Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Late to earlier unit discussion but it's wild to me that each of the three main houses has a physical girl that quietly sneaks up to be one of your strongest units (Petra, Ingrid, Leonie). And while their stat growths aren't too dissimilar to each other, the game makes you think they're designed differently. Petra is meant to be an assassin, Ingrid a flier, and Leonie a bow user that crits all day.

Of course since in 3H they can all kinda perform in each other's roles too, and in that regard I think Leonie pulls ahead. Ingrid has slightly lower Str and notably lower Dex growths, so her main benefit is having a Crest. Leonie has slightly better Def and Dex compared to Petra, and I think that pulls her ahead. Petra does have Finesse Blade and she makes a good dodge Dancer, but I think all things considered Leonie is the best of the three physical girls.

Cythereal posted:

To be honest... I think Constance is broken, in a bad way. One of my biggest gameplay issues with Three Houses is how the game's open-ended class development and ease of poaching makes many characters redundant when you can so easily get other, better options. The mages in particular suffer from this, Hubert and Linhardt are kneecapped immediately by not being women, and Annette can be quickly disregarded except as a rally bot. Everyone not named Lysithea and Marianne, in my book, struggles to provide a reason to pick them, whether it's Dorothea's access to Meteor or Mercedes' access to Fortify.

And then here comes Constance who is just better again than Lysithea, herself already one of the most unbalancing characters in the game.

Constance is emblematic of the reasons I dislike 3H's mechanical design of characters in general, and Cindered Shadows in particular. If you buy Cindered Shadows, you are making a conscious choice to make your character composition weaker by not getting Constance, which is trivially easy.

The punchy dudes also suffer from this, since Balthus pretty much stomps Caspar and Raphael hard and the only thing Dedue has going for him is that his Personal is amazing for early game.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Nov 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Leonie's also generally sold as an 'archer' and I'm assuming you keep her as one. She's also a pretty darn good one since she gets a bonus from Alois support.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
She's usually fought as a cavalier/paladin but with her and Linhardt's paralogue giving a bow, and her support with Shamir, the game strongly associates her with being an archer.

And yeah, I tend to sit her on a pegasus for a while too, because it's basically having a second Claude.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Cythereal posted:

This is the only part of your post I disagree with. In my book, neither Claude nor Edelgard belong in a conversation about the best physical unit in the game. To me, that's a conversation about Dimitri, Felix, Catherine, Ferdinand, and Leonie. Dimitri's hamstrung by his awkward class path, Felix by his Authority weakness, Ferdinand by his personal getting off to a slow start (and Dimitri nay-sayers, note that Dimitri gets Ferdinand's personal baked into his own in part two), and Catherine by her pre-promote nature.

And personality-wise, I love Leonie with everyone who's not Byleth. Along with Marianne, she's one of the characters I poach every run.

Wait you're knocking all those you list but what's wrong with Claude or Edelgard?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Claude's offensive growths are very similar to Leonie: same Str, Claude has 5% more Dex, Leonie has 5% more Spd. Leonie has better Def, Claude has better Cha. On paper they perform near identically in terms of crit-killing, and Claude also gets all his unique benefits. RNG is RNG and sometimes you just get bad rolls, but Claude pretty much does everything Leonie does outside of being able to hop on a pegasus. Leonie's Personal is really good and her better Def means she does a better job of actually keeping in range of multiple archers, but in terms of actually deleting units they're pretty comparable.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Extra turns is extremely valuable and there's a reason Awakening's endgame tier list was basically: do you have Galeforce? If not, can you get Galeforce?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Dimitri is very good even without Battalion/Vantage at least, and is probably the best unit on the Blue Lions if your Ingrid gets STR-screwed.

Cythereal posted:

She has Raging Storm.

Beyond that, I honestly just rate her as a second tier character. She's in the vein I place Ingrid, Petra, Seteth, Hilda, Shamir, and Claude (and on the magical side, Dorothea, Mercedes, and Marianne). A very good unit, but not the best outside her one unique trick. Yeah, she's an amazing wyvern. There's a lot of those. Her personal class is mediocre and she has extreme difficulty combining what I see as her particularly unique thing - her 50% or better STR and MAG - beyond the gimmicky role of Dancer, whose other unique property for combat doesn't apply if she's toting Aymr. Heck, Seteth arguably belongs in the top tier.

Even in a hypothetical fifth route where everyone's on the same side, I just don't think I'd use Edelgard beyond the beagles' early game except for if she gets Raging Storm to abuse.

The way I play, I do most of my killing in the enemy phase.

Raging Storm is still extremely valuable even if you're a mostly EP player. The ability to duck in and out of threat range is extremely, extremely good. Her personal class is bad, but you don't use it.

Being arguably the best offensive wyvern is pretty much a big case for one of the top tier units considering how good wyvern actually is. 'But not the best outside of her unique trick' is a disservice to how good that trick actually is. Why wouldn't you take one of her best aspects into account? It's like rating Olivia without Dance or Constance without her Crest or Bolting.

Seteth is a very good unit but in no way is he cracking the top tiers.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Huh, I've always seen Ingrid as the analogue to Petra/Leonie. Sure she's not nearly as strong, but she can go into the same classes they do and she (RNG willing) blossoms really well into mid and late game like they do, whereas with Felix like you said he can kinda wobble and fall off a little.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Annette plays out a lot better in practice than on paper, in my experience. The Wind line really helps to offset her speed growth and allow her to double in cases where Mercedes would fail, and her Faith line is solid offensively if you need an extra punch on monsters. She's hardly the best mage out there, but I think given her gender and spell/rally list she's a good option to round out a team that already has two of Constance/Dorothea/Lysithea.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Marianne is also a decent Dancer since Swords/Magic is right up her alley, but I do think Dorothea generally beats her considering their similarities.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Lorenz is the most baffling unit design in 3H to me. He's supposed to be your mixed attacker; he's designed to go either down the Cav or Mage lines. The problem is that he's kinda terrible at both because of his Speed. As a Cav it's dumpstered even further, so his only saving grace there is Frozen Lance. As a mage, he's a little bulkier than most other pure mages, but he's usually too slow to double and he's a guy with no real good Faith list, so he's just... there to drop a nuke and hope it kills or forever just be there to soften enemies up.

He might end up as an okayish Dark Knight, but why would you go to the trouble to trudge through the mediocrity.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Ignatz is designed as an Archer but he can very certainly go Assassin or even a mage (though being a guy, he still has that going against him). Notably, as a mage, his personal skill offsets the lower hit rate of the Blizzard line while taking advantage of its higher crit rate. That's certainly more than what Lorenz has to offer.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I mean, Leonie made it work for her.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The upside of Raphael is that he'll pick up Healing Focus pretty easily and can pretty much use it to keep himself decently healthy (and to maintain Quick Riposte). Having so much HP also means it'll heal more, too.

Honestly he's an alright unit, and GD generally lacks frontliners anyway (Lorenz is usually better off as a mage, even with his flaws in that class)... his main issue really is that Balthus exists. Otherwise he's good punch unit, better than Caspar and easier to keep relevant than Dedue.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Dancer Raphael is also funny because he has so much bulk and you can either throw him a Sword for Sword Avo or just go barehanded and he'll do fine on the frontlines.

He also has the best colour scheme as a Dancer.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I read a post once where someone made a case for Mortal Savant Manuela; with her Spd growth, she's certainly one of the better options for it. It's still a pretty bleh class, but I think the only (kinda) valid options for the class are her, Byleth, Felix and Ignatz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
That's the price you pay for three extremely strong characters and Hapi.