One of the bigger problems I'm having with Edelgard is that she's too strong. It's proving to be very difficult to get levels on her classes because the typical class XP trap doesn't work when you hit for 10 damage using a rusted bow.

Dorothea - Level 15 - Mage

code:
HP  30 (30.1)
STR 8 (7.55)
MAG 18 (18.1)
DEX 17 (13.55)
SPD 14 (12.6)
LCK 12 (10.9)
DEF 05 (5.85)
RES 14 (14.4)
CHA 12 (14.1)
I've spent a lot of time thinking Dorothea was allergic to getting Magic levels, but she's actually dead on average here. Her speed is a little better than normal, but most important is her surprisingly good growth in Dex, which means she's more accurate from 3 range, where she often likes to sit. Her low Charm is a little bit of a worry, but it's not crippling as it is.

Hubert - Level 16 - Mage

code:
HP  26 (27.8)
STR 12 (10.2)
MAG 22 (21.85)
DEX 16 (14.05)
SPD 13 (13.75)
LCK 16 (11.25)
DEF 08 (7.45)
RES 10 (15.55)
CHA 12 (12)
Well any hopes of Hubert tanking anything are out the window. He appears to be on a Res protest. Beyond that, he's seemingly copying Dorothea, with a high Dex growth helping significantly with his 3 range spells. All in all, straddling the average in his offenses is fine by me and should work out well enough for him.

Yuri - Level 15 - Brigand

code:
HP  31 (33)
STR 17 (18.55)
MAG 10 (11.55)
DEX 12 (12.8)
SPD 18 (17.8)
LCK 11 (13.4)
DEF 09 (9.6)
RES 11 (11.7)
CHA 18 (15.5)
Things aren't really going well for Yuri. His allergy to attacking stats is beginning to become a bother and it's not helped by stats that, aside from Charm as across the board, weaker than they should be. He's still usable, windsweep and good speed mean that he's able to hit things and tank a little, but he's in the awkward position of nothing really being low enough that a class change would fix it.

Ferdinand - Level 15 - Brigand

code:
HP  39 (39)
STR 16 (17.05)
MAG 08 (7.8)
DEX 13 (11.6)
SPD 12 (15)
LCK 12 (11.6)
DEF 10 (10.9)
RES 05 (4.3)
CHA 16 (13.3)
Ferdinand, oh poor Ferdinand. He's not a great unit to begin with and right now he's got the same hatred of speed that Edelgard does but without any of the corresponding strength growth. Ferdinand is struggling very hard right now. He gets doubled easily, he doesn't hit very hard back. He'd be a prime dancer candidate I suppose, but Dorothea's just my preferred option for that role. Wyvern Lord might be able to do work to fix his speed issues, but it's going to be hard for him to justify his spot in the army as things stand.

Constance - Level 17 - Mage

code:
HP  26 (26.75)
STR 11 (7.45)
MAG 26 (22.1)
DEX 14 (12.55)
SPD 14 (11.9)
LCK 10 (9.05)
DEF 06 (4.75)
RES 09 (11.8)
CHA 17 (11.2)
Of course then we have Constance. My Constance is a monster. There's no other way to describe her. Her Magic growth is completely bananas, going four points higher than expected and she's paired it which a speed growth that's two points higher than expected. That's not to discount her Luck, Dex or Charm which are all above what's expected for her. She's even surprisingly strong for some reason. As she is, most of maddening will fall to her and I hope she's able to keep it up!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Unit Reviews

Felix Hugo Fraldarius

Str: 55%
Mag: 30%
Spd: 55%
Cha: 30%

Strengths: Sword, Bow, Brawling
Weaknesses: Reason, Authority
Aptitude: Reason: Black Magic Crit +10: Grants Crit +10 when using black magic.

Personal Skill: Lone Wolf: Unit deals 5 extra damage when no battalion is assigned or when battalion endurance is 0.

More Detail along with Rea's thoughts here: https://rhematic.net/fe3h_lp/updates/felix/

Nat's Thoughts

I want to call Felix a newbie trap, but that feels very unfair to him. He is set up in a way that makes him seem tremendously powerful with drawbacks that show up later in the game though, so perhaps it's not too unfair.

Felix is the Blue Lions analogue for Petra and Leonie. Felix trades crit and a little speed for more strength which is fine but pushes him away from the crit based builds I discussed for the two girls. Instead he relies on his good growths in the physical offensive stats to power through the game. He's helped by the crest of Fraldarius which gives a 40% chance to hit for an additional 5 damage on any attack. On a double this plays out as a 74% chance to proc, which are pretty good odds as things go.

On the flipside he's not all that sturdy, both his defensive growths are middling to poor, so he'll often have to rely on his speed to tank most enemies.

Felix's personal skill is why I think of him as a newbie trap. Early on, when the game is often the most difficult it feels incredibly powerful. Your battalions are bad and he effectively gets a conditionless +5 damage all around which is absolutely bonkers. So a lot of people will gravitate to him as a result.

But very quickly, battalion power, utility and levels will catch up to this and outstrip it, meaning that Felix has the choice to use his personal skill or equip a battalion on an authority weakness. And authority weaknesses are absolutely awful to deal with because of just how strong battalions are in this game.

So ultimately whenever I've run him, I've seen Felix fall off in the mid to endgame as his raw power doesn't compete with the characters equipping B rank battalions.

That said, 55/55 offensive growths are nothing to sneeze at and he will absolutely pull his weight in this campaign.

The Plan

Archer->Brigand->Assassin->Wyvern Rider->Wyvern Lord.

Felix will be doing the standard physical male combo into Wyvern Lord. He'll be doing it by way of assassin though as getting him into archer and brigand prevented me from getting him ready enough for Wyvern Rider on level 20. That's fine, Assassin is perfectly serviceable for him though.

Conclusion

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Dec 8, 2021

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Episode 09 - The Flame in the Darkness with Alxprit

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Unit Reviews

Annette Fantine Dominic

HP: 25%
Mag: 50%
Dex: 50%
Spd: 35%

Strengths: Axe, Reason, Authority
Weaknesses: Bow, Heavy Armor
Personal Skill: Perseverance: Use Rally to grant Str +4 to an ally.

More Detail along with Rea's thoughts here: https://rhematic.net/fe3h_lp/updates/annette/

Nat's Thoughts

Annette is interesting. When you look at her growths she's a less powerful Lysithea/Constance, which is unsurprising given that she's a mage in this game. But she also doesn't really compare that well to most of the secondary tier mages in the game, Hubert has a higher Magic and Speed growth for example. I was quick to write her off when I first played and even during my run on Blue Lions Maddening, I quickly replaced her out. I'm unsure of that choice myself now.

Annette brings rallies. At C+ authority she gains access to the very potent Rally Str/Rally Spd combo. Ordinarily, I dislike rallies. I believe that a unit dedicated to that slot is wasted unless we're talking the spectrum AoE rallies from Awakening or Fates. But Annette has me reconsidering. See, despite her growths she doesn't have a terrible chassis. She's a girl so she gets all the benefits of Pegasus Knight and Gremory to help her low speed and help her bias her magic growth and she has a spell list that ends in Excalibur, aka the Flier destroyer. So she can develop into a decent mage who can, in addition to what she normally does, give a physical character +4/+4. On top of that her healing list isn't exactly bad either, sporting Recover. It's very different to the likes of Alois and Ignatz who are awful units, using rally as a crutch to justify their existence.

So ultimately she's a mage that gives up some power for a spot of extra utility and honestly, the rallies have helped often enough that I don't hate the trade.

The Plan

Archer->Mage->Warlock->Gremory

Annette joined us a little later and I didn't really want to bother expending the resources to get her into Pegasus Knight. (Which yes, invalidates my commentary somewhat but meh). She should do fine in her role as support/pinch hitter with this though.

Conclusion

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Dec 8, 2021

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Yeah I suppose you're right on Recover.

Although you could be Ferdinand and have Heal/Ward/Restore for some godforsaken reason.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Unit Reviews

Marianne von Edmund

Mag: 50%
Res: 45%

Strengths: Sword, Faith, Riding, Flying
Weaknesses: Brawling, Heavy Armor
Aptitude: Lance: Frozen Lance: +3 Mt, +5 Hit, 1 range, costs 4 durability. Deals magic damage. Might increases based on user's Dexterity.

Personal Skill: Animal Friend: Unit recovers up to 20% of max HP at the start of each turn when adjacent to a cavalry or flying ally.

More Detail along with Rea's thoughts here: https://rhematic.net/fe3h_lp/updates/marianne/

Nat's Thoughts

Marianne screams healer, she screams it at the top of her lungs and is unafraid of that being her role in life.

In doing so she comes with all the conceits, the best res growth in the game, appalling defense, decent mag and terrible strength. What differentiates her from Lind and Mercedes is that she learns Silence.

Silence is a very reliable support art that prevents an opponent from using magic. It even works on a range of bosses. This can be handy for setting up better initiation ranges or avoiding multiple attacks on a single unit when you’re trying to pull a pack.

Other than that, she runs a decent Mag growth on a diverse offensive spell list, bosting Thoron for range and Fimbulvetr or Aura for damage.

Oddly enough, her strength with Swords and Soulblade on her good res growth means that she’s not half bad at using a Levin sword or a heavy, high damage weapon to alpha down something powerful.

As always, she’s a healer on Maddening so she’s liable to explode if something gets to damage her with a physical attack and her personal skill, outside of a very specific class farming scenario is relatively useless. But you could go a lot worse than Marianne for the dedicated healer on your team.

The Plan

Archer->Priest->Bishop->Holy Knight

Marianne joined us later than the others and isn't going to be run as an offensive piece. I'm putting her in Holy Knight instead of Gremory because by god if I can let Marianne ride Dorte I will.

Conclusion

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Dec 15, 2021

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Episode 10 - The Cause of Sorrow with Fedule

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Unit Reviews

Lorenz Hellman Gloucester

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Dec 8, 2021

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Episode 11 - Where The Goddess Dwells with Alxprit

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

ApplesandOranges posted:

I mean, Leonie made it work for her.

Leonie made it work in so far as, yes, if you're amazing with every physical weapon then by definition you're also a good archer.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Unit Reviews

Raphael Kirsten

HP: 65%
Str: 50%
Mag: 15%
Def: 45%
Dex: 35%
Res: 10%
Spd: 15%

Strengths: Axe, Brawling, Heavy Armor
Weaknesses: Bow, Reason, Riding

Personal Skill: Goody Basket: Chance to recover up to 10% of max HP at the start of each turn. Trigger % = Lck stat.

More Detail along with Rea's thoughts here: https://rhematic.net/fe3h_lp/updates/raphael/

Nat's Thoughts

Raphael has one plan, he is going to punch people. He is going to punch them hard in their stupid faces and they are going to regret being near him when he decides to do so. Raph runs a decent strength growth, but absolutely godawful speed, so he naturally wants to use gauntlets or quick riposte to allow him to double more naturally. He does this on an absolutely excellent HP growth and an amazing defense growth, allowing him to run as a pretty strong physical tank.

But Raph has problems. His terrible speed and awful res mean that any mage that looks at him is going to end his day on a double and again, his awful speed means that on Maddening, most units are doubling him on very high strength, meaning he's going to eat a lot of damage and that means he's going to eat a lot of actions on needing to be healed at the best.

Typically people see Raph and, seeing his strengths, put him into War Master, but like basically everyone under the sun he'll do more work for you as a Wyvern Lord with a Brave axe than anything else. His Bow weakness is unfortunate, making it a little bit more difficult to get him to hit+20 if you're that way inclined.

Other than that, there isn't much to say about the big guy. His personal skill is nearly completely useless though, but his strengths are usually powerful enough that needing him for Reunion At Dawn will keep him from the chopping block for Golden Deer runs.

The Plan

Brigand (In theory, I keep forgetting to get it on him when I find a decent grind map so this might not happen)->Warrior->War Master.

I recruited Raph late so he's not getting the full Hit+20 Death Blow fun that his buddies are. He's going into War Master rather than Wyvern Lord, more for variety than anything else as well as to put a little less pressure on my battalions. It's likely that he'll get phased out near the end of the campaign though, I largely wanted his paralogue and his body for tanking in the upcoming chapters.

Conclusion

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
On a seperate note: Have you done the Ashen Wolf Paralogues? Do you want to spend 30 minutes to an hour of your time making fun of me about Fire Emblem? Then PM me or something so we can deal with the fun that is Chapter 11 and Paralogueaggedon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
My Lorenz analysis being completely evenhanded and true aside.

Lorenz as a Dark Mage ends up functional for RaD, nobody else is using that class anyway. Healer Ignatz is equally functional, he gets physic which is basically all you need really. On my VW Maddening run I dropped them like hot potatoes afterwards, but I knew that they were coming as part of the first wave so I didn't neglect them.