Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
Personally, I'm not a big fan of Maddening's design philosophy, but at least the giant numbers boost for enemies and the time pressure of having the entire map eventually come down on your head if you take too long made you actually think about batallion usage. however... that's about it. They never really do much more of interest beyond throwing a pseudo-weapon triangle back in via the breaker skills (although there are a few cute additional skills that tend to come standard to specific unit types).

I preferred the really dialed in puzzle aspect of Conquest Lunatic, personally. They did some really clever things with completely recontextualizing maps with the changes they made there, whereas three houses is mostly just going from a complete sleep walk to having to think at least a little bit and have an optimized team. The strategy tends to be remarkably similar on most maps in practice I found so it's neat at first an quickly becomes tedious rather than fun.

That said, I'll still be looking forward to hearing your own opinions on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

I'm crushed at the implication that you don't intend to use Dancer Ferdinand.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

because dancing requires being close to the front line, since you need to be adjacent to the unit you want to dance at, I prefer the dodge tank variant of dancer since they can actually get in the thick of things without too much concern. Plus, Dancer Ferdie is just plain funny to me.

You also neglected to mention that as long as it is not spent, unless I am misremembering, meteor allows Dorothea to count for links as long as she's within meteor range of a target, which is some really nice utility just for standing there. This applies to all the massive range spells though, so she's not the only unit who can do that.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

The frustrating part is that they actually brought gender-locked classes back after they largely removed them in Fates, knee-capping female brawling units and male magic ones because ???

It doesn't help the magic oriented characters that they made so many of their spell lists bad and/or incredibly boring.

Speaking of Cindered Shadows, Hapi confuses me a lot. What were they going for? Her spell list is interestingly divergent from what Lysithea gets for dark magic and that is cool, but they made her speed situation incredibly dire and on top of that gave her a personal ability that is largely a liability. If they had given her actually good defensive growths, she could have been a pretty cool magic oriented tank, which was a role that was not particularly well filled in three houses base game. It's a shame because I like Hapi more than Constance.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Shiny777 posted:

It might have been a time issue to some degree, at least for the base game classes. Hilda gets replaced by a female War Master (who uses, IIRC, a Myrmidon sprite and model) if recruited on Azure Moon and I remember some people in the Games threads pointing out that gauntlets don't quite fit female models right, so the gender locks might have been a "gently caress it, we need to ship this, scrap the stuff we couldn't finish" thing.

I got nothing for why they couldn't have taken just a bit more time to throw male mages a bone with the DLC classes though.

Because Hubert can never be allowed to fly.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Those paralogues were extremely mean, yeah. They're wildly more difficult than other paralogues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

ApplesandOranges posted:

That's the price you pay for three extremely strong characters and Hapi.

Poor Hapi... they should have made her a weird tanky mage to play into her whole "monster prioritize me" gimmick.