Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wallet Inspector
Jun 15, 2012

Poor Hubert definitely suffers from a bad case of 'worse than Lysithea, and also Constance if DLC'. You can stuff all the magic boosters into him and his spells end up capable of OHKOing enemies...but Lysithea and Constance can also do this, and have better utility spells to boot. He's at his most useful earlygame - very fast access to a 3 range spell, a better spell list than Lysithea pre-B ranks, and he can rush his lance budding talent to get Frozen Lance and start OHKOing enemies as soon as chapter 3 with a Steel Lance. A Bow boon for Archer to get the Hit+20 skill is kinda neat, but it's not that difficult to get to D+/C bows, and on a new game playthrough I feel the authority boon isn't quite as useful as on Melee focused units as higher level magic batallions are slower to arrive (and again, Lysithea and Constance also get this!).

While I think Dorothea is a worse pure mage overall than Hubert (her Magic has never been good enough, at least from my playthroughs, to get to that level where she can OHKO enemies), her utility is at least different - between Physic, Meteor, Rally Charm and her personal skill, being outclassed by the powerhouse mages doesn't mean she's just left with nothing useful to do. I do find her personal skill frustrating sometimes though - I'm trying to keep Bernadetta below her max HP for her personal skill damnit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wallet Inspector
Jun 15, 2012

I think Claude is the worst of the 3 lords overall. Early game he doesn't add as much to the team as Dimitri's big damage with Tempest Lance or Edelgard's... just general good-ness (base ranks in Axe and Armor and solid base stats). For the first few chapters I actually think he's worse than Leonie (to be fair, I also think Dimitri is worse than Dedue early game). Late game his personal class is cool but just doesn't match up to Raging Storm or Battalion Wrath/Vantage strats.

Wallet Inspector
Jun 15, 2012

Natural 20 posted:

The issue I take with Battalion Vantage/Wrath is the degree of dedication it takes to obtain before Dimitri has his tantrum.

Broadly on New Game, either, you forgo Death Blow and Hit+20 on Dimitri to make him work during the tantrum, or you don't and he functions in the midgame.

It's very powerful but Dimitri feels like he's completely crippled before it. Actually it's more like he's crippled by his axe weakness and this helps him back from the brink.

I just skip Death Blow on Dimitri tbh. Last time I played maddening BL he got to A Auth in... I think chapter 9? with a Sword focused Dimitri in the Lord class, which gives bonus Authority points - probably Chapter 10 if you were sticking with Lances. He's worse around Chapter 8, which is when you'd usually master Death Blow, but I think that's the easiest part of the game anyway so who cares. And once he gets the enemy phase strat going, who cares about 6 player phase damage. I do think Archer and Hit +20 is a must on him but you can get D+ bows without too much pain on top of the Sword or Lance/Riding training, and he can take his time getting mastery of that in some of the monster focused levels like Byleth paralogue and chapter 10.

I think Edelgard is better though because she's more useful in the early early game (and in a harder route too as you don't get Dedue and then Catherine/Cyril to help carry) and Raging Storm is very dumb.